CAP 19 CAP 19 - TL and TLT Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We've been renewed for another season. Huzzah!

This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become either the Topic Leader (TL) or a member of the Topic Leadership Team (TLT) for this creation project (CAP 19). Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become the TL or a TLT member, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring.

We are looking to fill the following five positions to help us lead the creation of this new Pokemon:
  • Topic Leader: In the public's eyes, this is the leader of the project. They will create the slate for Concept Submissions and serve as a general timekeeper. Overall, the goal of the TL is "quality control", not "project control". The responsibilities of the TL include running Concept Assessment, Threats Discussion, and finalizing the slates of TLT members.
  • Topic Leadership Team: The TLT will be leading the four major competitive aspects of creating a Pokemon. They will make slates for their respective threads and provide meaningful discussion points to their specific area. Note that TLT members are allowed to make submissions during stages of the CAP process that they are not actively leading. We are looking to fill the following four positions:
    • Typing Leader
    • Ability Leader
    • Stats Leader
    • Movepool Leader

When making your application, please indicate which position(s) you are applying for. You must identify whether you're applying for TL or TLT (you are allowed to apply for both). You are allowed to specific which position you'd like to fill on the TLT, but it is not required. Topic leaders and TLT members should have the following qualifications:
  • NEW: Timeliness; each leader must be able to commit the time to active leadership
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community

Once this CAP starts, the Topic Leader and the Topic Leadership Team will be the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the creation process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence the project. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on the project until it is complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide onsite and the CAP Process Archive subforum, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the CAP 19 Topic Leader or TLT member.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Candidates must have been actively involved through the entire duration of the most recent CAP project. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on IRC.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look as though you don't know what you're talking about. A thoughtful and intelligent community leader should be capable of typing at a level above typical internet banter.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as TL or TLT for this project will be on the watch list for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.

If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

Best of luck to all applicants! Let's start this generation with a bang.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It appears I will set the pace here; it may be a long shot but I will give it my best.

Good afternoon everybody, I am wh0sy0urpapa, and I am specifically applying for the Stats Leader position of the TLT.

I have been playing the CAP metagame ever since the inception of Aurumoth, but I have never actively participated in a CAP project until Volkraken. On the PS server, over two accounts, I have played countless CAP matches throughout my career, racking up over 800 wins and reaching 4th on the ladder at one point. I am very proud of the building process that went along with Volkraken, as I learned countless new things about the new Pokémon that we received in XY, and made a splash on the UU ladder accordingly. My casual playing career dates back to generation 4, where I first discovered Pokémon by finding a Diamond game in a parking lot that a kid named Billy had apparently dropped, and it still continues today.

I feel that I have the knowledge to help the TLT with the Stats section in particular, as I have demonstrated wisdom in this area by submitting the runner-up stat spread for Volkraken, losing only to Alexwolf, another well-respected Smogon veteran. In a way, participating in CAP has helped me grow not only as a battler, but as a person as well. In the beginning, as PttP and The Pizza Man can attest, I posted a bit like a n00b and spoke my opinion when I really shouldn't have. While that may understandably be a red flag on my resumé, I have matured a lot and now know when it is appropriate to speak out. I know that I can monitor and control myself in that regard, and if elected to the TLT, I will make the utmost care to do so, as a leader must only make a disagreement when it is impartial, and when they know what they are talking about.

Whenever there comes any sort of event that I must lead, I remained dedicated to it from start to finish, making it a priority for myself and for the others involved. Such could be said about my Eagle Scout Project that my Boy Scout Troop and I undertook two years ago. My dedication and knowledge of the project, careful overseeing of the entire process, and the respect among my fellow Scouts all contributed to making my Eagle Project a success. Now, a CAP process is far different from a service project, but in a sense they both fall along the same lines, and I am ready to share what I learned about leadership with the CAP team.

Fingers crossed, and may the best candidate win.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From out of the depths I ascend once again.

Deck Knight's the name, Graybeard's the game. I've been active in the CAP project since the very first one back in Generation 4, and have been graciously elected both Topic Leader of Mollux and a TLT member for Malaconda. My leadership has been tried and tested, and I am willing to take on the mantle of leadership again for our second XY generation CAP as either Topic Leader or any TLT section that may need filling.

