Project NeverUsed Team Building Competition (Round 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Raseri and stolen shamelessly from Superpowerdude
Neverused Team Building Competitions!

The goal of this project is to hone your team building skills and understand how experienced NeverUsed players go about building their teams around a particular core. That being said, anybody can contribute and we encourage newer people to get involved. For this project there will also be an emphasis on creativity, so avoid boring standard teams being posted every round. To ensure this, teams can only use one of the following Pokemon: Shiftry, Feraligatr, and Spiritomb. With this condition in place, viable teams can still be made but it makes things a little more fun and prevents the same shit from being used round after round. So in summary the goals around this project are;
  • To hone team building skills around a particular core
  • Being creative in team building, yet still make viable teams
  • Learn from others on how they team build around a particular core
  • Discover new and effective cores in the metagame
  • For this to work best, constant feedback is preferred. If you have questions or comments about someone's team, speak your mind.
The rules of this thread are very simple, I post a core and users have a few weeks to team-build around that core. When time is up, people can post what they think was the best team for that week. I would prefer people to explain in one or two sentences why they chose the team that they voted for. Don't bandwagon just because a user has moderator, it doesn't mean they are going to post the best team. Votes will be tallied and a winner will be decided upon. Rules for posting:
  • Make the post presentable, use XY sprites and have the team in exportable format so it can be used and tested by voters.
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things, in fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. As always, don't be a jerk.
  • Use hide tags when posting your team, otherwise we will all hate you.
  • You can only have one of the following Pokemon on your team: Shiftry, Feraligatr and Spiritomb.
  • I will post when you have a day left to get your teams posted. Don't procrastinate. It will only go badly.
Okay with that said the first core is....
Vileplume and Seismitoad

These two Pokemon are very common in the metagame. Vileplume resists several common offensive threats, namely Fighting-, Grass-, and Water-type attacks. Its Special Defense is incredible and it is one of the best status absorbers in the game. Seismitoad, on the other hand, has one gaping weakness, Grass, that Vileplume makes up for. These two for a solid defensive core. Your job is to build the whole team.

But Alphose, why would I want to waste my time building a team that I'm just going to give away for free? I'm glad that you asked. As mentioned before, there will be a winner, as we will all vote. So, the winner of the round will be allowed into the NU Hall of Fame and will have their team and their name recorded in the OP. Second, Raseri will allow the winner to be a voice on #neverused or the Neverused room on PS! for as long as you remain active and helpful.

Based around a core of Vileplume and Seismitoad, we have a creative team that goes past just typing synergy. This team effectively works together to take down common threats and sets up the win condition that every team need. FLCL, winner of Round 1.

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earth Power

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Cryogonal @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Based around the core of Mismagius and Pawniard, we have a creative team that takes advantage of the hazard control that these two provide and uses it to push threats over the top. Soulgazer, winner of Round 2.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

Crustle @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
Happiness: 0
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Based around the core of Magmortar and Electivire, we have a creative team that takes advantage of these Pokemon's ability to break holes in opposing walls. The rest of the, mainly Lilligant and Mismagius, take advantage of these holes to sweep teams. Scorpedestroyer, winner of Round 3.

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Quiver Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Based around a core of Swellow and Gorebyss, we have a creative team that includes Camerupt and Roselia, a sentimental shout-out to BW NU. This team utilizes some underused Pokemon in a way that shows off their strengths. Shuckleking87, one of the two winners of Round 4.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Facade

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Healing Wish
- Knock Off

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

Based around a core of Swellow and Gorebyss, we have a team that uses Trapinch in a way that makes us all want to cry with happiness. His team is cleverly made yet still answers some of the most dangerous threats in the tier. Kiyo, one of the two winners of Round 4.

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Head Smash

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass

Vileplume @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Trapinch @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Vileplume @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earth Power

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Cryogonal @ Icicle Plate
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

the core doesn't really need much outside support but rather acts as a nice defensive backbone that balance teams can fall on while providing aromatherapy and stalth rock. one problem with it is that it can't really deal with bulky boosters such as spiritomb or uxie which is where pawniard and gurdurr come in. they can outmuscle most set up sweepers that the core can't handle while being able to act as win conditions. cryogonal helps deal with hazards and rotom revenge kills stuff

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

using the core for a stall team, steelix is a nice partner as it resists flying and psychic attacks which threaten vileplume and it just takes a lot of hits pretty well and prob my favorite poke to use (i use rest because there isnt too much else useful to use on defensive steelix other than protect maybe and heal bell support is nice with it). lickilicky provides heal bell support and wish support. i use hariyama to beat gorebyss and omastar which are annoying if they manage to setup a shell smash also i really needed to use a fighting-type because opposing lickilicky and audino would be annoying otherwise. spiritomb is there for pokemon like zangoose and malamar which is really annoying to stall teams. togetic is annoying to take down for this team, no ground resist too but it's managable

The core of seismitoad and vileplume is very good as it allows for each others weakness' to be resisted. Grass weakness of seis is cut off by plume and plumes fire weakness by seis. However, there are some mons that steam through this wall core such as life orb hp grass fires etc. Therefore, the team i will reccomend stops these weakness' from becoming a problem through a nice little technique i use to make teams called type synergy. This type of team building is beautiful because certain type combinations can be applyed to every tier, not just nu making it my personaly favourite technique of team building.

The thinking process

So we have the core of Seismitoad and Vileplume. At this juncture there are 3 types of attack that hit the core as we have no resists to these types. Our first weakness is that of flying, at the moment stuff like swellow rampage our team therefore it is important to have a strong resist to this. We are also weak to psychic attacks and ice type attacks as we also have no resists to these types. Therefore, i made it priority to resist these types to the best of my ability.
The pokemon that i believe does this best is Probopass. This mon boasts a huge resist vs flying, psychic and ice type pokemon due to its immense bulk on either side. The set i have decided to go with is the Steel trapper set. With magneton gone, probopass returns as the premier steel trapper in the entire team. The reason i use this particular set is because steels are often troublesome for vileplume and for other pokemon in the team.

