[Gen6] CAP Metagame Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY

Gen VI CAP C&C Index
If you are new to C&C and analysis writing standards, read these before posting:
  • Spelling and Grammar Standards
  • Writing Tips (REQUIRED READING)
  • [OVERVIEW]

Generalize what the Pokemon does in the metagame and as a whole and why you should or shouldn't consider using it on your teams.

[SET]
    name: SET NAME
    move 1:
    move 2:
    move 3:
    move 4:
    item:
    ability:
    nature:
    evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
    Moves
    ========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
    ========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
    ========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
    ========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
    Other Options
    =============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
    ===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Welcome to the official ORAS CAP Analysis Reservation thread! Here, you may reserve analyses for Pokemon that you are knowledgeable about and wish to contribute an analysis for.

The Quality Control (QC) Team
  • The Quality Control team is responsible for ensuring that every CAP analysis is up to the high standards Smogon expects for its content. These analyses are being viewed by thousands of individuals across the world, so a high standard of quality is necessary.
  • If the QC team does not think your analysis is up to on-site standards, they have the right to reassign or reject it. Make sure you familiarize yourself with C&C standards if you wish to prevent this from being the case.
The CAP QC Team:

Reservation Rules
  • You may reserve up to three analyses at a time, as long as the writer requesting to reserve this many is deemed responsible enough by QC to handle this many at once. Quality Control members may reserve more than this limit but are still expected to complete their analyses in a timely manner.
  • Additional reservations cannot be made until your current analyses are posted and in the written stage.
  • Post in this thread with your analysis reservations. Pay attention to the posts in front of you in case the list is not updated.
  • Do not edit your posts in this thread after an extended period of time. Double post if you wish to unreserve your Pokemon or select another one instead.
  • If a Pokemon is not on the reservation list and you strongly believe it deserves a CAP analysis, post in this thread with a thorough explanation as to why and the Quality Control team will address it.
Analysis Thread Tags

When you post your thread, please use the appropriate tags for each stage of the analysis:

Work in Progress: The skeleton is incomplete and is not ready for the QC Team to evaluate. Keep in mind that the longer your analysis stays in WIP stage, the greater the chance of it being reassigned. Do not be lazy.

Quality Control Ready: In the thread title, include [QC 0/3]. Include (Revamp) or (Set Name) if the analysis falls under either of those categories. The format is Name (Revamp/Set Name if applicable) [QC 0/3]. The skeleton is complete in bullet point form and now needs to seek approval by the QC Team. Make sure you update the thread title with the number of QC checks you currently have. ONLY WHEN YOU REACH TWO QC APPROVALS MAY YOU BEGIN WRITING THE ANALYSIS IN PARAGRAPH FORM, OTHERWISE THE ANALYSIS REMAINS IN BULLET POINTS. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THE THIRD QC CHECK UNTIL THE ANALYSIS IS WRITTEN.

Grammar-Prose Ready: In the set title, remove [QC 3/3] and include [GP 0/2]. The three required QC approvals have been met. The Grammar-Prose team now takes over. When you are ready for a GP check, please post in the Grammar-Prose Queue with a link to your analysis.

After the analysis gets two GP stamps, the analysis is ready for upload.

Please update your thread's tags and stamp number as you move along the process.

Reservation List

After reserving a Pokemon, you must post your analysis in a timely fashion. Your analysis thread must be up in 72 hours (3 days) or your reservation will be dropped. If you have any extenuating circumstances that prevent you from getting up your thread within this time frame, please notify an active member of the QC team. Pokemon analyses will be categorized under the following headings:
  • Unreserved: The Pokemon has yet to be claimed.
  • Reserved: The Pokemon is claimed by someone.
  • In Progress: The Pokemon's analysis has been posted and is going through the process.
  • Completed: The Pokemon's analysis is complete and is awaiting upload.
If a Pokemon's name is colored red, it may only be reserved by current members of the QC team due to the analysis likely being incredibly complicated.
CAP

Kerfluffle - snake_rattler
Kitsunoh (revamp) -- GreenGogoatttt
Arghonaut - MQJinx
Aurumoth (revamp) - snake_rattler
Crucibelle - snake_rattler
Syclant (revamp) - NitrousAcid

