XY UU Specs Aggron, Hello?

Specs Aggron, Yay or Nay?

• Total voters
Hey Smogon.

I've played UU lots, and had one solid UU team, but it was getting a bit stale, and relied on sticky web & Locking opponents into moves using trick. Because of this, I decided to build a new team, and after some practice, liked the results.

One thing I wanted to look at when building my team was that I was able to re-create it in my Pokemon X game without requiring moves from pokebank (With the Exception of Krookodile, because I already had that in my BW2). If I could not get it in Pokemon X, I didn't not want to use it.

Another thing to note before getting into the team, is that on almost all of my teams, I like to run at least one inconventional set. One that people don't expect, to draw out walls, and surprise them with their weakspot (I.e. Physical Dedenne, Special Breloom).

Thats about it for the intro. Lets Get Started.

Crusher (Aggron) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

Here is my Inconventional set. The one I started the team with. Came across this when plying through emerald and learning that aggron could learn flamethrower and ice beam. Basically, this is designed to draw out walls such as Slowbro/Weezing, and hit them hard in return with a special attack. Catches people off guard and has sometimes been the deciding factor in the match. One problem I have found is that he did not hit Swampert very hard, and its only grass moves are HP Grass (Which I'm not capable of getting in X), and Solarbeam, which by the time you charge it, Swampert has already swapped out.

Tanker (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse

Next, I wanted to add my Mega. Mega Blastoise has a diverse moveset that I like, and hits like a truck, so I chose him to be my Mega. He can also take hits decently well, which can be useful when switching in to hits.

Aroma (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

After choosing my first Pokemon, and choosing my mega, I decided to build a defensive core. I jumped to the option of Florges, because it walls special attacks beautifully, and I had never used one before. In the team building process, it was kind of a biased decision, but a biased decision that worked nonetheless.

Scott (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Scald

I had one slot of my core filled, and had to find something to pair with Florges. I originally had Donphan in this slot, but after some research discovered that donphan does not get rocks without a move tutor in generation 5, not allowing me to get it in Pokemon X. After doing this research, I was a little upset, but turned to the UnderUsed room to find a replacement, and they suggested Slowbro. After a couple matches, the tears from losing donphan turned into tears of joy because this thing was 10x better then donphan was. Fllinig the role of a physical wall, and doing it even better. The only downside was that Slowbro doesn't get Rocks.

Sarah Lynn (Krookodile) (F) @ Choice Scarfed
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

After building the core, I noticed that I had very little physical offensive power (even with donphan). I decided that the next two slots had to be physical Attackers. This step was to find a choice scarf revenge killer, and Krookodile fit the spot. I had thought about putting Dugtrio in this spot with the choice band, but the Moxie + Knock Off Stab was too good for me to pass up. Kind of lacking, but gets the job done.

Halloween Haunter (Druddigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

With a core, a scarfed killer, a mega, and a diverse movepool special attacker, I need a physical attacker with the same diversity that Aggron and Druddigon fits the role. Because, every team needs a dragon, right? No. Don't ever think that. But in reality, Druddigon is kind of the runt of the group, not seeing much action, but still a useful asset to the team.

If You're Still Actually Reading, I hope that you can help me make this team even better then it already is.

Oh, and I'm not changing out specs aggron for anything. Maybe his moves a little, but the concept will remain the same.

Last edited:
Hello @TheOfficalMego! I like this teams' synergy, it flows nicely. Firstly, although Specs Aggron is certainly creative, it doesn't hit very hard when coming off of base 60 Special Attack. I'd recommend switching it out for Hydreigon, another powerful Pokemon. You lack a reliable way to handle Blissey certainly, and Hydreigon alleviates this problem. Hydreigon has a much better typing as well, so this can be useful. Next, on Blastoise I'd probably run Rapid Spin over either Ice Beam or Aura Sphere, as this is one of the reasons to use Mega Blastoise in the first place. I really like that Slowbro set, might I suggest Fire Blast > Toxic? Toxic does not do especially much for your team and Fire Blast hits Grass-types that your team has a bit of issues with. Since this team is leaning towards balance, more than Stall, I'd suggest changing Krookodile to physically defensive. Thus, you have another check to Blissey and Stealth Rock as well. Another alternative is changing out Hone Claws on Druddigon to Stealth Rock. Fire Punch is a decent option on Druddigon as well, as it can make use of it with Sheer Force and it nets it some nice coverage. Cool team man!

Summary:
  • ----->
  • Ice Beam / Aura Sphere -----> Rapid Spin
  • Toxic -----> Fire Blast
  • Current Set -----> Physically Defensive OR
    Hone Claws -----> Stealth Rock / Fire Punch
Sets:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Hi buddy :] Thought i'd give this team a rate. Ok, from the get go, I like that you're having fun with the game and using Specs Aggron but I'd have to say that using Mega Aggron is a much better idea if you're more serious about the team. Mega Aggron can act as your Stealth Rock user (which at the moment you're lacking) and also as a fantastic physical wall. The set would be as followed;

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Wave

This provides you with a Stealth Rock user and a nice core between Florges / Slowbro /Aggron . I also echo the changes being suggested by Unfixable in that you should sub out Ice Beam for Rapid Spin but rather than keeping Aura Sphere, you should run Dragon Pulse as it hits basically everything relevant that Aura Sphere hits while also being able to nail Pokemon like Toxicroak for heavy neutral damage. Changing Druddigon to Hydreigon is also a good option but instead of Fire Blast on the set mentioned above I would opt for Roost so that you can take on Chandelure better.

The next suggestion is the addition of a win condition. At the present moment, your team lacks direction and isn't really leading towards anything, so with that in mind I suggest you change Toxic on Slowbro to Calm Mind and use it as your win condition since Aggron works well as the primary physical wall for the team when paired with Florges Wish support. While on the topic of Florges, I suggest you change the EVs on Florges to 248HP/ 236 Def/ 24 Spdef / 4 Spd . This maxes both of Florges defenses seeing as it already has such a high Spdef stat, you don't need to be investing as heavily into it. Krookodile is fine to keep as a Scarfer since this is a balance team and Krook provides necessary Speed in order to Revenge kill fast threats. However, the moveset should be Knock Off/ Earthquake / Superpower / Pursuit or Stone Edge.

That's about it, hope the changes help your team and good luck with the team :]

Last edited:
Hi Unfixable and Calloflochie. Thanks for taking the time out to rate the team. I'll start with Aggron. Yes, I know Specs Aggron sounds really bad, and it is sub par with the rest of the sets. Because of this, I will try out Calloflochie's aggron set, but without the mega. One thing to remember - I already have the Mega Blastoise.

Speaking of Mega Blastoise, I have Removed Aura Sphere and added Rapid Spin.

Slowbro now has Fire Blast, not Calm Mind. I liked the idea of having both, but I will get to why I chose fire blast in a moment.

As for Krook, he is still the scarf set, however it now has Stone Edge over Rock Slide

One thing I have noticed (With Help From CoolStoryBrobat) is that Shaymin and SubCM Raikou take a massive dump on this team. Anyone know a way to fix that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)