Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So got a couple of pokes in D rank that I think should move up and some in C rank that should move up.

Cradily for C rank: great special wall that can run some great utility moves like stealth rock, recover/toxic. It also is a good absorber for water moves boosting its special attack to x1.5, which in turn allows it to get more health back with giga drain. I tried out a mixed attacking special wall and the coverage for rock slide and giga drain did reasonably well.

Supporting Pawniard for something higher than D, some people were saying in B but C+ at least. The couple of times I have watched people use him it has put in work, (even in RU molk got reqs for the Shuckle suspect with Pawniard). Defiant makes it a good counter/check to sticky web and defog, while the evio lite gives reasonable bulk and SD allows for it to boost without relying on defiant. It also gets a super powerful stab sucker punch.

Throh for C- rank: Throh has a couple of decent sets out there from rest talk to Assault Vest. It is a bulky mon with good coverage who is out classed by things like gurdurr and sawk, however that doesn't mean Throh can't put in work. It gets storm throw/circle throw which allows it to take out boosters and has gotten access to knock off for ghost types, it also gets ice punch for grass. Overall a decent mon good enough to make the jump out of D.

Torkoal for C rank: Torkoal is a relatively bulky mon that has some pretty good attributes about it. It gets both stealth rock and spin. However it is not the best spinner due to its weakness to rocks and spikes. It is a good physical wall taking hits really well,an d then has the ability to burn back with either will o wisp or lava plume. The rocks weakness holds it back from making higher than C, but its ability to take hits and spread burns is good enough for C.

Probopass for B- rank: Probopass was a Pokemon I was surprised to see way down in C-. Even before Slurpuff dropped it was a fantastic poke to use. It can carry both stealth rock and toxic for support moves, or even twave to spread paralysis around. It also has volt switch making it a great bulky pivot. Power gem/flash cannon for stabs if you need to stay in and do damage. Also more recently it does a decent job at checking Slurpuff. It's cons are being weak to fighting, which is spammed throughout the tier, but being a special wall there really aren't to many fighting types that hit it specially so you wouldn't really be staying in on those anyways.

Drops:

Klingklang for C+: I tried this poke out for the first testing week and just found it incredibly hard to get it to sweep. Getting access to shift gear is good for the speed but only getting +1 attack left Klingklang lacking the power it needed to sweep. And with the lots of fighting spam in the tier it doesn't get to much chance to set up. Although it can be scary if it gets to +2-3 actually getting there is another story. Also having a stab that seems to miss fairly often also isn't helping it one bit. I don't think it deserves to stay in B- but shouldn't fall to far down in the C ranks because with the right support Klingklang can be good.

So now that we have had a little bit of time to see the effect of Slurpuff and Electivire I am going to nominate Electivire for A/A- rank.

Electivire is a great mon to throw on a team for a number of reasons: can be physical/special, has great coverage, various sets (mixed, band/specs/scarf, LO, expert belt), gets access to volt switch for momentum, looks like a bad ass. All of these things make it a scary threat on the enemy team and require a little bit of scouting to see what set it is. However one of the things Electivire seems to lack is important KOing power on Pokemon it should be OHKOing. In my experience, when I've needed to kill something, I am always 10% or so off from the kill. This lack of power doesn't mean to much if you use it as a late game sweeper or have hazard support on the field, but I feel like it is keeping Electivire from being an A+/S rank poke. So I'm thinking A rank will fit Electivire the best.
I Agree with you, but I think A ranking is a bit to high for Evire. A- is the highest I would agree with, B+ looks to me like a better spot for hin, since it needs some support to sweep and cant OHKO most things it should OHKO.

