Project RU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this thread is so dead =/, might as well try and liven it up. I updated it by removing Froslass which has been banned for a bit now, and i'm gonna post something to replace it in the hazard setters section right here.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit

What It Does: Accelgor's main role in the RU tier is as a suicide lead that uses its excellent base 145 Speed stat to get Spikes up early game, and boy does it do it well, reliably getting up at least one/two layers of Spikes per game. As mentioned in the previous sentence, Spikes are the reason you're using Accelgor in the first place, and as always they're excellent for wearing down grounded opponents over the course of a game to let a teammate end up with a late game sweep. Coming up next is Accelgor's super fast Encore, the threat of which lets Accelgor force switches and lock opponents into undesirable moves with ease, of which both situations can grant it one or more extra layers of Spikes. Encore can also be used to grant Accelgor's teammates free switch ins to set up and sweep, and punish Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and Kabutops for using Rapid Spin or Defog. Bug Buzz gives Accelgor a way to do minor damage to the opponent, break Focus Sashes, and ensure that it isn't total Prankster Taunt bait, but this Accelgor set isn't really meant to deal damage anyway. Lastly, Final Gambit lets Accelgor sacrifice itself against a Rapid Spin or Defog user, not just preventing them from removing the Spikes Accelgor has set, but giving one of Accelgor's teammates a free switch in to handle the situation accordingly. If Accelgor is still around later in the game, Final Gambit can also be used as an emergency method of taking out a dangerous threat.

Good Teammates: As with any Suicide Lead, what Accelgor appreciates most are teammates that can stop/punish the opponent when they try to remove the early game Spikes it sets. Doublade in particular makes a good partner, spinblocking the Spikes that Accelgor sets while using them to its own advantage to prepare for a Swords Dance sweep. On the Defog side, Braviary gets a free +2 Attack boost whenever an opponent such as Gligar or Golbat tries to use Defog, making it a great way to make people think twice about attempting hazard clearing. Because Accelgor can only set Spikes and not Stealth Rock, a teammate that can set them up to maximize residual damage on the opponent, such as Rhyperior, Cobalion, or Druddigon. is also a good partner. Lastly, the reason you're using suicide lead Accelgor in the first place is for Spikes, so fast sweepers that can take advantage of the residual damage they rack up on an opponent for an easy sweep are excellent teammates. Sharpedo in particular stands out, using the hazards that Accelgor can set to score KOs on bulkier opponents, which combined with its ability Speed Boost to prevent faster opponents from revenge killing it often ends up in a late game sweep. Other Pokemon that work effectively with Spikes include Zoroark, OTR Reuniclus, Speed Boost Yanmega, CM Delphox, SubCM Meloetta, and many more.

What Counters It: Considering Accelgor's amazing Speed stat and access to Final Gambit, stopping Accelgor from setting up Spikes can be a challenge, however, Rapid Spin and Defog users are still something to look out for when using an Accelgor team, even if they can't stop Accelgor right away due to the threat of Final Gambit, they can still come in and attempt to remove hazards later, and if they successfully do so it means Accelgor's job (and teamslot for that game) was for naught. As for stopping Accelgor from setting up any hazards directly, there are really only two options: Whimsicott and Xatu. The former can use Prankster Taunt to stop Accelgor from setting up hazards at all, and is now neutral to Bug Buzz. The latter can simply switch in on Accelgor and stop it from setting up any hazards at all just by being there, take into account though that both these Pokemon are still vulnerable to Final Gambit if you think you'll need them later on in the game. If you don't have any of these, a Pokemon with a decently powerful attack and a reliable priority move can reduce Accelgor to one layer of Spikes maximum. In particular, Doublade stands out because of its immunity to Accelgor's Final Gambit.

Any Additional Info: It's basically Froslass 0.5

this thread is so dead =/, might as well try and liven it up. I updated it by removing Froslass which has been banned for a bit now, and i'm gonna post something to replace it in the hazard setters section right here.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit

