Same Type Stealth Rock

There's only one Stealth Rock setter that has Spikes and can Punish Flying-types with SE Stealth Rock: it's Omastar. So Flying type pokemon will handle teams that are based around hazard stacking since they resist Stealth Rock of main SR+Spikes setters (Ferrothorn, Forretress) or neutral to SR (Deoxys, Skarmory, Smeargle) and Deoxys and Smeargle with Omastar (viable?) are the only Pokemon that can set up hazards that damage Talonflame for 1/8 or more of its health. Just something to think about.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
There's only one Stealth Rock setter that has Spikes and can Punish Flying-types with SE Stealth Rock: it's Omastar. So Flying type pokemon will handle teams that are based around hazard stacking since they resist Stealth Rock of main SR+Spikes setters (Ferrothorn, Forretress) or neutral to SR (Deoxys, Skarmory, Smeargle) and Deoxys and Smeargle with Omastar (viable?) are the only Pokemon that can set up hazards that damage Talonflame for 1/8 or more of its health. Just something to think about.
Which makes Mamoswine even more important in this metagame since there is no Electric-type Stealth Rock and ice is the only other type SE against flying.

I think it would be best to carry two or even three types of SR in each team and use them accordingly throughout the match. This is especially important for stall teams since they heavily rely on hazard damage.
For example carrying Mamoswine+Heatran ice and fire rocks which have great SE coverage and both are reliable users of the move.

Having said that, Defog will also probably be quite common. You never know before your battle whether or not you will need it, which means that you'll probably want it just in case. Plus, as somebody else mentioned, you might occasionally want to Defog your own Stealth Rock so that you can set up a different type.
Do you have to Defog before using a differently-typed SR? Let's say I used fire rocks earlier in the match, but now I want to use ice rocks, shouldn't the latter just overwrite the former without having to use Defog first?

Added new mechanics:
Protean sets Rock type Stealth Rock.
Pokemon with Levitate are immune to Ground type Stealth Rock.
Volt Absorb removes Electric type Stealth Rock.
Water Absorb removes Water type Stealth Rock.
Rapid Spin (without Scrappy) does not remove Ghost type Stealth Rock.
I wanted to be conservative and these made the most sense after reading in-game ability descriptions.

PS: When Stealth Rock's type is changed in-game, the move doesn't do anything (think Splash).

EV

Banned deucer.
Get ready for some gimmicky ways to change Stealth Rock's type:
  • Soak/Electrify: Do you think your opponent's Heatran is going to throw out a bunch of Fire-type Rocks? Turn that beast into Water or make their moves Electric, and then send in your corresponding Water/Volt Absorber to psuedo-spin them away!
  • Reflect Type: Prefer the primary typing of your enemy? Mew, Omastar, and Stunfisk can steal that type to throw out a new type of Rocks if it would do more to the enemy's team than Psychic, Rock, and Ground respectively. Very situational!
  • Color Change Kecleon: Come in on a predicted attack, change to that type, and set up a new type of Rocks (you probably don't want to get hit with Fighting ... and you can't ever get Ghost unless you chain, which will be pretty difficult.)
  • Copycat: Want Fighting Stealth Rocks? Lucario can get those for you.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get Ghost rocks...

On a serious note, will Scrappy Stealth Rocks hit Ghost-types?

What about other type-absorbing Abilities like Flash Fire and Sap Sipper? Did you decide not to have them absorb their type Rocks?

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What about other type-absorbing Abilities like Flash Fire and Sap Sipper? Did you decide not to have them absorb their type Rocks?
I would think it functions just like Water Absorb and removes its respective type, in this case, Flash Fire and Sap Sipper would remove Stealth Fire and Stealth Grass, respectively.

I would think it functions just like Water Absorb and removes its respective type, in this case, Flash Fire and Sap Sipper would remove Stealth Fire and Stealth Grass, respectively.
I'd feel like they wouldn't, simply because things like Volt Absorb and Water Absorb activate on damage, while Flash Fire, Sap Sipper, Storm Drain, and Lightningrod activating on a move. I feel like they wouldn't for the same reason that you can still Baton Pass Leech Seed to a Ferrothorn. I checked on Showdown right before posting this. Also, its easier to leave as is than to change. If the actual type of the move changed, then I would say they would absorb them and gain the effect, but it doesn't, as evidenced by Protean equaling always Rock type.

