Pokémon Aggron

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I went for outrage is that I already have Rhydon and Hippowdon with stabbing Earthquake and I want something to powerful hit Dragons with.
Ice Punch does that and more. Even though Aggron doesn't mind Fairies so much, getting locked into Outrage is never fun and you'd usually need to switch out after using it. Ice Punch also hits many Pokemon super-effectively and has no immunities.

Oh, after testing it out AV Aggron is pretty good. Nice bulk and good power, especially with Head Smash.

AV Aggron definitely needs Wish support, since he has no way to recover on his own, and will especially need it if using Head Smash. That aside, he's going to take and deal hits like a boss.

AV Aggron definitely needs Wish support, since he has no way to recover on his own, and will especially need it if using Head Smash. That aside, he's going to take and deal hits like a boss.
He gets no recoil from Head Smash so Wish support is only required as much as it is for Mega Aggron. It's nice but not necessary.

Ice Punch does that and more. Even though Aggron doesn't mind Fairies so much, getting locked into Outrage is never fun and you'd usually need to switch out after using it. Ice Punch also hits many Pokemon super-effectively and has no immunities.

Oh, after testing it out AV Aggron is pretty good. Nice bulk and good power, especially with Head Smash.
Ice Punch provides coverage for Ground. (As, Fire Punch takes care of Grass) I think Ice Punch is a better move coverage wise, as it takes care of Ground types who can bother Aggron, but there is a big loss of power when compared to Outrage. If I want to run 2 elemental punches on Aggron I better raise his Attack. My Aggon got 252 in Sdef, 100 in Attack and the rest in HP.

What about Thunder Punch? A nice way to damage Water Pokemons who can bother Aggron. Fire Punch provides Aggon with an amazing coverage, but nothing Fire Punch hits effectively can hit back Aggron effectively.

Assault Vest regular Aggron definitely seems interesting, especially if you carry multiple pokémon that could potentially mega. The lack of Stealth Rock is disappointing, but what about Head Smash/EQ/Iron Head/Ice Punch for moves? If we're talking UU, Steel types shouldn't be as big of a problem, so Fire Punch's coverage is rendered mostly redundant by EQ. EQ also gives coverage on Electric, Fire, and Poison types, whereas the only thing Fire Punch hits SE that Ice Punch or EQ doesn't is Forretress.

Assault Vest regular Aggron definitely seems interesting, especially if you carry multiple pokémon that could potentially mega. The lack of Stealth Rock is disappointing, but what about Head Smash/EQ/Iron Head/Ice Punch for moves? If we're talking UU, Steel types shouldn't be as big of a problem, so Fire Punch's coverage is rendered mostly redundant by EQ. EQ also gives coverage on Electric, Fire, and Poison types, whereas the only thing Fire Punch hits SE that Ice Punch or EQ doesn't is Forretress.
There's Bronzong too, but otherwise I agree that fire Punch is a bit redundant. The only worthwile moves on Assault Vest Aggron are the ones you listed and possibly Dragon Tail, Superpower, Power-up Punch, or maybe even Metal Burst (that counts as an attack I believe). Thunderpunch only hits water types which Aggron shouldn't be staying in on, Aqua Tail hits nothing super-effectively that you don't already cover between Earthquake and Ice Punch, Outrage doesn't hit anything important and has horrible consequences, Shadow Claw has great coverage but is weak and most Ghost and Psychic types are already hit hard by STAB or Earthquake)

tl;dr ^What he said

There's Bronzong too, but otherwise I agree that fire Punch is a bit redundant. The only worthwile moves on Assault Vest Aggron are the ones you listed and possibly Dragon Tail, Superpower, Power-up Punch, or maybe even Metal Burst (that counts as an attack I believe). Thunderpunch only hits water types which Aggron shouldn't be staying in on, Aqua Tail hits nothing super-effectively that you don't already cover between Earthquake and Ice Punch, Outrage doesn't hit anything important and has horrible consequences, Shadow Claw has great coverage but is weak and most Ghost and Psychic types are already hit hard by STAB or Earthquake)

tl;dr ^What he said
Using PuP with AV might be intreresting... But there are probably much better options. Something like PuP, Head Smash, Ice Punch, and Iron Head/EQ. PuP to boost his attack with AV, which could potentially be destructive. Head Smash is there for the ultra powerful STAB attack, Ice Punch for coverage, and then you lose out on a STAB fairy killer or EQ for good coverage... hmm. FMSS anyone?

