Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Chou Toshio, are you planning to be super strict regarding the definition of a mammal, or do you intend for it to be a "non-bird entity" descriptor? I've got several ideas for a Route 1 Pokemon, but they are not mammals in the strict sense.

Pokemon proposal
Route 1
Cleffa
Rough grass
Lv 2-4

Cleffa's evolved form, clefable, is a force in the Ou metagame. Its large movepool and great abilities make it a very versatile threat. Although it is incapable of learning many hms, Clefable will be able to fit on the player's team regardless of starter due to its many sets.

Pokemon Proposal
Route 1
Azurill
Tall Grass
Level 3-5

Azurill was found relatively early in the game in Black 2/White 2. It evolves into one of the more useful fairies. It isn't too OP though because it is a physical sweeper with a special sweeper's movepool. It's also a great OU Pokemon who normally appears early

Also, I feel like the Return TM should appear relatively soon in this game. Whether Route 1 or the next town it should make an appearance early in the game

Pokemon Proposal
Route 1
Eevee (with 100% of the abilities being Adaptability)
Standard Grass
Level 2-4

Eevee's evolutions can be controlled by the placement of stones (although they should be available fairly early on), and prior to then, it can use Adaptability, making it significantly stronger than the average early in-game pokemon.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chou Toshio, are you planning to be super strict regarding the definition of a mammal, or do you intend for it to be a "non-bird entity" descriptor? I've got several ideas for a Route 1 Pokemon, but they are not mammals in the strict sense.
We'll see what the community votes for, but at least the main route one should be a mammal-- this is the in-game tradition after all.

NPC Proposal
Route 1
Berry Hoarder
Basically a guy who stands in front of a small patch of land that can be used for berries, and is very obsessive with it. He wont let you plant them, but he'll plant em for you, thus giving you access to berries early. Just tell him what you want and he'll have it ready the next day.

Dialogue can go "Miiiiiiiiiiii berries!" *composes himself* "Sorry, what you want?"

Pokemon Proposal
Route 1
Azurril
Standard Grass
Level 2-4
Azurril is one of 2 small cute normal types on the viability list that could fit here, but unlike the other Smogon bunny, this one is better has access to more HMs and is useful on more standard builds. Azurril's line has a very fast growth rate, and I agree with GF's decision to have it as an early Poke in XY. It'll do well as the standard mammal of the Smogon Version.
I mentioned this is a post a while back Chou, but don't you think it may be too much of a power spike to have Azumarill be available that early? It evolves at lvl 18 as well as a respectable Water STAB in Aqua Tail at lvl 21. At that point in the game, you don't have anything else that's even remotely strong, since your starter hasn't finish evolving and possibly your bird as well. From a playthrough standpoint, it will be easy to say that a focus on Azumarill will be omnipresent, and with it strengths as well as being available this early, who wouldn't.

However, that is in a design of gameplay balance, and is strictly of the choice of the player if they want to use the Pokemon or not. Of course, the position of this game is to teach competitive Pokemon, so it doesn't have to be in our biggest interest to focus on a "fair" playthrough. That being said, I still wanted this to be out there in case we're looking for a respectable challenge as well as a diverse, balanced pathing system when it comes to Pokemon choices.

On a similar note, I wanted to know eveyone else's idea on "self-induced" challenges by choice of Pokemon. In other words, by getting this particular Pokemon you'll have some uphill issues, but after a certain point it will be worth it. Consider it similar to buying a Magikarp from the guy in Red/Blue, and training it to finally evolve. I have an idea for a Pokemon being available early that would create this trap/challenge, but I wanted to know our position on it first.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My personal stance is to not worry about how strong the player's actual team is-- I mean, if you look at the starters, it's pretty clear I'm in favor of giving the player options to make good teams. Where the challenge should be, is in the battles. The gym leaders just need to be that much stronger. Remember that even the 1st gym in this game will have a team of 6 very well trained OU/OU-pre-evos; maybe not fully evolved and fully ev trained (and at fairly low levels), but likely with very advanced movesets. Besides, it really doesn't matter how much you grind or how quickly your team gets strong when the E4 / Champ all have level 100 fully OU-ready teams.

Every Pokemon in this region is viable. The key to beating the game (in terms of team building) isn't assembling good Pokemon (remember, everything is good, and everything used against you will be good), but rather in-- team building, just as we know it on showdown. Team synergy, sets, playstyle, early/mid/late game plan. It doesn't matter how strong Azumarril is as an early game Pokemon if it doesn't work in whatever team you decide to build ultimately.

That's my opinion on it anyway-- but I'd rather let the user vote decide which Pokemon end up on the routes. IMO, no Pokemon suits the role played by Mammal 1 better than Azumarril.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Pokemon Proposal
Route 1
Shroomish
Standard/Thick Grass
Level 2-4

Breloom is a force in the metagame, however not to the level that others are, meaning giving it at Route 1, where massive options like Tyranitar are non-existent, give the player a bigger incentive to try it out, where they otherwise might not. Shroomish is also a decent Pokemon to see in the beginning, as it has a far larger "Route 1" vibe then something like Beldum, Scyther, and Larvitar do.

edited due to the above post

Shroomish is actually my Pokemon of choice as a self-induced trap/challenge. Of course, it's nowhere similar to the grind-esque kind that Magikarp is, however Shroomish definitely has some nice uphill instances when it comes to a playthrough perspective, and I like this concept being available for those people want to challenge themselves further when it comes to training some Pokemon. Anyone who ever tried to make a competitive Breloom in-game, be it in playthrough or post-game, knows the difficulty that Breloom creates. It's noticeably more difficult, but worth it nonetheless.

