XY OU RMT please!

Hello all! I'm back with a team that has evolved from my last RMT. charizard and excadrill have remained on my team but the last 4 positions have changed drastically. This team is used on my cartridge game so if you notice any funny natures it's because I cannot get my hands on a better natured one. Anyways hope you enjoy my team!

Charizard @ charizardite X
Jolly nature - Blaze - 248 HP / 156 Atk/ 108 spd
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

This is the Pokemon that my team is based around and why not? Charizard is a legend! With the megas introduced this gen and Charizard receiving not one but two, he became one of the best fire pokemon overnight. Anyways, this is the bulky variant of Charizard X. I once used the variant of Charizard X that didn't have Roost and missed it hugely. Charizard was often subjected to large amounts of damage from the opponent and had no way to survive the recoil from its Flare Blitz. I find this set to be a huge improvement from the last.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant nature - Mold Breaker - 252 Atk / 252 spd / 6 HP
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

When not in its mega forme, Charizard is x4 weak to rock type moves which means it takes 50% damage from stealth rock. So for Charizard, Excadrill is his saving grace, flying to the rescue on his minuscule air balloon. Excadrill is, in my opinion, the best rapid spinner of all time. It has a decent speed stat for a steel pokemon and also has pretty good attack to go with it to dent some of Charizards checks before fainting. Earthquake is pretty standard on Excadrill because it is his main stab move. Rock slide is for coverage and I'm not sure what to replace Swords Dance for. I have only ever used it once and Excadrill never really has the time to set up and sweep.

Thundurus-T @Choice Scarf
Mild nature - Volt Absorb - 252 sp. Atk / 252 spd / 6 HP
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Thundurus is my scarf user on this team. Since it is scarfed I prefer a sp. Atk boosting nature over speed because with the speed boost thanks to its scarf it can outspeed pretty much anything. Thundurus' therian forme is also used over incarnate because of its huge sp. Atk increase over the incarnate version. Thunderbolt is used as it's main form of STAB with Volt Switch to create momentum and ease prediction. Dark Pulse is used to KO Ghost Pokemon who think they can outspeed me (Gengar) and Focus Blast is for KOing normal type pokemon since I have no other fighting move on any other of my pokemon. Thundurus is used over Jolteon because of it's flying typing since I have no other counter to Ground type moves.

Suicune Leftovers
Relaxed nature - Pressure - 252 HP / 252 def / 4 sp. def
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The classic CroCune set. I absolutely love using Suicune just for this set because it is so unpredictable. I run physically defensive Suicune because Calm Mind boosts it's sp. def. Scald is also used over Ice Beam for that chance to burn the opponent. Apart from that it's just a simple rest/ sleep talk set.

Bisharp Lum Berry
Adamant nature - Defiant - 252 Atk/ 252 spd / 4 HP
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance
Bisharp is an amazing pokemon because it can be either the red ranger or the blue one! We'll not just because of that. Bisharp has a brilliant attack stat and also a plethora of Dark type STAB moves. Sucker Punch is a must on all Bisharp because it is pretty slow in OU. Iron head is Bisharps best steel type STAB move and finally Night Slash as Bisharps secondary STAB dark move since it has a high critical hit ratio. Lum berry is it's held item over Life Orb because it often gets burned from ghost types that I send it out on.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Bold nature - Magic Guard - 252 HP / 252 def / 4 sp. Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Wish

Clefable is my fairy pokemon of choice, needed to check and KO all of Charizards dragon counters so it can set up dragon dances and sweep to end the game. Moonblast is Clefables best stab move and with a few calm mind boosts can really start to wreck like a steamroller. Wish is one of its two HP healing moves but I decided to run wish because only a handful of my pokemon have HP healing moves and Excadrill is needed throughout the game.

So that is my team. Please comment any suggestions to my team! I have thought long and hard about putting a stealth rock user in my team but don't know who to replace or who to replace it with. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
First off, Zard X probably wants Earthquake over Flare Blitz. But that's your call.
Second, you should use Knock off over Night Slash for Bisharp, because it takes away their item and does more damage than Night Slash if they have an item.
Third, I prefer Flamethrower over Stored Power on Clefable, or else Ferro completely walls you to death and could even kill you with Gyro Ball.
And fourth, for Excadrill, try Iron Head over Swords Dance, as Excadrill is mainly a spinner, it won't get many chances to sweep. Iron Head also hits Fairies really hard.
It seems like you also need some way of setting up hazards. Hazards are a big part of the game too. If you want, you could use SR over SD on Excadrill.

Since it is scarfed I prefer a sp. Atk boosting nature over speed
Can't you run modest over mild? Because then you can decrease your attack stat, which is the one you don't even need anyway.

Lum berry is it's held item over Life Orb because it often gets burned from ghost types that I send it out on.
I feel that lum berry is a wasted item because you already dedicated thundurus's dark pulse to ghost types. If you're afraid of burns, why not send in your clefable on a predicted will-o-wisp because magic guard prevents burn damage? Honestly LO bisharp is much better.

Thanks so much for the advice. The reason I have odd natures on Suicune and Thundurus is that I use this team on a cartridge and I couldn't catch a better natured one. If I had the choice then obviously I would use modest over mild on Thundurus and not a defence lowering one. This also is the case for not having stealth rock on Excadrill or Bisharp.

Anyways, onto the positive replies to changes. I totally agree with life orb on Bisharp. It gives her a much needed attack boost. I then replaced life orb from clefable and attached leftovers because wish is not always enough. I also loving having Flamethrower on Clefable so then my charizard doesn't need to take unnecessary damage from iron barbs on ferrothorn.

Thanks again! Really appreciate your help!

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Sucker Punch and Knock Off will be your go-to attacks on Bisharp, and you really want to keep it as alive as possible so I highly suggested Black Glasses over Life Orb. Ever-so-slightly less boost but you get the benefit of not losing HP every turn, plus Iron Head is going to OHKO most any Fairy anyway, especially if you get a Defiant or SD boost on it. I also suggest running max HP instead of SpD because it's built to be bulky, not necessarily a wall.

Everything else I could say I believe has already been said. You really should run Modest on Thundurus-T, someone mentioned SR or Iron Head over Swords Dance on Exca and I'm a strong advocate for Stealth Rock because your team would benefit from it, having a couple of sweepers of its own. See what works; SR and Iron Head are interchangeable though you aren't desperate for Fairy coverage so I'd say SR takes priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)