Metagame Gen VI NU New/Creative/Underrated Movesets

Status
Not open for further replies.
and now for something fun and actually useful...

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Waterfall / Aqua Jet
- Poison Jab

THE LURE IS HERE.
Qwilfish usually lures Bulky Water and Grass Types (think Seismitoad and Vileplume) who can most of the time come in and take Waterfalls or kill it while it sets up Spikes. This set aims to lure and kill them with a powerful Explosion to open a wave to Feraligatr and other Water Type Pokemon to sweep.
Adamant vs Jolly is preference mostly but i prefer Waterfall to Aqua Jet as i really like the flinch chance but Aqua Jet is strong after a boost thanks to Life Orb and its decent Attack Stat. I want to specify this should be used ONLY with Feraligatr and sweepers that appreciate Vileplume, Seismitoad, and Bulky water and Grass types gone as it can't sweep by itself.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 500-589 (141.2 - 166.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 539-636 (130.1 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 273-322 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 482-568 (144.3 - 170%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 331-390 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Exeggutor: 484-569 (122.8 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 390-460 (101.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 448-529 (138.2 - 163.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 216-255 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Qwilfish Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 434-512 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
A lot of those spreads aren't even common but for them consider as the worst case scenario
Confirming that this is an awesome set. I made mine a little bit different though, and used Leftovers and Spikes over Life Orb and Poison Jab. It can get its Explosion KOs without the Life Orb boost, and Leftovers with Spikes help bluff the defensive set early game (and just generally help a bit if you don't particularly need to explode). Will try your more offensive version too though :)

Just going to repost the physically Defensive Dragalge set I posted in the np thread because I don't think I've seen it used anywhere else and it's not in Dragalge's moveset usage.
I've been loving my physically defensive Dragalgae. With fully invested defense, it has great mixed bulk and is pretty much guaranteed to set up a couple toxic spikes each round. The attacks it survives are pretty crazy. More useful than Assault Vest IMO for now.
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Tail
Some calcs: (note: this is just testing Dragalge's bulk; you should obviously be taking more reasonable hits and only tanking these if necessary)
252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 270-318 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
180+ SpA Xatu Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 204-242 (61 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
180+ SpA Xatu Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 168-200 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 146-173 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 156-185 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 180-212 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Regirock Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 276-326 (82.6 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Granbull Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragalge: 176-208 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Today, I have for you a simplistic spread for Arbok

Arbok @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
-Coil
-Earthquake
-Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
-Rest

Before, Arbok didn't have a strong support of recovery besides the black sludge, but with the combo of Rest and Shed Skin Arbok can heal up completely and be ready to move in no time. With coil to buff up its defense, not to mention attack and accuracy. The reason I made Poison Jab even an option was to not have to mess with the faulty accuracy of Gunk Shot if you are trying to get a good revenge KO.

Party and bullshit (Granbull) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Rest
- Play Rough
- Counter

This is a physically defensive Granbull that takes hit from fighting pokemon like Gurdurr before dishing it out damage back at it with Play Rough. counter is for pokemon that resists Play Rough and heal bell is for my other team mates that deseparelty needed a heal beller. I know Granbull is not an ideal heal beller, but oh well.

-Coil
-Earthquake
-Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
-Rest

Before, Arbok didn't have a strong support of recovery besides the black sludge, but with the combo of Rest and Shed Skin Arbok can heal up completely and be ready to move in no time. With coil to buff up its defense, not to mention attack and accuracy. The reason I made Poison Jab even an option was to not have to mess with the faulty accuracy of Gunk Shot if you are trying to get a good revenge KO.
I would use Sucker Punch over Rest, arkbok will have ample time to wake up between gen 6's sleep nerf and shed skin

-Coil
-Earthquake
-Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
-Rest

On such an offensive set Intimidate is by far the best ability so you can drop test to use Sucker Punch. Also Gunk Shot is a must

-Coil
-Earthquake
-Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
-Rest

I've been using something similar. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with an Adamant nature. My moveset is Coil / Gunk / SP / Rest. Functions as a late game sweeper, so bring shit to get rid of whatever counters it and sweep late game. Thanks to coil all you have to worry about is special attackers, rest off damage and burn/para and shed skin prevents status from afflicting you (for the most part).