With 3 of the mons obtained, we look back to our type synergy charts and realise we have almost resisted every type but ground. Therefore it is important to get a good resist to this type as our team so far doesnt enjoy being hit by earthquake very much. I personally believe the best pokemon for this role is Physical Archeops. Not only is this pokemon a huge threat, but it give the team a crucial resist to ground and also gives added utility to vileplume and seismitoad as both resist water which is one of its weakness', seis is immune to electric and probo resists ice type attacks. Rock and steel weakness' are resisted by the combination of the 2. (kind of cockblocked by steels so added utility to probopass)

Now with our team beginning to take shape we have to account for individual threats placed by certain pokemon or certain strategies. Certainly, fast hard hitting pokemon are a threat to this team as certain pokemon have access to the correct coverage to "unlock" the team. Therefore, it is in the teams best interest to get a scarfer to check these threats like magmortar for example. In my opinion, having a Scarfed Mespirit would be amazing to have for this team as it not only checks these threats, has fantastic coverage to hurt other teams (courtesy of boltbeam) and/or criple a wall with trick should the utility of a scarf not be needed. This pokemon also adds key resistances in fighting, ground which was a problem previously and psychic itself. (set was also walled by steels so another reason to run trapper probo)

Finally, we need a special threat that allows us to maintain offensive pressure on the opponent. For this job i feel that E-Belt/ Life Orb Magmortar is best suited. This is because it gets the coverage to wear down its common counters in assault vest hariyama with psychic. Not only does it do this but it also gives the team added coverage to beat other pokemon in the tier like grass types like vileplume, should they be needed to be countered. I personally favour the e-belt set as i like to play mind games with the opponents and bluff a scarf every so often ;]. Also, magmortars typing allows for a complete FWG combination for this team and doesnt add any unneccesary weakness' a pokemon like Sceptile would (as we would have 3 weakness' to ice)

What about plume and seis?
There roles in the team are as follows. Plume is a fantastic physical wall and can on occasions cockblock entire teams with ease. Therefore it is best leaving a standard physically defensive set to complement seismitoads set. Seismitoads set is the ever popular specailly defensive set and rocker. This, otherwise pokes like specs typhlosion just say no to any plans set by this team.

Conclusion
Overall, i believe this team is a great team due to the fact we have no-more than 2 weakness per type and at least a resist for that type. This means that should team face a well-constructed offensive core, it could battle it out whilst maintaining offensive pressure on the opponent through pokemon like mespirit, magmortar and archeops. This team has very few pokemon that can break through this core of pokemon and with planning and strategy, wins high-intensity games with ease.

Happy Laddering!

Team:
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

____________________________standard?team______________________________________
Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Vileplume @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Moonlight

Probopass @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Magnet Rise

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

This team looks pretty standard, but it has some odd sets that can catch your opponent off guard. Afterall, you guys said you'd like some creativity.

What Threatens This Core

This defensive core has no flying, psychic, or ice resist while having a weakness to each. Cryogonal is very threatening to this core, Vileplume is weak to any ice attack and Seismitoad gets bopped by a freeze dry, so Cryogonal is threat numero uno. I also noticed sub cm Mesprit to be threatening to the core, or any bulky setup sweeper for that matter.

The Team

Offensive Seismitoad
Instead of your typical specially defensive Seismitoad, I chose an offensive Seismitoad holding a life orb with a timid nature and sludge wave. The reason I run this set is to catch naughty Shiftrys offguard, and kill them with sludge wave before they can defog. Seismitoad also takes care of rock types for swellow.

Physically Defensive Vileplume
This set is standard, but it is standard for a reason. Physically defensive Vileplume allows me to have a switch in to sawk which its choice band set actually has a good chance to OHKO Seismitoad with a jolly nature.

Magnet Rise Probopass
Now I know what you're thinking... you're thinking this is an absolutely horrible set. Well, my team already has a stealth rocker, so what else would I use? And, this probopass is using magnet pull, so with magnet rise I can effectively trap steelix without fearing an earthquake. Trapping steel types really benefits Swellow and Jynx. I run enough speed to outspeed the Piloswine in TheCanadianWifier's GothGatr team, cuz I ran into it twice on the ladder so I figured I should try to outspeed it and setup a magnet rise so Piloswine can't hurt Probopass. Probopass also has great synergy with the core, taking flying, psychic, and ice type attacks all day. Cryogonal is still a problem to the team if it runs hp ground though, which all of them do. Which brings me to my next poke...

Assault Vest Hariyama
Another pretty standard mon, but it fits so well on the team so I can't not use it. Hariyama allows me to safely switch into cryogonal, a mon this core has trouble with. The ability is thick fat ofcourse, I already have a status absorber in swellow and thick fat really helps out against fire spam.

Swellow
Swellow takes advantage of the steels being gone. Swellow also lures in the steels so it can U-turn into probopass. Swellow also provides the speed this team needs.

Jynx
Another mon that takes advantage of the disposal of steel types. Jynx also acts as my win condition most matches. Substitute allows Jynx to get past Shiftry, if Seismitoad hasn't taken care of it already.

____________________________standard?team______________________________________
Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Vileplume @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Moonlight

Probopass @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Magnet Rise

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

This team looks pretty standard, but it has some odd sets that can catch your opponent off guard. Afterall, you guys said you'd like some creativity.

What Threatens This Core

This defensive core has no flying, psychic, or ice resist while having a weakness to each. Cryogonal is very threatening to this core, Vileplume is weak to any ice attack and Seismitoad gets bopped by a freeze dry, so Cryogonal is threat numero uno. I also noticed sub cm Mesprit to be threatening to the core, or any bulky setup sweeper for that matter.

The Team

Offensive Seismitoad
Instead of your typical specially defensive Seismitoad, I chose an offensive Seismitoad holding a life orb with a timid nature and sludge wave. The reason I run this set is to catch naughty Shiftrys offguard, and kill them with sludge wave before they can defog. Seismitoad also takes care of rock types for swellow.

