np: XY OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Ghost of Perdition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. This is pretty common knowledge, to be honest. Unless you actually think that BW OU, the single most diverse OU metagame in terms of common Pokemon and playstyles in the history of Pokemon, was a good and balanced metagame.
I'm not gonna talk about gen 5. I don't feel like I have the neccesary knowledge when it comes to that meta.

I cannot believe there are people out there who are against a diverse meta. You are content with seeing the same sets/teams copy and pasted everywhere? I'm sorry but that sounds disgusting.

There are many people who are fed up with OU exactly for that reason. Diversity in a game like this is a necesity, otherwise it swiftly becomes dull and repetitive.

I seriously can't believe this is a thing, and I find it hard to understand how this is "common knowledge".

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

ok so I have been seeing a lot of really funny arguments right here in this thread. I never felt like Aegislash was broken in the slightest and frankly, the pro-ban
arguments are sometimes so laughably bad that they only reinforce my opinion that Aegislash shouldn't be banned. Let's break the main reasons why Aegislash is supposedly banworthy down, shall we?

Aegislash forces 50/50s. This is the central argument from the pro-ban side and also a very amusing one. Why, you ask? Because that's pretty much the whole thing the tier's centered around. It's called prediction, folks. Yes, your opponent can either go for KS or attack, the first being a generally safe option, albeit one that doesn't really hurt your opponent because you're not attacking him, nor are you setting up, and the second being the risky play, which can dent a potential switchin by quite a bit but risks just getting KOd if your opponent predicts it. Now what is apparently the big issue is that the 50/50s Aegislash forces are unfair and luck-based. I, however, fail to see how KS vs attack is any different from the average 50/50. Let's say my HP Fighting/Fire Latios is in on your Landorus. My opponent has a Bisharp. Now I could use HP to nail Bisharp on the switch, but if my opponent knows that would be too obvious he could just stay in and use Sludge Wave to finish me off (for the sake of convenience let's assume Latios is weakened and can be KOd by Sludge Wave at this range), so maybe I want to go for Draco Meteor instead. It's not exactly the same situation of course, but the line can be drawn: Draco Meteor is the safer option because you don't immediately get KOd in case your opponent predicts correctly and HP is the riskier play, but it is a better reaction to the most obvious play your opponent can make, just like KS is the safer option where Aegislash doesn't get harmed when it does it, but does open the way for, say, a Landorus to come in and threaten it out, thus shifting the offensive momentum towards the opponent, whereas Shadow Ball is a much riskier play because you risk a certain KO in case your opponent predicts correctly, but is less obvious and therefor might catch the opponent off guard. Face it: The meta right now is 50/50s, banning one or two Pokemon that are part of this 50/50-heavy meta doesn't solve the problem.

On another note, when Aegislash wins a 50/50, the worst that can happen is that something is severely dented, for there isn't much that is OHKOd by standard crumbler and it has no means of setting up successfully bar WP sets and Stance Dance, which both come with their fair share of problems. I'm way more terrified of losing a 50/50 vs, say, a Mawile, because if it SDs on the switch then there's a fat chance that at least one of my mons is roflstomped.

Its stats are too good. Yeah uh, you should never base your arguments on raw stats. Unlike what many people state, it doesn't have an effective BST of 720 because you have to keep on using KS to keep that bulk. Also, if Kyurem-B proved anything, it's that base stats don't say much about how good the Pokemon is. One thing that people also forget is that, when they are talking about Aegislash' offensive presence they only take into account that it has "THE SAME OFFENSES AS DEOXYS", whereas nobody seems to really shine a light on the fact that a) Aegislash' main STAB move has a BP of 80, which is hardly impressive and b) considering Aegislash is generally used as a tank and needs to be able to switch up moves to be effective, meaning that most boosting items (LO and Choice items) are generally not very good choices for it (bar lure sets, which I will come back to later on). These 2 facts mean that Aegislash isn't as strong as people are making it out to be. With bulk that is only in effect after a KS (and a shitty HP st and offensive stats that are compromised by a kinda weak STAB move and the need for some survivability, these base stats suddenly aren't that spectacular anymore, now are they?

It's overcentralizing. This is blatantly false. Yes, you have to prepare for Aegislash, but you have to prepare for every top threat, so Aegislash isn't unique in this regard. What's more is that you don't have to run things specifically for it in order to not be screwed by it. Anything that does a good job at checking Aegislash has other purposes. Bring me examples of times where you feel like your team is well-built but can't fit a proper answer to Aegislash on it. Furthermore, apparently it's a big deal that some mons run EQ over something else in order to be able to hit Aegislash, but I don't see this as a great example of why Aegislash would be so overcentralizing, because these mons can afford to run EQ anyway: Ttar would otherwise run Superpower over EQ, which generally hits the same targets as EQ but is slightly stronger at the cost of a stat drop, choiced Terrakion only needs its STABs to cover pretty much anything it needs and can do whatever with its last two slots anyway and Mega Pinsir would otherwise run CC, which also generally hits the same targets but is slightly stronger at the cost of a stat drop. This does show some centralization, but none of these examples show me that people run necessarily bad things for Aegislash, but rather slightly inferior things that they would otherwise pass up, but as is the case with any top threat, if you're able to hit it hard without passing any coverage up, why wouldn't you?

