Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Diancie will not make OU BP from scizor ruins it... Too many common type weaknesses
Tyranitar + Breloom's Mach Punch = UU. :o

I realize Ttar is overall better than Diancie, but just naming a Technician boosted priority move that hits a Pokemon 4x super effectively doesn't mean it's bad. Also, just to say, Diancie's weaknesses are much more manageable than Ttars. It lacks the power, but it isn't bad.

jonnyknows

Banned deucer.
It has a lack of recovery and it's outclassed by lost of things, if you're struggling with ttar you can run other sr pokes, def lando t works well, but I can't see diancie lasting 5 minutes

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
It has a lack of recovery and it's outclassed by lost of things, if you're struggling with ttar you can run other sr pokes, def lando t works well, but I can't see diancie lasting 5 minutes
Its defenses are better than Mew's, it has a 50% chance every time it uses its signature move of increasing its physical bulk, and it has a 30% chance every time of increasing its special bulk when it uses its very spamable Fairy STAB. Defensively, it's very similar to Rhyperior, Tyranitar, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn; they all have a typing with notable weaknesses, as well as resistances, and lack recovery, and yet are able to be good defensive Pokemon. Diancie has the potential to provide more support than Tyranitar, Rhyperior, and Aegislash, as it has Stealth Rock and Dual Screens. Its typing leaves it with better a better 4x weakness than Tyranitar, Ferorthorn, and Rhyperior, as I'd argue Fighting, Water, Grass, and Fire are all more common than Steel. Its typing also only provides it with three additional weaknesses, which is less than Tyranitar and Rhyperior and the same as Aegislash, who only has Toxic as supportive utility. Again, I'm not saying Diancie is the best Pokemon in the world, but Pokemon that should struggle due to common weaknesses (all of Aegislash's, all of Ferrothorn's, most of Rhyperior's, most of Tyranitars) and lack of recovery (all four) are some of the best defensive Pokemon around. Diancie's bulk is very similar to Aegislash's, it has the capability of being mixed offensively, and has two of the best STABs around. It lacks good coverage (Psychic-Steel-Hidden Power coverage is laughable), but it's not that dissimilar to other extremely good Pokemon. It might not be as good, but seriously. Upon looking at Tyranitar's speed + typing, would anyone think it'd be good? We don't even know Mega Diancie's final stats or ability, so it's way too soon to judge how it as a whole will be. But normal Diancie doesn't seem as bad as people are making it seem.

Its defenses are better than Mew's, it has a 50% chance every time it uses its signature move of increasing its physical bulk, and it has a 30% chance every time of increasing its special bulk when it uses its very spamable Fairy STAB. Defensively, it's very similar to Rhyperior, Tyranitar, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn; they all have a typing with notable weaknesses, as well as resistances, and lack recovery, and yet are able to be good defensive Pokemon. Diancie has the potential to provide more support than Tyranitar, Rhyperior, and Aegislash, as it has Stealth Rock and Dual Screens. Its typing leaves it with better a better 4x weakness than Tyranitar, Ferorthorn, and Rhyperior, as I'd argue Fighting, Water, Grass, and Fire are all more common than Steel. Its typing also only provides it with three additional weaknesses, which is less than Tyranitar and Rhyperior and the same as Aegislash, who only has Toxic as supportive utility. Again, I'm not saying Diancie is the best Pokemon in the world, but Pokemon that should struggle due to common weaknesses (all of Aegislash's, all of Ferrothorn's, most of Rhyperior's, most of Tyranitars) and lack of recovery (all four) are some of the best defensive Pokemon around. Diancie's bulk is very similar to Aegislash's, it has the capability of being mixed offensively, and has two of the best STABs around. It lacks good coverage (Psychic-Steel-Hidden Power coverage is laughable), but it's not that dissimilar to other extremely good Pokemon. It might not be as good, but seriously. Upon looking at Tyranitar's speed + typing, would anyone think it'd be good? We don't even know Mega Diancie's final stats or ability, so it's way too soon to judge how it as a whole will be. But normal Diancie doesn't seem as bad as people are making it seem.
i just wish it had a usable base hp stat. This was the same problem that kept Cofagrigus from seeing any real play in OU, despite it's initial hype from being one of the few real counters to MegaKhan at the time. Honestly, these stats just don't scream "wall" to me. If anything, Diancie seems like a mixed-defensive offensive tank or a hazard lead that can still hurt things if taunted.

I realize that Rotom also has low HP, but that's very much a match-up oriented poke that relies on its myriad of resistances and switch-in opps as opposed to simple BST, a luxury that Diancie doesn't seem to have.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
i just wish it had a usable base hp stat. This was the same problem that kept Cofagrigus from seeing any real play in OU, despite it's initial hype from being one of the few real counters to MegaKhan at the time. Honestly, these stats just don't scream "wall" to me. If anything, Diancie seems like a mixed-defensive offensive tank or a hazard lead that can still hurt things if taunted.