Correct. However, I'll still think about it. Sap Sipper and other abilities that increase stats specifically mention an attack. But Flash Fire mentions fire. So I may consider Flash Fire activating.

3rd attempted edit: Maybe noivern, a fighting type, a ghost type and an electric type could be given sr so we get all the stsr?

Last edited:
It makes sense to me that in a game where the major change is Stealth Rock is now a Hidden Power Hazard, there ought to be a user for each type. Give some more guys Stealth Rock for the sake of the meta, I say; they aren't just stones anymore.

In regards to abilities, those that negate damage from attacks of a certain type, except for Wonder Guard, should negate Stealth damage from that type (even if Ring Target is held), but those that raise stats or heal when attacked by a certain type should not do so.

In other words:

Levitate + Ground SR = no damage, unless Gravity/Iron Ball/etc. in which case Levitate is ignored
Dry Skin + Water SR = no damage, no healing
Dry Skin + Fire SR = damage unaffected by Ability
Storm Drain + Water SR = no damage, no stat boost
Sap Sipper + Grass SR = no damage, no stat boost
Filter + any super-effective SR = damage unaffected by Ability
Thick Fat + Fire or Ice SR = damage unaffected by Ability
Wonder Guard + any SR = damage unaffected by Ability

It makes sense to me that in a game where the major change is Stealth Rock is now a Hidden Power Hazard, there ought to be a user for each type. Give some more guys Stealth Rock for the sake of the meta, I say; they aren't just stones anymore.
3rd attempted edit: Maybe noivern, a fighting type, a ghost type and an electric type could be given sr so we get all the stsr?
This isn't a pet mod. OMs are built around fundamental changes, such as changing SR's type or giving everyone one free move (Sketchmons). By giving other Pokemon access to Stealth Rock, we're making it less intuitive and more custom (just like a pet mod).

Here are a few things:
  • Bisharp (and Pawniard) are the only Pokemon to get Dark type Stealth Rock.
  • The Mamoswine family are the only Pokemon with Ice type Stealth Rock.
  • Nidoqueen and Nidoking are the only Pokemon with Poison type Stealth Rock.
  • There is no Electric, Flying, Ghost or Fighting type Stealth Rock user. However, there are Pokemon which have those for secondary types that can use Stealth Rock. (Such as Stunfisk, Archeops, Golurk and Terrakion)

• Ground would be one of the most powerful Stealth Rock types, as it is Supereffective against 5 Types. Ironically, Fighting would too however ther is no Fighting type Stealth Rock user.
  • Normal would be the worst type Stealth Rock, as no type is weak to it, 2 types resist it and 1 is immune. Dragon is second worst. (Also, no. The Garchomp family aren't the only Pokemon that have Dragon-type Stealth Rock. Druddigon exists.)

Correct. However, I'll still think about it. Sap Sipper and other abilities that increase stats specifically mention an attack. But Flash Fire mentions fire. So I may consider Flash Fire activating.
Doesn't Sap Sipper activate on Leech Seed? I wouldn't call that an attack.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something similar to this was brought up by at least one other person, but whatever.

The issue with it only being primary type is that there are a variety of missing SR types (Flying and Electric being prime examples of this). So I was thinking for a bit about this mechanic and then something occurred to me when I saw someone mentioning chosing whether it is primary or secondary typing. A way that this could be worked is if, similarly to hidden power, there were two versions of Stealth Rock: primary and secondary, with single-typed pokemon only being able to learn primary. However, unlike Hidden Power, this would have no effect on IVs, with the importable versions looking like the hidden power types ("Stealth Rock [Primary]" and "Stealth Rock [Secondary]" - this is similar to hidden power's importable version as it says "Hidden Power [Ice]" (or whatever type HP you choose to use)). This change would add a layer to teambuilding that I feel would be rather interresting, and there are some pokemon which really wish that they had access to their other type, such as Skarmory (as a Steel-type Stealth Rock is generally pretty terrible when it could have a Flying-type SR) and it would open the role up to so many users that would otherwise steer clear of the move. Sure there would still be a few types which would be Stealth Rock-free, such as Electric (unless you don't mind wasting a team slot on Stunfisk), but it would really open up the metagame to some wierder things like Cobalion, who would otherwise steer clear of this metagame as they were weak to common SR types and having a poor Stealth Rock of its own, changing from the the steel-type SR to the floating fists that people have been talking about.