Anyone have any EV's ideas for a sassy arron I got It's IV's are: 31/31/31/x/31/x
If you want some power I'd go for 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def or for tankiness then 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Sp. Def, but someone else could probably provide better spreads.

tl;dr ^What he said
Oh yeah, I forgot about Bronzong. But I doubt that Fire Punch would do an appreciable amount of damage to it anyway, and it certainly doesn't seem worth the trade-off on coverage. Because seriously, Bronzong is annoying no matter what you're running.

Speaking of annoying things, has Clefable jumped to OU yet? And if not, could Clefable/(Mega?)Aggron be a decent defensive core in UU? Clefable can come in and take the fire and fighting hits that Aggron won't like, give it Wish recovery, and spread status around. Aggron, meanwhile, laughs off poison and steel type moves while punching holes in everything, and would really benefit from Clefable's Wishes.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Bronzong. But I doubt that Fire Punch would do an appreciable amount of damage to it anyway, and it certainly doesn't seem worth the trade-off on coverage. Because seriously, Bronzong is annoying no matter what you're running.

Speaking of annoying things, has Clefable jumped to OU yet? And if not, could Clefable/(Mega?)Aggron be a decent defensive core in UU? Clefable can come in and take the fire and fighting hits that Aggron won't like, give it Wish recovery, and spread status around. Aggron, meanwhile, laughs off poison and steel type moves while punching holes in everything, and would really benefit from Clefable's Wishes.

I've been using a Mega Aggron lead with a specially defensive Togekiss as a Wish supporter, since Togekiss is immune to Ground type attacks and laughs at Fighting moves. It's working out ok, I've won more battles than I lost but the team still needs a lot of tweaking and I'm not that high up on the ladder so my results were skewed by weak(er) opponents I guess.

Regarding Clefable, I really like its movepool and abilities, but its base stats just aren't all that nice... A Calm Mind Clefable can complement Mega Aggron pretty nicely though I guess.

Using PuP with AV might be intreresting... But there are probably much better options. Something like PuP, Head Smash, Ice Punch, and Iron Head/EQ. PuP to boost his attack with AV, which could potentially be destructive. Head Smash is there for the ultra powerful STAB attack, Ice Punch for coverage, and then you lose out on a STAB fairy killer or EQ for good coverage... hmm. FMSS anyone?
Ground coverage > Fighting coverage, IMO. You don't want to be stuck in against something like Jirachi and have your best option be a fairly weak neutral move. What would be a good nature/EV spread for AV, though?

I've been using a Mega Aggron lead with a specially defensive Togekiss as a Wish supporter, since Togekiss is immune to Ground type attacks and laughs at Fighting moves. It's working out ok, I've won more battles than I lost but the team still needs a lot of tweaking and I'm not that high up on the ladder so my results were skewed by weak(er) opponents I guess.

Regarding Clefable, I really like its movepool and abilities, but its base stats just aren't all that nice... A Calm Mind Clefable can complement Mega Aggron pretty nicely though I guess.
95/73/90 Defenses are fairly respectable, especially down in UU and coupled with its new pure Fairy type. Combine that with Magic Guard, access to reliable recovery that can be passed to its teammates, and a movepool so deep it's a wonder it doesn't drown, Clefable and Mega Aggron are sounding more and more like a really good core down in UU. The only thing that can really stand up to them both is Nidoking, who doesn't appreciate taking EQs himself if you can get him on the switch. His typing unfortunately makes him immune to both of Clefable's most common status moves, but Mega Aggron might be able to tank an Earth Power or two if a few EVs are tossed into Sp. Def.