Physically Defensive Vileplume
This set is standard, but it is standard for a reason. Physically defensive Vileplume allows me to have a switch in to sawk which its choice band set actually has a good chance to OHKO Seismitoad with a jolly nature.

Magnet Rise Probopass
Now I know what you're thinking... you're thinking this is an absolutely horrible set. Well, my team already has a stealth rocker, so what else would I use? And, this probopass is using magnet pull, so with magnet rise I can effectively trap steelix without fearing an earthquake. Trapping steel types really benefits Swellow and Jynx. I run enough speed to outspeed the Piloswine in TheCanadianWifier's GothGatr team, cuz I ran into it twice on the ladder so I figured I should try to outspeed it and setup a magnet rise so Piloswine can't hurt Probopass. Probopass also has great synergy with the core, taking flying, psychic, and ice type attacks all day. Cryogonal is still a problem to the team if it runs hp ground though, which all of them do. Which brings me to my next poke...

Assault Vest Hariyama
Another pretty standard mon, but it fits so well on the team so I can't not use it. Hariyama allows me to safely switch into cryogonal, a mon this core has trouble with. The ability is thick fat ofcourse, I already have a status absorber in swellow and thick fat really helps out against fire spam.

Swellow
Swellow takes advantage of the steels being gone. Swellow also lures in the steels so it can U-turn into probopass. Swellow also provides the speed this team needs.

Jynx
Another mon that takes advantage of the disposal of steel types. Jynx also acts as my win condition most matches. Substitute allows Jynx to get past Shiftry, if Seismitoad hasn't taken care of it already.
In my opinion, This team is way too frail defensively. If one of your walls die for whatever reason, it opens up a huge wall in the defense for other mons to expose. My 2nd problem is the offensive core. Swellow and Jynx are extremely frail so you are often going to be sacking things in order to get a free switch in. They are also very easily worn down by rocks and you have no way of removing said hazards or a pokemon (like sawk) that can temporarily prevent them through offensive pressure.

Overall, the team as a concept looks strong and promising and type syenergy wise it is also very strong however, the fact that it is easily worn down will be an extreme hinderence.
<3
HJAD

Vileplume would be defensive, no questions asked. But when I peeked at seismitoad's stats, they screamed offense. I decided on choice scarf, since I use a scarf seismitoad, and it works. Now I knew hazards would be a pain in the ass, so Xatu made the team. I would need some offense, so Stoutland's base 110 Attack and moderate defenses and speed was all I needed for that. Since there was Defense (Vileplume), I took the counterpart Offense (Victreebel). I put a scarf on him as well, so he isn't completely useless out of the sun. Lastly, I used 9tails, so it gives the sun for victreebel.

I hope you like my team, and feel free to ask questions about the team.

Oh yeah, here's the importable thing.
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Toxic

Seismitoad @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Victreebel @ Choice Scarf
Lonely Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Bullet Seed

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Vileplume would be defensive, no questions asked. But when I peeked at seismitoad's stats, they screamed offense. I decided on choice scarf, since I use a scarf seismitoad, and it works. Now I knew hazards would be a pain in the ass, so Xatu made the team. I would need some offense, so Stoutland's base 110 Attack and moderate defenses and speed was all I needed for that. Since there was Defense (Vileplume), I took the counterpart Offense (Victreebel). I put a scarf on him as well, so he isn't completely useless out of the sun. Lastly, I used 9tails, so it gives the sun for victreebel.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Toxic

Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Xatu @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Lonely Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Bullet Seed

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse
Don't have a whole lot of questions, team looks pretty straightforward. But have you thought of putting rocks on seismitoad and maybe make it life orbed or lefties, what are the purpose of the defense ev's on xatu (spreading out the ev's really isnt a great answer, they should have a specific purpose), and how well has this team worked for you?

Seismitoad/ Vileplume/ Hariyama/ Steelix/ Spiritomb/ Mespirit
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earth Power

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

Spiritomb @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond/ Will-o-Wisp
- Trick

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

This is a very good core from what I've found while building and testing this team. I decided to go with Specially defensive Seismitoad and Physically defensive Vileplume. The core is only weak to Ice, Psychic, and Flying. Steelix was my choice for a check to flying types like Swellow and also psychics. Normally on this set I run rocks, but Seismitoad already had rocks so I opted for crunch as to beat sub cm uxie which the team so far was grossly weak to. Next up was obviously AV hariyama because It handles every fire type in the teir and adds a bit of priority to the team. I didn't want to rely on just steelix to check all psychic types since crunch was mainly a lure for uxie, so in comes spiritomb with the a banded set. Destiny bond is good because if you lock a setup pokemon they are forced to attack you and die or switch out which really helps stop alot of sweepers. Another option is will o wisp just to cripple things which is pretty handy. The team was only really weak to ground so I needed a flying type or levitate user. I really did not want to use a flying type because I really didn't want to have it weak to rocks because its going to be coming in quite a bit. I finnaly decided on Mespirit because It has good coverage, and helps me handle hariyama and gurdurr better and also has ice beam to hit the ground types that it would be coming in on. Plus it has access to uturn which is really good when they switch out vileplumes and the like. Its specs instead of the standard scarf set because this is a bulky offence team that really does not need the speed to beat key threats. I really love the extra power of specs to help break down things that would normally expect scarf.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball / U-Turn
- Trick