I also would like to see Zangoose rise to A rank, since it literally 2HKOs the entire defensive meta with Toxic Boost. I also want it as a birthday present. SD reks offensive with quick attack and dont even get me started on sticky web.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The following are the changes I agree with and plan to implement in the OP tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Code:
Barbaracle from B+ to B
Carracosta from B- to C+
Combusken from B to A-
Cradily from D to C-
Drifblim from C- to C+
Ferroseed from B- to B
Garbodor from C- to B-
Gorebyss from A- to B+
Gothorita removed (Shadow Tag banned by UU)
Grumpig from D to C-
Klinklang from B- to B
Ludicolo from B+ to B
Mesprit from B+ to A-
Mismagius from A- to B
Pawniard from D to B-
Probopass from C- to C+
Quilladin from B- to C+
Sceptile from A to B+
Spiritomb from A+ to A
Uxie from B+ to A-
Vileplume from A+ to A-
Vullaby from B- to C
Zangoose from A- to B
I would like more debate on the following (anything not listed as a change and not listed here, I downright disagreed with):

Code:
Electivire from unlisted to ???
Pyroar from B+ to A-
Qwilfish from B+ to A-
Scyther from B- to B
Slurpuff from unlisted to S or A+ or A
Xatu from B- to B
I believe Slurpuff should be S, A+, or A at this point in time, and while I will entertain arguments that push for lower, they will have to be incredibly convincing. I am more interested in determining where Slurpuff should land out of anything on this list, so please give your position and back it up, however briefly.

Additionally, Electivire was suggested to be placed somewhere in A, but I disagree with this and will stand to say it has been ineffective if not outright mediocre in every match I have played with and against it. I do not know the ideal placement, but I would like to sort it out shortly. If enough people agree with A~ then ok, but as of now I am more inclined to put it in B.

Lastly, to clear up a misconception I saw when browsing posts or listening to people talk on IRC or PS (I don't remember which) - I would like to make it very clear that I prefer to be very lenient when it comes to moving Pokemon up and down, so often we'll find that you don't agree with where a Pokemon is currently ranked. I understand there will be some favoritism (ie Soulgazer can't stop hyping various shitty Pokemon ~___~) and that Pokemon will bounce between degrees of viability over time, but there is always a reason why a Pokemon was given a spot initially. I would rather be changing the position of Pokemon frequently rather than forcing stupidass discussions all the time and making this a general pain in the neck - if someone disagrees, then they can just post about it and we'll find the right spot.

As always, if you feel the need to make an argument, make it. If you feel I didn't give your suggestion justice, present your evidence and a good argument and I will respond appropriately. Have a nice day!

I can vouch for Pyroar from B+ to A-. But, before anyone brings it up, it is not suited for going up higher than A- or lower than B+. Pyraor sits at a great Speed tier of 106, backed by a SpA stat of 109. Plus, Pyroar has strong STAB moves in Fire Blast and Hyper Voice, which are only resisted by Rock-types and a select few other Pokemon. It can run either Life Orb or Choice Specs sets, both equally as viable. Please, for the love of all that is good, do not mention Moxie, it does not add to Pyroar's viability because frankly it is just unviable. Anyways, it's a surprisingly decent Slurpuff check because Unnerve means it cannot activate its Sitrus Berry and it can OHKO with either Fire Blast or Hyper Voice, this is always cool. I prefer Life Orb variants overall, as the ability to switch moves is greatly appreciated, and especially using Will-O-Wisp. I've been using Pyroar a lot and can wholeheartedly agree with moving it up to A-.

When I first thought about it I was saying Slurpuff should be A but it could actually be A+.

• It has a lot of movesets, so unless you're switching it in as a counter you would never really know.
  • Belly Drum set on a check could finish games with only one setup move and double speed.
  • Calm Mind set gives it the SpD buff and if health drops enough Sitrus activates and almost signals it to start sweeping.
  • It could even be a cleric similar to vileplume because of the defensive typing and fighting resist (barring the effect spore hax lel).
The only reason I wouldn't say S is because it's not quite meta shifting. I don't see it on every team, most teams have at least some kind of fairy coverage, it's not a direct counter to many things, and jeez that movepool is pretty physically bad, and Calm Mind set can't really make use of it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Electivire deserves B Rank imo.

It has nice coverage and its Speed is decent enough to be somewhat annoying to slower teams, and it hits decently hard when needed. I tried a physically based mixed set with Wild Charge / EQ / Flamethrower / Ice Punch and it wasn't shabby, although it's rather weak and misses out on a lot of KOs. It also has a nice ability in Motor Drive which allows it to switch in on Thunder Waves for free. It was decent as a mixed attacker with good coverage and can perform, although because it's rather weak and is kinda slow I don't think it deserves higher than B, though that's a fitting rank because with some support it can work. I ran it with heavy hazards and it didn't do terribly.

