Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Last edited:
Dunsparce has a serious niche: It is the slowest user of Rock Slide with Serence Grace. Under Trick Room, it will outspeed almost everything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has a 93.6% chance to flinch one Pokemon, a 65% chance to flinch two and a 21% chance to flinch three pokemon. This looks like a niche.
SO THAT'S A 179.6% CHANCE TO FLINCH? DUNSPARCE OP PLEASE BAN

in all seriousness, triples seems pretty sweet. I'm even more hyped for rotation battles because they're hilarious IMO, but I'll give triples a try eventually.

Rototiller is a great move to use on Triples. Works wonderfully with Grass Pokémon that can set up, like Sceptile.

This is pretty true. However, one of the things that can learn it is Rhypierior, who is very slow, gets STAB SlideQuake, has very high Attack and Defense, and resists flying type moves. In theory, it could make a great member of a Hail Room core.
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rototiller
- Protect

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain

Claydol @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This is what I came up with

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
KyleCole it appears from your replays you were using Pokemon in their mega form instead of the base form. This should be illegal but I guess it isn't since you're challenging via custom game. I guess you realized that in your third replay, but in your second, your opponent should have been able to switch out turn 1.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nah it's not the focus, it's just the one thing I felt I could comment on. Your replays were otherwise fine, though they played like standard doubles teams and you didn't take advantage of many triples quirks.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
yeah I tried to make solid teams as opposed to maybe sillier gimmicks
essentially doubles and triples do play fairly similarly, im not sure what you mean by quirks though..
by quirks i assume tennisace is focusing on positioning, not really gimmicks. stuff like side hitmontop + center togekiss + side deo-a (which will never get hit because follow me + wide guard) or something.

edit: oshit i just gave away my team

Tripls has a lot of potential and gives plenty of niches up.

One thing I noticed that is fun: Cherrim gets potential use as a supporter with its flower gift when paired with charziard y + a strong physical.
Now with grass otherwise getting love with rotiler and other moves, I think sun shine is gona have a lot of power in this meta.

Tripls has a lot of potential and gives plenty of niches up.

One thing I noticed that is fun: Cherrim gets potential use as a supporter with its flower gift when paired with charziard y + a strong physical.
Now with grass otherwise getting love with rotiler and other moves, I think sun shine is gona have a lot of power in this meta.
A physical Chlorophyll sweeper would work well, since it basically gets a free Shift Gear and AV from Sun+Flower Gift. Char-Y has usable physical attack and movepool, so mixed/physical varents are worth looking at. Arcanine has Intimidate and a good physical movepool, including STAB Sun boosted Flare Blitz.

BTW if something gets Intimidated multiple times while leading, does Defiant activate multiple times? Does White Herb remove all the Intimidates or just the first one?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Sturdinja strategy is fun: here is what you do:
  • Lead with Carbink and two Final Gambit users - an accelgor and something with scarf.
  • The Final Gambitters take themselves out to deal with the biggest threats on the field while Carbink sets up TR.
  • Ferrothorn and Shedinja come in: Ferrothorn is slower than the Carbink and Shedinja is faster than the Carbink while holding Safety goggles.
  • Ferrothorn uses Worry Seed non Shedinja and Carbink uses Skill Swap to give Shedinja Sturdy
  • Ferrothorn uses Thunder Wave on Shedinja.
Now Shedinja can't die outside of Mold Breaker and its variants as:
  • Safety goggles protect it from weather
  • Sturdy protects it from attacks
  • Paralysis protects it from status
Now Shedinja can proceed to set up and sweep while Carbink explodes and you bring in something to help Shedinja sweep.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The Sturdinja strategy is fun: here is what you do:
  • Lead with Carbink and two Final Gambit users - an accelgor and something with scarf.
  • The Final Gambitters take themselves out to deal with the biggest threats on the field while Carbink sets up TR.
  • Ferrothorn and Shedinja come in: Ferrothorn is slower than the Carbink and Shedinja is faster than the Carbink while holding Safety goggles.
  • Ferrothorn uses Worry Seed non Shedinja and Carbink uses Skill Swap to give Shedinja Sturdy
  • Ferrothorn uses Thunder Wave on Shedinja.
Now Shedinja can proceed to set up and sweep while Carbink explodes and you bring in something to help Shedinja sweep.
It's fun but it only works when your opponent doesn't see it coming. Taunt, protecting from final gambit, taunt, ghosts immune to final gambit, taunt, "faster" or prankster status, taunt, trick/switcheroo + weather, other ability changing moves (no idea how common these'll be), or taunt. But if the opposing team doesn't have any of these and lets you set it up, yeah it's pretty fun!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's fun but it only works when your opponent doesn't see it coming. Taunt, protecting from final gambit, taunt, ghosts immune to final gambit, taunt, "faster" or prankster status, taunt, trick/switcheroo + weather, other ability changing moves (no idea how common these'll be), or taunt. But if the opposing team doesn't have any of these and lets you set it up, yeah it's pretty fun!
Tbh, that is the main purpose of leading with the final gambitters, but yea if you can't take them out with Final Gambit you're screwed. It is great fun to troll less experienced players with it :)

Did you get that idea from my video? Do recall that I had the opportunity to Shadow Sneak that Shedinja, and it would've never happened. Back then, I didn't even know Carbink got Sturdy or even Skill Swap. Trust me, it's not a good strategy, no matter how carefully it was set up. But, as you said, it is fun, at least.

Anyway, I've had quite a bit of experience with triple battles, I will say, and it gets extremely annoying when people bring more than one focus sash. While generally an item clause won't matter much for other items, if somebody brings a team with six Pokemon focus sashed (because teams can be perfect without T-tarr/Abomasnow/Hippowdon) I'm going to be absolutely annoyed to death. Of course, since I play battle spot all the time, most of my teams are designed to deal with things like Dark Void (they banned it in Gen 5 Random Matchup but not in Gen 6 Battle Spot, I don't know why) and only one focus sash. Of course, there will also be new threats to consider, like Mew, which I've used on Free before. Mew gets every Move Tutor move, as well as Fake Out. Mew is incredible, and now that it'll be a thing to deal with, any team I've made for battle spot won't work as well. So, considering this, I'm going to start building some teams. However, I think that only one focus sash should be allowed. In a game where it's crucial to get KOs before that Pokemon can attack, when an entire team lives with 1 HP, I just don't really know what to say. I've had this experience multiple times before, and I think it's worthy of being considered.

Last edited:
Just pointing out that this isn't strictly true; Sturdy Shedinja, even when paralyzed, also dies to other varieties of passive damage, like partial trapping (e.g. Infestation) and Leech Seed.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Awesome metagame, I look forward to playing this more and learning more about it, thanks to TI for making this possible ^_^ (also has anybody figured out good tricks around swapping places with center pokemon? with wide guard that could be a nice way to deter many moves)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)