2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't like the composition of neymar/messi/suárez and don't think they fit together. Maybe if messi plays a different role and suárez is the "target player" (not the proper word, but don't know how to express it in english). A good offense isn't about putting as much scoring machines together as possible. For the same reason I think real would be stupid if they replace benzema with falcao

Oh and neymar is overrated as fuck

Falcao is just a dumb move, he was/is amazing but your risking around 60m for a 28 year old coming off a potential career ending injury and shipping out a great striker in Benzema who is younger.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Falcao to Madrid is a stupid move, I don't want to believe it but it seems like it's going to happen :( He's going to be expensive, he's had a serious injury this year, he's not young and he doesn't fit their frontline (nor the team in general, for that matter). So many reasons not to do it...

As for Barcelona, they didn't really need to improve their offense, but Suarez is obviously a good addition. I think that Suarez can work well with either Neymar or Messi, the only problem I see is that I just don't think Neymar and Messi can work together effectively. I think that Barcelona should have kept Alexis and played a 4-4-2 diamond with Messi as the number 10. And of course they still need to secure their defense...

Atletico seems to be doing their job well though, Mandzukic and Siqueira are good replacements for Filipe/Diego Costa and they are close to sign Oblak.

Just can't help but think what would have happened if Wenger had put £50m on the table last summer. Suarez up front, possibly with Giroud, Cazorla gets to keep his attacking mid role, and maybe Fabregas back to Arsenal this summer... Ozil and Sanchez vs Suarez and Cesc... The heart twangs!

edit: Last time I go on about Arsenal for a while I promise but decent kit launch!

Last edited:
One thing that confuses me is Liverpool signing Lambert. They got rid of Carroll back in the day and now buys someone with less aerial threat. OK Lambert is much more gifted with his feet than Carroll and has decent creativity but he is not getting any younger and Liverpool will totally have to change their style of play if they want to fit him in, something Rodgers didn't want to do with Carroll. If he's just for Cup games and stuff then why bother with an ageing player who is out of place with their transfer policy of late? Especially now that apparently they want Bony too who is similar! I'm surprised a young talent who was improving game by game last season such as Rodriguez, and was surely on the plane to Brazil before his injury, has been overlooked while Southampton's World Cup trio has been snapped up for inflated prices. It just feels like the hype has gotten to everyone these days...

In other news, Debuchy and Manquillo (loan) are apparently pretty much done deals for Arsenal.
Wenger: Sanchez "has attributes of modern striker". Make of that what you will... (Eurosport)

Also: Utd are not in discussions to sign Vidal (Sky Italia)

And Franz Beckenbauer: "Toni #Kroos has decided, he will be new Real Madrid player. We're going to lose a champion" (@FabrizioRomano Twitter)

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Referring to them as "the scum of England" would've been a less subtle way of saying it (and if you look at Gerrard and think Manchester United than you probably won't bother with it coz you're not a football fan).

well it looks like Di maria is going to PSG. Marco Verratti might be going the other way.

Edit:It's around 60 mil. United and Psg were after him but he prefered Psg.

Last edited:

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Alexis fucking Sanchez.

(sorry, little late, I've been in a drunken stupor since the day we signed him)

Also, Khedira seems have a decent shot of landing up at Arsenal as well.

Looks like the Wenger we all love is back. This is exciting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)