It's versatile. None more versatile than others, I'd say. Aegislash has two main sets: Crumbler and SubToxic. Other than these, it has some niche sets like lures (max speed to donk Bisharp, LO Flash Cannon to beat Mandibuzz more reliably, etc) and some sweeping sets like Weakness Policy (which relies on taking a hit that it can hardly take in order to "sweep" which is easier said than done because you need to use Autotomize for your speed and priority is still everywhere, so good luck sweeping when you're so low on HP) and Stance Dance (went out of fashion really fast because it doesn't KO much with Sneak even at +2, meaning that it will be picked off sooner or later). Now the problem with all these other sets is that when you aren't facing the usual check/counter you want to beat with it, it's a subpar set, making them none more effective than lure sets on other mons. Also, mispredicting the Aegislash set isn't the end of the world, because unlike when you think that, let's say, your opponent's Azumarill is CB but it turns out to be BD, your team isn't going to be immediately swept or heavily weakened. One mon might go down to it, but that's because you mispredicted, so it's only natural that you're going to lose a mon in that case. I think its versatility is slightly overstated.

Other, minor arguments that I have spotted and would like to debunk:

Using Aegislash is luck-based. Whoever said this needs to check himself, there is a fine line between predicting whether your opponent does A or does B and predicting whether or not A will happen to your opponent. When you say something is luck-based, it means that you rely on an external factor that neither player has any say in (hax): This is simply not the case with Aegislash so idk wtf was going on there.

Aegislash makes certain mons less viable. The same goes for Talonflame, the same goes for Chansey, the same goes for a whole lot of mons. More viable mons in the meta is not a better meta by definition and one should never use this as a ground for banning something as long as it doesn't become ridiculous.

that's it for now, no tl;dr for you learn to be patient and sit thru a post you lazy piece of shit
The fact that Aegislash is over centralizing is just that: a fact. If you don't see that the tier is literally built around Aegislash then you're not playing OU. Every single Pokemon in the tier is forced to account for it, and it singlehandedly makes numerous Pokemon less viable or unviable. lol Talonflame and Chansey? What are those making significantly less viable/good. Nothing. Greninja is walled by Chansey. Does that make it less viable? Hell no. Pokemon like Keldeo and slightly weakened Mega Gyara can easily be RK'd by Talon. Impact on their viability? Almost negligible. And I can say that about so much in the tier -- only Aegislash has this effect.

You are hella downplaying its versatility. Fast LO is a lure set? It wrecks much of the defensive tier. SD is a lure set? Head Smash lures, sure, but that set is a sweeper/breaker and a damn good one at that. Just because a set is less common doesn't make it that much less good. 4 solidly viable sets. And that's not the extent of it. To list all the combinations Aegi can run would be insane...just one set:

Slow Tank
Item: Leftovers / Spooky Plate / Air Balloon
1) KS
2) Shadow Ball
3/4) Iron Head / Toxic / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / Pursuit

SubToxic is obvious. Speedy has one changeable moveslot (for Pursuit) and a usual item (LO) that can be changed to bluff (Leftovers, Air Balloon). SD is SD / Shadow Sneak / Iron Head or Sacred Sword or Head Smash (pick 2). You can do more beyond this even like Toxzn ran HP Fire on LO Aegi in one WCOP match. There are so many things Aegislash can be running that it's ridiculous to say it's not very versatile.

And on 50/50s, Aegislash absolutely causes many and banning it removes a decent amount of the 50/50s that currently plague the tier. You're saying 'XY is 50/50s, that's how it is' while directly avoiding a route to help fix that.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Aegislash has to go for several reasons. The main one is that it is so good at everything it does there is almost no reason to not use it. Aegislash fits well on every playstyle there is, from stall to hyper offense, due to its unique ability that gives it 150 base on 4 stats and its good typing / movepool. It literally has almost no safe switch-in, and if you say Hippowdon is a counter, try beating SubToxic Aegislash with it. To be honest (and exaggerated), it reminds me a lot of GSC Snorlax in the sense that it is a great presence offensively and defensively speaking. It is not only a switch-in to several threats, but it's also something almost nothing can switch into. It also forces too many 50/50s, which is always something annoying for the metagame. Wether it is King's Shield, Pursuit, Sucker Punch etc., they happen all the time when Aegislash is on the field. It's also too versatile and good at nearly everything. Just like Deoxys-S, Aegislash has the potential to turn the match around in one turn. You might not be expecting the max Speed Hasty Aegislash when it outspeeds and OHKOes your Bisharp with Sacred Sword, for example. You can send in your counter, like your Landorus, and lose it eventually due to Toxic. I've seen people running SubToxic, Life Orb attacker, standard King's Shield attacker, Swords Dance, even Head Smash, and all of them worked well. Of course it's check by several stuff (like everything else in the metagame), but that doesn't change the fact that there's no safe switch into it and that it's simply too good to not use. This is my opinion, and I believe Aegislash has to go. I will wait until I get reqs before I'm 100% sure of my decision, however, so I can see if the metagame really is better without it.

I'm not gonna talk about gen 5. I don't feel like I have the neccesary knowledge when it comes to that meta.

I cannot believe there are people out there who are against a diverse meta. You are content with seeing the same sets/teams copy and pasted everywhere? I'm sorry but that sounds disgusting.

There are many people who are fed up with OU exactly for that reason. Diversity in a game like this is a necesity, otherwise it swiftly becomes dull and repetitive.

I seriously can't believe this is a thing, and I find it hard to understand how this is "common knowledge".

I totally agree and anyone who played a different tier will say that it's way more fun. Also when the x/y pokemon came in you could see how insane it was, aegislash sweeps was a daily thing even with like one set and legit every rapid spinner had to move down-1/2 of them because of aegislash. Overall it deserves the ban.