I have a deep trust for the community and enjoy the engagement of the CAP process. It is my hope I can earn your trust again, and we can step further into this generation's metagame together. It has always been an honor to lead this community or any endeavor I have been placed in, and I hope to deliver on my promise again.

On an overall thread note: Certainly, do not be afraid to sign up for any position, even or especially Topic Leader. You will always have my support and the community's support.

Last edited:

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hello CAP! This is your friendly neighborhood DarkSlay here, applying for the Topic Leadership Team. This time, I will be applying for the Topic Leader position, as well as a spot on the Topic Leadership Team (specifically the Typing Leader or the Ability Leader).

First off, a brief history of how I began my involvement within the Competitive Pokemon community, and then how I subsequently joined the Create-A-Pokemon team shortly after. In August of 2009, I made a life-altering decision to drop my then-current plans to attend college to ultimately become a lawyer and embark on a magical journey to become a Pokemon Master. When I learned that both a Pokemon Master in real life earns money by forcing innocent children to pay for losing and that such a thing as a "Pokemon Master" actually does not exist, I took the next closest step and signed up on Smogon. After about a year on the forums, I stumbled upon the Create-A-Pokemon boards, and since then I have been an active member of the community. Here's a small sampling of my previous work:
  • Multiple submissions during projects since CAP 10 of Gen IV and multiple submissions slated, including a second place finish for Voodoom's movepool.
  • Participated in almost every CAP since Krilowatt as an active and productive member of the community.
  • Selected to be the ATL for Necturna.
  • Was a member of the TLT (Movepool) for the Cawmodore project.
  • hOPs in both the IRC #cap room and CAP's Showdown! room.
  • Secretary for CAP's successful spin-off CAP ASB.
It's no secret that CAP holds a special place in my Smogon career, and I have always understood both the joys these projects give to the community and the valuable lessons about the competitive metagame that each and every project teaches us. As either the TL or a member of the TLT, I will put forth the utmost effort in providing the community with a successful CAP creation to the best of my abilities, as I wish to give back to the project as much as CAP has given me all of these years. I look forward to participating in yet another insightful and fun CAP process!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was going to apply for the next CAP but I figured I have nothing to lose applying now :)

I have been a log time lurker in CAP, but after participating in the last CAP project, I can safely say that I really love it. It was actually the main reason I made a forums account, but that's beside the point. So a history of CAP for me: I submitted a concept for what eventually became Volkraken (it admittedly wasn't too good), and though it wasn't slated, I decided to stick around to see how I liked it. Onto the concept assessment, I was excited to see what the CAP would become. I'd like to say I was a significant part of choosing a Fire / Water typing (but who am I to judge that?) Even more pumped that my ability of choice was chosen, I was ready for abilities. Abilities was a lot of fun because it essentially paved the way for the rest of the CAP, giving us limitations and a good, competitive aspect to build off of.

Well that's just a small history, and I outlined typing and ability because it is what I'm applying for!!

I don't have many credentials, but here are some reasons I am worth consideration:

I love playing Pokemon despite my siblings constantly annoying me for it.
  • I offer "new blood" to the community as I am not exactly new, but I offer new opinions and ideas. I'm not some old CAP veteran who we've all seen before.
  • I'm a fun loving guy and I will also do my best to make this an effective CAP. Like I always tell people, I'm fun when I can be, serious when I need to be.
  • I love working with people. This may just be because I'm smart, but in school I am often singled out as a leader.
  • When I'm bored and have some free time, I read Doug's really long policy review threads (this is not a lie) including the thread on ability discussions; one of the reasons I feel qualified to lead that.
In terms of requirements for TLT
  • Timeliness: It's summer, I have a lot of free time, and when I'm not home I have a phone (forums and IRC yay).
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon: I am a decent player and heavily active in the UU subforum as well as RU to an extent.
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy, and philosophy as practiced within Smogon: Of course!
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others: I guess some would say I voice my opinion a little too much... But yes, of course I am.
  • Open minded to new ideas: This is is basically the foundation of CAP, so that is a yes.
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker: Yes.
  • Good writing skills: I am not a fan of the old CAP tl;dr, but yes.
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes: Yes.
  • Like and respected by the CAP community: This is a bit more subjective, but I am not really disrespected, so I guess that's a good place to start :)