I already stated my stance on Slurpuff so one could look back like two pages to see.

In my opinion, Slurpuff should sit A/A+. It is a fucking amazing mon that has very little opportunity cost and offers the chance for high reward. It has many offensive and defensive options, a array of useful resistances, and therefore has an easy time setting up. On top of this, it has an amazing ability in Unburden, allowing it to boost itself to amazing heights in speed.
Offensively, Slurpuff is a beast. It can go both physically and specially, and while is most commonly seen setting up, can also take advantage of its bulk to be a nice offensive tank. Physically, whie it has little to no coverage, Slurpuff packs an amazing move in Belly Drum. With its bulk and resistances as well as Unburden + Sitrus, BD can pull Slurpuff into a range where even resisted Play Roughs will OHKO a lot of the metagame. Specially, its Calm Mind set can be both very offensive and very defensive, where it can set up offensively with amazing coverage in Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, Surf, Energy Ball, etc. and again, get a big unburden boost. On top of this, it also acts as a great revenge killer, especially if spikes are up it can switch in twice, get unburden up, and revenge.
Defensively, Slurpuff is also a very strong pokemon. Using wish, it can act as a very solid check to monsters such as Gurdurr and Sawk, switching into them, and unlike Granbull, being able to recover itself well. It can also heal the rest of its team with a reliable Aromatherapy, supporting the team with health and clerical support. A defensive CM set can also be used with max defense, to act as a bulky setup sweeper with Draining Kiss, using things such as RestoChesto to also take back some health.
While Slurpuff is a big threat, it isn't perfect, keeping it away from S Rank. Its Belly Drum set is horrifically weak to status. It is unable to setup on anything with Will-O, TWave, etc. which are all very common in the meta. On top of this, it leaves itself often <50% and because of that it becomes weak to even resisted priority, which can be taken advantage of. Scarfers over base 100 Spe [Mismagius, Pyroar, Tauros] also revenge Adamant versions [The most common], making Slurpuff not as threatning. It is also not going to ohko all of the metagame, as pokemon such as Weezing, Vileplume, Klinklang, and Probopass can tank a hit well and proceed to revenge the threat. Defensively, while Slurpuff has nice support options, it still has crippling weaknesses, and it frankly doesn't have the best defensive stats, or for that matter any good stats at all.
Overall, Slurpuff is a major threat, but even with such it has crippling flaws that prevent it every match, and can be dealt with using many common checks. It frankly is one of NU's best mons, but can be stopped. A/A+ imo

I'm going to come in here and vouch for electivire being B+/ A-seeing as no one else will.
Electivire has outstanding coverage, with access to a physical version of bolt beam (Ice punch/ stab wildcharge) along with access to earthquake, crosschop, and a plethoria of special moves. 123 physical attack is something to be feared, and god forbid some idiot tries to paralyze something else on your team and it comes in to soak up an electric type move to get that motor drive boost. With it's 95 speed being at +1, it can out speed most of the tier, not to mention that whatever it hits is going to take a huge chunk of it's health. While it doesn't have any sort of way to boost it's physical attack outside of items (this is probably why it dropped down in the first place) life orb wild charges hurts a lot. Concerning other members of NU, electivire one hits feraligator, one hits shiftry, two hits vileplume... You see where this is going. Honestly, I was laughing when electivire got lowered down to nu, because it is just such a heavy hitter and nothing wants to mess with it.

Overall, electivire should be something like B+/A- because while it doesn't like taking hits and it isn't the fastest, it is still a top tier threat that will, without a doubt, be able to get at least one KO

E-vire is a B/B+ mon in my opinion. It is by no means a bad pokemon at all, It has good attack and speed with a useable special attack stat to boot. It even has amazing coverage. So why is it only B? Because Its the epitome of mediocrity. It does nothing extremely well, nor does it do anything bad. Most of the time it falls short of crucial ko's by a couple of percent every game I have used it. Though It does do pretty well with hazards on the field mostly because it shaves off those extra percents that it needs to do well. Despite that its main physical stab isn't really good due to the massive recoil, and the special T-bolt is whats missing the ko's so you have a choice which you would rather have. Its not the fastest either but its speed tier is still pretty good. All of that said It fits the B description pretty well.
Evire isn't a bad pokemon, just extremely mediocre giving it a B rating since it needs a good amount of team support.