Just my thoughts:
Whenever most teambuilders are creating their team, they need to keep aegislash in mind in order to be able to handle it. I've read here that many pokemon must run moves specifically for aegislash. While this is centralizing, it doesn't seem to be too extreme. First of all, people have listed many pokemon that must run a specific move for aegislash; this means that aegislash has many checks. Second of all, these coverage moves, while not exactly necessary, could be used to hit other pokemon even harder.
Next thing about aegislash, its stats. It's true that it's quite bulky and powerful at the same time, but due to its low speed, it will almost always take damage before it can attack. This means it can't sweep effectively; even with its defenses, most super effective attacks will 2HKO it (sometimes even OHKO). At the same time, while its attack is high, it usually isn't enough to OHKO the opponent. Unless it can bring the opponent down to shadow sneak KO range, it will die. Aegislash is one of those things that I have not been able to use as effectively as wished for against teams with heavy offense. While my stall team has struggled with aegislash variants a lot, banning aegislash would increase the usage of other pokemon (such as mega gardevoir) that give my team just as much trouble.
Subtoxic aegislash can be easily countered by any steel type or taunt. Unlike deoxys-s or mega lucario, this kind of diversity does not present as much immediate threat and momentum.

I've been kind of on the fence on aegislash, but I'm leaning more towards not banning it.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 173-204 (40 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Amoonguss: 195-230 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
(That's an azum counter amoongus, too)
Foul Play OHKO in offense. Obviously subtoxic doesn't win... What are you going to do?
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 214-253 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 160-189 (37 - 43.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

With hazards or prior damage, and in conjunction with King's Shield, Swords Dance Aegislash can combine those two moves to KO Amoongus while avoiding heavy (or any) damage from Foul Play. Congratulations, you lost your counter and now have a +2 Atk Aegislash to deal with, because you were expecting a special set!

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gliscor: 199-234 (56.2 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
In WCS, coming in and nailed with this, it roosts next turn, continues doing so until Aegi leaves. You can threaten an EQ which OHKOs at any point. Non-life orb can't break to 2hko.
And what is Gliscor supposed to do against Air Balloon Aegislash? It looks like it's going to be a stallfest between the Toxic Orb Gliscor and Air Balloon Aegislash, but then the moment Shadowball's Spec Def drop happens or Roost runs out (Roost has 16 max pp, Shadowball has 24), Gliscor is dead or forced to switch out.

252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -1 252 HP / 252 SpD Gliscor: 207-244 (58.4 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

So no neither of those two are surefire counters to ALL of Aegislash's sets. They're checks, at best.

Would Aegislash be as dangerous if King's Shield didn't drop attack two stages, but everything else stayed the same? I'm not trying to derail anything or get into hypotheticals, I'm just trying to isolate the worst part of Aegi. Is it KS, typing, ability to go physical, special or mixed, or the pseudo-720 base stats? Its unquestionably a mix of those, but what's the worst?

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 214-253 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 160-189 (37 - 43.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

With hazards or prior damage, and in conjunction with King's Shield, Swords Dance Aegislash can combine those two moves to KO Amoongus while avoiding heavy (or any) damage from Foul Play. Congratulations, you lost your counter and now have a +2 Atk Aegislash to deal with, because you were expecting a special set!
Those calcs are BS. That assumes Aegi has a turn to set up SD and use SS to hit Amoong on the switch. The real way it goes is 1. See Aegis 2.Switch Amoong into SD 3. Take SSword or SSneak, OHKO in return with Foul Play (or Aegis switches out, which removes its boost and it showed its set anyway)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
And on 50/50s, Aegislash absolutely causes many and banning it removes a decent amount of the 50/50s that currently plague the tier. You're saying 'XY is 50/50s, that's how it is' while directly avoiding a route to help fix that.
This has been said a couple times before but I'll take a different angle on answering this one.

XY is 50/50s though. Predicting is an integral part of the game and it always has been as far as competitive Pokémon is concerned. You see it all the time in higher-ranked matches: Player A has an unboosted Mega Mawile in against Player B's Garchomp. Player A knows an Earthquake is coming so he goes to Talonflame but, surprise surprise, Player B knows that Mega Mawile isn't sticking around and sets up Stealth Rocks. However, Player A could also predict the Stealth Rock play and go for Play Rough instead, taking Garchomp out. It's a dodgy example (staying in on Garchomp with a Mawile would be a fucking ballsy play lol), but similar situations are very common in every level of competitive play. Sucker Punch mindgames fall under this category as well, as does King's Shield. But we knew all that anyway. My point is that I think that everyone is still thinking of the "50/50" as a hax-based concept that nobody has any control over, which is probably a holdover from the Swagplay era. The key difference here is that no luck is involved. A good player can navigate their way through any kind of binary prediction by drawing from different observations regarding the specific situation, how their opponent plays etc. - it all comes down to who predicts correctly. It's a big part of what makes competitive Pokémon competitive. 50/50s are not a plague on the metagame and they don't need to be fixed. If you want to play Pokémon without engaging in any sort of guesswork then play through the storyline imo :)

Pretty much anything else I have to add to the conversation has already been said by Ajwf and Arikado, among others.

((Do Not Ban btw))

While I'm still not sure what my vote is going to be, I can't understand why the pro-ban side keeps bringing up that Aegislash is causing many pokémon to use Eartquake and etc because of him. So what? Aegislash is an extremely common pokemon, it is natural that he will have an impact on other poke's movesets. For instance, Mega-Venu is causing pokémons such as Thundurus and Keldeo to run HP Flying, or pokémon such as Greninja and Manaphy to run psychic moves. Are people complaining about that? Of couse not. If either Aegislash or Mega-Venu was forcing any pokémon to use an obscure move, that could be a problem somewhat. This is not happening. They're just common pokémons on the meta and thus impact movesets. Of course, Aegislash impacts more, but that can be justified by the fact that he is more common. And as we all know, usage does not justify a ban.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This has been said a couple times before but I'll take a different angle on answering this one.

