XY OU Yarr (Pirate-Themed OU Team)

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking on smogon for nearly half a decade, but this is my first post, so that's pretty fun. Anyway, I need help with my team. I finally have an OU team that shows promise (its highest position on the ladder so far is 1584, which by my standards is fantastic) but it definitely has some kinks that need to be worked out.

Here's a preview:

Import:
The Wench (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

First Mate (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

Bootstrap Bill (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Old Ironsides (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

The Plank (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Polly (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 20 Spe
- Roost
- Defog
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

I hate to disappoint, but the pirate theme is nickname-only. So yeah. This team originated when my buddy (who just got into competitive Pokemon) heard that Clefable was good this gen, and he wanted me to help him build a team around it. The Clefable, while still part of the team, didn't become part of the core, but because it was the first Pokemon, I'll list it first.

---

The Wench (Clefable) (F) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Flamethrower kicks ass. My team has an abundance of Ferrothorn checks already (everybody but Mamoswine and Hippowdon threatens it in some way), but situationally, Clefable ends up in that position the most. Scoring an OHKO on a Mega Scizor as it switches in is a very, very sweet feeling. Being able to check Steel-types means that Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Aegislash are all afraid to switch in, which allows Clefable to maintain momentum with ease. However, this set is totally walled by Heatran (it's worth noting that this Clefable beat a defensive Heatran in a PP stall, but that may have been situational).

Unfortunately, Clefable is much more likely to lose to Talonflame with this set, but I usually have SR up by the time Talonflame switches in. After taking 50% from SR and then additional damage from Brave Bird (and possibly Life Orb) recoil, Talonflame becomes easy to pick off, falling victim to Zapdos and Gyarados with ease, both of whom check it. In late game, when Talonflame usually comes out, Gyarados's ability to stall with Intimidate becomes really important.

---

Next, my buddy (henceforth referred to as George) wanted a bulky water. I looked at the available options and decided to go for Gyarados. This is my favorite Pokemon on the team and I'm really not looking to have it edited unless someone points out a pretty serious problem.

The Plank (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Switch in on a special hit, take it like a champ, set up a sub, Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, rinse, repeat. Gyarados can take a serious beating from anything barring Electric and Rock, but is very weak to SR and electric types tend to force it out if it's not behind a sub. Still, this thing has surprising longevity when played correctly, and spreading paralysis in the early game allows other Pokemon to sweep in the late game. This guy causes serious problems for teams lacking Aromatherapy or Heal Bell.

---

Next, I told George about FWG cores, so we decided to move forward with that idea, going with Charizard (Megazard Y) and Technician Breloom. Though Breloom quickly got the axe, Charizard stuck around, and has been the team's main sweeper ever since.

-->

Bootstrap Bill (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Good ol' Bootstrap hits like a truck. Flamethrower is more reliable than Fire Blast and can be spammed. Solar Beam cleanly OHKOs Rotom-W and most other water types, but is usually afraid to switch in, especially if rocks are up. Solar Beam and Flamethrower have great coverage, and Focus Blast rounds out the attacking moves, hitting fire-types neutrally and getting super effective coverage on normal-types, dark-types, and Heatran. Roost is handy when forcing switches and predicting Sucker Punches as it increases Charizard's longevity by a turn or two.

Stealth Rock is a serious problem for not only Charizard but my team in general. His speed also leaves quite a bit to be desired, but overall, I've found Charizard-Y to be very helpful late-game.

---

Breloom initially took this slot, but when it became apparent that this team is super weak to boltbeam coverage (especially from speedsters like Tornadus), we needed a check to such Pokemon. Ground/Ice typing, along with Thick Fat, made Mamoswine the perfect Pokemon for the job.

First Mate (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

Life Orb Mamoswine packs serious heat. Initially, this guy had a Choice Band, but Unbirthday suggested a Life Orb and I haven't looked back since. The decrease in power isn't super notable; the only real issue is the HP loss from each attack. And the tradeoff is too sweet to ignore: after predicting a switch-in, Mamo cripples it with the proper attack move, and then finishes the job with Ice Shard.

Icicle Crash does good damage to most of the meta, so I find myself using that attack a lot. Rock/Ice coverage is redundant on paper, but in practice, Stone Edge is usually a safe option to use when predicting a switch, and thus needs to stay on the set.

When Mamoswine shows up, common offensive electric types (I'm looking at you, Thundurus and Mega Manectric) are forced out immediately. Incidentally, Thick Fat effectively leaves Mamoswine without a fire weakness and with an ice resistance, which makes him perfect for checking Mega Manectric. Mamoswine and Charizard also have great offensive synergy.

