Eevee Friendly

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had some rather unfortunate hax, so I only just broke a 1700 rating and went 22-8. Despite that, I had a lot of fun! I'll post a fuller analysis of the metagame when Im feeling a bit better, but let me just say this: I feel like Sylveon and Leafeon were the real dark horses of this tournament!

I started the first day off with a 7-3 record and then day 2 and 3 fell to crap. 4-5 on day 2 and 3-7 on day 3.

Including 4 losses in a row to finish day 3, all JPN trainers.

My problem is when I brought a team that needed to setup, my opponent status my entire team with like Yawn. I had Refresh Umbreon to deal with Sync Burn and Toxic.

I wish I had Torment/Taunt on Umbreon or a Roar user.

Echoed Voice flat out killed me, which I tested Echoed Voice and it did not work in testing so I dropped it.

Cute Charm/Attract Sylveon was a pain.

This was my first Rotation battle ever.

Does anyone know,

what the most common SPD EVs for a Sylveon in the Eevee Friendly were?
I saw some Sylveon that were faster than my Flareon, which I had set at 55 speed, 2 points higher than no EVs in Speed.

So I am assuming most people invest SPD EVs into Jolteon, Espeon, Leafeon, and only a point or 2 in any other build.

Looking on Showdown I think at level 30 236 HP / 196 DEF / 76 SPD and a Bold Nature would give the best bulk and SPD to setup a Calm Mind sweeper.

I know the Eevee Friendly is over, but I am trying to dissect Pokémon that gave me fits in the challenge.

One of the scariest team comps I saw was curse toxic orb flareon + focus sash trick room espeon. I saw it twice, and both times Flareon completely swept me.

I also got swept by resttalk curse return Sylveon one since I was running toxic stall.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cant say Echoed Voice resets upon rotating if that helps.r
Wait really? I read about it's mechanics on Serebii and Bulbapedia and they made it sound like it didn't. It would make sense since I was never doing as much damage as I thought I should be, but I was taking a lot in return... Anyway, unfortunately I was only able to play 11 games total, I ended up getting really sick so I spent all weekend pretty much sleeping, tried to binge a tonne of games on the last night but I was dead so gave up. I still managed to get 8-3 and weirdly enough all my games were against people ranked 1650+, my first game at 1500 I played someone with a 1780 rating. I didn't run into any Yawn or Wish antics, it was pretty much all either Echoed Voice or physical Sylveon. There was a fair bit of Toxic running around though but I luckily predicted almost all of them and bounced it back with Espeon. Even though I only played a few games they all felt really challenging to me, it was really interesting just how much versatility the meta could have being restricted to 9 Pokemon and their crap movepools. I'm disappointed because I spent ages building my team (far cry from saying I was just gonna have fun and try to win with Eevee) and felt I could have ended with a good record, so I'm gonna post my team anyway

Espeon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
114 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Speed
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power Bug
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Leafeon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scizzor
- Return

Flareon @ Heat Rock
Ability: Flash Fire
Brave Nature
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SDef
- Flare Blitz
- Sunny Day
- Return
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Sylveon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
252 SAtk / 252 speed
- Echoed Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Eevee @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptibility
Brave Nature
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Protect
- Last Resort
-
-

Jolteon @ Metronome
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
34 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 speed
- Echoed Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Yawn

So I originally had Espeon with Trick Room + 3 attacks so I could go on a Flareon and Eevee Sweep. Problem was that when I practiced with it on Battle Spot, having both of them in my lead 3 would prompt a lot of Baby-Doll Eyes spam, and Espeon just didn't have the power to take out things like Vaporeon and Flareon (the main culprits). After more practice I got totally destroyed by a 3 consisting of Espeon (screen setter), Vaporeon (sun setter) and Leafeon (sweeper) and so I decided that was the ultimate combo and I was gonna rip it off. The only thing I figured that would stop it is opposing Leafeon as it threatens the whole side with Lead Blade + X-Scizzor, so I swapped Vappy for Flareon which could stop it and opposing Flareon. The Espeon build is far from perfect, I bred it with HP bug (thanks Age of Kings for the parents) for the attacking set to give it coverage against opposing Espeon, Leafeon and Flareon, but dropped the other attacks for screens instead. I kept Trick Room on it which came in handy for bluffing Leafeon sweeps and instead going to town with Flareon (mostly against opposing Leafeon / Glaceon leads), it also helped when I had Eevee sitting in the back for a late game cleanup. If I could change it I would have put Morning Sun or Wish over HP and moved all the SAtk EVs to bulk. I EV'd it to outrun everything except Jolteon but I speed-tied against a Leafeon so I think I messed up.. Leafeon is standard but I wish I had Quick Attack instead of Return.. Flareon was awesome, lots of bulk and power (even without Guts). My fourth changed depending in what I saw in team preview, it was mostly Sylveon as it could outspeed everything except Jolteon and spam a move; Echoed Voice if I felt I could set up, Hyper Beam if I was desperate, Moonblast to be safe. Psyshock was just filler but I don't really know what else to run.. Eevee is boring old Last Resort spam, it was so fun cleaning a team up under Trick Room! I saw a few Curse+LR which I thought was a good combo too. Jolteon didn't get picked once, it was part of my original Echoed Voice core but I found that didn't work