XY is 50/50s though. Predicting is an integral part of the game and it always has been as far as competitive Pokémon is concerned. You see it all the time in higher-ranked matches: Player A has an unboosted Mega Mawile in against Player B's Garchomp. Player A knows an Earthquake is coming so he goes to Talonflame but, surprise surprise, Player B knows that Mega Mawile isn't sticking around and sets up Stealth Rocks. However, Player A could also predict the Stealth Rock play and go for Play Rough instead, taking Garchomp out. It's a dodgy example, but similar situations are very common in every level of competitive play. Sucker Punch mindgames fall under this category as well, as does King's Shield. But we knew all that anyway. My point is that I think that everyone is still thinking of the "50/50" as a hax-based concept that nobody has any control over, which is probably a holdover from the Swagplay era. The key difference here is that no luck is involved. A good player can navigate their way through any kind of binary prediction by drawing from different observations regarding the specific situation, how their opponent plays etc. - it all comes down to who predicts correctly. It's a big part of what makes competitive Pokémon competitive. 50/50s are not a plague on the metagame and they don't need to be fixed. If you want to play Pokémon without engaging in any sort of guesswork then play through the storyline imo :)

Pretty much anything else I have to add to the conversation has already been said by Ajwf and Arikado, among others.

((Do Not Ban btw))
?_?

I'm not explaining it AGAIN, 50/50s have nothing to do with skill. XY doesn't have to be 50/50s. That's not healthy. BW, a tier loathed by many, wasn't literally comprised of 50/50s. Aegislash causes excessive 50/50s such that they detract the influence of skill on the game, which is detrimental.

This is complete hyperbole. No, you don't see the exact same teams copy/pasted everywhere. This is just a talking point commonly thrown around with no real basis. Some teams are similar, but that's simply because of the popularity of certain cores and threats. Preventing metagames from becoming "dull and repetitive" has never been the primary goal of our tiering system and banlists. The goal is to keep metagames balanced and competitive. Older generations like GSC and ADV have far fewer choices to pick from than modern metagames, and the standard sets and team archetypes have generally been pretty standard for a very long time (in other words, they get repetitive if you play them for a while). However, they are still considered to be some of the most competitive and enjoyable metagames out there because of the balance that they have.

Having enough variety to give players a decent range of viable choices is important, but too much of it is a bad thing. Let me explain to you what the problem with BW OU was. At the end of the generation, there were 50 Pokemon common enough to be considered OU. That's more than any generation before it and tied with current XY OU (and even then, a couple of the Pokemon in OU right now are only there because of Baton Pass, which was recently nerfed). At one point, I think I remember counting 55 OU Pokemon in BW OU, which is even more diverse. The presence of all four forms of permanent weather gave us not only the usual array of team styles ranging from hyper offense to stall, but also weather-based versions of many of these. Not to mention the rise of VoltTurn and the fact that annoying Baton Pass teams were at their best in BW now that they have been nerfed in XY. With regards to the number of playstyles available, BW was the single most diverse standard metagame outside of Ubers (and maybe even including Ubers) that we've ever had. Yet, most good players refer to it as the worst OU metagame in terms of competitiveness.

Here's the problem with too much diversity. More common Pokemon means more common threats. More common threats means more things that you have to try to keep in check, which in turn means more strain on teambuilding. When you've tons of common and viable Pokemon to keep in check, it becomes nearly impossible to build a team that can safely handle everything (this is especially a problem with defensive teams, which suffered a lot in BW OU). This makes team matchup even more of an issue since you'll sometimes just have to deal with the fact that you're weak to certain Pokemon, and you'll just have to bite the bullet if you come across a good player who uses that one particular Pokemon, core, or playstyle that you're weak to. Team matchup is a huge reason why BW OU was so bad. Assuming two players with equal skill, battles were often decided at team preview simply because one player's team would be weak to the opponent's playstyle or some particular Pokemon on their team, even though the player's team might be really solid against pretty much everything else. In fact, there used to be a little rock-paper-scissor pattern with some weather-based playstyles where one of these playstyles would generally win against another assuming both players had equal skill levels and both played well.

I'm not sure how you got from "too much diversity is a bad thing" to "diversity itself is bad," but no one is against a diverse metagame. What people are against is too much variety to the point where teambuilding becomes significantly more difficult and games becomes largely decided by which player's team matches up better against the other's. Too much diversity is a bad thing, and the fact that you want the metagame to be more exciting is a minor issue when compared to keeping a metagame balanced and competitive.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I do want to say something else that I didn't mention in the initial post I made because I know it goes against Smogon's philosophy and I didn't think it was going to change anything, but I have seen other people making this argument, so I may as well throw my hesitant support behind it.

Aegislash is, as my friend Don Honchkrorleone would say, "the condom of OU." It keeps so many things from being completely ridiculous. For example, without Aegislash, Offensive teams have nothing to switch into Azumarill besides Mega Venusaur, and obviously not every offensive team should run Mega Venusaur. Like, seriously I was building a team for the suspect ladder and realized my team was completely shat on by Azumarill and there was NOTHING I could do about it, so I just threw on Ferrothorn and called it a day (which doesn't even counter it without Aegislash as there is no reason for it to run Knock Off anymore, meaning Superpower is almost mandatory). That's just one example. Mega Gardevoir, Medicham, Thundurus, Greninja, all these Pokemon just got 1000000x harder for offensive teams to check because Aegislash was the only one making them manageable.

Now the obvious issue with this is that smogon has always thought that keeping broken things to check other broken things is not a healthy option for the meta, and that we should ban things until we reach a meta is desirable, regardless of how many bans that takes. I completely disagree with that idea, which is why I think that the above is the only real and solid argument for keeping Aegislash, and will be the reason I vote to keep it if I decide to do so. It's also why I was against the banning of Genesect. I thought it kept a lot of things in check.

