Battle of Legends

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Battle of Legends online competition has been announced on the Pokemon Global Link website. These will be Double battles with any pokemon from the national dex (except Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion) being eligible, with players being restricted to two legendaries. This means that pokemon transported to X and Y from previous generations are allowed! Here are the rules C/P'ed from the site:

In the Battle of Legends Online Competition, Legendary and Mythical Pokémon join in the fun!

Participants will also receive a participation prize of 1,000 Poké Miles!
Players who have been disqualified from the rankings will not be able to receive the prize.
• Players with a significant number of disconnects may be removed from the final rankings.
• At least one match must be played to completion to qualify for the rankings.

Sign-Up Dates
Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competitions Dates
Friday, July 25, 2014 at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
• 50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Age Divisions
• Junior Division*: Born 1999 or later
• Masters Division: Born 1998 or earlier
*Junior Division players will be limited to playing between the hours of 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time).

Ranking Results Announcement
Friday, August 1, 2014
(announcement time subject to change)

Rules for This Competition
• This competition will use Rotation Battle format.
• Players may use any Pokémon from the National Pokédex. However, only up to two of the following Pokémon may be registered to the Battle Box: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde.
• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.
• In addition, Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 Versions via Poké Transporter can participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box. All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 100 for the duration of each match.
• A 30-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select 4 Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 10 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon X or Pokémon Y game with a Game Sync ID registered in the PGL
• The birth date you have registered to your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered that your birth-date information is incorrect during the competition, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.
So who's excited for this competition? I'm anticipating a whole lot of Kyogre in this meta..

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The really BIG thing to note here is that Event legendaries (besides the XY ones which aren't released yet) ARE allowed.

This means Darkrai is allowed, so Sleep is going to be VERY powerful in this metagame! Also, Arceus sounds like a great bulky attacker in doubles.

Although in a different environment entirely, I've been using Darkrai on Battle Spot's Free Triples mode
with various Unnerve bearers (mostly Persian) to make dark void spam easier than ever.

We may see some Darkrai + Unnerve Mewtwo offensive cores during this exhibition
as it seems like a good pair that can apply a great deal of offensive pressure really quickly

Good thing I have a Slurpuff raised for this very opportunity to let it excel in a format like this.
kappa.jpg

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have some legendaries on my Diamond that I got a long time ago that I might transfer over for this. I'm not entirely sure if they had good IVs/EVs or if they were hacks though...I might try something simple like a Kyogre rain team. Otherwise, I think I might just not use any of the banned Pokemon and see how far I can get against other people who are using them.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
https://pokemonshowdown.com/dex/abilities/unnerve

I was considering some alternatives to Mewtwo for Unnerve (in case I wanted to use a different Uber with Darkrai)... and yikes, that list is pretty lame. I think the only reasonable looking ones are Aerodactyl (which is at least fast and has Rock Slide), Tyranitar (losing sandstream probably isnt worth it), Maaaaybe Haxorus (at least it outspeeds a bunch of Ubers...), and maybe Persian (who sucks mostly but at least it has Fake Out).

I'm mostly likely to give Aerodactyl or Haxorus a shot if I want a different Uber partner than Mewtwo.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ways to check Kyogre rain teams:
1. 0 speed Groudon
2. Zekrom (provided Kyogre is not scarfed)
3. Palkia
4. Shaymin-S
5. Storm Drain
6. If all else fails, Shedinja

Take your pick. Assuming I have time to play this thing since ubers has always intrigued me, I would probably run Zekrom because it needs it due time in the sun (harhar) since it didn't exist during GS Cup (thank Arceus it learns Tailwind to fix that middling speed) and Fairy Arceus because Xerneas is more fragile, a little slow, and relies on Focus Miss for coverage. This isn't singles where you can nab Geomancy and gg. Darkrai is going to be an annoying pain in the ass, but don't forget that Mewtwo Y gets Insomnia so you could potentially lead with that + Chesto/Lum Berry to stave off Darkrai leads if you don't want to go the Slurpuff or dealing with RNG route.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to try hail offence seeings how Kyurem is legal but I don't know how viable it will be. If I do it I'll probably have him and Aboma in the back to do some work after the Darkrai's / other stuff have been dealt with. Speaking of which, I'm not really sure how I'll deal with Darkrai. Life orb Mewtwo just manages the guaranteed ohko on it so I think I might just resort to him..

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mega Mewtwo Y sounds like an interesting pick in this meta thanks to it's anti-Darkrai utility with Insomnia... It also tears massive chunks out of Kyogre with Psystrike (Thunder does roughly the same) and has great coverage to put gaping holes in most things. I think the biggest challenge here will be a) picking only two or three legendaries to build your team around when there's so much choice i.e. Fairy/Dark Aura shenanigans with the Gen IV box legends, weather wars from the Hoenn trio, Scarf Genesect being a massive bitch with U-Turn, Shaymin-S similarly annoying with Air Slash and providing Tailwind support, b) finding non-legends to fill out your team with that don't get trashed by the insane power and breadth of coverage of all the Ubers.