What It Does: Accelgor's main role in the RU tier is as a suicide lead that uses its excellent base 145 Speed stat to get Spikes up early game, and boy does it do it well, reliably getting up at least one/two layers of Spikes per game. As mentioned in the previous sentence, Spikes are the reason you're using Accelgor in the first place, and as always they're excellent for wearing down grounded opponents over the course of a game to let a teammate end up with a late game sweep. Coming up next is Accelgor's super fast Encore, the threat of which lets Accelgor force switches and lock opponents into undesirable moves with ease, of which both situations can grant it one or more extra layers of Spikes. Encore can also be used to grant Accelgor's teammates free switch ins to set up and sweep, and punish Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and Kabutops for using Rapid Spin or Defog. Bug Buzz gives Accelgor a way to do minor damage to the opponent, break Focus Sashes, and ensure that it isn't total Prankster Taunt bait, but this Accelgor set isn't really meant to deal damage anyway. Lastly, Final Gambit lets Accelgor sacrifice itself against a Rapid Spin or Defog user, not just preventing them from removing the Spikes Accelgor has set, but giving one of Accelgor's teammates a free switch in to handle the situation accordingly. If Accelgor is still around later in the game, Final Gambit can also be used as an emergency method of taking out a dangerous threat.

Good Teammates: As with any Suicide Lead, what Accelgor appreciates most are teammates that can stop/punish the opponent when they try to remove the early game Spikes it sets. Doublade in particular makes a good partner, spinblocking the Spikes that Accelgor sets while using them to its own advantage to prepare for a Swords Dance sweep. On the Defog side, Braviary gets a free +2 Attack boost whenever an opponent such as Gligar or Golbat tries to use Defog, making it a great way to make people think twice about attempting hazard clearing. Because Accelgor can only set Spikes and not Stealth Rock, a teammate that can set them up to maximize residual damage on the opponent, such as Rhyperior, Cobalion, or Druddigon. is also a good partner. Lastly, the reason you're using suicide lead Accelgor in the first place is for Spikes, so fast sweepers that can take advantage of the residual damage they rack up on an opponent for an easy sweep are excellent teammates. Sharpedo in particular stands out, using the hazards that Accelgor can set to score KOs on bulkier opponents, which combined with its ability Speed Boost to prevent faster opponents from revenge killing it often ends up in a late game sweep. Other Pokemon that work effectively with Spikes include Zoroark, OTR Reuniclus, Speed Boost Yanmega, CM Delphox, SubCM Meloetta, and many more.

What Counters It: Considering Accelgor's amazing Speed stat and access to Final Gambit, stopping Accelgor from setting up Spikes can be a challenge, however, Rapid Spin and Defog users are still something to look out for when using an Accelgor team, even if they can't stop Accelgor right away due to the threat of Final Gambit, they can still come in and attempt to remove hazards later, and if they successfully do so it means Accelgor's job (and teamslot for that game) was for naught. As for stopping Accelgor from setting up any hazards directly, there are really only two options: Whimsicott and Xatu. The former can use Prankster Taunt to stop Accelgor from setting up hazards at all, and is now neutral to Bug Buzz. The latter can simply switch in on Accelgor and stop it from setting up any hazards at all just by being there, take into account though that both these Pokemon are still vulnerable to Final Gambit if you think you'll need them later on in the game. If you don't have any of these, a Pokemon with a decently powerful attack and a reliable priority move can reduce Accelgor to one layer of Spikes maximum. In particular, Doublade stands out because of its immunity to Accelgor's Final Gambit.

Any Additional Info: It's basically Froslass 0.5
I've been using this set and I have to say Yawn is also an option. I use Accelgor with Mismagius. So in case the other player has any other lead that Accelgor outpseeds, I can Yawn. If they switch, I get free spikes + another yawn if I want. If they stay in and KO the Accelgor, I come in with Mismagius and get a free nasty plot. I'd replace Bug Buzz for Yawn.

I've been using this set and I have to say Yawn is also an option. I use Accelgor with Mismagius. So in case the other player has any other lead that Accelgor outpseeds, I can Yawn. If they switch, I get free spikes + another yawn if I want. If they stay in and KO the Accelgor, I come in with Mismagius and get a free nasty plot. I'd replace Bug Buzz for Yawn.
And become Taunt bait. No really, a (Prankster) Taunt user would limit you to a max of 1 layer spikes, forcing you to switch or kill yourself with Final Gambit.

And become Taunt bait. No really, a (Prankster) Taunt user would limit you to a max of 1 layer spikes, forcing you to switch or kill yourself with Final Gambit.
Well, it's an option. It could also be said that, without yawn, you have nothing to stop Doublade from setting up on you. Specific moves will be better against specific pokemon. Also, the main prankster taunt you'll see in RU is Mega Banette and Bug Buzz only does about 25% while Shadow Claw is a OHKO.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, it's an option. It could also be said that, without yawn, you have nothing to stop Doublade from setting up on you. Specific moves will be better against specific pokemon. Also, the main prankster taunt you'll see in RU is Mega Banette and Bug Buzz only does about 25% while Shadow Claw is a OHKO.
Encore locks Doublade into SD or Shadow Sneak, both of which are rather easy to punish.