---

Unbirthday suggested a few changes, the two biggest of which were switching Forretress for Zapdos and Gliscor for Hippowdon. Both have been changed, and the team is functioning much better now. Let's take a look at Zapdos first:

Polly (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

Zapdos is a bulky Defogger with key electric coverage. Unfortunately, Defog means that any SR I set up will be removed, but the team synergy makes the tradeoff alright. Its special attack is high enough that it can have a bit of an offensive presence, and electric+fire is decent coverage. Heat Wave also hits pretty hard in the sun if I need to switch Charizard into Zapdos (this is very situational, but I had it happen twice in roughly eight battles since I made the change). I debated between Thunderbolt or Discharge for a while, but ultimately went with Discharge because the paralysis chance is very nice. This set mostly belongs to Unbirthday, so I'm indebted to her :)

---

Ironically, the last Pokemon I added is the Pokemon I usually lead off with. Like Zapdos, this Hippowdon is courtesy of Unbirthday.

Old Ironsides (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Initially, I had a Gliscor here that had no attacks. It set up SR, used Toxic, and stalled. I've found that Hippowdon can stall Sandstorm damage if it needs to, and can also take hits from both physical and special attackers. Having only one type, it has no pesky 4x weaknesses, and can easily switch in on things that threaten Gyarados. In general, Hippowdon and Gyarados make a great defensive core, with Heatran sponging up attacks from both of Gyarados's weaknesses and Gyarados taking water-type attacks. Gyarados's special bulk also allows him to switch into most grass-type and ice-type attacks, which is super handy. Generally, Hippowdon sets up rocks, phazes through the opponent's team, and is a general nuisance until it goes down.

-----

So there you have it! I haven't been keeping an active threat list, but this team is very weak to water-types in general and also has trouble dealing with Chansey. C&C is more than welcome!

-----

BENCHED:

Initially, I stuck two other gimmicky Pokemon on the team from a past OU team onto this one to keep the team from being too frail. The first of these is Gliscor.

Stowaway Pete (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Here's a Gliscor with no attack moves. Though walled by all Poison and Steel types (as well as Taunters), it functions very well in the right environment as it simply doesn't die. This little guy has outstalled a Tyranitar that carried Ice Punch before and won 1v1.

Of course, Ice Beam from pretty much everything OHKOs. I like this Gliscor a lot, but I'm not sure how right he is for this team. After setting up SR, he doesn't have much to do besides spread Toxic, but I've found that I prefer spreading paralysis with Gyarados. Toxiced Pokemon can't be paralyzed, and paralyzed Pokemon can't be Toxiced. Basically, this means Gyarados and Gliscor kinda step on each others' feet.

---

And then there's Assault Vest Forretress.

Cannonball (Forretress) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Payback

This might be kinda stupid, but whatever. I'm pretty sure I want Leftovers (or even Choice Band) over Assault Vest, as Forretress doesn't survive special attacks anyway. Forretress is basically here to be a spinner (Gyarados and Charizard really can't afford to have rocks up), but hits Spinblockers on the switch hard with Payback. Volt Switch provides the opportunity for a slow switch and Gyro Ball is for powerful STAB.

---

Last edited:

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
Hi, I can see that your team is rather weak to Pinsir and Flying attacks in general. To remedy this, I would suggest to replace Forretress with a Zapdos. Zapdos not only checks Mega Pinsir, but also keeps the ability to remove entry hazards that Forretress gave you through Defog. It also offers more offensive presence than Forretress, and gives you something other than Charizard against Mega Scizor. As you said already, your Gliscor set conflicts with your Gyarados as you would rather have a Pokemon paralyzed to support Clefable and Charizard. As a replacement, Hippowdon seems to fit your team quite well as nothing really minds the same too much while it still keeps the Stealth Rock support offered by Gliscor. Specially defensive Hippowdon also helps with every non Grass Knot Thundurus, whose Life Orb sets can do quite a number to your team.

As for smaller changes, I would give your Clefable Calm Mind over Cosmic Power and give it a physically defensive spread to better handle physical attacks, in particular the Talonflame you talked about already. Leftovers should also be your item of choice as Toxic Orb doesn't really help Clefable since it really doesn't mind any other status, and the extra recovery is very helpful. Calm Mind means that you are no longer walled by Chansey and a physically defensive spread also gives you a more solid answer to Latios running Psyshock. Physically defensive Clefable in general has a much easier time to set up and as soon as you have enough special attack boosts through Calm Mind, the extra special attack becomes much less important. As you have mentioned, Air Slash is pretty redundant on Charizard, so Focus Blast is probably the right choice as it means you don't have to rely on your team mates to take out Tyranitar. Dragon Pulse is also an option, but you got Dragons covered rather well so Focus Blast would probably be your best bet. You should also consider running a Life Orb set on Mamoswine as choiced Ground attacks in general are pretty easy to take advantage of. Mamoswine also loves being able to change its coverage move thanks to its great dual typing, and a Life Orb doesn't lose you a lot of power. If you do this, consider replacing Stone Edge with Freeze Dry to do better damage to Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gyarados switching in and Quagsire as Stone Edge has a rather redundant coverage with Icicle Crash. Finally, you could change Substitute to some other move on Gyarados such as Rest (together with Sleep Talk over Dragon Tail probably), but if you don't want to replace it and it has been working then that's fine too.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge / Freeze-Dry