Theorymon

Oh god another rotation battle
Oh man, I feel REALLY dumb now, I just assumed it was doubles for some reason. I guess we all gotta read the fine print!

Anyways, this changes EVERYTHING. I actually have a bit of experience in a similar format though! Let me tell you all what I experienced in rotations free battle, aka Rotation Ubers.

1. Klefki was freaking everywhere. They usually ran Safeguard to totally screw up Darkrai, and then used Dual Screens to support the other mons.

2. Ok, this is going to sound SO weird, but in my experience: Kygore actually has way more issues in Rotations than any other Ubers metagame. This is because me and a lot of Japanese players were using Mega Charizard Y. In rotations, if your Pokémon does not lead, it simply won't set up weather. However, Mega Charizard Y subverts that, and can mega evolve. This really sucks for Kyogre, because Charizard can just Mega Evolve + Protect to RUIN poor Kyogre with the blazing sun. If you want to use Kyogre, I recommend keeping it in the back! Alternately, you can also run Kyogre with a rain dance user to mess with Mega Charizard Y.

3. Unlike doubles, Geomancy Xerneas can totally be a threat. This is another reason why Klefki can be helpful: Light Screen and Thunder Wave can really screw with Xerneas! Just watch out, some people paired Xerneas with Brick Break Pokémon and Groudon. Also, Klefki itself can aid your own Xerneas thanks to dual screens and safeguard.

4. Ah yes, this reminds me: I always have trouble deciding Klefki's moveset. I always use Reflect / Light Screen / Safeguard, but then the last slot is always a toss up between Foul Play, Thunder Wave, and Play Rough (I will admit I'm paranoid about Substitute Xerneas, but I've never seen it in rotations. Hitting Yveltal was nice though). Just be warned: I can totally see Taunt Pokémon being used, so maybe this time its best to use an attack.

Anyways, the fact that this one limits you to two Ubers does change up teams pretty significantly. Maybe we should do some practice battles later!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Actually it looks like the american site fucked up. Japanese PGL lists it as doubles while the US one lists it as rotation.

????

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Serebii is saying that it is doubles as well, maybe the English site has messed up? I didn't notice when I copied the rules from the site..

Edit: Theorymon again, serebii is saying that the competition runs for all regions at the same time. (I know I shouldn't use serebii as the defining source but it was their post that prompted me to post the thread...)

Last edited:

Theorymon

Actually it looks like the american site fucked up. Japanese PGL lists it as doubles while the US one lists it as rotation.

????
Huh. Well, do you know when the Japanese one is happening? This could be a situation where Japan is getting a separate tournament, and TPCI just decided that they wanted to do rotations instead of doubles.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
More random thoughts: I feel like stat lowering moves will be really potent here. With 4v4 Rotation, removing stat debuffs is actually impossible if you lose one of your Pokémon. With the massive amount of special attackers in Ubers, I'm going to give Confide Klefki a shot and report back...

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Oh. In that case, my team needs a retrofit and I also need to prepare in a big way for Kyogre. Dat spread Water Spout will not be fun...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I really don't know how to teambuild for this, I feel like Darkrai / Kyogre will be such a force that you have to have something(s) to counter them, but where do you fit in your offence around it? Do you go totally anti-meta or try to pull off your own gameplan?

I clearly don't play a lot of doubles / ubers. Guess I'll just jump on double free battles on BS and see..

Darkrai and Smeargle opener? :P

Darkrai - Leftovers
Dark Void
Dark Pulse
Substitute
Sleep Talk

Smeargle - Focus Sash
Dark Void
Protect
Whirlwind / Sleep Talk
Transform

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Well, I think MewtwoY+Lum EKiller will still do the trick, as Dark Void will do nothing and Mewtwo can kill shit while Arceus sets up in their face. :)

That is why I gave Smeargle Whirwind, so you can just ignore MewtwoY untill the end :P

If anyone is interested I am willing to try the concept out against them

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Ooh, that's evil. Might need to run Fake Out then...

Speaking of Fake Out, I might want to give Ludicolo a shot. It trolls Kyogre with Giga Drain and Swift Swim and has that juicy non-Rage Powderable Fake Out for dealing with Amoonguss and friends. It needs 132+ Speed to tie with Scarf Kyogre and 140 to outpace at Lv50...which means it doesn't have a lot left over for bulk or power. 116 HP/252 Sp. Atk/140+ Spd still dodges the 2HKO from Thunder though (without Assault Vest) so there's that...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I actually considered Ludicolo as well, not sure whether I'd run AV for the bulk or Absorb Bulb for some power. I like him + Toxicroak as together they can stop both Kyogre and Darkrai with Fake Out and their STABs, but they rely on the opponent bringing rain because without it they aren't so good..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)