Hello, I'm new to the Forum, so bear with me lol.

I would like to Suggest/Support Electivire to A-.

It can swap into any Electric Pokemon, and as it has access to Earthquake, can deal a lot of damage to them:

eg
252+ Atk Electivire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Electivire Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 254-300 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after (Stealth Rock and) Leftovers recovery.

It also has a nice coverage as well, with Fighting, Ice and Fire moves under it's arsenal, and although I tend to not go for recoil moves on a Pokemon, it does have the nice STAB of Wild Charge (personally I go for Thunderpunch instead).
With an Air Balloon it can avoid any Ground type threat to begin with, able to use Ice Punch.

However it does have weaknesses, Seismitoad is a pretty good check as Electivire lacks the movepool to deal with it. However HP Grass is sufficient to deal enough damage:
0- SpA Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 192-228 (46.3 - 55%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So it is an option to run HP Grass, even with no investments into SpAttack and an Adamant nature, and with an Air Balloon, could defeat it 1v1 - a mixed attacker would be able to.

It can also deal with the top tier threats of Shiftry and Vileplume with Ice/Fire Punch, although it may not be able to deal with Vileplume (2HKO, but not factoring in if Vileplume uses Giga Drain, which is a 79% chance to 2HKO, or Giga Drain + Sludge Bomb, which is a guaranteed 2HKO) - especially if the Vileplume has defence investments - then Ice Punch may become a 3HKO)

As I am not quite too knowledgeable on every NU Pokemon, there may be much better counters. For example Granbull, as Electivire contains no good Steel/Poison Moves, and Slurpuff can can also set up on it.

However, since it can gain lots of momentum when switching in against an Electric-type move, and well as its wide movepool, I believe that it should be A-, I would be fine with B+ as well.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Rotom-Fan for B -> B+

Tyrone (Rotom-Fan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-Fan should be in the same if not a better rank than basic Rotom. Fan doubles as a revenge killer and offensive pivot thanks to its good bulk, typing, and sp. atk. Air Slash is a great STAB that can revenge kill common bulky pokemon such as Quilladin, Gurdurr, Exeggutor, and Gourgeist. With scarf, it can take out other fast threats, like Accelgor, Sceptile, and Sawk. Scarf Rotom-Fan acts a lot like Fletchinder in this aspect. Additionally, good bulky stats and typing + Volt Switch make it good for aiding Guts users like Ursaring and Zangoose.

hi ppl I've got a few more changes I would like to see.

Slurpuff for A+ Rank
  • Arguably more versatile than any other Pokemon in the tier with 4 different viable sets. BD, Offensive CM, defensive CM, and support.
  • BD cleans bulky teams as soon as steel types are weakened
  • Offensive CM cleans more offensive teams
  • Defensive CM cleans whatever it wants other than full stall
  • Support is nifty but i dont see it much
  • Fairy typing is great, it doesn't mind being knocked off cause that means it can sometimes just sweep there :)
  • Surprisingly decent bulk for a sweeper

Electivire for B+ Rank
  • Decent speed tier, a little slow, but good enough to take on most slow threats.
  • Great coverage, nothing is really completely safe from electivire :)
  • Let down by being a little weak, needs a bit of residual damage to get most of the KOs it wants to
  • 4MSS also sucks, I want to run Tbolt / Cross Chop / EQ / HP Grass / Flamethrower / HP Ice. But only get 4 :(

Archeops for A+ Rank
  • Again, its incredibly versatile. Can be a SR lead, cleaner, decent scarfer if youre desperate, wallbreaker. Hell it could probably be a decent wall if it wanted to (dont try it)
  • SR Lead is one of the most consistent setters in NU, Taunt + SR + Endeavor + Head Smash can really make a mess out of offensive teams
  • Other offensive sets include LO set (no acrobatics, but super strong stone edge), itemless sets (for acrobatics).
  • Basically, archeops can pick and choose its checks, it can run HP Grass for Toad if it wants too, and some other coverage move for basically anything that can wall it (except maybe Granbull)
  • Best offensive stats in NU make me think it deserves A+ rank, its a threat at all points in the match, even when defeatist kicks in its still pretty strong :O

Get Leafeon, Pawniard,
hi ppl I've got a few more changes I would like to see.

