XY OU The ripped fairy feat. Friends (NEED HELP)

Hello again smogon ! Today, I'll need your good will and knowledge to help me on using one of my favorite pokemons, the Arnold Schwarzenegger of the fairies: Mega-Mawile !
Its one of my few teams without a theme, like weather or monotype, so advice will be much appreciated. I'm aware there must be plenty of mistakes, don't be shy to RMT, even the silliest thing. This is a non-legend team. Yea, I know this dificult things a little bit.

The team:

Inside the fairy gym:

Six-Pack @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head Brick Break
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Mega-Mawile is pretty straight-foward. Being the biggest raw attack in the game plus having decent bulk and good defensive typing makes it easy to pull off one or two SD. Intimidate gives mawile switch-in chances against physical non-supereffective attacks without getting hurt.Play Rough is the STABs of choice while sucker punch remedies her lack of speed. Brick Break over Iron Head trades an "useless" covarage (most fairies can be killed with Play Roughs) for the chance of heavy damaging skarmory and heatran. Steel typing also protects mawile from Ttar sandstorm, that at the same time gives residual damage to ensure the 0HK0. The EVs are so it can outspeed common-spreaded aegislash and T-tars (thanks to aim and ChaosKi !)

Kowalski @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Duuuuuuude, how I wished for Defiant to raise Sp.Atk. Empoleon's stats and unique typing gives him a great bulk overrall, plus enjoying a sandstorm. The EVs are kinda messed up for mixed defenses. Empoleon can Stealth Rock, deliver burns, Defog and kill pesky gliscors. Resisting to 10 types while setting up stones (Which are important to ensure Mawile's 0HK0s) gives Empoleon a special place with the guys. Empoleon also forms an steel/fairy/dragon core with clefable and flygon. Leftovers let him to keep on low HP without dying more ofter, enjoying Torrent, tho Sub-Petaya is never old enough.

Gojira @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar was, is and probaly will ever be a monster. Assault Vest Ttar makes him impressively hard to take down. Big part of my team enjoy his ability to sponge special attacks while setting up a sandstorm. Crunch/Stone Edge are main STABs while Pursuit destroy defoggers (aka lati twins) and a lot of stuff in general (Few pokemons walk in a tyranitar without switching). Fire Blast gets steel-types with their pants down. I like using him as lead since tyranitar can have a lot of set variants and the opponent never knows exactly what to do.

Ying @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split / Disable
- Substitute

Lets start thinking about protecting our friends here. Neither Tyranitar, Empoleon or Mawile enjoys earthquakes. Tyranitar hates fighting attacks that Gengar absorbs and Gengar send psychic and dark attacks back to him. Gengar defensive ability and typing is what saves many pokemons from dying a lot of times, unfortunately he die to almost all strong neutral damage attack. Black Sludge is almost a must, supporting the subs and helping it to deal with sandstorm. Pain Split helps dealing a last resort big damage on full HP pokemons when Gengar is about to die, but Sub + Disable is an awesome combo too.

Flyboom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly / Adamant Nature
-U-Turn
-Outrage
-Superpower
-Earthquake

Flygon, another of my favorites. Flygon provides me fast scouting, plus another Levitate to dogde earthquakes and a bonus imunity to eletric-attacks (Volt-Swiches in general). Outrage and Earthquake are the STABs used to kill weakened pokemons, while U-turn keeps the momentum and Superpower surprise many foes, like Ferrothorn. Choice Scarf remedies Flygon's not-great speed, ensuring outspeeds with a Jolly nature.

Yang @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable has so many variants. I was running unaware against setup and batton pass pokemons but Magic Guard felt better with a sandstormer in the team, plus, Clefable here can absorb burns that otherwise would break Mawile. I tried to make a balance of offense and defense here, using a no-con life orb and defensive status. Fairy is a great defensive typing and isn't hard to Cosmic Power two or three times. A big Stored Power breaks everything that isn't a Dark pokemon, which Moonblast kills. Soft-Boiled is a reliable recovery, expecially when you are pumping up defenses.

Last edited:
Small notes on the team because I'm on my phone:

Mawile should run 96 Speed EVs so that it outspeeds walls who can burn it as well as T-Tar and Aegi with 4 Speed EVs. And perhaps Fire Fang or Brick Break to deal with Counters. SkarmChansey seems to wall this team pretty hard and Mawile needs to be able to break Skarm so that you have a better chance of winning.

If you put will-o-wisp on genear you can change Clefable to Calm mind (Over Cosmic Power) Leftovers (as opposed to Life Orb) stored power set which I believe is the better version of the stored power sets as it allows it to power through more pokemon. Clefable should be Physically bulky enough to take most Neutral huts that come it's way and can proceed to wreck with calm mind boosted stored powers.

Flygon seems sort of out of place with the team as a whole and I believe that there are better scouts that you can use, though none with the same benefit that Flygon has with resisting all hazards, what you do with that is up to you.