K i went through this and think I deleted most of the really bad sets. It's important to remember that this is for competitive sets, so you use want to post a moveset here, make sure you ask yourself
  • "In what situations is my moveset useful?"
  • "Is there another Pokemon that can do this job better"
  • "Is this role a role worth filling?"?
So, you may have found a cool Beedrill moveset, but that doesn't make Beedrill viable. (if someone finds a real, useful niche for Beedrill, I'll delete this and reward you somehow.)

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 164 Atk / 116 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

this is genius. Hard walls Tangela,takes <25% from Vileplume ,Sludge Bomb,and turn Weezing into setup fodder by having enough speed creep to outspeed it. Oh and it also block stupid stuff like Sleep Powder and turning that into a free *1.5 attack. Try it out!

Steelix meets caffeine

Steelix @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 88 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge / Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball

What's the point of adding Safety Goggles? You may ask, and the reality is that I just really really hate Vivillon, so with this item Sleep powder WILL fail every time and you'll get a free turn to set up rocks, OHKO it back with Rock Blast (Ignoring sash) or do whatever you want.
Also I used this EV's to take care of the cake thingy destroying NU Slurpuff which is a popular threat at the moment.
Calcs:
Belly Drum variant
+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Steelix: 109-129 (30.8 - 36.5%) -- 90.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 164 SpD Steelix: 116-138 (32.8 - 39%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 258-306 (84.3 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Calm Mind variant
0 SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 160 SpD Steelix: 130-154 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Max SpD with leftovers is able to not get 2HKO'd by Slurpuff with +1 Flamethrower, but there's no fun in that.
+1 0 SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 160 SpD Steelix: 194-230 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 0 SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 160 SpD Steelix: 260-306 (73.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Better Roar at this point lol
8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slurpuff: 182-216 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Why Heavy Slam? Since Slurpuff is able to activate it's item at will (Chesto/Sitrus berry) you won't be able to KO it with Gyro Ball since unburden won't be active. Also most of the meta is slow and light anyways (in contrast to Ubers), not to mention that Gyro has less PP.
Here is more math:
8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 258-306 (84.3 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (104 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 224-266 (73.2 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 324-384 (105.8 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 324-384 (111.3 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 404-476 (138.8 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Armaldo: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (54 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Armaldo: 102-122 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

-1 8 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 192-228 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 8 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (54 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 86-104 (22.3 - 27%) -- 0.3% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Replays? http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141789059

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

bird hype (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Endeavor

Some of you may recognize this set from one of my RMTs. This Archeops set is essentially a dedicated suicide-esque lead. A combination of using Taunt to force attacking moves on Archeops, minimum HP, and Endeavor, is a deadly combination that has the potential to swiftly take down such attacking support pokemon as Seismitoad, Lanturn, Probopass, etc. This set works well in tandem with Zangoose or Swellow, since they can use priority to take down anything that's already been brought down to 1 HP by Archeops. However, this set fears things like multi hit moves (e.g. Rock Blast from Rhydon/Crustle), Scald + burn hax, and priority users like Feraligatr that can use a supereffective Aqua Jet.
pls no stealerino w/o keeping the nickname

bird hype (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Endeavor

Some of you may recognize this set from one of my RMTs. This Archeops set is essentially a dedicated suicide-esque lead. A combination of using Taunt to force attacking moves on Archeops, minimum HP, and Endeavor, is a deadly combination that has the potential to swiftly take down such attacking support pokemon as Seismitoad, Lanturn, Probopass, etc. This set works well in tandem with Zangoose or Swellow, since they can use priority to take down anything that's already been brought down to 1 HP by Archeops. However, this set fears things like multi hit moves (e.g. Rock Blast from Rhydon/Crustle), Scald + burn hax, and priority users like Feraligatr that can use a supereffective Aqua Jet.
pls no stealerino w/o keeping the nickname
Head smash is more useful than knock off because it makes it so you kill yourself when you're at low health, preventing the opponent from spinning.

Been using the following set recently.