Now, time for me to do one of these:

Entry Hazards (Normal)
Floating Fists (Fighting)
Pointed Beaks (Flying)
Acid Pool (Poison)
Potholes (Ground)
Stealth Rock (Rock)
Hornet's Nest (Bug)
Spooky Hands (Ghost)
Iron Ore (Steel)
Great Balls of Fire Molten Rocks (Fire)
Sharkskin Sheds (Water)
Thorns (Grass)
Static Trap (Electric)
Telekinetic Friction (Psychic)
Icicles (Ice)
Komodo Spit (Dragon)
His Dark Materials (Dark)
Glowstone Shards (Fairy)

Last edited:
Something similar to this was brought up by at least one other person, but whatever.

The issue with it only being primary type is that there are a variety of missing SR types (Flying and Electric being prime examples of this). So I was thinking for a bit about this mechanic and then something occurred to me when I saw someone mentioning chosing whether it is primary or secondary typing. A way that this could be worked is if, similarly to hidden power, there were two versions of Stealth Rock: primary and secondary, with single-typed pokemon only being able to learn primary. However, unlike Hidden Power, this would have no effect on IVs, with the importable versions looking like the hidden power types ("Stealth Rock [Primary]" and "Stealth Rock [Secondary]" - this is similar to hidden power's importable version as it says "Hidden Power [Ice]" (or whatever type HP you choose to use)). This change would add a layer to teambuilding that I feel would be rather interresting, and there are some pokemon which really wish that they had access to their other type, such as Skarmory (as a Steel-type Stealth Rock is generally pretty terrible when it could have a Flying-type SR) and it would open the role up to so many users that would otherwise steer clear of the move. Sure there would still be a few types which would be Stealth Rock-free, such as Electric (unless you don't mind wasting a team slot on Stunfisk), but it would really open up the metagame to some wierder things like Cobalion, who would otherwise steer clear of this metagame as they were weak to common SR types and having a poor Stealth Rock of its own, changing from the the steel-type SR to the floating fists that people have been talking about.

Now, time for me to do one of these:

Entry Hazards (Normal)
Floating Fists (Fighting)
Pointed Beaks (Flying)
Acid Pool (Poison)
Potholes (Ground)
Stealth Rock (Rock)
Wasps Nest (Bug)
Spooky Hands (Ghost)
Iron Ore (Steel)
Great Balls of Fire Molten Rocks (Fire)
Sharkskin Sheds (Water)
Thorns (Grass)
Static Trap (Electric)
Telekinetic Friction (Psychic)
Icicles (Ice)
Komodo Spit (Dragon)
His Dark Materials (Dark)
Glowstone Shards (Fairy)
Phillip Pullman reference for Dark Stealth Rock?

Also, The Immortal , if STSR where to use the user's secondary type when considering what type stealth rock it would be, then we would only miss Ice and Poison type stealth rock (although the logo would need changing...).
If it is kept as the primary type that decides stealth rock's type, then we miss Fighting, Electric, Flying and Ghost, Fighting being one of the most powerful.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Phillip Pullman reference for Dark Stealth Rock?

Also, The Immortal , if STSR where to use the user's secondary type when considering what type stealth rock it would be, then we would only miss Ice and Poison type stealth rock (although the logo would need changing...).
If it is kept as the primary type that decides stealth rock's type, then we miss Fighting, Electric, Flying and Ghost, Fighting being one of the most powerful.
thats why there was the suggestion to implement a new SR that uses that pokemons second type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)