RU Virizion (QC: 3/3) (GP: 2/2)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Overview
########
Virizion is one of the fastest attackers in the tier and also is arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. Its STAB moves strike a lot of common defensive Pokemon for heavy damage and have respectable power behind them as well. Virizion has a many resistances, most notably to Dark-type moves, which, when combined with Justified, makes Virizion one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. It also has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB moves are also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses that are further compounded by its low Defense.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt
ability: Justified
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Virizion's Attack, greatly making up for its lack of immediate power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB move, dealing a decent amount of damage without any downside. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its side effect of lowering Virizion's defenses and low PP means one would be advised not to use it liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist Virizion's dual STAB attacks: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, while Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as to Speed tie with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion the power it really needs. The item choice is important; Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOs after a Swords Dance boost on Pokemon that it could not before, such as Delphox after Stealth Rock and Escavalier.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to switch in rather easily and use its powerful STAB moves to threaten the opponent and attain a boost. One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances and hit them with the coverage move to sweep unhindered. If it cannot, then do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. As such, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but it can still function as a hole puncher thanks to its STAB moves.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; Moltres makes a good partner, as it is one of the best Doublade answers in the tier. Special Zoroark makes a great teammate, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Emboar, Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Fighting-type Pokemon with Knock Off, Escavalier, and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help keep Virizion's checks and counters, such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, at bay and can even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, while Virizion, in return, covers their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check, as they are overall trickier to counter.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Virizion's Special Attack and Special Defense, which works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as a powerful STAB move and an emergency nuke, especially considering this set's slower boosting pace when compared to Swords Dance. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types, such as Delphox, Moltres, and Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature let Virizion outrun as much as possible, and maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's attacks a much-needed punch, so as to maximize health gained by boosted Giga Drains.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam Life Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, which keeps Virizion's health high while wearing the opponent down. Virizion is best saved until mid- or late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it a great teammate. Optimal teammates can vary, depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, so bulky Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon can take them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them off. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar great choices.

Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of a reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome of any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than to compete with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users of dual screens such as Meowstic, Cresselia, and Bronzong have better support movepools than Virizion.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Psychic-types**: Regardless of Virizion's coverage option, bulky Psychic-types tend to be the most consistent counters to Virizion, as they resist its stronger STAB move. Delphox and Sigilyph have the benefit of resisting both of Virizion's STAB types, but must be wary of Stone Edge, although Delphox is pretty shaky against Swords Dance Virizion. Reuniclus and Cresselia shrug off Virizion's attacks with ease. They can also bypass Calm Mind by hitting Virizion's weaker Defense with Psyshock. Meloetta and Gallade can take on Calm Mind Virizion, but are defeated quickly by Swords Dance Virizion.

**Grass- and Fighting-type-Resistant Pokemon**: Plenty of Pokemon resist Virizion's STAB types, although how well they handle Virizion depends on the coverage move it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. Moonblast Whimsicott can prove to be annoying, especially when Encore disrupts any setup attempts on Virizion's part. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster Physical Attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that it is quite vulnerable to revenge killing. Almost every physical attacker that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten it in some way. Sticky Web is rare, but does put Virizion at a huge risk. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, and Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

Last edited:

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add the stallbreaker set.

worldtour edit: in case you're wondering what he is talking about he is talking about this set:
Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 Def
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

Last edited by a moderator:

Punchshroom

Added.

Edit: complete legitimacy Worldtour I am very skeptical of Taunt on Virizion, I have no idea what it is even supposed to target without putting Virizion at some/huge risk. It is virtually useless against any Virizion switch-in, and most defensive Pokemon that can be Taunted (this excludes Aromatisse) do not have any matchups that would sway into Virizion's favor.