I lost twice to physical Syleons tat I just couldn't take down, then once to Echoed Voice. I had one battle with a guy who tried to Confuse Ray + Thunder Wave me to death, I was down to just a paralysed, confused, unboosted Leafeon that didn't hit itself or be fully paralyzed once and managed to crit every turn to get the win, it was soooo satisfying. So yeah wish I had played more but whatever, it was fun while it lasted. Easily the cutest meta!

EDIT: yeah that's what I thought. Oh well I think it's a flawed strategy anyway (even though it rekt me lol)

Last edited:
Echoed Voice resets if you use another move or switch out an Eevee. If each Eevee keeps using Echoed Voice it gains power, even if you rotate to another Eevee.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Having both played with and against Echoed Voice, it seems the mechanics are that it resets when you rotate to another Eevee and use a move other than Echoed Voice. rcade216 is correct in that it does increase in power if you rotate to a different Eevee. Kinda lame but a necessary balance imo. It's really great on Sylveon, especially since it can damage things behind Sub (fuck all the Jolteons and Leafeons that thought they could set up on me), it's actually listed on the onsite OU analysis as a testament to its viability and not a thing just limited to this. As demonstrated in the Battle Video I posted, don't run it on anything other than Sylveon though. It's really bad. I wrecked his turn 3 Echoed Voice Jolteon and Espeon with only my Sylveon lol.

Time for the big post-battles analysis and team dumping!

Finished 21-9 but probably barely broke 1650 rating (was 1639 before my last game + win). My peak was ~1680 but I essentially threw some games because I was playing like shit. I didn't intentionally put off my games but it was hardly points farming because all the higher rated players probably finished their matches sooner. Either way, I didn't do terribly since I had no practice and my entire team was the product of theorymoning.

Here is my team, in order of importance to my play:

David Bowie (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Level: 30
EVs: 230 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Echoed Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

MVP by far and brought nearly every game. Specs Xerneas was very fun to play with in the April Friendly and I decided to run the little baby version. Specs Echoed Voice is seriously incredible and swept entire teams on its own on multiple occasions. My last match I had someone repeatedly Protect until it became powerful enough to OHKO his entire team lol. I hardly ever used Moonblast, but it was there for burst if I needed a quick KO. I never understood the Hyper Beam craze especially on account of poor accuracy (as the sole Hyper Beam Sylveon I faced found out before its swift demise) and that you're giving your opponent a free turn for a KO you could've gotten if you were just patient and spent a few more turns setting up a favorable position for you.

The only thing that I didn't realize is that this is base 60 instead of 65, and thus is the second slowest mon in the tier after Eevee itself. Led to a few oops moments and feeling like I wasted those speed EVs but no big deal in the end.

fork road (Espeon) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Brought this every single game as my lead to set up screens. Screens were invaluable to me as they helped me check and outmaneuver SD Leafeon, Flareon, Sylveon, and kept my low health Eevees alive. When screens were down, it was basically a moment of panic since my play decisions were centered on them, and there were a few occasions where Espeon went down on turn 1 and it was an uphill battle for me (I won one game and lost the other two). Espeon herself (from this post) however wasn't terribly when screens were safely up on the field. She could break Sylveon subs and deal some decent damage to Flareon so it could be brought low enough to stall Toxic or revenge, but other than that, she was kept in the background or offered as a late game sacrifice.

elfie! (Leafeon) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Return
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

I forgot about Scope Lens but in the end, Lum Berry was the best accident I could have asked for. Lum Berry saved me from all kinds of situations (and in many allowing me to get an SD in), from recovering from paralysis to get in a kill, eating poison to boost, eating Yawn, and even the one WoW Flareon I faced. I would pick this as the co-king of this tier alongside Sylveon because although it isn't as versatile, it has solid physical defense and a good sweeping repertoire on the physical side that are really rare positive traits to be found amongst Eevees. Unfortunately +2 Jolly was sometimes not enough to punch out enemy Leafeon and really bulky other things but I still prefer having had Lum Berry over Scope Lens.