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Toxic / Ice Punch

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Substitute
- Return

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Stealth Rock

I built this team not around Seismitoad + Vileplume, but around a different, very underrated core. SubSG Klinklang + SubCM Ninetales, combining two very underrated bulky setup sweepers into a powerful team. The team itself is pretty self explanatory, with each member filling its role to perfection. I take advantage of Pivot Gurdurr's helpful resistances to try to get the edge in most matches to switch in between the offensive pressure of my sweepers and the defensive strength of VileToad. TrickScarf Mesprit is a great revenge killer in general, has useful resistances to Fighting and Ground, and checks a lot of shit with its unique combination of speed, power, bulk, and utility. SubSG Klinklang is a great threat since it sets up on common pokemon such as Vileplume and Shiftry, easily pulling itself to +2 and using powerful attacks to run through an opponent. SubCM Ninetales is surprisingly bulky at +1, and especially with a flash fire boost has quite a nice time tearing through opponents. Overall, they wear down each others checks nicely, and are able to clean well with the support offered by the defensive backbone of VileToad. The incorporation of these underrated threats can also catch opponents by surprise, taking advantage and thus setting up. #bulkyoffense #mildlystandard

Misery Business (Vileplume) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

In Waves (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Danger Line (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Antisocial (Rhydon) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ston Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Double-Edge

Dreamers Disease (Spiritomb) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My Funeral (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack

So when i looked at the core, the first thing i noticed was a weakness to freeze dry. Freeze dry wrecks most water/grass but luckily hariyama can eat pretty much all of those thus making for a great partner since it also enjoys the status heals plume offers. After adding hariyama there was a problem with flying and psychic types. To solve this, I wanted a rcok type however i already had stealth rocks on toad. A choice band set is pretty viable on rhydon because of the sheer power and stab edgequacke. To patch up the psychic weakness I added spiritomb to the team. I prefer spiritomb over liepard because it's bulkier and i like my mons to be able to take a hit (I'm just loving crotomb in nu). For the last spot, I was either gonna pick scarf rotom or swellow. I ended up with swellow because it lures in rock/steel types and can u-turn on the switch to get rhydon in safely. He'll outspeed most of them and hit hard with a stab eq. Swellow is also able to clean up late game and just smashes things whenever it can get a switch into the field.

To be honest, this is the first team i've plume in gen6. I just loved it in gen5 for reasons i don't even know myself because it looks like it can pull so much more work now. Anyway this was my entry thanks to everyone that took the time to read it and i'll be happy to answer any questions asked. c:

Last edited:
Don't have a whole lot of questions, team looks pretty straightforward. But have you thought of putting rocks on seismitoad and maybe make it life orbed or lefties, what are the purpose of the defense ev's on xatu (spreading out the ev's really isnt a great answer, they should have a specific purpose), and how well has this team worked for you?
Next time, please number you questions, it makes it easier for people.

No, I wanted my seismitoad to have a scarf and be offensive from the start.

The defense EVs on xatu are for keeping it alive longer.

I have seen all of these in battles, either on my team or other teams, and they do their job well.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball / U-Turn
- Trick

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Toxic / Ice Punch

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Substitute
- Return

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Stealth Rock

I built this team not around Seismitoad + Vileplume, but around a different, very underrated core. SubSG Klinklang + SubCM Ninetales, combining two very underrated bulky setup sweepers into a powerful team. The team itself is pretty self explanatory, with each member filling its role to perfection. I take advantage of Pivot Gurdurr's helpful resistances to try to get the edge in most matches to switch in between the offensive pressure of my sweepers and the defensive strength of VileToad. TrickScarf Mesprit is a great revenge killer in general, has useful resistances to Fighting and Ground, and checks a lot of shit with its unique combination of speed, power, bulk, and utility. SubSG Klinklang is a great threat since it sets up on common pokemon such as Vileplume and Shiftry, easily pulling itself to +2 and using powerful attacks to run through an opponent. SubCM Ninetales is surprisingly bulky at +1, and especially with a flash fire boost has quite a nice time tearing through opponents. Overall, they wear down each others checks nicely, and are able to clean well with the support offered by the defensive backbone of VileToad. The incorporation of these underrated threats can also catch opponents by surprise, taking advantage and thus setting up. #bulkyoffense #mildlystandard
hey bby how u doing <3
i like how you've structured your team but as usual i have a couple of concerns:
a.) you dont have a dedicated ground resist (ik levitate but thats not dedicated) therefore powerful mold breaker stuff (sawk-rampardos) can freely spam eq
b.) isnt like you're entire team "rekt" by ludicolo, smashbyss and anything really with water, ice, grass combo moveset. (mespirit gets worn down easily)
b.) archeops > this team lol. it has eq for the klink and can wear down seis with acrobatics. If it gets a free switch expect big domage.

as for problems with sets, i personally prefer sub-np on ninetales since it really doesnt benefit from the added special bulk all too much but really likes the extra special attack. I also prefer boltbeam on mespirit with trick but thats personal preference and knowing what is weak to your team.

but apart from these tiny setbacks team is solid and i can see it functioning admirably based hax god known as brawlfest
gg no re
HJAD

Misery Business (Vileplume) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

In Waves (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Danger Line (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Antisocial (Rhydon) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ston Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Double-Edge

Dreamers Disease (Spiritomb) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My Funeral (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack

So when i looked at the core, the first thing i noticed was a weakness to freeze dry. Freeze dry wrecks most water/grass but luckily hariyama can eat pretty much all of those thus making for a great partner since it also enjoys the status heals plume offers. After adding hariyama there was a problem with flying and psychic types. To solve this, I wanted a rcok type however i already had stealth rocks on toad. A choice band set is pretty viable on rhydon because of the sheer power and stab edgequacke. To patch up the psychic weakness I added spiritomb to the team. I prefer spiritomb over liepard because it's bulkier and i like my mons to be able to take a hit (I'm just loving crotomb in nu). For the last spot, I was either gonna pick scarf rotom or swellow. I ended up with swellow because it lures in rock/steel types and can u-turn on the switch to get rhydon in safely. He'll outspeed most of them and hit hard with a stab eq. Swellow is also able to clean up late game and just smashes things whenever it can get a switch into the field.