Slurpuff for A+ Rank
  • Arguably more versatile than any other Pokemon in the tier with 4 different viable sets. BD, Offensive CM, defensive CM, and support.
  • BD cleans bulky teams as soon as steel types are weakened
  • Offensive CM cleans more offensive teams
  • Defensive CM cleans whatever it wants other than full stall
  • Support is nifty but i dont see it much
  • Fairy typing is great, it doesn't mind being knocked off cause that means it can sometimes just sweep there :)
  • Surprisingly decent bulk for a sweeper

Electivire for B+ Rank
  • Decent speed tier, a little slow, but good enough to take on most slow threats.
  • Great coverage, nothing is really completely safe from electivire :)
  • Let down by being a little weak, needs a bit of residual damage to get most of the KOs it wants to
  • 4MSS also sucks, I want to run Tbolt / Cross Chop / EQ / HP Grass / Flamethrower / HP Ice. But only get 4 :(

Archeops for A+ Rank
  • Again, its incredibly versatile. Can be a SR lead, cleaner, decent scarfer if youre desperate, wallbreaker. Hell it could probably be a decent wall if it wanted to (dont try it)
  • SR Lead is one of the most consistent setters in NU, Taunt + SR + Endeavor + Head Smash can really make a mess out of offensive teams
  • Other offensive sets include LO set (no acrobatics, but super strong stone edge), itemless sets (for acrobatics).
  • Basically, archeops can pick and choose its checks, it can run HP Grass for Toad if it wants too, and some other coverage move for basically anything that can wall it (except maybe Granbull)
  • Best offensive stats in NU make me think it deserves A+ rank, its a threat at all points in the match, even when defeatist kicks in its still pretty strong :O
By running Munchlax Doll on EVire you get 6 moveslots, so 4mss isn't an issue bb <3

Supporting the first two of these moves except Archeops, which I feel has enough flaws to be A rank. It is absolutely amazing being able to run epic offensive sets with special, physical, and mixes, great support, and its having the best offensive stats in NU makes it pack a punch with great coverage moves. This said, once it is well scouted it is pretty easily dealt with, and it simply is too frail + its stupid ability to justify a top of NU ranking imo.

On Another Topic some Moves that I want
1. Pawniard from D to C - Defiant, Great Resistances, Good Bulk, Solid Strength and Priority
2. Leafeon from D to C- - SD Pass, Good Bulk, MonoGrass has good Resistances, Can go Defensive / Offensive, Chlorophyll
3. Regice from D to C+ - BoltBeam Coverage, Great Bulk, Solid Offensive Presence, can Sweep w/ RP if need be
4. Garbodor from C- to B- - Simply amazing, can actually beat set-up slurpuffs, checks non-eq fighting types extremely well, reliable hazard stacker, can run coverage such as Seed Bomb or Rock Blast / Explosion, good Bulk
5. Qwilladin from B- to C+ - It has too much competition from Ferroseed, and just isn't as reliable as some other Spikes Stackers and has common weaknesses to exploit

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Haunter for C+ -> B/B-

Tyrone (Haunter) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

Haunter is a great versatile threat thanks to its already decent speed, high Special Attack stat, colorful movepool, and useful STAB options. It has the potential to successfully run a Substitute + Disable set, Life Orb, or the scarf set shown above. The scarf set can turn Haunter into a powerhouse, suicide fodder, or [insert term that refers to shutting down a wall by tricking a choice item on it] all at once.

edit:

Honedge for unlisted to C-

Tyrone (Honedge) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Eviolite + 100 base defense isn't too shabby
Despite being but a lowly LC pokemon, Honedge does find a niche among the infamous powerhouses of NU. Honedge, with its great NU-unique typing, can work well as a switch-in. As a lure, a supposedly weak LC pokemon can lure in something like a Magmortar to use Fire Blast right into a waiting Flash Fire Flareon. Additionally, assuming Honedge isn't dead already, it can be used as a deadly Swords Dance priority sweeper. However, it can't take any specially offensive hits most of the time, and requires proper team support to not be shit.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141493476 (skip to 24)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141491620 (skip to 15)