Last edited:
taunt is a staple on most any stallbreaker and virizion is no exception. notably, it prevents toxic (registeel, gligar) and stops doublade from setting up. not that virizion has something it'd badly like to run in that moveslot anyway

Punchshroom

taunt is a staple on most any stallbreaker and virizion is no exception. notably, it prevents toxic (registeel, gligar) and stops doublade from setting up. not that virizion has something it'd badly like to run in that moveslot anyway
I imagined Fighting STAB would be handy to have, but Sacred Sword would require split EVs / nature while Focus Blast seems 'off' on a defensive set so yeah doesn't seem to be much better options. Still hesitant to call Viriz a good stallbreaker in that sense but I'll leave this as is for now.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I really don't see a need per se for the stallbreaker set. I get that the HP EVs let it take on Rhyperior, Sharpedo, Shiftry, and others in check, but what exactly are you stalling out with Taunt + Toxic that the SD set can simply run over? Lum Berry protects you from Registeel (whom you can't Toxic anyway) and unless it has Acro, you're using Gligar as setup fodder every time (and it could be using Immunity w/o Defog) Amoonguss is immune to Toxic, as is Doublade. Sigilyph and Reuniclus are still walking all over you. (Sigilyph needs Magic Guard though)
I mean, if I'm just flat out missing out on some defensive threats that Virizion can stall out and can't normally beat with SD (or even CM) then ignore what I'm getting at here, but I just don't see a need for the Stallbreaker set. I'm not trying to call the use of the set into question, but rather the need for it.

Reactions: g

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just gonna pop in here and agree with EonX that the stallbreaker set needs to go. No matter what c_l says from what ive seen that set is really bad :/.

might do a full check later

I don't really like the stallbreaker set that much either and I was kinda iffy about it anyway. Honestly I only edited c_l's post because he was too lazy to post the full set...

On the other stuff... Life Orb deserves to be slashed with Lum Berry on SD. Although Lum Berry is usually the better option, Virizion is lacking power for the standards of a set-up sweeper and it also helps KO things before and after setting up. For example, AV King is only OHKOed by Leaf Blade with a Life Orb (after Rocks). 172/0 Escavalier and Slurpuff can also avoid the OHKO after you set up and subsequently destroy you with Megahorn or Play Rough if you got a Lum Berry, but a Life Orb is a OHKO at +2. You can also OHKO Delphox after Stealth Rock with Close Combat, which opens up the slot for Zen Headbutt.

The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although it would be far from a OHKO.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 234-276 (72.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Bear in mind Iron Head + Shadow Sneak w/ LO damage only has a small chance to kill too, though it still shits on SD.

In both sets, I'd mention Stealth Rock support since if Stealth Rock is up, Virizion can KO Moltres at +1 with Focus Blast or +2 Close Combat (CC is regardless of item), Fletchinder with your Fighting coverage after boosting, Deplhox on the SD set, and in general weaken the Flying-types that may try to switch into Virizion. Also, you don't need HP Rock to kill Yanmega, +1 HP Fire is already a OHKO even without hazrds.

Finally, I'm iffy on putting Delphox in C&C when even without the appropriate coverage moves Delphox may not make it out alive against Virizion.

Do all this and consider this...

QC APPROVED 1/3

Punchshroom

I don't really like the stallbreaker set that much either and I was kinda iffy about it anyway. Honestly I only edited c_l's post because he was too lazy to post the full set...
Yeah the more I thought about it, the more lackluster I thought it'd be. Removed.

On the other stuff... Life Orb deserves to be slashed with Lum Berry on SD. Although Lum Berry is usually the better option, Virizion is lacking power for the standards of a set-up sweeper and it also helps KO things before and after setting up. For example, AV King is only OHKOed by Leaf Blade with a Life Orb (after Rocks). 172/0 Escavalier and Slurpuff can also avoid the OHKO after you set up and subsequently destroy you with Megahorn or Play Rough if you got a Lum Berry, but a Life Orb is a OHKO at +2. You can also OHKO Delphox after Stealth Rock with Close Combat, which opens up the slot for Zen Headbutt.
Added. I'd still mention Stone Edge in case Moltres decides to stop by.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 234-276 (72.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Bear in mind Iron Head + Shadow Sneak w/ LO damage only has a small chance to kill too, though it still shits on SD.
Yeah I did say it doesn't come close to OHKOing, but I probably should specify that Viriz can still beat Doublade. What I don't like is that Viriz takes such a shitton of damage if it wants to try this, so idk.