#ABSURDLYLARGEPICTURECAUSEICAN
Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off / Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Substitute

Subpunch Hariyama is cool because it forces stuff like Cryogonal out for a free substitute, and proceeds to wreck shop. Unlike other subpunchers, it has an amazing 144 HP stat, allowing it to easily have its sub go unbroken as it fires of 150 base power STAB attacks. Knock Off and Ice Punch are chosen as obvious coverage, and coming off 120 base attack pack a big punch. Bullet Punch is surprisingly ok off of Non-Stab and does some decent damage, and can help to nullify SlurPuff a bit if need be. Finally, Substitute is the crux of the set. This is amazing as people will try to switch out immediatly to stuff like Plume or Uxie and give you a free sub, letting you potentially cripple them. Focus Punch is stupid strong.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Head smash is more useful than knock off because it makes it so you kill yourself when you're at low health, preventing the opponent from spinning.
Head Smash, with 80 accuracy, isn't exactly as reliable as a combo with a priority user is. Quick Attack can also be used on Archeops, however.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 96 Atk / 188 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Bulkiest setup sweeper in NU. 300 Sp.Def,93 HP Substitutes,it also outspeeds Weezing kind of like TyraniBoah! It hard walls Grass types,except Shiftry.Amazing setup sweeper. Switchin on Vileplume/Grass attack,even Sleep Powder substitute and profit! check these replays:-

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141868123

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141834200

APOCALYPSE (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch / Knock Off / Bulk Up

No one expects anyone to use any Gurdurr set besides the most common, Guts + Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Knock Off, Bulk Up variant. I've used this set with great success on the ladder because its a huge surprise factor and because of Iron Fist's lovely boost to all of Gurdurrs punch based moves. I can guarantee that no one will attempt to use any status moves that induce ailments because of the risk of activating Guts. Too bad this isn't guts and they are about to get fucked. This moveset is best used with a Pokemon that can use Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, or pass Healing Wishes. Just incase Gurdurr gets burned. This set is able to beat two of Gurdurrs most common checks and counters. Dragalge and Vileplume are both outsped and 2HKO'd by Ice Punch. It can also smash bulky Water-type Pokemon and relieve its Grass-type teammates of some of that responsibility. Notable Water-type threats are Feraligtr and Qwilfish. Both are easily smashed by Gurdurr, thanks to its ability to take any hits they may dish because of its glorious bulk. The last moveslot is a bit cluttered because all of those options are equally viable. You could use Bulk Up to masquerade as the common Guts variant, or use Knock Off to smack around Ghost- and Psychic-types and smack off items.

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

I've been using offensive Vileplume for ages now, and far prefer it to the physically defensive defensive variant most people use. Before the drop of Slurpuff i ran Sleep Powder or Aromatherapy over HP Fire, but now Ferroseed is really starting to gain popularity to counter it, as are offensive Steel-types in Klinklang and Steelix. They are very quick to switch in on Vileplume, only to get completely obliterated by HP Fire (252/0 Ferroseed is OHKOd after one layer of Spikes or two Stealth Rock switch ins). This obviously makes Slurpuff a fantastic partner, but Klinklang also appreciates the removal of Ferroseed. This Vileplume is also a hard counter to its more defensive cousin, as Sludge Bomb far outdamages the opponents'. It also remains a useful counter to Gurdurr, special Sceptile, and many other Pokemon, but hits back far harder than the defensive variant. To Feraligatr looking to tank a Giga Drain from this Vileplume and set up a Swords Dance to kill with Ice Punch, they can guess again, as this Vileplume does a minimum of 98% to 252 HP Feraligatr, an easy kill. HP EVs give a LO number.

Some other cool stuff that are fun to use are Jolly 180 Speed Feraligatr (outspeeds max neutral Shiftry, and OHKOs with +2 Ice Punch, or Frustration after a round of LO recoil). Antilead Vivillon is also pretty cool, it's like the standard Quiver Dancer except with Sash and Stun Spore over a coverage move. Mostly people lead with their hazard setters, which Vivillon can easily put to sleep. Stun Spore again on the switch, and then just spam Hurricane (parafusion ehehehe). Grass-tyes immune to spore moves obviously aren't an issue due to Hurricane. U-Turn is used over Quiver Dance because you can easily gain momentum with Viv's disruptive moves (and if you want to be a goofball 20 Atk EVs kill Shiftry with U-Turn after Stealth Rock). This quickly sets the pace for an offensive team.

EDIT: have also been enjoying Jolly Band Torterra with Bullet Seed, Wood Hammer, EQ and Stone Edge. It's an awesome anti lead, as Bullet Seed snipes through Golem and Omastar (Oma has 55 Speed to Torterra's 56), while Wood Hammer breaks Rhydon.