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff

I think this would probably fit best in A. It's strong and versatile and all but you really can't deny it needs a substantial amount of support--it's reliant on setup to be threatening which is a problem as BD causes recoil while CM needs multiple boosts to sweep, which makes it easy to pressure (and you're not sweeping with an unboosted Puff unless your opponent is reeaaally weakened lol). It also really wants the most optimal conditions when it's trying to sweep, i.e. hazards off the field, all counters removed, perhaps screens set up (though this one isn't as necessary), and a free switch-in, which makes it pretty reliant on its teammates to provide these conditions. This is only augmented by the fact that it only gets one shot to sweep, which puts even more pressure on it to make use of its rather limited setup turns (and yes, they are limited). Its typing and bulk are usable enough so that it ~can~ set up at all, but there's very little times where you're going to find more than one setup opportunity with it (and even if it does find a setup opportunity, it still can't even abuse it until its counters are all removed .-.). And even after that, it's still not all that hard to bring it down to the point where some decently strong priority (even resisted) will take it out, which doesn't justify such a high rank like S or A+ imo. Oh and the support set is decent enough on certain teams but it's even weaker that the others and still pretty easy to pressure b/c it's not ~that~ bulky and vulnerable to Spikes :[

Honedge for unlisted to C-

Tyrone (Honedge) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Eviolite + 100 base defense isn't too shabby
Despite being but a lowly LC pokemon, Honedge does find a niche among the infamous powerhouses of NU. Honedge, with its great NU-unique typing, can work well as a switch-in. As a lure, a supposedly weak LC pokemon can lure in something like a Magmortar to use Fire Blast right into a waiting Flash Fire Flareon. Additionally, assuming Honedge isn't dead already, it can be used as a deadly Swords Dance priority sweeper. However, it can't take any specially offensive hits most of the time, and requires proper team support to not be shit.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141493476 (skip to 24)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141491620 (skip to 15)
I haven't used Honedge, so I'm not going to question its viability atm, but I think you're going to need much better reasoning/replays to support your nomination. Both were honestly bad battles (I personally don't understand the logic behind using Topsy-Turvy then Foul Play on Malamar tbh). And in the second one Honedge doesn't do anything; acting as a "lure" and baiting a Fire Pokemon to use a Fire move on a Steel-type isn't enough to get a C- ranking imo. Otherwise let's rank Sunkern and every other LC Pokemon for achieving the same thing.

xzern

for sure
I haven't used Honedge, so I'm not going to question its viability atm, but I think you're going to need much better reasoning/replays to support your nomination. Both were honestly bad battles (I personally don't understand the logic behind using Topsy-Turvy then Foul Play on Malamar tbh). And in the second one Honedge doesn't do anything; acting as a "lure" and baiting a Fire Pokemon to use a Fire move on a Steel-type isn't enough to get a C- ranking imo. Otherwise let's rank Sunkern and every other LC Pokemon for achieving the same thing.
damn you and your damn logic
going to edit this post with more replays when I get back from the doctor

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141551660
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141553751
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141555635
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-141556955

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
damn you and your damn logic
going to edit this post with more replays when I get back from the doctor
don't bother, they're not going to be very convincing. honestly just use pawniard: it has better typing, a better ability, stronger priority, higher attack, higher speed and stab knock off. pawniard also lures out the exact same fire-type pokemon that honedge does, in addition to luring out fighting-type pokemon too.

ps: the point of a lure is to punish the opponent for making a predictable move with some specific kind of Pokemon, opening up a member on your team. your honedge did bait two fire-types... and then you promptly lost all your momentum because that flareon set was a weak wishpass variety. there also didnt appear to be much on your team that needed fire-type pokemon gone save honedge, which is kind of silly.