I realize that Rotom also has low HP, but that's very much a match-up oriented poke that relies on its myriad of resistances and switch-in opps as opposed to simple BST, a luxury that Diancie doesn't seem to have.
Its defensive stats are basically 100-100-100, which is pretty solid, while Cofagrigus's defensive stats are basically 100-100-70, which again isn't that bad. I do agree though that its HP is a crippling factor. However, its full stats are unknown, it could get, i'm guessing, 150 in both offenses or 200 in both defenses. Either would make it better than it is now. A better ability, which is basically confirmed it will get, will also make it better. Unfortunately the movepool is probably all set.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Its defensive stats are basically 100-100-100, which is pretty solid, while Cofagrigus's defensive stats are basically 100-100-70, which again isn't that bad. I do agree though that its HP is a crippling factor. However, its full stats are unknown, it could get, i'm guessing, 150 in both offenses or 200 in both defenses. Either would make it better than it is now. A better ability, which is basically confirmed it will get, will also make it better. Unfortunately the movepool is probably all set.
If it's lucky it'll get Pixilate, but other than that I can't see Mega Sailor Moon being useful based off of the information we have right now.

Diancie will probably be a great Zard X and Talonflame counter with its Fire and Flying resists and can sorta check unboosted Mega Pinsir.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO (Guaranteed after SR)
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 372-436 (137.2 - 160.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So it's got that going for it.

If it's lucky it'll get Pixilate, but other than that I can't see Mega Sailor Moon being useful based off of the information we have right now.

Diancie will probably be a great Zard X and Talonflame counter with its Fire and Flying resists and can sorta check unboosted Mega Pinsir.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO (Guaranteed after SR)
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 372-436 (137.2 - 160.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So it's got that going for it.
It can counter Choice Band Talonflame, but it can only check Bulk Up Talonflame as:
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 288-338 (80 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 144-169 (40 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (while Roosting)
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 192-228 (53.3 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Granted Talonflame can't really do anything back, but burn damage with a lack of recovery means this is a battle Diancie can't win without a crit.

It can counter Choice Band Talonflame, but it can only check Bulk Up Talonflame as:
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 288-338 (80 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 144-169 (40 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (while Roosting)
0 Atk burned Diancie Diamond Storm vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 192-228 (53.3 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Granted Talonflame can't really do anything back, but burn damage with a lack of recovery means this is a battle Diancie can't win without a crit.
If your team is talonflame weak and you're using Diance to counter you could run toxic if if you really need every set covered.

The most common Choice Banded set for Talonflame runs Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn, with the 4th slot being a virtual filler (Tailwind or Sleep Talk). Previously, there was no reason to use Steel Wing, as Carbink was irrelevant in OU, but with Diancie out, I think the standard set will change to Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn/Steel Wing.

A few calculations with basic 252 EV spreads:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 260-308 (107.8 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO [improbable - Diancie's HP is so low that it's important to run 252 HP]
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 260-308 (85.5 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 176-208 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 200-236 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery [the most likely scenario]
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That said, Steel Wing is only likely to be seen on the Choice Banded set, as there's no reason to run four attacks with any other held item. Diancie is still a solid Talonflame check, and having a Talonflame locked into a weak coverage move like Steel Wing will provide a virtual free turn for a lot of pokemon.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
It's starting to feel like they're just slapping magic bounce on any mega they can't think of anything better for. I mean good for Diancie OU inbound but it's getting old.
At least unlike m-absol, diancie has the bulk to abuse it

and hey, wasn't one of the arguments for the swagger ban that "everything with magic bouncs is weak to foul play"...?

Now we've got:
- 2 with mold breaker
- 3 with tough claws (if you count m-metagross which still seems to be up in the air a bit)
- 3 with magic bounce
- 2 with levitate
- 2 with huge/pure power

duplicate abilities are nothing new

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
So there's literally no reason to use M-Sableye now that M-Diancie gets Magic Bounce.

Also, both offensive and defensive Megazard X are completely countered unless it starts running Steel Wings (EQ doesn't 2HKO).

The main reason to use Mega Sableye over Mega Diancie would be a generally better defensive typing, and access to recovery. I guess a set like Rest/Sleep Talk/Calm Mind/Moonblast [Diamond Storm only has 8PP and could easily be stalled out] might be viable on Mega Diancie though, with support from a trapper like Magnezone?

Im not sure how I feel about Diancie.

I can see it being an alright rock setter, traditional counter to flying spam ( Steelwing talon inc?), probably a good way to deal with zard-x sets, a TR setter with explosion + rocks.

I feel its movepool is pretty shallow, the stuff it attracts i.e : Steels it can generally not touch.

Rock typing for it is kind of a double edged sword and makes it x 4 weak to steel making it a big scizor/mawile lure and potentially giving these mons free turns is pretty hazardous.

EDIT: Also wouldn't these magic bounce users have been more useful in a Deo Era n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)