Fountaine (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 64 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Thank you to Bedlington for the EVs, I really liked them so I had to steal the spread :P

I talked shit about this at first and honestly I originally just put this on the team because I didn't want to run Glaceon or Umbreon and this won out being the sole real Flareon check. This really impressed me with its performance and won me a few games because Toxic Vaporeon dominates the field when there is no Umbreon, Espeon, or Leafeon on the field. Wish was ok, the problem is that nothing else I ran had Protect and so its healing properties were limited to "can it survive the next turn? probably not". Best check to support Sylveon imo, I can buy a few turns against offensive ones due to its incredible bulk as well. I ran Surf over Scald because Leafeon is an unfavorable matchup you don't want to gamble against, Flareon can't be burned, Umbreon burns you right back, and Vaporeon is immune if you get too trigger-happy. Also, I would prefer to maintain Toxic over a burn because of the lack of turn resetting. All in all, I am happy with this set and exceeded expectations.

Summer Wool (Flareon) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Flame Charge

Flareon is a great Pokemon in this tier who is really hard to use and play properly. Toxic Orb and Flame Charge look great on paper but in practice, recoil, poison damage, and the occasional Rocky Helmet made life short for it. As a result, if I expected the game to last somewhat long, I didn't take Flareon. Flareon's best niche is to check the fucking ribbon bastard, Flare Blitz scores an OHKO on most variants. I stuck with Toxic Orb because I didn't want to rely on enemy status and I thought AV wouldn't hit hard enough so idk. It's by no means bad, just this tier's equivalent of 4th/5th gen DDMence.

The EVs given were the most efficient ones I could concoct on my own: 104 Speed outruns Leafeon after a Flame Charge, I forgot about Espeon but I didn't feel it was necessary to run more Speed EVs. Running Adamant with more Speed didn't score any additional OHKOs or 2HKOs so I felt it was more efficient to stick with Jolly instead of Adamant for that extra bulk by spending less EVs in Speed and more in HP.

In the end, I found this unreliable because its sheer fragility means that it often couldn't do the things I wanted it to. Leafeon and Sylveon ended up carrying the offensive burden of the team. Some people ran defensive sets with this, or ones that didn't use Toxic Orb so if there is ever an Eevee tournament again I'll likely experiment with those instead.

be the leaf (Jolteon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Protect

Utter piece of shit, brought this a total of one match out of 30 only to die and only do 40% to everything with LO. I probably should have run a different set but overall, there were almost no situations where running a Jolteon was advantageous. Actually fuck running another set, I should have run Umbreon or AV Glaceon instead.

Some interesting games (with summaries since it would be narcissist of me to expect people to watch all the videos, admit it!):

Already posted the first one but it was still my favorite match:

SBZG-WWWW-WWW8-YXNE
Brought back from the brink of defeat from sloppy playing that cost me Espeon and Leafeon, it was down to 2v4 with my Vaporeon and Sylveon. I managed to eke out a win because Echoed Voice went through sub and KO'd his Leafeon; Vappy tanked an Eevee Double-Edge and Flareon's assaults until they killed themselves with recoil. This match really highlighted Vaporeon's staying power and Sylveon's....strength power. The end part where my Vaporeon Toxi-stalled their Sylveon featured rage-timer stall lol.

5E5G-WWWW-WWW8-YXMS
I successfully defeated a status team featuring the likes of Thunder Jolteon, Attract female Sylveon, and Toxic everything. Thunder paralyzed my Leafeon twice, which was the key to my victory. His Umbreon and Vaporeon couldn't really damage me without Toxic, so I was free to set up SD even if I was fully paralyzed with the help of my poisoned Vaporeon sending out a last minute Wish.

EE6G-WWWW-WWW8-YXN4
Echoed Voice vs Echoed Voice lol. Don't use Echoed Voice on anything other than Sylveon. Then you lose the 1690 rating you worked so hard for.

I only saved one of my losses, there was sloppy playing on my end that wouldn't be interesting to watch at all.

I might type up another analysis talking about what I faced and how I dealt with them but for now I never want to see another fucking Eevee for the rest of my life.
Glad you liked the ev spread ^_^

I lost about 4 battles due to really bad playing on my part. There was one game where I had 2 chances to win and screwed them both up. The first time, I forgot that it was the last turn of trick room and should have just protected with my flareon - if I had I would have swept the remainder of the team. The immediate turn after that, I forgot that I had sunny day set up which I could have swept with leafeon but I forgot about it and used quick attack on the espeon hoping for a crit...

After that fight I kinda just lost interest - I was my own worst enemy!

I'm just curious, did anyone else experience terrible connection? Like I rarely have trouble with my connection and this tournament seemed like after every battle it caused a disconnect while waiting for the next battle.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm just curious, did anyone else experience terrible connection? Like I rarely have trouble with my connection and this tournament seemed like after every battle it caused a disconnect while waiting for the next battle.
I did. I had issues with matchmaking too. No problems with latency in the battles themselves though, so it didn't cause me any d/cing losses.