That's basically it! If I don't get elected, expect to see me back next time. The best luck to all and may the best man win :)

P.s. if you didn't notice, I am a :) enthusiast

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hihi, ginganinja here

I think I can call myself a CAP regular now, having been involved in the CAP process for a while now, posting and creating discussion threads in the PRC and being a TLT member last CAP, which I found to be very engaging. I would consider myself a special snowflake, and am involved in various other parts of the site, such as Circus, C&C and OU, so if anyone had questions I'm sure I could give someone a hand. I am hoping to apply for a TLT position, which ideally speaking would not be movepool, because I did that last round, but I would handle the position if other people had personal preferences towards other positions.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Applying for Ability Leader, Stats Leader, Typing Leader, and Movepool Leader, in order of preference.

I have been around since the beginning of Malaconda, which means i have participated in three full CAPs processes (with good posting activity and quality on all three CAPs), which gives me a pretty in-depth overall understanding of the CAP, its goal, and its process. I am also a decent XY OU player that is related with multiple other areas of Smogon, such as the Overused forum (Mod, TC, and CC badges), OU C&C (Cont badge), and even other tiers a bit, such as UU and RU to have a better perspective of competitive Pokemon in general. Oh and i also have a winning stat spread submission (for Volkraken), while i have submitted stat spreads for all three CAPs. For all those reasons, i think i could successfully lead any of the CAP steps which i applied for.

tl;dr I rock, pick me :D

Last edited:
Salt here, applying for a position on the Topic Leadership Team. While I have only participated in one CAP fully (the most recent one), my interest and knowledge of CAP dates back to Mollux. I spent an extremely long time lurking and learning the process before I made an account, and considered the first CAP of this generation my golden opportunity to jump in and get involved. I don't really have much to say about my history on Smogon other than the fact that I post infrequently in places like OU and Cong, and generally like to choose my words carefully. My contributions to CAP include concept and stat submissions for Volkraken, and, most notably, a movepool that won second place. I've been told that is a significant achievement for one's first CAP. As for positions I'm willing to fill, I'd prefer to lead movepool or stats but I'm flexible and can lead the other sections if I would need to. I feel ready to try and be a leader after spending so much time watching, and I hope you'll give this up and coming user a chance to prove his worth!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Hi guys I'm Pwnemon. I'm applying for TL and all four TLT positions (preference of typing -> stats -> abilities -> movepool).

I've been participating actively in CAP since Necturna, which would make this my seventh CAP. I was the Abilities TL for Cawmodore. I have neither job nor school nor sport nor life to take up my time until I go to college in over a month and Smogon is my one love so I promise I can be timely (unless I get movepool). I've been playing Overused since 2009 and though I mostly play Doubles now, I am well-acquainted with battling concepts, can play Pokemon at the SPL competitive level, and have a working knowledge of the XY OU competitive metagame. As for my leadership abilities, the Doubles community trusted me to be their leader and you can too!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey y'all, I'm here to apply to be on the TLT once more. After being the Stats TLT for what became Volkraken, I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply for the next CAP or take a break. However, recently receiving the CAP Contributor badge, along with ginganinja and DarkSlay above, gave me the needed motivation to get off my butt and write my nomination. Just like my nomination for last CAP, my preferred sections are Abilities first and Typing second, though I hope you think I did a pretty good job on Stats last time, even if I hadn't asked for it.

I led our PRC revamp of the ability banlist entering XY because that section is usually my favorite. Also, if you look back at Volkraken's Secondary Ability thread, you'd notice that the list of abilities I proposed was identical to the list that was slated (plus the automatically included no competitive ability). Leading typing on the other hand requires general metagame knowledge, and, as evidenced by my 8 votes in suspect tests, I'm more than sufficiently knowledgeable.

I would be honored to be voted into the TLT for the second time in a row, but at the same time I think we have a good crop of users here should you go a different way and there isn't a wrong way to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)