To be honest, this is the first team i've plume in gen6. I just loved it in gen5 for reasons i don't even know myself because it looks like it can pull so much more work now. Anyway this was my entry thanks to everyone that took the time to read it and i'll be happy to answer any questions asked. c:
MFF, you know this is coming
Your type synergy is ...bad
3 weakness' to ice and only one pokemon that can effectively counter it back is quite a problem especially since alot of teams are prolific in their ice type coverage because no-one likes plume around.
To add to this you have no dragon type resist and with the addition of dragalge to the tier, that could spell trouble to your team (mainly the specs set, defensive set wont trouble you)
As far as sets are concerned:even hp on swellow, needs to be changed so you can switch in on rocks multiple times.

Otherwise, team looks pretty fun-hariyama allows this team to function together as a unit otherwise i think it just falls apart to stuff like powerful specsers like typhlosion, dragalge. So if you can keep it alive, this team does the trick very well.
<<<<<<33333333 bby, sorry about yesterday. Argentina too gud in the end

I'm noticing a pattern with the teams being posted. It seems the archetype is: Seismitoad / Vileplume / fighting type (Hariyama seams to fit nicely in this core, as does Gurdurr) / steel type (steel types provide perfect defensive synergy with the core) / fast mon (Swellow or scarfed Rotom seems to be the choice) / offensive psychic type.

I'm noticing a pattern with the teams being posted. It seems the archetype is: Seismitoad / Vileplume / fighting type (Hariyama seams to fit nicely in this core, as does Gurdurr) / steel type (steel types provide perfect defensive synergy with the core) / fast mon (Swellow or scarfed Rotom seems to be the choice) / offensive psychic type.
Same. everyone realises that counters can be cut of by steel, fighting, psychic type pokemon (#typesynergy) to make a good team with plenty of resists

hey bby how u doing <3
i like how you've structured your team but as usual i have a couple of concerns:
a.) you dont have a dedicated ground resist (ik levitate but thats not dedicated) therefore powerful mold breaker stuff (sawk-rampardos) can freely spam eq
b.) isnt like you're entire team "rekt" by ludicolo, smashbyss and anything really with water, ice, grass combo moveset. (mespirit gets worn down easily)
b.) archeops > this team lol. it has eq for the klink and can wear down seis with acrobatics. If it gets a free switch expect big domage.

as for problems with sets, i personally prefer sub-np on ninetales since it really doesnt benefit from the added special bulk all too much but really likes the extra special attack. I also prefer boltbeam on mespirit with trick but thats personal preference and knowing what is weak to your team.

but apart from these tiny setbacks team is solid and i can see it functioning admirably based hax god known as brawlfest
gg no re
HJAD
A) Ground types are well dealt with for the following reasons. No common ground types outspeed Klinklang or Firefox meaning they will take a big hit, and really don't beat the other four pokemon 1v1.
B) Yes but fuck Pina Colada, also Vileplume lives so I just try to save it.
C) Archeops cannot OHKO the majority my team and gets #defeatist from every member.
D) SubCM Ninetales is only better than SubNP because it can setup on stuff like Plume or CM Puff by +2
E) Fuck BoltBeam you are a nigga.

Ily too. Also if anybody wants ev spread explanations pm me.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power

Vileplume @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Throh (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Trick

I started off with the core, both the defensive variants. Like FLCL said, this core has trouble with bulky set-up sweepers, but it also has trouble with hard hitters such as Zangoose. To deal with the set-up sweeper problem, I added Encore Liepard to deter any Bulky Set-Up, as well as acting as a clutch Sucker Punch user / dark resist which is useful even with its low Defenses. To alleviate the hard hitter problem, an oldey but goody set of Fake Out + Sucker Punch Kangaskhan fit really well to check Guts-ers such as Zangoose and Swellow. Kangaskhan also brings on good one-time bulk meaning it can be played somewhat leniently. ChestoRest BU Throh was also a response to the set-up sweeper problem as it can boost alongside them and Circle Throw them out, it is also useful in "checking" greedy Slurpuff who think they can set up on me. Finally, it is always good to have a Scarf-user and on this team it is a Rotom-S as without it, Fighting types such as Gurdurr and Hariyama give this team too much trouble bc of the pressure on Vileplume.
Seismitoed is the offensive variant becuase Shiftry is a threat even with Kangaskhan and having a lure for it is always useful. Also the Speed is useful for some last-minute damage before it goes down potentially. The extra SpD isn't usually missed as Throh is pretty bulky, SpD-ively.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dark Pulse
- Calm Mind

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

After numerous testing, I have come up with a best arrangement for the given core. I have played ~50 games on the ladder, testing the teams for this core and editing it as necessary, and this is the final product. It has won every game I have had on the ladder during testing, but I stopped when ladder players were distressingly complaining about "You are bad" or "You are a haxer" or "You are a fgt". I guess it is THAT Overpowered.

Teambuilding Process:
Firstly, I chose the sets for the core.
These Pokemon had great defensive synergy, so I used their defensive versions. I've used Seismitoad in my previous game-breaking ladder team, so I copied the set over: Physically Defensive Toad with Scald, Earthquake, Toxic and Stealth Rock. This was a great set to setup Stealth Rock, counter Feraligatr, Toxic everything, fish for Burns on physical attackers and on Steel or Poison-types, and kill annoyances like Lanturn, Crustle, Steelix, Camerupt, etc.

Since Seismitoad is Physically Defensive, I followed up with a parallel set for Vileplume: Specially Defensive. I've never used Vileplume before, but for the sakes of this competition I chose the most common set.

So I have the sets for the core. Now for the next step:

Secondly, I chose the A+ Rankers.
The competition only allows for one of the following: Shiftry, Feraligatr, and Spiritomb.

So naturally, I had to take advantage of these goodies. I chose Spiritomb because it was the most synergistically appropriate: Feraligatr clashes with Seismitoad while Shiftry clashes with Vileplume.

Since my team is set to be defensive, I chose the CroTomb set so that I can finish off any remaining defensive teams by setting up in their face and sweeping with +4 Dark Pulse spam; As I had the defensive core already, they could take care of the offensive menaces that could break Spiritomb.

Thirdly, I checked for weaknesses in the core.
One major thing that stood out in the core was its weakness to Cryogonal: Ice Beam + Freeze Dry = dead core. Seismitoad is OHKOed by Freeze Dry and Vileplume isn't much better.