Rather surprised this hasn't been added but oh well...

Mismagius (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute / Destiny Bond

Role: Special Sweeper, Lure

What It Does: Mismagius is probably one of the more underrated and underused Special Sweepers right now and, frankly, I have no idea why. It sits at a nice base 105 Speed, tying with Zoroark and outpacing Delphox by 2 points assuming max investment, has a good base 105 Special Attack and above all access to Nasty Plot. And while it has it's checks and counters like everything, it can just mix and match its moveset to troll some of them real hard. Generally, I run Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam, as it provides damn near perfect coverage (bar Pyroar, who needs Specs to actually threaten Missy) and hits most Ghost resists fairly hard. However, Hidden Power Fire can be used to bypass Escavalier, who can take a +2 Shadow Ball easily and KO with Iron Head or checkmate Mismagius with Pursuit. The last slot is what will generally decide what counters/checks you troll and what your team needs to handle. Substitute is for setting up in the face of Alomomola, Amoonguss and other Stall staples and also trolls silly Sharpedo thinking they can Protect to outpace and kill you next turn with the aid of Speed Boost, among the usual "avoid revenging shenanigans" that Substitute provides. Destiny Bond, however, gives Missmagius the potential to be a very strong lure. Most things that check, if not outright counter it also check similar Pokemon, such as CM/OTR Reuniclus and CM Cresselia for example. Destiny Bond (possibly in conjunction with Hidden Power Fire) allows you to take out all Escavalier, Drapion, Skuntank and others thinking they can stop Mismagius from sweeping and opens up a gaping hole for the aforementioned sweepers to come in and take advantage off. Generally, you should use Leftovers with Sub+NP to avoid killing yourself with LO+Substitute and Life Orb in conjunction with Destiny Bond to do as much damage as possible to everything before you suicide to take down something with you. Finally, although it's about to be rendered moot, Levitate allows Missy to avoid Sticky Web, allowing it to sweep SW teams easily if it can set up.

Good Teammates: Teammates that can provide ever useful hazard support are nice, especially so if they resist Missy's weaknesses. Cobalion can set up Stealth Rock, while also taking the odd Dark-type move for Mismagius (like Knock Off) and gaining an Attack boost in the process. If one is using Substitute, Missy needs teammates that can take out the few threats Substitute doesn't allow it to beat. Dugtrio in particular stands out as it can trap both Skuntank and Drapion, although it must watch out for Sucker Punch from the former. Fire-types that can switch into Escavalier fairly easily, like Moltres and Emboar, are also appreciated to break the metal bug. If Destiny Bond is the last move, however, teammates that appreciate the opposing teams special tanks gone are appreciated as they can then sweep unhindered. Reuniclus and Cresselia work, but so do Meloetta, NP+TR Cofragrigus and most special Ghost/Psychic sweepers in general.

What Counters It: What counters it largely depends on the last moveslot. If using Substitute, Specially Bulky Pokemon that don't really completely on passive damage and break it's Substitute work, such as Registeel, Specially Defensive Aromatisse, Assualt Vest Escavalier, and the like, although the latter must be wary of Hidden Power Fire. On the other hand, Destiny Bond is far harder to counter as the whole point of it is to lure in it's counters to help a teammate sweep, making countering it a fool's errand. However, it is easily taken out by faster Pokemon, especially if they prey on its subpar physical bulk. Certain threats, like Cincinno and Infiltrator Pokemon, can by pass Substitute and KO Mismagius quite easily, but as most Infiltrator Pokemon are rather slow, they must be wary of Destiny Bond.

Any Additional Info: Calm Mind is an option in conjunction with Substitute to make sure walls that attack on the Special side are nothing more then set up fodder, but lacks immediate power. Thunderbolt is also an option to hit most Pokemon that get hit neutral by Dazzling Gleam a touch harder and make it easier to attain certain KOs, like against Drapion, but leaves you walled by far more then the other two options. One can also use a third attack to avoid coverage issues, but makes Mismagius easier to deal with overall.

All in all, it's a very cool mon that deserves more usage.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Adding one here that really needed to be added.