Food for thought.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I totally agree and anyone who played a different tier will say that it's way more fun. Also when the x/y pokemon came in you could see how insane it was, aegislash sweeps was a daily thing even with like one set and legit every rapid spinner had to move down-1/2 of them because of aegislash. Overall it deserves the ban.
This post right here shows that you really don't have much knowledge of the meta. Let's start off with Gen 5 being more fun: okay, maybe you found a meta dominated by rain fun. Good for you. That doesn't mean anything when talking about gen 6, since it's completely different (not to mention that many people found Gen 5 to be stale but w/e)

When X/Y came out the meta was still in its baby stages. People used whatever they could to find out what was good and what wasn't. It's the reason why Keldeo and Latias were UU. Stance Dance is a bad moveset that shouldn't be used at all. Aegis doesn't sweep; he either wallbreaks, pivots, or slowly wears his would be counters down with Sub Toxic. The only exception is the WP Atotomize set, which isn't very common.

As for Rapid Spin, saying Aegis beats all of them is a croc of shit. Excadrill is in the top 5 for usage stats and is an excellent Pokémon in his own right. The only time he loses is when he's facing an Air Balloon aegis, which may or may not decline in usage. His teammate can break it quite easily and that aegis in particular hates switching into attacks for obvious reasons.

I'd Suggest you delve deeper into this topic rather than bandwagon because you may or may not have bad experiences with him. Bring up solid points that are backed up instead of this crap.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
The fact that Aegislash is over centralizing is just that: a fact. If you don't see that the tier is literally built around Aegislash then you're not playing OU. Every single Pokemon in the tier is forced to account for it, and it singlehandedly makes numerous Pokemon less viable or unviable. lol Talonflame and Chansey? What are those making significantly less viable/good. Nothing. Greninja is walled by Chansey. Does that make it less viable? Hell no. Pokemon like Keldeo and slightly weakened Mega Gyara can easily be RK'd by Talon. Impact on their viability? Almost negligible. And I can say that about so much in the tier -- only Aegislash has this effect.

You are hella downplaying its versatility. Fast LO is a lure set? It wrecks much of the defensive tier. SD is a lure set? Head Smash lures, sure, but that set is a sweeper/breaker and a damn good one at that. Just because a set is less common doesn't make it that much less good. 4 solidly viable sets. And that's not the extent of it. To list all the combinations Aegi can run would be insane...just one set:

Slow Tank
Item: Leftovers / Spooky Plate / Air Balloon
1) KS
2) Shadow Ball
3/4) Iron Head / Toxic / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword / Pursuit

SubToxic is obvious. Speedy has one changeable moveslot (for Pursuit) and a usual item (LO) that can be changed to bluff (Leftovers, Air Balloon). SD is SD / Shadow Sneak / Iron Head or Sacred Sword or Head Smash (pick 2). You can do more beyond this even like Toxzn ran HP Fire on LO Aegi in one WCOP match. There are so many things Aegislash can be running that it's ridiculous to say it's not very versatile.

I disagree. It's a gross exaggeration to say that "the tier is literally built around Aegislash." It checks the Latis, Gardevoir and fighting types like Heracross, Medicham and Terrakion but they need not run Earthquake or, in Medicham's case, Fire Punch if another team member like Bisharp or Chople berry Tyranitar can carry the responsibility to eliminate it. It's like saying that Mega Venusaur is over centralizing because Keldeo and Thundurus have to run HP Flying to hurt it except that Mega Venusaur isn't Pursuit weak. Yes, every pokemon in the tier has to account for it, the same goes for Thundurus and other good pokemon that are commonly used. And it's not all that unpredictable; two of it's moves are obvious: Kings Shield and Shadow Ball and you can easily scout for the other two without risking as much as you would against either of the Deoxys brothers. Sure, it motivates you to use pokemon like Specially Defensive Heatran, Specially Defensive Rotom and Mandibuzz but it's not like these things are only useful for one purpose which means that it's not over centralizing.

Last edited:
This is complete hyperbole. No, you don't see the exact same teams copy/pasted everywhere. This is just a talking point commonly thrown around with no real basis. Some teams are similar, but that's simply because of the popularity of certain cores and threats. Preventing metagames from becoming "dull and repetitive" has never been the primary goal of our tiering system and banlists. The goal is to keep metagames balanced and competitive. Older generations like GSC and ADV have far fewer choices to pick from than modern metagames, and the standard sets and team archetypes have generally been pretty standard for a very long time (in other words, they get repetitive if you play them for a while). However, they are still considered to be some of the most competitive and enjoyable metagames out there because of the balance that they have.

Having enough variety to give players a decent range of viable choices is important, but too much of it is a bad thing. Let me explain to you what the problem with BW OU was. At the end of the generation, there were 50 Pokemon common enough to be considered OU. That's more than any generation before it and tied with current XY OU (and even then, a couple of the Pokemon in OU right now are only there because of Baton Pass, which was recently nerfed). At one point, I think I remember counting 55 OU Pokemon in BW OU, which is even more diverse. The presence of all four forms of permanent weather gave us not only the usual array of team styles ranging from hyper offense to stall, but also weather-based versions of many of these. Not to mention the rise of VoltTurn and the fact that annoying Baton Pass teams were at their best in BW now that they have been nerfed in XY. With regards to the number of playstyles available, BW was the single most diverse standard metagame outside of Ubers (and maybe even including Ubers) that we've ever had. Yet, most good players refer to it as the worst OU metagame in terms of competitiveness.

Here's the problem with too much diversity. More common Pokemon means more common threats. More common threats means more things that you have to try to keep in check, which in turn means more strain on teambuilding. When you've tons of common and viable Pokemon to keep in check, it becomes nearly impossible to build a team that can safely handle everything (this is especially a problem with defensive teams, which suffered a lot in BW OU). This makes team matchup even more of an issue since you'll sometimes just have to deal with the fact that you're weak to certain Pokemon, and you'll just have to bite the bullet if you come across a good player who uses that one particular Pokemon, core, or playstyle that you're weak to. Team matchup is a huge reason why BW OU was so bad. Assuming two players with equal skill, battles were often decided at team preview simply because one player's team would be weak to the opponent's playstyle or some particular Pokemon on their team, even though the player's team might be really solid against pretty much everything else. In fact, there used to be a little rock-paper-scissor pattern with some weather-based playstyles where one of these playstyles would generally win against another assuming both players had equal skill levels and both played well.