Something that resists Ice that isn't a Water-type must be chosen. Steel-type, Fire-type, Ice-type would be good.

I chose Cryogonal: It's special defense is huge, has access to Rapid Spin, and decent offensive movepool that allows it to be used alongside my tanks Seismitoad and Vileplume. I found it appropriate to give it another defensive set, so that it can wall more special attackers alongside Vileplume. Sadly, it has only 1 resistance in Ice, which doesn't provide much for synergy, but immunity to Ground is interesting.

Fourthly, I added something to patch up the Fire hazard.

Although Seismitoad handles Fire-type attacks, it is soft on the special side. I needed something to take Fire-type special attacks, as my Special walls are weak to Fire.

I decided to add a Hariyama; It was offensively capable, and with an Assault Vest, it could take Special Attacks just as well as my special tanks. Previously, this slot belonged to Scarf Primeape and Scark Sawk, as I needed to coverage of Close Combat to hit opponents. Afterwards, I decided that Hariyama was a better fit for the defensive tanky nature of the team.

Finally, a wallbreaker!

Zangoose is a fun Facade spammer that breaks down walls and sweeps whole teams. In case I end up in a boring stall war with one of my tank teammates against a similarly tanky opponent, laddering can get un-fun. The access to great coverage moves in Knock Off and Close Combat make Zangoose attractive in defeating/mauling many common enemies, such as Golurk, Steelix, Aurorus(?), and allowing me to OHKO/2HKO all of the tier, helping my team to take down the rest of the opponent's team or giving Spiritomb clear opportunities to finish them off.

Usage Tips:

This is a defensive team that I made, but with a win condition: Spiritomb. Apparently this frustrates ladder players so much that they begin swearing/saying nasty stuff upon me sweeping their team, so it is potent, I assure you.

The usage of Vileplume and Seismitoad should be self explanatory. Once you've eliminated their Stealth Rock setter or Spikes user, find a time to let Cryogonal switch in, and Rapid Spin, so that your team is free from hazards. Stealth Rock isn't an urgent matter, as the only Stealth Rock weak user is the Rapid Spinner itself, so you can defer on spinning immediately. The main thing that I'm worried about is Sticky Web, which was pretty annoying during my usage of the previous team, so I always carry a hazards remover in all subsequent NU teams. Anyway, keep Cryogonal safe until their hazards setters are dead.

Zangoose is fun if you get a free switch in. When Vileplume uses Sleep Powder on an opponent, you have time to switch in Zangoose, get the Toxic Orb boost, then begin wrecking with a free Facade. Use the appropriate coverage move as your judgement calls. Use Zangoose to break down the annoying walls that the team struggles to defeat, for example Lickililicky, Weezing, very annoying.

Stuff like Magmortar and Pyroar are major threats to the team (Specially Offensive Fire-types). You need to kill them with Hariyama and well-placed Stealth Rocks. This is because the special walls on the team are weak to Fire. Keep Hariyama alive at all costs if you see these things in Team Preview. Once Spiritomb has the opportunity to setup 2 Calm Minds though, you're safe.

How to win!!!:

Take a look at Team Preview. Determine if the opponent is using an offensive or defensive team. Use the appropriate tanks to deal with the opponent's offensive threats.

If the opponent is using offensive team, just kill their Physical Attackers that can harm Spiritomb. Golurk, Granbull, Shiftry, Piloswine, Earthquake spammers in general, all need to be killed. Sawk, Hariyama and Primeape are not threats; Spiritomb eats their "Knock Off"s for lunch. Once these threats are killed, setup with Spiritomb to win.

If the opponent is using defensive team, just kill their Roar/Dragon Tail/ Taunt users. Once these are dead, Spiritomb easily sets up on them, and sweeps teams whole. Watch out for Trick users who Trick Choice Scarfs to Spiritomb, those can put a fullstop to the sweep. If someone is going to Trick you, Zangoose is a nice answer (after it has been Toxiced) as a Scarf Facade Spammer becomes a powerful sweeper. Not to mention, the opponent gets Poisoned!

>Spiritomb is at +4 +4
Turn 32
You have 150 seconds to make your decision.
Metal Sonic has 120 seconds left.
Lezley has 90 seconds left.
Lezley has 60 seconds left.
Lezley has 40 seconds left.
KPRK PKMN: it takes 1 hr to fight man
Lezley has 30 seconds left.
Lezley has 20 seconds left.
Lezley: im time stalling
Lezley has 10 seconds left.
KPRK PKMN: why

The opposing My Nigga used Foul Play!
Spiritomb lost 20.7% of its health!
Spiritomb woke up!

Spiritomb used Dark Pulse!
It's not very effective... The opposing My Nigga lost 43% of its health!

The opposing My Nigga fainted!
Lezley: hes stalling with that piece of shit
KPRK PKMN: my friend wants to battle me bye
Lezley: bye
KPRK PKMN: thanks for the fight
Lezley: all g
KPRK PKMN: nice fight :)
Lezley: haha
KPRK PKMN left.
KPRK PKMN joined.

Lezley sent out Fabulous (Vileplume)!
Turn 33

The opposing Fabulous used Giga Drain!
Spiritomb lost 9.9% of its health!
Spiritomb had its energy drained!

Spiritomb used Rest!
Spiritomb fell asleep!
Spiritomb slept and became healthy!

The opposing Fabulous restored HP using its Black Sludge!
The opposing Fabulous was hurt by its burn!
Turn 34

The opposing Fabulous used Sludge Bomb!
It's not very effective... Spiritomb lost 4.9% of its health!

Spiritomb is fast asleep.

Spiritomb used Sleep Talk!
Spiritomb used Rest!
But it failed!

The opposing Fabulous restored HP using its Black Sludge!
The opposing Fabulous was hurt by its burn!
Turn 35
KPRK PKMN: hehe im back

The opposing Fabulous used Giga Drain!
Spiritomb lost 8.9% of its health!
Spiritomb had its energy drained!