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Role: Lead, Hazard Setter

What It Does: Omastar is one of the best options for a suicide lead on an offensive team, and it possesses multiple helpful traits that help get its job done. Its ability Weak Armor boosts its speed every time Omastar is hit by a physical attack, and it can outspeed most attackers after only a single boost, making it much easier for Omastar to get down more than a single layer of hazards. Access to Ice Beam coming off of a very usable special attack stat means that most common Defog users such as Gligar and Golbat cannot safely get rid of Omastar's hazards. A strong STAB Hydro Pump makes Omastar quite threatening offensively as well. Access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes means that other members of the team don't have to worry about carrying hazards, making Omastar easy to fit into many offensive teams.

Good Teammates: Omastar functions best on Hyper Offense teams that can utilize offensive pressure to stop the opponent from getting rid of hazards. Ghost-types like Spiritomb, Doublade, Mismagius, and Banette can all spinblock against most spinners. Although Omastar itself is good at checking most Defog users, Pokemon with strong Ice-type moves (for Gligar and Golbat), Rock-type moves (for Golbat), and Ground-type moves (for Skuntank) will reward smart plays as they will stop the opponent from Defogging away your hazards after Omastar is gone. Braviary can take advantage of Defiant to punish Defog users as well.

What Counters It: Strong or super effective special attacks from faster Pokemon are Omastar's number one concern, as they will likely 2HKO it and prevent it from getting down more than a layer of hazards because they do not trigger Weak Armor. Priority attacks are also an issue, as it allows attackers such as Hitmonlee to not have to worry about boosting Omastar's speed with physical moves. Defensive hazard removers like Hitmontop are also capable of thwarting Omastar's efforts as they can be difficult to wear down with Omastar's attacks alone.

Molk ok so i went to do it and it said it was too big to be edited and i was like AAAAAHHH so i delted the what not to use section since it's pointless and magnemties thread covers what not to use but it was still too long and i dont know what to do help meeeeeeee

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Molk ok so i went to do it and it said it was too big to be edited and i was like AAAAAHHH so i delted the what not to use section since it's pointless and magnemties thread covers what not to use but it was still too long and i dont know what to do help meeeeeeee
They recently implemented a 65000 character limit on posts, but the OP of this one is 247000+ so that is why it can't be edited, idk what to do about it though, lol

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I tried splitting the thread into two and even three posts, and when not just the OP, but all the seperate posts still reached the character limit in the end, i came to this conclusion.

This thread is too fking big

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Two posts for "What to Use" and two posts for "What not to Use" should be good imo.
Almost the entire thing is what to use (and he is deleting what not to use anyways) and it will still take 5 posts to fit everything and still have room to add more, lol

BASED

Banned deucer.
What to Use:

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Roles: Special Sweeper, Late Game Cleaner

What it Does: I have actually used this set quite a bit recently and have found a bit of success. What this set does is lure in a lot of common switch ins to the more common SD set i.e Doublade, Cofagrigus, Aromatisse, and Grass types (that aren't Amoonguss) and proceed to CM either on the switch into them or depending on the mon in their face. Virizion also has fantastic speed, outspeeding a larger portion of the tier and speed tying w/ Cobalion. Furthermore at +1 this thing still hits respectably hard (+1 lo FBlast is about as strong as +2 Lum cc.) Plus Giga Drain gives this set a bit more longevity than a lot of other set up sweepers. All of this and more makes this set quite dangerous.

Good Teammates: In my opinion this set works best with spike stacking support from Accelgor. The extra hazard damage makes it a lot easier to punch holes in teams/clean up late game at +1. Virizion still has problems taking down a healthy Amoonguss so anything that handles that can be paired with this. Bulky water type that can take on Delphox/Moltres reliably. A bulky steel type such as Doublade that can take a majority of the things that outspeed/threaten Virizion i.e Scarf Braiv, Speed Boost Yanmega, and Durant. Things that can put in work when Alomomola/Doublade are dead.

What Counters It: Weezing, Healthy Delphox, Healthy (or bulky) Moltres, Golbat, Clear Smog Amoonguss, and CM Cresselia are counters that really stick out to me.

Additional Info: If you are willing to lose to Doublade, AV Escav, All Amoongus, etc you can use HP Rock>Fire for Delphox/Moltres but I find HP Fire to be better a majority of the time.

Ok, I think I could make a new thread with a single post for each section and that /should/ be fine, need permission though, then once I've finished someone can delete this thread. Need permission / opinion though.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
alright, this thread is too big so we have to lock it and make a v2 (17 posts was a bit excessive but that should give more than enough room for TRC to add your entries in the future).

If you want to suggest a mon post it there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)