In both sets, I'd mention Stealth Rock support since if Stealth Rock is up, Virizion can KO Moltres at +1 with Focus Blast or +2 Close Combat (CC is regardless of item), Fletchinder with your Fighting coverage after boosting, Deplhox on the SD set, and in general weaken the Flying-types that may try to switch into Virizion. Also, you don't need HP Rock to kill Yanmega, +1 HP Fire is already a OHKO even without hazards.
Wow could've sworn I added SR for SD set. Fixed.

Finally, I'm iffy on putting Delphox in C&C when even without the appropriate coverage moves Delphox may not make it out alive against Virizion.
Virizion needs LO, SR, and +2 Stone Edge (hitting) to beat Delphox; Delphox can simply OHKO with Psyshock. Considering the odds are in Fox's favor a majority of the time, how is it not a check at least (Scarf Fox might even be considered a counter lol)?

Speaking of check, thanks!

Virizion needs LO, SR, and +2 Stone Edge (hitting) to beat Delphox; Delphox can simply OHKO with Psyshock. Considering the odds are in Fox's favor a majority of the time, how is it not a check at least (Scarf Fox might even be considered a counter lol)?
Actually it needs the +2 Close Combat and these things, not the +2 Stone Edge. Even without Rocks Delphox isn't doing too hot.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 259-305 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

It beats Calm Mind w/o HP Rock though and Scarf checks, that is correct.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Delphox is a solid check to CM, but is shaky against SD without a Scarf. Everything else looks pretty good Punchshroom. Big thanks to worltour for that long first Check to make my life loads easier, lol.

QC Approved 2/3

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
amcheck
add
remove
comments

Overview
########

Virizion is one of the speediest attackers in the tier, and arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. Its dual STABs combination strikes a lot of common defensive Pokemon for big heavy damage, and they have respectable power behind them as well. Virizion has a wide variety of useful resistances, such as to Water-, Electric-, Ground-, Rock-, and especially Dark-type moves, which when combined with Justified makes it one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. Virizion has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind as well, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB comboination is also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses, further compounded by its low Defense. However, Virizion is still a one-of-a-kind sweeper in the tier: if you're in need of a Grass-type sweeper / or cleaner, look no further.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Attack, greatly making up for Virizion's lack of sheer power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB, doing good damage without any cost. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its defense-lowering effect and low PP means one would be advised not to use it
recklessly liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist its dual STABs: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, whereas Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Max
imum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allows Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as speedtie with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion power which it really needs. The item choice is important: Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOes on Pokemon, such as Delphox (after Stealth Rock damage) and Escavalier with Close Combat, and other targets that it could not before.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to enter battle rather easily
,(RC) and threaten the boost against its helpless opponent I'm not really sure what you're saying here. One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances, and then nail them with the coverage move and sweep unhindered;. If it cannot, do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. Due to this, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but can still function as a hole(add space)puncher due to its good dual STABs.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; Moltres being one of the best Doublade answers in the tier
, it makes a good partner. Special Zoroark makes a great teammate, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse,. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Moltres, Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Knock Off using Fighting-types,(AC) / Escavalier,(AC) and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help to keep Virizion's counters and checks,(RC) such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, at bay, and may even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, Virizion in turn covering their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check,(RC) since they are overall trickier to counter.

(remove extra space)
Calm Mind
########

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Special Attack and Special Defense, which
combos works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as powerful STAB and an emergency nuke, especially given this set's slower pace when compared to Swords Dance. Hidden Power is used as the coverage move: Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types,(RC) such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types,(RC) such as Delphox, Moltres, Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Max
imum Speed investment and a Timid nature let Virizion outrun as much as possible, while maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's a much needed punch, with the HP lost being easily replenished by boosted Giga Drains I'm sort of confused by this sentence.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam L
ife Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, keeping its health high while wearing away at the opponent. It is best saved until mid- to late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire
-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it an admirable I don't think "admirable" is the right word here teammate. Optimal teammates can vary depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, with so bulky resists such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon being capable of takinge them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar a great choice, as they can easily dispatch of these problematic Pokemon.