GL & HF

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey Daniel OM cool team! I like the idea of empoleon as it is a pretty awesome greninja check. It's a bit weak to aegislash though as you have no safe switch in to sacred sword plus shadow ball. I would suggest running this spread on your mega mawile that way you can outspeed 0 speed aegislash and better help you check it.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Flygon is pretty cool but that leaves your team very weak to Landorus-I as well as specs keldeo. To fix this i'd suggest lifeorb 3 attacks Latias with hp fire. This helps with the keldeo and landorus-i weakness and also helps scizor not set up on most of your members. This spread lets you take two choice specs secret swords after rocks.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

My last suggestion would be running a gliscor over clefable as a physical wall. I know the team is based on fairies but having clefable, mawile and empoleon make you extremely weak to sand rush excadrill. Mega Mawile and Empoleon already stop the dragons and plus this gives you a solid status absorber with poison heal and makes you less susceptible to bisharp. It becomes a solid ground type in flygons place. Taunt + Toxic also helps you shut down opposing stall.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Anyway that's all i've got for you. Hope i helped! :]

Last edited:
I would run Fire Fang or Brick Break instead of Iron Head. Sure, Iron Head hurts fairy types, but there isn't a fairy type in the metagame that you can't kill in more than 2 hits with play rough. Therefore, you're better off using fire fang or brick break for coverage. Most people run fire fang over brick break to get skarmory down to sturdy range/OHKO after rocks and to OHKO ferrothorn, but I prefer brick break because of one thing: heatran. Heatran is one of the biggest threats to mega mawile because it can will-o-wisp, bypassing sucker punch, and proceed to lava plume. Therefore, you can predict a heatran switch and brick break it, break the air balloon, and get it down low. Unfortunately mega mawile isn't fast enough to outspeed heatran unless you run 220 speed EVs, which I don't recommend. It's just handy for KOing an already weakened heatran that thinks it can wall you.

Here are some calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 294-348 (76.1 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 184-218 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (152.3 - 179.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 177-209 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

yeah, brick break is kinda weak on skarmory, but it doesn't really matter if it's at full health, since sturdy guarantees survival against a fire fang. But it is a viable move, and you gain the element of surprise.

Hey Daniel OM cool team! I like the idea of empoleon as it is a pretty awesome greninja check. It's a bit weak to aegislash though as you have no safe switch in to sacred sword plus shadow ball. I would suggest running this spread on your mega mawile that way you can outspeed 0 speed aegislash and better help you check it.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Flygon is pretty cool but that leaves your team very weak to Landorus-I as well as specs keldeo. To fix this i'd suggest lifeorb 3 attacks Latias with hp fire. This helps with the keldeo and landorus-i weakness and also helps scizor not set up on most of your members. This spread lets you take two choice specs secret swords after rocks.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

My last suggestion would be running a gliscor over clefable as a physical wall. I know the team is based on fairies but having clefable, mawile and empoleon make you extremely weak to sand rush excadrill. Mega Mawile and Empoleon already stop the dragons and plus this gives you a solid status absorber with poison heal and makes you less susceptible to bisharp. It becomes a solid ground type in flygons place. Taunt + Toxic also helps you shut down opposing stall.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Anyway that's all i've got for you. Hope i helped! :]
Hey aim ! Thank you for the big feedback, I will use this spread on mmawile. About flygon, I aggree he is ATM the weak link in the team. LO Lati would work great, but I forgot to say in the thread that this team is a non legendary one, like my others. ( Ill edit it later, including the changes) Do you have another advices or poke to substitute flygon?
As for gliscor, I found it an amazing idea! Ill test it, since he covers clefable's place and keeps eletric and EQ immunity that flygon provided. Ill reply with edit and a bigger feedback later!

I would run Fire Fang or Brick Break instead of Iron Head. Sure, Iron Head hurts fairy types, but there isn't a fairy type in the metagame that you can't kill in more than 2 hits with play rough. Therefore, you're better off using fire fang or brick break for coverage. Most people run fire fang over brick break to get skarmory down to sturdy range/OHKO after rocks and to OHKO ferrothorn, but I prefer brick break because of one thing: heatran. Heatran is one of the biggest threats to mega mawile because it can will-o-wisp, bypassing sucker punch, and proceed to lava plume. Therefore, you can predict a heatran switch and brick break it, break the air balloon, and get it down low. Unfortunately mega mawile isn't fast enough to outspeed heatran unless you run 220 speed EVs, which I don't recommend. It's just handy for KOing an already weakened heatran that thinks it can wall you.

Here are some calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 294-348 (76.1 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 184-218 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (152.3 - 179.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 177-209 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

yeah, brick break is kinda weak on skarmory, but it doesn't really matter if it's at full health, since sturdy guarantees survival against a fire fang. But it is a viable move, and you gain the element of surprise.
Hello, Thirdbird and thank you for the calcs! You re right, most fairies are especial sponges rather than physicals, expecially when it comes from a mega mawile. Ill test Brock break and reply with info. Ty!