I'm not sure how you got from "too much diversity is a bad thing" to "diversity itself is bad," but no one is against a diverse metagame. What people are against is too much variety to the point where teambuilding becomes significantly more difficult and games becomes largely decided by which player's team matches up better against the other's. Too much diversity is a bad thing, and the fact that you want the metagame to be more exciting is a minor issue when compared to keeping a metagame balanced and competitive.
I understand your point, I really do. Yet I have to say I disagree with you completely. I won't elaborate on it too much because I honestly don't feel like writing a huge statement at the moment, but I can say that while it is true that huge diversity leads to a lot of match-up dependent games, it also means that the game will never be stale, there will always be new things to try and creativity becomes a huge component. Which is something the current meta lacks. And in reality your statement reflects an extremely radical, farfetched scenario which is far from happening (though I personally would not mind it at all to be completely honest).

Regardless, removing Aegislash will not have such a huge impact when it comes to variety. There's no way.

A little bit more variety in the tier is something we should all agree on being GOOD.

I'm not explaining it AGAIN, 50/50s have nothing to do with skill. XY doesn't have to be 50/50s. That's not healthy. BW, a tier loathed by many, wasn't literally comprised of 50/50s. Aegislash causes excessive 50/50s such that they detract the influence of skill on the game, which is detrimental.
And I already explained why the situations Aegi creates arent 50/50s for the most part as there is a significant risk/reward component involved and that does have something to do with skill. There are situations here and there where its realy just guessing and yeah sometimes Aegi is involved here but thats the exception and not the rule.

Aegislash- When this Pokemon first came out, I Mega Charizard Y just to kill it in one shot. This things is truly annoying because it's just unpredictable.
Guessing whether it was Special, Physical and Mixed lead to switch outs and gave it many free turns to setup and weakness policy doesn't help at all for the Pokemon opposing it. King's Shield is annoying to things that could usually kill it like Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y, and the recoil of -2 attack screws the Pokemon that tried to attack it, giving it yet another free switch to setup, ultimately leading to sweeps. When it's sent out against a setup Pokemon without Whirlwind or Roar such as Forretress or Galvantula, it can just keep on boosting with swords dance until it reaches max attack and mow down your team. Even if it didn't kill them all, it would certainly be enough for your other 5 pokemon to finish the team off.
My Opinion. Ban it.

I will add that even in early XY OU and PokeBank, Aegislash presence alone helped it check even previously banned mons. Mega Khan, Mega Luke, Mega Gengar and Genesect were all either checked (Gene, most sets anyway) or were forced into 50/50's (tanked Khan's and Luke's respective EQ/Crunch/Dark Pulse and had King's Shield + Sacred Sword to retaliate. And yeah, that was the terribad KS/SD set from PokeBank lol.) Aegislash was also able to force 50/50's on Gar with Pursuit + Shadow Sneak and even Blaziken with KS. Its ease to, at worst, contend against some of the proven most broken shit ever with even a lackluster set is just fucking ridiculous. It's THAT good.

Every generation has its own meta-shaping Pokemon. Mons such as Scizor, TTar, Bisharp and Landorus are among past and present defining forces that have shaped the OU metagame, thereby, centralizing it at least somewhat. The difference with these mons' centralization is that they still have apparent weaknesses, not necessarily just viable checks and counters. The defining point of Aegislash's restriction on the meta is not that it makes rather than breaks the meta, but that it does so with virtually no drawbacks as a standalone mon. It's not a weak attacker, it doesn't have crippling weaknesses or stats, its not one-dimensional, and it requires no support.

Despite its ridiculous existence, it's prolly a more manageable threat than other banned mons. It also keeps a lot of other ridiculous things in check (See Halcyon's post a few above mine). Ultimately, I'm not sure how I will vote for this suspect.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I do want to say something else that I didn't mention in the initial post I made because I know it goes against Smogon's philosophy and I didn't think it was going to change anything, but I have seen other people making this argument, so I may as well throw my hesitant support behind it.

Aegislash is, as my friend Don Honchkrorleone would say, "the condom of OU." It keeps so many things from being completely ridiculous. For example, without Aegislash, Offensive teams have nothing to switch into Azumarill besides Mega Venusaur, and obviously not every offensive team should run Mega Venusaur. Like, seriously I was building a team for the suspect ladder and realized my team was completely shat on by Azumarill and there was NOTHING I could do about it, so I just threw on Ferrothorn and called it a day (which doesn't even counter it without Aegislash as there is no reason for it to run Knock Off anymore, meaning Superpower is almost mandatory). That's just one example. Mega Gardevoir, Medicham, Thundurus, Greninja, all these Pokemon just got 1000000x harder for offensive teams to check because Aegislash was the only one making them manageable.

Now the obvious issue with this is that smogon has always thought that keeping broken things to check other broken things is not a healthy option for the meta, and that we should ban things until we reach a meta is desirable, regardless of how many bans that takes. I completely disagree with that idea, which is why I think that the above is the only real and solid argument for keeping Aegislash, and will be the reason I vote to keep it if I decide to do so. It's also why I was against the banning of Genesect. I thought it kept a lot of things in check.