And Chou, thanks for the insight on your position of this project. I personally liked the idea of a more balance playthrough, hence why I'm a little against Azumarill's availability with its power spike early game, but your point has a very nice depth to it. I'm assuming with your plan in mind, we'll have more diversity when it comes to how players go through the game rather than abusing Pokemon with early levels of power, especially with the challenge heavily focused on some battles. Also because of this, I would assume that the game is not intended to be run through with only 6 Pokemon but rather a player should utilize multiple teams to get through certain challenges (might add a nice layer of experimentation), and this makes further sense with high exp Pokemon being available.

Doesn't Azuril have a happyness requirement to evolve? Since you're getting it from the wild, azuril will quite likely be above level 18 by the time it evolves. I personally see nothing wrong with it, even with huge power, it's still base 10 attack.

Also, belly-jet is only available via breeding, so there really is nothing to worry about.

Also, I'm definitely liking how Salemance handled my idea for the golette joke, definitely think it works nicely.

Hmmmm, I think route one is a tad early to be introducing trainers, so I offer this one.

NPC Proposal

Siv HD

"Some bitch just told me I cannot go up this ledge... Well, I don't give a fuck!"

*jumps up the ledge backwards*

Doesn't Azuril have a happyness requirement to evolve? Since you're getting it from the wild, azuril will quite likely be above level 18 by the time it evolves. I personally see nothing wrong with it, even with huge power, it's still base 10 attack.

Also, belly-jet is only available via breeding, so there really is nothing to worry about.

Also, I'm definitely liking how Salemance handled my idea for the golette joke, definitely think it works nicely.

Hmmmm, I think route one is a tad early to be introducing trainers, so I offer this one.

NPC Proposal

Siv HD

"Some bitch just told me I cannot go up this ledge... Well, I don't give a fuck!"

*jumps up the ledge backwards*
Don't give me all the credit, Cho was the one who suggested taking it to Klutzness comedy.

Also love the Npc, between him and berry man, we defy all laws! xD

I propose that instead of getting given a golett in route 1 like Salemance suggested, we have someone standing there complaining about how he has so many spitbacks filling up his boxes, and then gives you a golett egg.

I propose that instead of getting given a golett in route 1 like Salemance suggested, we have someone standing there complaining about how he has so many spitbacks filling up his boxes, and then gives you a golett egg.
I didn't suggest it, just saying an idea someone did. He is like right above my last post.

And forgive me, but Spitbacks?

a fairy

Community Leader
Pokemon who are obtained while trying to obtain a 'perfect' mold for a competitive Pokemon, but are missing out on one or two vital aspects (EVs, nature)

A spitback egg is kinda confusing, but maybe he had just hatched the perfect mold and didn't need the remaining eggs.

Pokemon who are obtained while trying to obtain a 'perfect' mold for a competitive Pokemon, but are missing out on one or two vital aspects (EVs, nature)

A spitback egg is kinda confusing, but maybe he had just hatched the perfect mold and didn't need the remaining eggs.

Eh alright then. I was just gonna go he had his Golurk's ugly duckling and didn't want it but that works too.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can the guy who did the Golurkmoar Town map make a route map too or are we going to have someone else do that?

Can the guy who did the Golurkmoar Town map make a route map too or are we going to have someone else do that?
The thing about routes is that you either need a building in between or you have to use the same tileset to make the route, since otherwise it looks weird. I'd be more than happy to make a map but it would look weird next to his if we didn't use the same tileset.

Also, we should probably have some idea of what is going to be on the route so we know where to put it. Are there going to be people or items on the map? How many? What about buildings or water? Is there a story involved?

That guy has a name thank you very much
I'd be happy to make the route, I just want to know how much ''branching'' paths I need to make due to items, NPC's etc.
And patches of water ofcourse.
And Storyline things etc.

Also coolking49 I used the HGSS tileset created by EpicDay on deviantart.

Anyways about TM's, the more commonly-used TM's in competitive battling are Toxic, Protect, Stealth Rock and Rest. I think picking one of those would be a nice first route TM to have.

EDIT: oops, I forgot to credit him for the tiles in the finished map lol.

Pokemon Proposal
Route 1
Eevee
Standard Grass
Levels 3-4

About half of the eeveeloutions are pretty viable in the current OU metagame, and they are not too overpowered. Also, putting them in route 1 allows early trainers to have some good variety in their types.

Edit:Did not see fourth inversions proposal

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
NPC Trainer Proposal
Route 1
Team: Lv. 5 Fletchling (do I need to give the moveset?)
Youngster Nick
Script: What, you think that because our eyes met we have to battle? Which douchebag thought that up? Fine, whatever. You look easy to beat.

Edit: nvm there shouldn't be a trainer on Route 1

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
NPC Trainer Proposal
Route 1
Team: Lv. 5 Fletchling (do I need to give the moveset?)
Youngster Nick
Script: What, you think that because our eyes met we have to battle? Which douchebag thought that up? Fine, whatever. You look easy to beat.
There is never a trainer on the first route other than a rival, so please no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)