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Brick Break getting a 2HKO on Skarmory really isn't bad since it means you can cover Heatran, too.

so you're not wanting to use legendaries specifically? Azumarill or Garchomp might make a decent partner. I'm at a loss for what else to offer you in ways of checking Keldeo because if you're going to be unaccepting of "legendaries" then there's not a shitton of options left. Latios/Latias are common checks and can do your team wonders; Azumarill is a decent counter to Landorus-I if it isn't switched in on Intimidate, and Chomp could check Keldeo unless it has Icy Wind. Your options are limited.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey aim ! Thank you for the big feedback, I will use this spread on mmawile. About flygon, I aggree he is ATM the weak link in the team. LO Lati would work great, but I forgot to say in the thread that this team is a non legendary one, like my others. ( Ill edit it later, including the changes) Do you have another advices or poke to substitute flygon?
As for gliscor, I found it an amazing idea! Ill test it, since he covers clefable's place and keeps eletric and EQ immunity that flygon provided. Ill reply with edit and a bigger feedback later!
Ah that's a tough one wanting no legends. I'd also suggest assault vest azumarill but that leaves your team weaker to mega venusaur. I believe gourgeist is a decent enough pokemon that can wall Landorus-i as well as keldeo and it has leech seed for recovery + it can burn mega venusaur. It's hella tough removing latias but this should suffice. With those evs you are never 2 hit k0'd by Landorus-I psychic and keldeos specs hydropump. Hope this helps!

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Brick Break getting a 2HKO on Skarmory really isn't bad since it means you can cover Heatran, too.

so you're not wanting to use legendaries specifically? Azumarill or Garchomp might make a decent partner. I'm at a loss for what else to offer you in ways of checking Keldeo because if you're going to be unaccepting of "legendaries" then there's not a shitton of options left. Latios/Latias are common checks and can do your team wonders; Azumarill is a decent counter to Landorus-I if it isn't switched in on Intimidate, and Chomp could check Keldeo unless it has Icy Wind. Your options are limited.
Ah that's a tough one wanting no legends. I'd also suggest assault vest azumarill but that leaves your team weaker to mega venusaur. I believe gourgeist is a decent enough pokemon that can wall Landorus-i as well as keldeo and it has leech seed for recovery + it can burn mega venusaur. It's hella tough removing latias but this should suffice. With those evs you are never 2 hit k0'd by Landorus-I psychic and keldeos specs hydropump. Hope this helps!

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Grass Knot
- Protect
I know using no legends in OU cripples me in some ways. I still belive that people can survive OU without legend pokes. However Im not judging the use of them, they're great! It is just a personal thing, since my first pokemon game (yellow) I never used legends. XY is my first competitive try at pokemon, but I still can't just feel confortable playing a team with a legendary.

Azumarill stacks fairy and water typing in the team, while Garchomp stack ground, considering I might change Clefable for Gliscor. (But Garchomp can benefit from Sandstorm). Gourgeist is a creative idea, but it stacks ghost-typing with gengar. All of them will bring me benefits but also more opening to some attacks.

What about Assault Vest Sap Sipper Goodra? It gives me grass immunity, resist keldeo's hydro pump and can't (probably, need calcs on here) be 0HK0 and Ice Beam landorus back.

As I said, I know using no legends makes everything harder, but in teams like this the most creative advices appears (aim loved the gourgeist idea. I'm even thinking in dropping gengar, since is niche here was being immune to fighting and levitate earthquakes to protect tyranitar, mostly. Gourgeist is immune to fighting and Gliscor to EQ.)

And one question: If I switch Gliscor in a WoW and he gets the burn, will toxic orb still procs over the burn? If not, he isn't (at least in this way) effective as a stat absorver as Clefable.

aim

pokeaimMD
And one question: If I switch Gliscor in a WoW and he gets the burn, will toxic orb still procs over the burn? If not, he isn't (at least in this way) effective as a stat absorver as Clefable.
Nah, toxic orb has to activate first, but generally you aren't switching Gliscor into WoW mons.

Small notes on the team because I'm on my phone:

Mawile should run 96 Speed EVs so that it outspeeds walls who can burn it as well as T-Tar and Aegi with 4 Speed EVs. And perhaps Fire Fang or Brick Break to deal with Counters. SkarmChansey seems to wall this team pretty hard and Mawile needs to be able to break Skarm so that you have a better chance of winning.

If you put will-o-wisp on genear you can change Clefable to Calm mind (Over Cosmic Power) Leftovers (as opposed to Life Orb) stored power set which I believe is the better version of the stored power sets as it allows it to power through more pokemon. Clefable should be Physically bulky enough to take most Neutral huts that come it's way and can proceed to wreck with calm mind boosted stored powers.

Flygon seems sort of out of place with the team as a whole and I believe that there are better scouts that you can use, though none with the same benefit that Flygon has with resisting all hazards, what you do with that is up to you.

GL & HF
Thanks for the feedback ChaosKi ! I'll consider calm mind clefary, as it surely packs bigger punch than cosmic power one. At the moment i'm considering gliscor over clefable, so there is a chance that she even make it to the team. The Mawile EVs are edited.

Nah, toxic orb has to activate first, but generally you aren't switching Gliscor into WoW mons.
I see. This reminds me of a older team I had with Mega Absol. It had to lead so it could mega evolve to magic bounce be available for the rest of the match. Gliscor can absorb bad status but needs one turn before it becomes functional.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)