Food for thought.
While I disagree with your opinion on Genesect (but I won't elaborate since this isn't the place to do so) I agree with what you said about Aegislash and that "keep potentially broken stuff in check" is a legitimate argument.
Personally when I build a team I never do that around Aegislash, but rather I use it as a "glue" pokemon. If you look at the OU RMT threads, you'll notice that many of them follow this philosophy as well.
All the banned pokemon so far, on the other hand, had teams built around them. They were something like "Deoxys+5 sweepers" or "Mega Kanga+5 Mega Kanga supporters".
There is no such thing as an "Aegislash team".

?_?

You haven't explained it once.

Let's take your first post, your second paragraph just said your pathos driven opinion without any support or evidence.
I want to bring up one aspect of Aegislash that's entirely separate from brokenness, but paramount to why it should be banned imo.

50/50s

Pokemon is a game of chance, but XY OU is literally a tier of 50/50s, and it's so much because of Aegislash. King's Shield and the risk associated with staying in Sword stance or reverting to Shield stance exacerbate the amount of 50/50s on another level. Let's take Sub Kyurem-B. It comes in, goes for Sub on the attack and its Sub is broken. It can Sub on the KS and gain an advantage or EP on the attack and kill Aegi. Or Garchomp will SR vs Aegi and lose a crapload of its health for no cost or attack and bring it down to low health. Will Aegi Sacred Sword the Bisharp switch-in? Does Mega Mawile set up and lose a crapload of its health or does it attack and kill? Merely the presence of Aegislash forces 50/50s. Does Terrakion EQ the Aegislash switch or does it Stone Edge because Thundurus or Latios will come in? Not all of these are the best examples I'm sure but you get the point. I think a Pokemon that creates so many 50/50s tends to remove skill from the metagame and make it, for lack of a better word, "less fun".

50/50s are NOT skill-based. You're making a disconnect between good plays and a flat-out 50/50 where all you can do is guess. It's not even an educated guess, it is complete and utter guesswork.

If you're arguing against a ban due to collateral then your reasoning is fundamentally flawed. Keeping broken stuff to "tame" the meta doesn't really make sense. If it requires more bans afterwards, who honestly cares? We suspected for all of BW, and not once was a ban considered for collateral damage. Banning Genesect flipped the tier upside down in BW. This is irrelevant; the only factors relevant in a ban are the brokenness, unhealthyness, and/or uncompetitiveness of the testing subject.

People are downplaying Aegislash's versatility enormously. Please don't bring usage stats into this first of all. Aegislash has four good sets basically. The standard tank is one, where literally the only things guaranteed are Shadow Ball and King's Shield. Iron Head, Toxic, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Flash Cannon...even within variations on its standard set that DO NOT reduce its effectiveness against the majority of threats (think running Psychic > Focus Blast or HP Flying > HP Ice on Thundurus, or Sludge Wave/Rock Slide Lando) it can wreck its different counters. SubToxic turns the tables on Mandibuzz and is an enormously effective staller. Fast LO 4 attacks annihilates Mandibuzz as well, among things like Heatran non-full SDef Hippowdon Lando-T Chesnaught Bisharp etc. SD wrecks Amoon Mandi Heatran and is a dangerous as hell sweeper/breaker. All of these sets are extremely deadly and ridiculous to deal with. This is like Deo-S, except amplified five times. The fact is that when you see Aegislash, you have almost NO IDEA exactly what it's going to do is so different from anything else. I can see, say, Thundurus and immediately rule out a lot of things based on team comp alone. I can't do this with Aegislash; this makes its versatility even MORE of a concern, because it is so good that on many teams it can literally be running any of its sets. I know Deo-D is banned but let's just use this example. I look at a Deo-D team and Aegislash could be anything. Air Balloon? Maybe. What's the Air Balloon set running? Is it slower or is it faster? What moves is it running? Like what if it's SD instead of mixed? Or it ends up being Life Orb. Or the person wanted the defensive backbone/longevity for whatever and decided to run Lefties. So don't downplay Aegislash's versatility, it's absolutely an enormous factor.

On overcentralization: please name me one other Pokemon in the tier that is so prevalent that it forces every single Pokemon in the tier to account for it. Dragonite, Terrakion, Mega Pinsir, etc are all running EQ for one target - Aegislash. Damn Mega Gard is getting screwed by Aegislash, how worth it is it? To go to an extreme let's take Hawlucha. Obviously it has issues but you look at the tier and the first thing that pops to mind is Aegislash. How does this beat Aegislash? I guess it's not that good. Not ONE Pokemon in the tier other than Aegislash has this degree of influence. Diversity is not inherently good but Aegislash, as a Pokemon, places implicit limitations upon what's good and what isn't in OU. On the flip side, why is Bisharp so good? Obviously it has all these positive traits, but it is literally the only Pokemon able to Pursuit trap Aegislash -- albeit on a 50/50 and not even completely killing -- making it a million times better. Why is Dark Pulse Greninja even a thing? Just Aegislash, now that Deo-D is gone. I know this isn't really relevant to a ban at all, but thinking about what we'd have to do with OU Analyses after an Aegi ban...I can't even imagine how much would have to be changed. Aegi's impact and pull on the tier is just so large that XY OU is entirely different because of it. I can ban Mawile or Charizard or whatever, but none of these things will have that much of an impact. Even while the Deos which we just banned in the tier, they weren't ruling the roost - Aegislash was. Nothing compares to the overcentralization in OU around Aegislash.

There's a good reason most good players I have talked to are in favor of an Aegislash ban. It's literally the perfect Pokemon that limits teambuilding as it is so unpredictable and good at everything to the point where Aegislash IS the OU tier. This is unhealthy and makes it fully deserving of a ban.
Your first paragraph explained my point perfectly. There are dozens of situations where the pressure is completely on Aegislash. The Kyu B example in particular was one where the match up was yours to lose.