Clefable is solidly OU actually, ad it's amazing in this tier. Sylveon and Togekiss are OU, too. Florges is the best fairy to pair with Aggron in UU, but keep in mind that Nidoqueen is running rampant in this tier.

Mega Aggron might be able to tank an Earth Power or two if a few EVs are tossed into Sp. Def.
He definitely is. I remember a Heatran not even doing 50% with Earth Power (before getting OHKO'ed by EQ). I run my Aggron with all EVs in HP and SpD since its ridicolous physical bulk + a 10% nature boost got me covered on the physical side already.

Also, I didn't even think about UU... Aggron + Clefable should be pretty damn good in UU, considering it's not doing too bad in OU.

/edit: ok, so apparently Clefable is OU lol... Scrap that then. Should work with Florges too though.

Ground coverage > Fighting coverage, IMO. You don't want to be stuck in against something like Jirachi and have your best option be a fairly weak neutral move. What would be a good nature/EV spread for AV, though?
Just throwing an idea out there. I honestly have no clue whether it would be any good or not, and I might give it a test run to find out. PuP is an incredibly low powered attack though, so it might turn out to be worthless. Still, being able to boost AV Aggron's attack would be pretty nice. Then you could throw all your EV's into defense and not have to worry about boosting his attack. If I try it, I'll definitely try it in UU first, where it won't be as hard to get Aggron in. I don't normally mess with UU though, so putting together a team for UU might be kind of a pain since I know almost nothing about the tier.

I've been reading this thread for a bit, and I'm surprised I haven't seen a Hone Claws +3 Attacks set.

Here's how I run my Mega-Aggron

Aggron@Aggronite
4HP/252Atk/252Sp.Def Careful Nature
-Hone Claws
-Iron Tail
-EQ
-Stone Edge
(Note: I use Sturdy as an ability on mine so it's harder to 1HKO on switch in, but that's really up to you.)

After the accuracy boost of Hone Claws, Iron Tail and Stone Edge rarely, if ever, miss, and EQ rolls in for coverage. The attack boost is icing on the cake. Most people run Heavy Slam over Iron Tail for accuracy, but with that patched up, Iron Tail makes a great STAB move over HS. On top of that, we can stop calling it "Stone Miss" now. This set could potentially run on a regular aggron, however, for a standard Aggron, I run something more along these lines:

Aggron@Assault Vest
252HP/4Atk/252Sp.Def Careful Nature
Ability Rock Head
-Heavy Slam
-Head Smash
-Power-Up Punch
-EQ

I rarely use this aggron, but when it works, it works. It usually doesn't though.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Adamant
Rock Head/Filter
Stealth Rock
Iron Defense
Iron Tail
Aerial Ace
252 Atk 252 Def 4HP

This is a pretty good set aerial ace for fighting and ground types stealth rock for fire types iron defense for its great defense stat and iron tail for STAB.

Aggroniter

1. STAB Iron Head (you should be running that over Iron Tail) does identical damage to SE Aerial Ace, except on the handful of things that are weak to AA but resist Iron Head (e.g. Keldeo.) Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Low Kick/Superpower are better coverage options. In all seriousness, nothing should ever be using Aerial Ace except maybe Aerodactyl (and perhaps Kabutops/Crawdaunt for Chesnaught, but they usually have better options.)
2. You do not need full Def investment (or any at all really; SDef or Attack are much better places to put it,) and you especially should not invest in Def/SDef before HP investment. Plus if you really want to boost that Def, Curse is better cause it boosts your attack. You don't need +2 Def when you already have unbelievable amounts of bulk.

napty

Banned deucer.
I feel like Mega Aggron has a good matchup VS the new megas. Specially def one can deal with Mega Diancie, as well as Mega Salamence. It also counters Beedrill, Altaria, Glalie, Metagross, and Steelix.

I'm may going to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)