(remove extra space)
Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options
:. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing for Virizion, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than compete with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users such as Meowstic and Serperior have better Speed and/or support movepool.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Psychic-types**: Regardless of Virizion's coverage option, bulky Psychic-types tend to be the most consistent counters to Virizion, as they resist its stronger STAB. Delphox and Sigilyph have the benefit of resisting both
of Virizion's STABs types, (but they must be wary of Stone Edge), although Delphox is pretty shaky against Swords Dance Virizion. Reuniclus and Cresselia shrug off Virizion's attacks with ease. They can also bypass Calm Mind by hitting Virizion's weaker Defense with Psyshock. Meloetta and Gallade can take on Calm Mind Virizion, but are ended quickly by Swords Dance Virizion.

**Grass and Fighting resist
s**: Plenty of Pokemon resist this combo, although how well they handle Virizion hinges depends This is a bit more personal preference on the coverage move the latter it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster physical attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that should Virizion be outsped, it can be rendered pretty vulnerable
to revenge KOing. Swellow, Durant, Tauros, Archeops, Ambipom...Almost every physical attacker one would care to name that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten the latter it in some way. Sticky Web drastically increases this number, putting Virizion at huge risk Sticky Web isn't very viable now because of the Shuckle ban. I would ask a QC member if this is still okay. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff, or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade, can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, whereas Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

This looks fine and all but I'd remove the Serperior mention in OO as it is not really used in RU as a whole. You can add Bronzing or Cresselia if you want another example c:

I think a Choice Banded Virizion might be considered, it has a nice speed so boosting the attack stat can be useful, right?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
amcheck
Implement whatever you like and don't implement whatever you don't like, or ask a cool and capable actual GP member such as horyzhnz or Ender to look over this check ^.^

add (Capitalization)
remove
comments

Overview
########
Virizion is one of the speediest attackers in the tier, (RC) and arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. Its STAB combination strike strikes (subject-verb disagreement) a lot of common defensive Pokemon for heavy damage, (RC) and they have has respectable power behind them it as well. Virizion has a wide variety of useful resistances, (AC) namely (imo this way it implied 'a wide variety of resistances to Water-type moves, a wide variety of resistances to El-type moves, etc, it read pretty awkward) to Water-, Electric-, Ground-, Rock-, and especially Dark-type moves,; which when combined with Justified, (AC) this makes it one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. (subordinate clause resulted in awkward phrasing) Virizion has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind as well, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB combination is also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses, further compounded by its low Defense. However, Virizion is still a one-of-a-kind sweeper in the tier: if you're in need of a Grass-type sweeper or cleaner, look no further. (sentences of this kind have been outlawed as redundant fluff)
(consider substituting some of the 'Virizions' with pronouns, it makes everything flow better, it read a little chunky on occasion)

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Attack, greatly making up for Virizion's lack of sheer immediate power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB, doing good damage without any cost. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its Defense-lowering effect and low PP means one would be advised not to use it liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist its dual STABs: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, whereas Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allows Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as to Speed tie (spacing) with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion the power which it really needs. The item choice is important: Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOes OHKOs with Close Combat on Pokemon that it could not before, such as Delphox after Stealth Rock damage and Escavalier with Close Combat, and other targets that it could not before. (flows much better this way. The 'and other targets'-bit is redundant as it is already implied by using 'such as'. Also, I think you should mention these OHKOs are at +2.)

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to enter battle rather easily and use its powerful STAB combination to threaten the opponent in order to snag a boost. One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances, and then nail them with the coverage move and sweep unhindered. If it cannot, do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. Due to this, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but it can still function as a hole puncher due to its good dual STABs.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; as Moltres makes a good partner, as it is one of the best Doublade answers in the tier, it makes a good partner. (better flow) Special Zoroark makes a great teammate as well, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Moltres, (already mentioned, try switching it out for something else) Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Knock Off using Fighting-types, Escavalier, and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help keep Virizion's counters and checks at bay, (AC) such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, at bay, and may can even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, Virizion in turn covering their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check, (AC) since they are overall trickier to counter.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Special Attack and Special Defense, which works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as powerful STAB and an emergency nuke, especially given this set's slower boosting pace when compared to Swords Dance. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types, such as Delphox, Moltres, and Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature lets (if you mean the EVs and the nature as a collective, then it should be singular. If not, 'allows' in Set Details of the SD set should be plural as well) Virizion outrun as much as possible, while maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's attacks a much needed punch, so as to maximize health gain by boosted Giga Drains.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam Life Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, keeping its health high while wearing away at the opponent. It Virizion (seemed to refer to Giga Drain otherwise) is best saved until mid- to late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it a great teammate. Optimal teammates can vary, (AC) depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, so bulky resists such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon can take them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar great choices, as they can easily dispatch of these problematic Pokemon.

Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome of any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing for Virizion, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than compete competing (English could be letting me down now but logically I'd want a noun, i.e. a gerund, here) with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users such as Meowstic, Cresselia, and Bronzong have better support movepools.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Psychic-types**: Regardless of Virizion's coverage option, bulky Psychic-types tend to be the most consistent counters to Virizion, as they resist its stronger STAB. Delphox and Sigilyph have the benefit of resisting both of Virizion's STAB types, but must be wary of Stone Edge, although Delphox is pretty shaky against Swords Dance Virizion. Reuniclus and Cresselia shrug off Virizion's attacks with ease. They can also bypass Calm Mind by hitting Virizion's weaker Defense with Psyshock. Meloetta and Gallade can take on Calm Mind Virizion, but are ended defeated quickly by Swords Dance Virizion.

**Grass and Fighting resists**: Plenty of Pokemon resist this combo, although how well they handle Virizion depends on the coverage move it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster physical attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that should Virizion be outsped, (already implied by the revenge killing part) it can be rendered pretty vulnerable to revenge KOing. Almost every physical attacker one would care to name that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten the latter in some way. Sticky Web is rare, but does put Virizion at huge risk. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff, or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade, (RC) can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, whereas Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

Pretty good job overall imo.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Punchshroom very amateur check here :o my first actually

additions
removals
comments

Overview
########
Virizion is one of the speediest fastest attackers in the tier and arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. Its STAB moves combination strikes a lot of common defensive Pokemon for heavy damage and has respectable power behind it as well. Virizion has a wide variety of useful resistances, namely to Water-, Electric-, Ground-, Rock-, and especially Dark-type moves; which, combined with Justified, this makes it one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. Virizion It has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind as well, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB moves combination is also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses, further compounded by its low Defense.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Attack, greatly making up for Virizion's lack of immediate power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB move, doing good damage without any cost. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its Defense-lowering (shouldn't you mention it also lowers Special Defense?) effect and low PP means one would be advised not to use it liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist its dual STAB options: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, whereas Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as to Speed tie with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion the power it really needs. The item choice is important: Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOs after a Swords Dance boost on Pokemon that it could not before, such as Delphox after Stealth Rock and Escavalier.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to enter battle rather switch in easily and use its powerful STAB moves combination to threaten the opponent in order to snag a boost (if you mean force the opposing Pokemon out and use it as an opportunity to set up, you should say that instead of "threaten the opponent and snag a boost"). One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances, and then nail hit them with the coverage move and sweep unhindered. If it cannot, then do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. Due to this, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but it can still function as a hole puncher due to its good dual STABs.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; Moltres makes a good partner, as it is one of the best Doublade answers in the tier. Special Zoroark makes a great teammate, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Emboar, Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Knock Off using Fighting-types Fighting-type Pokemon with Knock Off, Escavalier, and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help keep Virizion's counters and checks at bay, such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, and can even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, (RC) while Virizion in turn covering covers their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check, since they are overall trickier to counter.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Special Attack and Special Defense, which works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as powerful STAB and an emergency nuke, especially given this set's slower boosting pace when compared to Swords Dance. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types, such as Delphox, Moltres, and Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature let Virizion outrun as much as possible, while maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's attacks a much needed punch, so as to maximize health gain by boosted Giga Drains.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam Life Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, keeping its health high while wearing away at the opponent down. Virizion is best saved until mid- to late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it a great teammate. Optimal teammates can vary, depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, so bulky resists such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon can take them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar great choices, as they can easily dispatch of these problematic Pokemon.

Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome of any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than to compete with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users such as Meowstic, Cresselia, and Bronzong have better support movepools.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Psychic-types**: Regardless of Virizion's coverage option, bulky Psychic-types tend to be the most consistent counters to Virizion, as they resist its stronger STAB. Delphox and Sigilyph have the benefit of resisting both of Virizion's STAB types, but must be wary of Stone Edge, although Delphox is pretty shaky against Swords Dance Virizion. Reuniclus and Cresselia shrug off Virizion's attacks with ease. They can also bypass Calm Mind by hitting Virizion's weaker Defense with Psyshock. Meloetta and Gallade can take on Calm Mind Virizion, but are defeated quickly by Swords Dance Virizion.

**Grass- and Fighting-type resists**: Plenty of Pokemon resist this combo, although how well they handle Virizion depends on the coverage move it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. Moonblast Whimsicott can prove to be annoying, especially when Encore disrupts any setup attempts on Virizion's part. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster physical attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that it can be rendered pretty vulnerable to revenge KOing killing. Almost every physical attacker that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten the latter it in some way. Sticky Web is rare, but does put Virizion at huge risk. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff, or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, whereas Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

You've said "STAB" and "STABs" often in the analysis. The correct way of saying it is "STAB move" or "STAB option", as in, "Leaf Blade is the STAB move of choice".

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Ah you'd be correct, but The Dutch Plumberjack's amcheck glossed over that one.
If you want it perfectly accurate, just make it 'defenses-lowering' imo (not too sure about the capital, don't know if 'defenses' as in 'defensive stats' is capitalised.) In any case, you shouldn't be explicitly spelling out both defenses because then you're becoming unnecessarily verbose, I just figured it was clear this way (and would be butchered otherwise) so I didn't bother.

If you want to circumvent this issue, you can also just say 'negative side effect' of course ^.^ that's probably the most elegant solution actually.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Virizion is one of the fastest attackers in the tier and also is arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. The combination of iIts STAB moves strikes a lot of common defensive Pokemon for heavy damage and hasve respectable power behind ithem as well. Virizion has a wide varietmany of useful resistances, namely to Water-, Electric-, Ground-, Rock-, and especialmost notably to Dark-type moves, which, when combined with Justified, makes itVirizion one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. It also has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind as well, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB moves are also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses, that are further compounded by its low Defense.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Virizion's Attack, greatly making up for Virizion'its lack of immediate power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB move, doealing gooda decent amount of damage without any cost. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its side effense-ct of lowering Virizion's deffectenses and low PP means one would be advised not to use it liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist itVirizion's dual STAB attacks: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, whilereas Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as to Speed tie with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion the power it really needs. The item choice is important: Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOs after a Swords Dance boost on Pokemon that it could not before, such as Delphox after Stealth Rock and Escavalier.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to switch in rather easily and use its powerful STAB moves to threaten the opponent and snagattain a boost. One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances, and then hit them with the coverage move and sweep unhindered. If it cannot, then do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. Due to thisAs such, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but it can still function as a hole -puncher duethanks to its good dual STAB moves.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; Moltres makes a good partner, as it is one of the best Doublade answers in the tier. Special Zoroark makes a great teammate, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Emboar, Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Fighting-type Pokemon with Knock Off , Escavalier, and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help keep Virizion's counterhecks and checks at bayounters, such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, at bay and can even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, while Virizion, in return, covers their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check, asince they are overall trickier to counter.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Virizion's Special Attack and Special Defense, which works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as a powerful STAB move and an emergency nuke, especially givwhen this set's slower boosting pace when compared to Swords Dance is considered. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types, such as Delphox, Moltres, and Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature let Virizion outrun as much as possible, while maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's attacks a much needed punch, so as to maximize health gained by boosted Giga Drains.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam Life Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, which keepings its health high while wearing the opponent down. Virizion is best saved until mid- to late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it a great teammate. Optimal teammates can vary, depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, so bulky Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon can take them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them off. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar great choices, as they can easily dispatchmake quick work of these problematic Pokemon.

Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of a reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome of any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than to compete with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users of dualscreens such as Meowstic, Cresselia, and Bronzong have better support movepools than Virizion.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Psychic-types**: Regardless of Virizion's coverage option, bulky Psychic-types tend to be the most consistent counters to Virizion, as they resist its stronger STAB move. Delphox and Sigilyph have the benefit of resisting both of Virizion's STAB types, but must be wary of Stone Edge, although Delphox is pretty shaky against Swords Dance Virizion. Reuniclus and Cresselia shrug off Virizion's attacks with ease. They can also bypass Calm Mind by hitting Virizion's weaker Defense with Psyshock. Meloetta and Gallade can take on Calm Mind Virizion, but are defeated quickly by Swords Dance Virizion.

**Grass- and Fighting-type resists**: Plenty of Pokemon resist this combination, although how well they handle Virizion depends on the coverage move it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. Moonblast Whimsicott can prove to be annoying, especially when Encore disrupts any setup attempts on Virizion's part. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster physical attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that it can be rendered prettyquite vulnerable to revenge killing. Almost every physical attacker that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten it in some way. Sticky Web is rare, but does put Virizion at a huge risk. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff, or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, whereasile Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Punchshroom

REMOVE
CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Virizion is one of the fastest attackers in the tier and also is arguably the best offensive Grass-type available. Its STAB moves strike a lot of common defensive Pokemon for heavy damage and have respectable power behind them as well. Virizion has a many resistances, most notably to Dark-type moves, which, when combined with Justified, makes Virizion one of the best Knock Off absorbers in the tier. It also has great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Calm Mind, which increases its unpredictability factor. However, Virizion is somewhat reliant on its boosts to do damage, as it is fairly weak without them. Its STAB moves are also resisted by a good deal of threats in the tier, while Virizion has only adequate coverage at best to attempt to cover them. For all its great resistances, Virizion has some common weaknesses that are further compounded by its low Defense.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========
Swords Dance doubles Virizion's Attack, greatly making up for its lack of immediate power. Leaf Blade is Virizion's reliable STAB move, dealing a decent amount of damage without any downsides cost. Close Combat is for when Virizion wants the extra kick to finish off a foe, although its side effect of lowering Virizion's defenses and low PP means one would be advised not to use it liberally. The last move is for coverage against Pokemon that resist Virizion's dual STAB attacks: Stone Edge nails Flying-types such as Moltres and Yanmega, as well as Delphox, while Zen Headbutt hits Poison-types such as Amoonguss, Weezing, and Dragalge.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow Virizion to outrun as much as possible, as well as to Speed tie with Cobalion. Maximum Attack grants Virizion the power it really needs. The item choice is important; (SC) Lum Berry allows Virizion to set up safely against status, most notably Scald and Thunder Wave, whereas Life Orb gives Virizion a notable boost in power, snagging OHKOs after a Swords Dance boost on Pokemon that it could not before, such as Delphox after Stealth Rock and Escavalier.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion's resistances allow it to switch in rather easily and use its powerful STAB moves to threaten the opponent and attain a boost. One should scout out the opponent's Grass- and Fighting-resistant Pokemon and determine whether Virizion's coverage move can bring them down. If it can, set up using Virizion's resistances, (RC) and then hit them with the coverage move and sweep unhindered. If it cannot, then do not attempt to boost with Virizion at all and just throw out an unboosted attack to test the waters. As such, Virizion works best as a late-game cleaner after its counters and faster Pokemon have been removed, but it can still function as a hole puncher thanks to its STAB moves.