Also, I wonder when results will be posted because it's 7:30pm PST July 17th and my time zone is later than most of the world. They didn't make any announcements so maybe some technical problems on their end?

I did. I had issues with matchmaking too. No problems with latency in the battles themselves though, so it didn't cause me any d/cing losses.

Also, I wonder when results will be posted because it's 7:30pm PST July 17th and my time zone is later than most of the world. They didn't make any announcements so maybe some technical problems on their end?
Yeah I had no issues during the battle, it was always after the battle and when looking for the next opponent.

No results on my end either, USA Eastern time zone. I usually get to see the results the next day.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I had connection issues while looking for opponents too! I just tossed it up to being late in the tournament so there weren't many opponents left or something. No issue in battle though, weird

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one experiencing connection problems finding matches. Was marginally worried at first thinking each error connecting resulted in a loss on my end.

Overall I really enjoyed the tournament. Went 15-5 after the first two days then got slayed on Sunday morning playing with the Japanese players. Ended up 19-11 with a rating in the 1600s.

I loved playing with Choice Specs Jolteon, which was my typical lead. Volt switching Cute Charm physically defensive Sylveon in on Flareon or Leafeon caught most people off guard and won me a few matches. Choice Specs Thunderbolt did decent enough damage and wasn't terrible to be locked into. I also ran Hyper Beam as a last resort move which I maybe used all of once. Having a pokemon that outsped the entire tier (bar choice scarf/chlorophyll leafeon) was extremely useful end game for me.

Never used Umbreon once, kind of wish I would have brought Vaporeon instead. The rest of my team seemed to be pretty standard. I lost to Toxic Stall once and day three I got slayed by physical Sylveon more times than I can count. Lost to Trick Room a few times as well.

All in all I had more fun than the April Friendly, however I'm sure my final rating will be much worse than in April.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
My rating is going to be crap too despite a 21-9 record but there are also far less matches than in the April Friendly. Less opportunities to get points, lower rating. Having fun is the most important part since ranking doesn't give anything other than motivation and bragging rights.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I am first at Brazil yay! (48th in the world, junior btw) 23-7 1679 rating, I had some pretty terrible matches last day, so I'd had the chance to reach 1700+. Jolteon was more used than Flareon wow. Anyway, really happy about reaching that rank in my place. Now the question is: HOW COME SOME FOLKS REACHED 1800 RATING??

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Placed #33 US with 1654 rating and probably shit overall, I see Theorymon in the top 10. I played most of my matches on the last day (not purposefully) and mostly against Western players so matchmaking worked against me. I wonder if changing the time would have affected things or if I just sucked lol. Oh well. I got my fill of Eevees for the rest of my life.

But seriously, next international tourney I'll try and play during JPN peak hours and hopefully get more chances to fight people with higher ratings.

1477pts. I started out 7-3 on day 1. Day 3 I was destroyed by JPN players.

This was my first rotation battle experience.

Still disappointed in my overall record.

Where do you see how you placed in your country? I just see an overall "Ranking" on the competition history page (same place you get pictures of your battle box)
Select Region tab on the rankings page.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Where do you see how you placed in your country? I just see an overall "Ranking" on the competition history page (same place you get pictures of your battle box)

1635 pts, 511 overall, 15-5 (had internet problems on the third day so didn't even try).

:pimp:

Got to around 1680ish at one point which would've put me in 5th in the UK. Pretty happy about that!

Last edited:
Great rankings, congrats to everyone.

I have been battling for years and I cannot figure out how to get over that hurdle from .500 win percentage to staying in that win column.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
The usage rankings are pretty shocking....Leafeon at #6 despite being almost universally lauded and Sylveon at #3. I haven't looked at the movesets stats because I'm on my phone atm but I found it interesting.

Edit: Standard team seemed to be Flareon / Sylv / Leaf / Jolt / Vappy / Espeon which is exactly what I ran.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Looks like 11-3 only nets you 1581 points lol. Still pretty frustrated I wasn't able to play all my games, ah well..

Yeah the usage statistics are crazy! Flareon at no.1 really surprises me, obviously the most popular was toxic-guts. I ran it with Sunny Day and Heat Rock which isn't even on the list so either I'm really dumb or really innovative :/ In fact, Leafeon was at no.6 and Sunny Day was only used on ~10% of both Espeon and Vaporeon so Chloro-eon (what I assumed to be a major set) was really underused. Espeon is the only thing that doesn't really surprise me on the list, sitting at no.2 and having screens up the top of its moves. Maybe all these stats wouldn't come as such a shock if I actually played more of it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)