Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deserved win for Germany, Mascherano MOTM.

Messi gonna be used as the scapegoat, despite the fact that Maradona wouldn't have beaten this German team.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Congratulations to Germany, they were the best team in the tournament right from the beginning and no one was ever going to get in their way! Incredible goal by Gotze to win it all for the Germans, kudos to Messi for carrying them this far; there's only so much that one guy can do.

Congrats to Germany, best team in the world imo, also predicted them to win before the world cup started. Deserved

Palacio was pretty shit, still don't know why that guy was subbed in like every match

ANd that ref was terrible, should have given like 5+ more yellow cards, players noticed which means even more dirty fouls, still no cards, etc. Terrible, made the game pretty disghusting in that part

It wasn't that bad of a game actually, both sides tried to play. Argentina should've finished it when they had the chance, but they didn't,
So: Congrats Germany !

Predicted 3-0 Holland, was spot on (though there were dubious referee decisions).

Gonna predict 2-0 Argentina, perhaps AET

Going for Germany is boring
Did really thought Argentina was going to beat Germany by 2 goals when they couldnt beat any of their previous opponents by 1 goal? Not even the 3 shit teams in their group. Really?

Congrats Germany they were dominant.

1) Going for Germany is boring when everybody else is
2) It could have very well been 2-0 if Higuain and Messi tucked away their chances in normal time

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Argentina had 2 clean missed chances and then that one where Higuain's shot was called back, he had no reason to be so far offside on that one and could have likely come away with a goal even if he played it back another 6 feet.

Germany took less chances and played the long game and you could see it working, Argentina was on the aggressive for the large part of the first half but when extra time rolled around it was all Germany. They deserved this win as they showed they were consistently the best team at this World Cup.

Was really hoping we'd see some PKs off a godlike Messi finisher...oh well

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
1) Going for Germany is boring when everybody else is
2) It could have very well been 2-0 if Higuain and Messi tucked away their chances in normal time
3) Argentina shouldn't have even made it this far lmao they just had ez opponents most of the time but honestly this was one of the few games where they even tried to play

lol Messi the golden ball winner? He didnt even score a fucking goal in the knockout stages.

Muller, Mascherano and Rodriguez were all more deserving than Messi.

ok Honestly are people really going to make a fuss about an individual award.

Germany are Champions.

The fact of the matter is that Messi had a good tournament and has merited his award.
If Colombia advanced to the semi final then maybe James would have won it.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I think this was an entertaining game. Not the best one and again the permissiveness of the referee was frustrating (why the fuck didn't Agüero get booked and sent out after he hit Schweinsteiger?), and I thought that FIFA would have learnt after 2010's awful final. Most likely they just turn a blind eye or even encourage the referees to do this though.

By the way, my kudos to Argentina, they played their best match in the entire tournament. It might have been helped by Germany's playstyle or Khedira's injury but regardless, I do think they actually were more proactive and looked good throughout the game.

And of course, congratulations to Germany, the best team in the tournament and the deserving winners. They've been close to winning the last 3 World Cups and they finally achieved it. They haven't dominated some games but overall they've been the best.

Finally, I think it's pretty sad that Messi received the Golden Ball. Just look at his face after receiving the trophy, he clearly didn't look happy as he was the first to admit he wasn't a deserving winner this time. He hasn't been bad in this tournament but there are many players that were more deserving of the Golden Ball. If any Argentinian was to receive it, it should have been Mascherano.

Team of the Tournament:

GK: Neuer
CB: Hummels
CB: Vlaar
CB: Marquez
CM: Mascherano
CM: Kroos
RM: Robben
CAM: Rodriguez
LM: Messi
ST: Neymar
ST: Mueller

Flops of the Tournament:

GK: Akinfeev
RB: Alves
CB: Pepe
CB: Jagielka
LB: Baines
CDM: Gerrard
RCM: Moutinho
LCM: Song
CAM: Alonso
ST: Fred
ST: Balotelli

Goal of the Tournament:

1) Rodriguez vs Uruguay
2) Van Persie vs Spain
3) Cahill vs Australia
4) Robben vs Spain
5) Messi vs Iran

Kit of the Tournament:
Mexico Home

Game of the Tournament:
1) Brazil 1-7 Germany
2) Australia 2-3 Netherlands
3) Belgium 2-1 USA
4) Spain 1-5 Netherlands
5) Algeria 4-2 S.Korea

Moment of the Tournament:
Germany knock 4 past Brazil in the space of 6 minutes

Overall a fantastic world cup.

Team of the Tournament for me:
Neuer
Lahm...Hummels...Yepes...Blind
.........Kroos....Mascherano
Robben...Messi...Rodriguez
............Muller

Best Moments of the Tournament:
The 7 minute period when germany scored 4 against Brazil.
Klose coming off against Argentina and getting a standing ovation.

Worst Moment of the Tournament:
The award ceremony of the individual awards and the reaction to them.

Best Games:
Germany 2- 1 Algeria
Belgium 2 - 1 Usa
Australia 2 - 3 Netherlands
Germany 2-2 Ghana
Algeria 4-2 S. Korea
Mexico 0-0 Brazil
Chile 1-1 Brazil

Worst Games:
Russia matches
Iran vs Nigeria

Biggest Disappointments:
Russia
Spain
Brazil

I will just finish this comment with two articles
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/07...et-gotzes-extra-time-goal-wins-the-world-cup/
http://www.theguardian.com/football...razil?CMP=twt_gu#/?picture=442039702&index=16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)