Last edited:
Kecleon@assault vest
Ability:Protean
EVs: 252 HP/252 spdef/4 atk
Moves:
-sucker punch
-shadow sneak
-fake out/return
-return/ice punch/thunderpunch/fire punch/iron tail

NU meet defensive Greninja. Watch as your opponent switches in sawk for an easy kill and you deny his futile attempts with shadow sneak. Jokes aside this set works because so many people underestimate this things special bulk and it acts as an efficient multi purpose check to many pokemon.

Kecl

eon@assault vest
Ability:Protean
EVs: 252 HP/252 spdef/4 atk
Moves:
-sucker punch
-shadow sneak
-fake out/return
-return/ice punch/thunderpunch/fire punch/iron tail

NU meet defensive Greninja. Watch as your opponent switches in sawk for an easy kill and you deny his futile attempts with shadow sneak. Jokes aside this set works because so many people underestimate this things special bulk and it acts as an efficient multi purpose check to many pokemon.
EDIT: Needs power-up punch in the last slot to improve its offense. Then you can sucker punch a predicted psychic attack.

Last edited:

Probopass @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock / Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So lately Ferroseed has been rising in usage. This thing traps it and kills it. Pretty simple. You can also run earth power to hurt Klinklang and Steelix. Air Balloon allows you to not be EQ'd by Steelix. Pair this Probopass with things like Gatr and Slurpuff and win. Be warned though that HP Fire really only hits Ferroseed harder, but if you want gatr to sweep you'll run this.

Edit: Calcs.

You can 2HKO Steelix before it pops your air balloon and EQs you.
252+ SpA Probopass Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Steelix: 214-252 (60.4 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Probopass Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 152-180 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
I literally just thought this up right now but this could be interesting:

Kricketune @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 ATK / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
-Fell Stinger
-Bug Bite/Power-Up Punch
-Aerial Ace
-Sticky Web

Possibly Choice Band as an item instead, but basically use Technician boosted STAB Fell Stinger to kill Pokemon and get the sharp Attack raise. Bug Bite for a stronger move or PUP for a similar effect to Fell Stinger and more coverage, Aerial Ace for coverage and the Technician boost, and Sticky Web as a support move to make sure nothing outspeeds 'Tune, as it is ridiculously frail.

Basic idea of this was to utilize Technician boosted Fell Stinger and its secondary effect, the rest of this set was just off the top of my head so feel free to pick it apart.
Kricketune is stupidly slow and has little coverage, and will almost always be beaten first turn since it will hit second and always be killed in a single hit. As a result, the best and honestly only set it can run is:

Kricketune @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off / X-Scissor
- Endeavor
- Taunt
- Sticky Web

Your set is simply bad, since it doesn't work in practice due to Kricketune's lack of speed or bulk, and you do not take advantage of Kricketune's most important niches. Kricketune stands out as a Sticky Web user because of Taunt to cripple opposing hazards setters, Endeavor to weaken a pokemon after sash range, and a potential Knock Off to cripple switch ins.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Whenever an offensive Xatu is used, it basically has to watch out for Spiritomb or get itself fucked over by Pursuit. Defensive Xatus may be able to bypass it, but what if you want to keep offensive Xatu and still have it survive against Tomb?

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain / Heat Wave
- Feather Dance
- Roost

Reflect does not work against Spiritomb's Infiltrator, but Xatu does have something which is equally effective. Feather Dance allows Xatu to turn the tables on Spiritomb, which not only bypasses Sucker Punch but also shrugs off its attempts to Pursuit Xatu. Then Xatu can pummel Tomb with LO boosted attacks and keep itself healthy with Roost. Feather Dance also slightly lessens Xatu's need to run 2 coverage moves. Heat Wave targets such as Steelix and Ferroseed cannot really touch Xatu after Feather Dance, so there is little need to quickly KO them, while Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Rhydon can still hurt Xatu a fair bit, meaning Giga Drain is better for Feather Dance Xatu than Heat Wave is. That said, Heat Wave Xatu is harder to wall since Psychic + Fire coverage is better, and allows Xatu to play mindgames with Shiftry, who will be very hesitant to Sucker Punch Xatu if Feather Dance had been revealed beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)