I personally would make a call to stop calling them 50/50 situations. It's not that simple. Any poke with EQ, non contact move that would KO, or Defiant can spam attacks without fear and all KS can do is buy 1 more turn. Status moves like WoW can be pretty safe too. And boosting moves can turn a bad match up like Azumarill vs Aegislash into a gg. It's not a coin flip where you guess what they'll do every turn. It's just the evolution of the game from a focus on team building and match ups to a skill based prediction fight, and I consider that a very good thing.

All the banned pokemon so far, on the other hand, had teams built around them. They were something like "Deoxys+5 sweepers" or "Mega Kanga+5 Mega Kanga supporters".
That would be because Aegislash requires no direct support. It doesn't have enough flaws that warrant necessary teammates to create an "Aegislash team." It's the ultimate c/p mon.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Aight, some "obligatory" pre-suspect test thoughts on aegislash:

Well this thing is p. gud, but i'm seeing the word "versatile" being thrown around a lot and being connected to aegislash, and I sorta wanna address that. Sure, it has a number of separate and viable sets, but does that necessarily mean its versatile? I like to think of it like this:
Think of all the possible viable moves aegislash can run:
Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Head Smash, Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Swords, King's Shield, Toxic, Substitute, Pursuit.
That covers just about everything aegislash does, and that's 11 different moves, and I'm being quite generous with Pursuit and Head Smash lol.

Ok.
Now, lets look at a pokemon that's ACTUALLY versatile, Mega Lucario

There were a few different moves Mega Lucario could've ran:
Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon, Vacuum Wave, Ice Punch, Crunch, Earthquake.
That's 10 different moves, and I ignored some really wacky sets like agility, work up, and god knows what else I've seen lower ladder lmao.

But you're thinking hey, aegislash runs more possible moves, what makes mega lucario more versatile?

Ultimately, no matter what aegislash runs, its checks are going to be very similar. Mandibuzz is a super strong check to ANY aegislash set (nothing counters aegislash), as is Chesnaught and Bisharp, etc, etc. The point is all sets have very similar switch-ins, whether the set was built to beat those switch-ins or not isn't as relevant. Even if they do, its more of a tiny variation rather than a totally different set.

But looking at mega lucario, its quite fucking different. Its not even about getting crippled or whatever; you make the wrong switch and you just lost a mon. That's all there is to it. Mega Lucario has wildly different safe switch-ins, and you're never really too safe until you find out the entire set!
There's even different variations OF variations! (Different coverage moves on SD OR NP, BOTH of which are perfectly viable). Now THAT is a truly versatile mon.

Aside from that, everything OP about aegislash (stats, typing, great STAB(s), etc) has already been covered and is self-explanatory.

TL; DR aegislash ain't that versatile.

While I disagree with your opinion on Genesect (but I won't elaborate since this isn't the place to do so) I agree with what you said about Aegislash and that "keep potentially broken stuff in check" is a legitimate argument.
Personally when I build a team I never do that around Aegislash, but rather I use it as a "glue" pokemon. If you look at the OU RMT threads, you'll notice that many of them follow this philosophy as well.
How is this a bad thing. This just means aegislash can fit into almost any team, and it can! If you need a team built around a mon for it to work, then that's a flaw.

I understand your point, I really do. Yet I have to say I disagree with you completely. I won't elaborate on it too much because I honestly don't feel like writing a huge statement at the moment, but I can say that while it is true that huge diversity leads to a lot of match-up dependent games, it also means that the game will never be stale, there will always be new things to try and creativity becomes a huge component. Which is something the current meta lacks. And in reality your statement reflects an extremely radical, farfetched scenario which is far from happening (though I personally would not mind it at all to be completely honest).

Regardless, removing Aegislash will not have such a huge impact when it comes to variety. There's no way.

A little bit more variety in the tier is something we should all agree on being GOOD.
A few points to make here before I have to go to work:

First, I'm not sure why you think that the current metagame is completely stale and void of creativity, because it isn't. Some new sets like SpD Gliscor and bulky stallbreaker Infernape have gained notoriety recently when they were unheard of a couple months ago or so, and a couple others like Celebi are receiving analyses now because people are starting to realize that they are a little better than previously thought.

Second, creating a metagame that is match-up dependent but never stale is not necessarily a good thing. Our goal is to create balanced competitive metagames where the player with the most skill will win the majority of the time, not metagames with battles decided largely at team preview as long as they aren't boring.

Third, my example isn't radical and farfetched at all, lol. I literally just described BW OU in a nutshell. 5th Gen was an era where the diversity in the metagame became too much of an issue, and you'd see that if you had played it from start to finish like I did.

Finally, removing Aegislash will certainly have an impact with regards to variety. You can't remove the best Pokemon in the metagame who has been around from day one and expect otherwise. People have been naming off several Pokemon such as Latios, Terrakion, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Heracross that would greatly benefit from Aegislash's removal. Maybe it won't singlehandedly cause the amount of variety to go over the edge, but if there's any one Pokemon that will truly impact the variety of the metagame with its removal, it's Aegislash.

That's about all I have to say on the matter, and I won't be back from work for 8 hours, so take from that what you will.

Last edited:

Food for thought.
This is what I was trying to say in my earlier post. Banning pokes isn't as simple as picking pokes from the top of S rank and suspecting them one by one. Because each poke holds down other ones from being viable. And Aegislash keeps a LOT of them in check. You have no idea if you'll even get to a decent meta in the end anyway (Once again, I point to Gen 5).

Early predictions for Aegi-less meta: Lati's dominate, Scizor, Greninja, Bisharp + Ttar rise in usage to compensate, Heatran rises in usage, M-Medicham and AV Conk get more usage. Fairy spam will become a team archetype in the next 2 months.

So far, I'm leaning even further towards supporting no ban. Aegislash isn't the hero OU deserves, but it's the one we need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)