Team Options
========
Teammates that can defeat Doublade are essential as Virizion has no way around it; Moltres makes a good partner, as it is one of the best Doublade answers in the tier. Special Zoroark makes a great teammate, disguising itself to lure out Doublade for a swift KO with Dark Pulse. Choice Specs Zoroark even deals with other Virizion counters with its powerful coverage and access to Trick. Powerful attackers such as Emboar, Clawitzer, and Exploud can threaten to KO Doublade. Fighting-type Pokemon with Knock Off, spacing Escavalier, and Crunch Durant can lure Doublade out and soften it up for Virizion. Stealth Rock users, such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, help keep Virizion's checks and counters, such as Moltres, Delphox, Fletchinder, and Yanmega, at bay and can even take them on to a certain extent. Slowking has decent defensive synergy with Virizion, providing a safety net against Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for it to set up on; Slowking can provide either defensive or offensive support depending on its set. Ideally, teammates should cover the threats that Virizion's coverage move does not beat. If using Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt targets should be covered with Psychic-type teammates: Delphox, Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia can easily handle Poison-types, while Virizion, in return, covers their Dark weakness. If using Zen Headbutt, Stealth Rock can keep Stone Edge targets in check, as they are overall trickier to counter.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Virizion's Special Attack and Special Defense, which works well with Giga Drain to steal a lot of the opponent's health while being harder to take down due to increased bulk. Focus Blast is inaccurate but necessary, as it serves as a powerful STAB move and an emergency nuke, especially considering this set's slower boosting pace when compared to Swords Dance. Hidden Power Fire hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Doublade, Amoonguss, and Escavalier, while Hidden Power Rock strikes Fire- and Flying-types, such as Delphox, Moltres, and Yanmega.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature let Virizion outrun as much as possible, while and maximum Special Attack gives Virizion's attacks a much-needed punch, so as to maximize health gained by boosted Giga Drains.

Usage Tips
========
Virizion can find time to set up by virtue of its great resistances. Ideally, Virizion should set up once or twice and proceed to spam Life Orb-boosted Giga Drains as much as possible. The lack of immediate power is made up for by longevity granted by Giga Drain, which keeps its Virizion's health high while wearing the opponent down. Virizion is best saved until mid- to or late-game, but can act as a pivot using its resistances and Giga Drain to take attacks.

Team Options
========
Stealth Rock is helpful for Virizion as most of its counters are weak to it, softening them up for a possible KO. Slowking can take Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks while luring in Electric-, Grass-, and Dark-types for Virizion, making it a great teammate. Optimal teammates can vary, depending on the Hidden Power of choice. Hidden Power Fire Virizion wants Fire-types out of the way, so bulky Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves such as Slowking, Jellicent, and Druddigon can take them on, while offensive responses such as Sharpedo and Dugtrio can quickly finish them off. Hidden Power Rock Virizion would face trouble against Steel-types and Amoonguss, making Fire-type teammates such as Moltres, Delphox, and Emboar great choices, as they can easily make quick work of these problematic Pokemon.

Other Options
########
Virizion has an incredibly barren movepool that is essentially devoid of other worthwhile attacking options. Sacred Sword is the only one worth a look, but Virizion desperately wants a stronger attack in Close Combat, especially when Leaf Blade already takes the role of a reliable attack. Taunt can stop foes from healing, but is useless against Virizion's counters and does not change the outcome of any matchups significantly. Synthesis provides healing, but Giga Drain already does this, and Virizion cannot afford to drop coverage. Defensive Virizion mainly focuses on using its resistances, but it has limited support options, and Virizion has better things to be doing than to compete with Amoonguss and Tangrowth. Virizion has access to dual screens, but other users of dual screens such as Meowstic, Cresselia, and Bronzong have better support movepools than Virizion.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass- and Fighting-type-Resistant Pokemon resists**: Plenty of Pokemon resist this Virizion's STAB types combination, although how well they handle Virizion depends on the coverage move it uses. Flying-types can easily deal with Virizion if no Rock-type move is present, whereas Poison-types only really fear Zen Headbutt. Moonblast Whimsicott can prove to be annoying, especially when Encore disrupts any setup attempts on Virizion's part. The only move Doublade would fear from Virizion is +1 Hidden Power Fire, although Doublade can still do a lot of damage to Virizion in the process.

**Faster Physical Attackers**: Virizion is not easy to outspeed, but its low Defense means that it can be rendered is quite vulnerable to revenge killing. Almost every physical attacker that is naturally faster than Virizion can threaten it in some way. Sticky Web is rare, but does put Virizion at a huge risk. Unburden users such as Hitmonlee and Slurpuff, (RC) or Choice Scarf users such as Emboar, Psyshock Delphox, and Gallade can get the drop on Virizion as well. Virizion resists most forms of priority, but Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard hurts, while and Fletchinder's Acrobatics instantly KOes Virizion.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)