Spiritomb is fast asleep.

Spiritomb used Sleep Talk!
The opposing Fabulous lost 41% of its health!

The opposing Fabulous fainted!

Lezley sent out Hope (Mesprit)!
Turn 36
Lezley: this guy is dogshit bad

The opposing Hope used U-turn!
Spiritomb lost 12.2% of its health!

The opposing Hope went back to Lezley!

Lezley sent out Flume (Magmortar)!
Spiritomb woke up!

The opposing Flume lost 100% of its health!

The opposing Flume fainted!
KPRK PKMN: yeah
Metal Sonic: why am i bad ?
KPRK PKMN: no
KPRK PKMN: lezley is mad at you
Lezley: how rent you bad
KPRK PKMN: im not mad at you

Lezley sent out Hope (Mesprit)!
Turn 37
KPRK PKMN: your spiritomb is awesome right lezley?
Metal Sonic: because i am good
KPRK PKMN: lets be friends together alright?
Metal Sonic: yes
Metal Sonic: good friends :)
KPRK PKMN: hey lezley
Lezley: hi
KPRK PKMN: lets be friends with metal sonic
Lezley: no
Metal Sonic: :(
Lezley: i hate you metal sonic
KPRK PKMN: why?
KPRK PKMN: :(
Metal Sonic: why?
Lezley: hes a fgt
Metal Sonic: so unfriendly
KPRK PKMN: whats fgt

Lezley lost due to inactivity.

Metal Sonic won the battle!

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Toxic

Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Xatu @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Lonely Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Bullet Seed

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse
Actually, I do want to ask something about your team. You have a Choice Scarf on a Chlorophyll sweeper. Couldn't that actually be a hindrance if it is attempting to sweep, as it won't have the luxury of being able to choose whatever moves it wants to?

Actually, I do want to ask something about your team. You have a Choice Scarf on a Chlorophyll sweeper. Couldn't that actually be a hindrance if it is attempting to sweep, as it won't have the luxury of being able to choose whatever moves it wants to?
Thanks for asking! And my answer is, Victrebell's problem is excessive reliance on the sun. And in OU in gen5, Venusaur was better since he was more balanced and had a higher speed, so he was less reliant on the sun to sweep. Victreebel has base 70 in speed, so a scarf makes it like a NU variant of Venusaur. And even with the weather nerf, the ability is still usable.

Link to export: http://pastebin.com/aqx1nRkL
^^Switcheroo should be slashed next to baton pass

Sup pplz, im Oshony PokeGod, Oshony for short, o for really short.

Vileplume: Good ol' plume. Plume is one of the best sawk switchins (with togetic being number 1) a handy set of resistances, tspikes absorbtion, bulky water counter, access to sleep/stun spore and a hefty base 110 spatk. Vileplume is a very diverse mon. Sleep powder/moonlight are pretty much mandatory, as sleep powder can give you at least 1 free turn if it hits, while moonlight prevents plume from being worn down. Sludge bomb is the preferred stab, as it hits hard even if unboosted and hits a good portion of the tier. Hp Fire is the preferred coverage move, as it gets a surprise on steels hoping to switchin and setup like steelix or klinklang. However; giga drain is another option as it helps it check gatr while still maintaining recovery, tho its a bit much in conjuction with moonlight. An offensive variant with sleep powder/gigadrain/sludgebomb/hp fire is viable, but then it loses out on ts walling capabilities.

Ninetales: Anyways, first thing I thought when I saw plume/toad was that 3 things standed out, opposing plumes, hariyama and ice types in general, ninetales was clear as day as the first choice, not only does it mae a fwg core, but it can act as both a lure for bulky waters and hariyama, and destroy them with a +2 move of choice. Plume can take hariyamas hits, but if its packing ice punch, it gets weared down quickly. This is where ninetales comes in, as a +2 LO psyshock will ohko any variant of hariyama. Passho berry is also a choice because ninetales tends to draw in bulky waters, and aqua jet abusers like gatr or basuclin to check it. Passho berry lets it take unboosted waterfalls and aqua jets with ease to prevent priority from preventing its sweep.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 499-588 (101.4 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Basculin Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 132-156 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 118-139 (40.9 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 157-186 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Seismitoad: Seismitoad, The bulky water. Seismitoad's typing is its key to both its success and its demise. It adds a nice volt switch blocker, yet at the same time, everyone runs hp grass fearing the toad because of its sheer bulk. Even tho hp grass is now a standard on every electric and special fire, don't let it discourage you, seismitoad has PLENTY or bulk to setup rocks, hand out scald burns, or give out toxics for everyone. The ev spread is so eq doesn't lose power, since earthquake has more power against many nu mons compared to earth power. Sludge Bomb is another option over toxic, as it lets Seismitoad hit ludicolo on a predicted rain dance hard with a potential poison chance to prevent a sweep. With its ability Water absorb, feraligatr cannot freely use its waterfalls in fear of healing seismitoad.

Floatzel: Next thing I noticed was that this team was relatively slow, and archeops is a HUGE threat to any slow team. This is why floatzel came out to me, not only does it have a decent 100 base atk boosted by choice band, but it cannot be burned by lets say spiritomb or weezing due to water veil, it sits at 115 base speed, which outspeeds a majority of the meta, baring things like sceptile, swallow, and accelgor. Aqua Jet is useful priority to kill key threats like a weakened swallow, or scarf pyroar/magmortar before they can land a hyper voice/thunderbolt, respectively. Ice punch is just there to hit grasses like plume or dragons like altaria hard on the switch. As you are allowed 1 baton passer, floatzel works great in the lead position as it can scare out most rock type leads attempting to setup rocks and baton pass to gain momentum. Switcheroo is also viable as it can cripple walls or hazard stacking leads.