(If you decide to use Freeze-Dry on Mamoswine change the nature to Naughty or Lonely)

Replace Gliscor and Forretress with:

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind / Toxic / Ice Fang

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
For your Gliscor, set, I'd recommend running substitute over roost for better stalling. (Turn 1 use Sub, lose 25%, turn 2 use protect, get back 12.5%, turn 3 get hit by an attack; sub dies, back at full health, turn 4 sub again.) If you don't mind losing your SR setter, I'd recommend Earthquake over Stealth Rocks so he isn't complete taunt bait. On Forretress, instead of AV, use leftovers. Everything is fine except you might want to put SR or spikes over payback, because Forretress isn't really gonna do a lot of damage anyway, he's for spinning and hazards.
If you want a better spinner, you could try out Excadrill or Starmie, both of which have worked for me. You could opt to run stealth rocks on Excadrill too.
On Clefable, you might want to try out a wish passing set with calm mind, wish, protect and moon blast because none of your pokes seem to have any reliable form of recovery.
Overall nice team!

Thanks, guys!

I made the changes that Unbirthday suggested first and found that the team became much more successful. I also switched out Stored Power for Flamethrower on Clefable to nail Scizors on the switch, though this does mean that Clefable has a tougher time against defensive Heatran. (There was a 60-turn PP stall between Clefable and Heatran that Clefable ended up winning, but it was very close. I'm sure none of you want to see that replay anyway; it would probably take like 15-20 minutes just to watch, haha.) This means that I have no Psychic moves and 3 fire moves on the team, but this doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Clefable now has a tough time against fire-types in general, but I'd prefer to have something to deal with steel-type switches at the end of the day.

The Zapdos-Hippowdon-Gyarados defensive core has been working great. Paralysis spreads like wildfire, which lets Gyarados and Hippowdon spam Dragon Tail and Whirlwind, respectively, with reckless abandon. With SR up, it's pretty fun. Zapdos is MUCH more useful than Forretress ever was. Hippowdon hasn't impressed QUITE as much, but I definitely feel he's right for the team. Thanks, Unbirthday--everything's working much better now. The team feels much more cohesive. (P.S: Your sprites are beautiful! Did you make them yourself?)

Pikachu42: I think I'm gonna stick with Defog Zapdos to deal with entry hazards, but I appreciate your input! And you might be right about a more clerical Clefable--I'm debating a Wish-Protect-Aromatherapy-Moonblast set, although such a set would likely be better suited to Chansey. I'll play around with it.

I'm already laddering higher than I was before! I'll update the OP to include the current version of the team. Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Looking at this, I find your current Clefable set to feel rather lackluster, and it makes it needlessly more frail, letting it get 2hko'd by Pokemon like Latios's Psyshock, who is actually a pretty big threat otherwise, as the only thing you have to take it is Hippowdon, who can barely take two Draco Meteor's, and without prediction, can cause serious trouble. For this reason, I find Unbirthday's idea for a Bold 252 HP / 252 Defense Clefable's set to be way more useful, while still letting Clefable gain back the lost Sp.A with Calm Mind, as well as now (with Flamethrower over Stored Power) also beat Pokemon such as (Mega) Scizor and Ferrothorn and potentially go for a sweep lategame!

I know most of this is just what Unbirthday said, but I figured your experience with it involves the Clefable set I see in the OP. To be honest, this is a great team! You seem ready to get really high on the ladder! Best of luck.

Hi quickbobhero,

That's actually the exact set I've been using since Unbirthday posted--I just forgot to update the OP, my mistake. And you're right! Flamethrower kicks ass. My team has an abundance of Ferrothorn checks already (everybody but Mamoswine and Hippowdon threatens it in some way), but situationally, Clefable ends up in that position the most. Scoring an OHKO on a Mega Scizor as it switches in is a very, very sweet feeling. Unfortunately Clefable is much more likely to lose to Talonflame with this new set, but I usually have SR up by the time Talonflame switches in. After taking 50% from SR and then additional damage from Brave Bird (and possibly Life Orb) recoil, Talonflame becomes easy to pick off, falling victim to Zapdos and Gyarados with ease, both of whom check it. In late game, when Talonflame usually comes out, Gyarados's ability to stall with Intimidate becomes really important.

But thanks for the reminder and the encouragement! :) I'll update the OP with the changes to Clefable. I'll toss the import text up there, too, in case anybody wants to mess around with this team.

Edit: Everything's up to date!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)