Gurdurr for A or A+

Bulk up guts Gurdurr is such a huge threat in NU right now. The most effective stop to gurdurr is fully defensive Vileplume and that may be the only viable one at that. The fact that it gets access to drain punch and priority in mach punch is crippling. A +1 drain punch is a guaranteed 2HKO on at least on 3/4 of the physically defensive metagame after SR and Leftys recovery. If you do not have vileplume, or if you allow this thing to +2 attack, you are done. I'm a little biased in this matter so I would love some arguments against my rationale.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gurdurr for A or A+

Bulk up guts Gurdurr is such a huge threat in NU right now. The most effective stop to gurdurr is fully defensive Vileplume and that may be the only viable one at that. The fact that it gets access to drain punch and priority in mach punch is crippling. A +1 drain punch is a guaranteed 2HKO on at least on 3/4 of the physically defensive metagame after SR and Leftys recovery. If you do not have vileplume, or if you allow this thing to +2 attack, you are done. I'm a little biased in this matter so I would love some arguments against my rationale.
With Knock Off going around everywhere, it really doesn't want to switch in on pokemon it would otherwise check nicely like Shiftry and even Pawniard. In addition, pokemon that can stop it such as Vileplume, Qwilfish, and more are everywhere in the tier. There are also just too many offensive pokemon that can simply overwhelm it, such as Acrobatics Archeops and Specs Dragalge.
Someone before me said that once it gets going, it can sweep many teams, but it is simply too difficult to get going.
At least it no longer has to deal with Gothorita :)
The rise of Combusken is also unfortunate for it, as it is another bulky fighting type that can set up and sweep much more easily and can Baton Pass to teammates, though Gurdurr is much bulkier.
I think Gurdurr is fine in B+.

Last edited:
Dusknoir for Unlisted to D

Poor Dusknoir, most people judge that he's outclasses by his Pre-evo, then why should we place Dusknoir in D?
It's true that Dusclops gets higher defenses, but he doesn't have the offensive presence of Dusknoir.
It may be true that Dusclops also outclasses Dusknoir when it comes to defensive sets.

BUT...

Dusknoir as a small niche in NU as a Bulky Bank with Trick ( Even w/out Trick, that can work too i guess ).
Dusknoir gets nice 100 Base Stat Attack, which is pretty nice in NU.
Dusknoir may be outclassed by Spiritomb as a Trick Band Pokemon, but Dusknoir's physical movepool is much better.
With moves like Earthquake, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Focus Punch, and elemental punches, Dusknoir is able to deal significant damages against many pokemons in NU.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 270-320 (103 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Archeops: 316-374 (108.5 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 222-264 (92.1 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 392-462 (124.8 - 147.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 328-386 (98.2 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dusknoir for Unlisted to D

Poor Dusknoir, most people judge that he's outclasses by his Pre-evo, then why should we place Dusknoir in D?
It's true that Dusclops gets higher defenses, but he doesn't have the offensive presence of Dusknoir.
It may be true that Dusclops also outclasses Dusknoir when it comes to defensive sets.

BUT...

Dusknoir as a small niche in NU as a Bulky Bank with Trick ( Even w/out Trick, that can work too i guess ).
Dusknoir gets nice 100 Base Stat Attack, which is pretty nice in NU.
Dusknoir may be outclassed by Spiritomb as a Trick Band Pokemon, but Dusknoir's physical movepool is much better.
With moves like Earthquake, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Focus Punch, and elemental punches, Dusknoir is able to deal significant damages against many pokemons in NU.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 270-320 (103 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Archeops: 316-374 (108.5 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 222-264 (92.1 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 392-462 (124.8 - 147.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dusknoir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 328-386 (98.2 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
There's not really a reason to use Dusknoir, as it is outclassed at everything it does.
It is essentially a worse Golurk if you want to use it offensively, and a worse Spiritomb if you use it defensively.
Banded Spiritomb is not really used for its ability to break through walls, but it easily beats a lot of offensive and defensive threats with a combination of strong priority, Pursuit, and Trick (though I would argue Black Glasses with WoW is better). While it has worse defenses, it has a much better typing and utility.
I would argue that Dusknoir is the defining E-rank mon.
If anything, I would move Dusclops (who is almost just as bad) to Unranked.
EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Smogon! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)