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 222-264 (70.7 - 84%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 236-278 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Cryogonal: Next on the list is cryogonal, as you can tell, ninetales does NOT like rocks, at all, so cryogonal is here to fix that, also if you haven't noticed, this team is very weak to ludicolo, ninetales cannot 2hko ludicolo if rain is up and its not boosted, however, cryogonal can take a rain boosted hydro miss and ohko ludicolo with freeze dry. Rapid spin/Freeze dry are 2 mandatory moves, to remove spikes and rocks while keeping ludicolo in check. Since this team does not have much offensive prescence, a life orb moveset with hp ground is viable to hit steels like probopass and klinklang without resorting to toad or plume. Recover is still recommended over ice beam even if offensive, because the life orb recoil mitigation still beats a stronger stab. Haze is noteworthy because it stops Crotomb from laughing at your team.

Granbull: Cuz gen 2 hype. No not really, granbull is here for 2 reasons, a shiftry/sawk switching, and a stop to both fighting spam and spiritomb all at once. It also provides cleric support against stall based teams. Play Rough is a mandatory stab, and earthquake is a recommended coverage move as it prevents poisons/steels/fires that resist your stab from setting up on you, tho close combat hits normal like pyroar for more damage while retaining steel coverage. A RestTalk set is viable on granbull mostly do it heal bell waking up if sleep talk clicks it. Rest Talk also better protects the team from flying spam. Thunder wave is slashed because it helps support the team by maintaining speed control and potential parahax FTW.

Last edited:

Link to export: http://pastebin.com/aqx1nRkL
^^Switcheroo should be slashed next to baton pass

Sup pplz, im Oshony PokeGod, Oshony for short, o for really short.
Vileplume: Good ol' plume. Plume is one of the best sawk switchins (with togetic being number 1) a handy set of resistances, tspikes absorbtion, bulky water counter, access to sleep/stun spore and a hefty base 110 spatk. Vileplume is a very diverse mon. Sleep powder/moonlight are pretty much mandatory, as sleep powder can give you at least 1 free turn if it hits, while moonlight prevents plume from being worn down. Sludge bomb is the preferred stab, as it hits hard even if unboosted and hits a good portion of the tier. Hp Fire is the preferred coverage move, as it gets a surprise on steels hoping to switchin and setup like steelix or klinklang. However; giga drain is another option as it helps it check gatr while still maintaining recovery, tho its a bit much in conjuction with moonlight. An offensive variant with sleep powder/gigadrain/sludgebomb/hp fire is viable, but then it loses out on ts walling capabilities.
Ninetales: Anyways, first thing I thought when I saw plume/toad was that 3 things standed out, opposing plumes, hariyama and ice types in general, ninetales was clear as day as the first choice, not only does it mae a fwg core, but it can act as both a lure for bulky waters and hariyama, and destroy them with a +2 move of choice. Plume can take hariyamas hits, but if its packing ice punch, it gets weared down quickly. This is where ninetales comes in, as a +2 LO psyshock will ohko any variant of hariyama. Passho berry is also a choice because ninetales tends to draw in bulky waters, and aqua jet abusers like gatr or basuclin to check it. Passho berry lets it take unboosted waterfalls and aqua jets with ease to prevent priority from preventing its sweep.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 499-588 (101.4 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Basculin Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 132-156 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 118-139 (40.9 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Passho Berry Ninetales: 157-186 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Seismitoad: Seismitoad, The bulky water. Seismitoad's typing is its key to both its success and its demise. It adds a nice volt switch blocker, yet at the same time, everyone runs hp grass fearing the toad because of its sheer bulk.

Floatzel: Next thing I noticed was that this team was relatively slow, and archeops is a HUGE threat to any slow team. This is why floatzel came out to me, not only does it have a decent 100 base atk boosted by choice band, but it cannot be burned by lets say spiritomb or weezing due to water veil, it sits at 115 base speed, which outspeeds a majority of the meta, baring things like sceptile, swallow, and accelgor. Aqua Jet is useful priority to kill key threats like a weakened swallow, or scarf pyroar/magmortar before they can land a hyper voice/thunderbolt, respectively. Ice punch is just there to hit grasses like plume or dragons like altaria hard on the switch. As you are allowed 1 baton passer, floatzel works great in the lead position as it can scare out most rock type leads attempting to setup rocks and baton pass to gain momentum. Switcheroo is also viable as it can cripple walls or hazard stacking leads.

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 222-264 (70.7 - 84%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 236-278 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Cryogonal: Next on the list is cryogonal, as you can tell, ninetales does NOT like rocks, at all, so cryogonal is here to fix that, also if you haven't noticed, this team is very weak to ludicolo, ninetales cannot 2hko ludicolo if rain is up and its not boosted, however, cryogonal can take a rain boosted hydro miss and ohko ludicolo with freeze dry. Rapid spin/Freeze dry are 2 mandatory moves, to remove spikes and rocks while keeping ludicolo in check. Since this team does not have much offensive prescence, a life orb moveset with hp ground is viable to hit steels like probopass and klinklang without resorting to toad or plume. Recover is still recommended over ice beam even if offensive, because the life orb recoil mitigation still beats a stronger stab. Haze is noteworthy because it stops Crotomb from laughing at your team.

Granbull: Cuz gen 2 hype. No not really, granbull is here for 2 reasons, a shiftry/sawk switching, and a stop to both fighting spam and spiritomb all at once. It also provides cleric support against stall based teams. Play Rough is a mandatory stab, and earthquake is a recommended coverage move as it prevents poisons/steels/fires that resist your stab from setting up on you, tho close combat hits normal like pyroar for more damage while retaining steel coverage. A RestTalk set is viable on granbull mostly do it heal bell waking up if sleep talk clicks it. Rest Talk also better protects the team from flying spam. Thunder wave is slashed because it helps support the team by maintaining speed control and potential parahax FTW.
extremely weak to freeze-dry mons ex: cryo, articuno

True I have 3 pokemon weak to freeze dry, but ninetales/cryogonal walls all of them bar lapras and floatzel cannot switchin to freeze dry but a choice banded waterfall makes light work of cryogonal and a switcheroo can cripple articuno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)