Non-CAP

Aerodactyl - Broken Phobias
Alakazam - Take Azelfie
Altaria - HeaLnDeaL
Charizard - snake_rattler
Gyarados - Take an Azelfie
Keldeo - Sobi
Landorus-T - MQJinx
Latias - Sundar
Latios - BreloomMyHomie
Tyranitar - EpicUmbreon29
CAP

Aurumoth - Snobalt
Cawmodore - HeaLnDeaL
Colossoil - sparktrain
Cyclohm - MQJinx
Fidgit - Exclaimer
Kitsunoh - Snobalt
Krilowatt - Snobalt
Krilowatt (revamp) - snake_rattler
Malaconda - MQJinx
Mollux - sparktrain
Naviathan - cbrevan
Necturna - KhosroTheGreat
Plasmanta - cbrevan
Pyroak - MQJinx
Revenankh - cbrevan
Revenankh (Choice Band) - Sobi
Stratagem - Snobalt
Syclant - cbrevan
Tomohawk - sparktrain
Volkraken - HeaLnDeaL
Voodoom - cbrevan

Non-CAP

Azumarill - cbrevan
Beedrill - KhosroTheGreat
Breloom - Bionic Puppy
Chansey - sparktrain
Clefable - Elite Lord Sigma
Diancie - BreloomMyHomie
Ferrothorn - sparktrain
Garchomp - sparktrain
Gardevoir - Exclaimer
Gothitelle - sparktrain
Greninja - sparktrain

Heatran - Take an Azelfie
Heatran (Stallbreaker) - snake_rattler
Jirachi - Exclaimer
Lopunny - cbrevan
Magnezone - Take an Azelfie
Manaphy - HeaLnDeaL
Manectric - sparktrain
Metagross - KogaEliteFour
Medicham - cbrevan
Pinsir - snake_rattler
Rotom-W - KhosroTheGreat
Sableye - KhosroTheGreat
Scizor - KhosroTheGreat
Scizor (Offensive SD) - sparktrain
Serperior - sparktrain
Serperior (SubSeed) - snake_rattler
Skarmory - HeaLnDeaL
Slowbro - Da Pizza Man
Sylveon - HeaLnDeaL
Talonflame - cbrevan
Tornadus-T - snake_rattler
Venusaur - snake_rattler

Strike-through indicates analyses that are no longer viewable on the dex, either due to changes to the CAP banlist, or the analysis being revamped and replaced with an updated version.

Last edited:
Two Pokemon I believe should be on the list are Clefable and Heatran and here is why I believe this...

- Clefable sits 19th on the CAP 1760+ ELO usage list so is a fairly common sight in the meta.
- Is a great second alternative for an unaware mon if you are having troubles with the likes of Aurumoth, Cawmodore and CM Latios, all of these Arghonaut cannot stop.
- Has fairy typing which threatens many common pokemon in the CAP meta such as: Tomohawk, Cyclohm, Arghonaut, Colossoil and other Dragon type Pokemon.
- Has access to another amazing ability in Magic Guard which, after a few Cosmic Powers or Calm Minds, can sweep through unprepared teams with ease.

- Heatran sits 22nd on the CAP 1760+ ELO usage list so is another common Pokemon to be seen.
- One of the best users of Stealth Rock which is incredibly important when considering the amount of big threats that take heavy damage from it. eg. Talonflame, Pinsir, Aurumoth, Kyurem-B, Charizard etc.
- Colossoil cannot switch easily in to rebound SR away in fear of getting burnt by Lava Plume.
- Works in a very similar way to Mollux except has better typing to block Flying and Psychic type attacks, both of which are incredibly common in the meta.
- Can completely wall and threaten to KO many common Pokemon in the CAP meta such as: Sylveon, Talonflame, Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Necturna etc.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to burst your bubble, HyperBeamingEevee, but sableye has no place in the cap meta. If you want to taunt, tomohawk is a much better prankster user, and it also gets access to haze which cripples cawmodore even more. It also gets murdered by fairy types, and because it is slow and lacks no offensive presence, it will tend to die immediately to incoming sylveon and gardevoir. Either that or you will have to do an unwanted switch because no pokemon like to take hyper voice from either of those two. Even switching to a steel type is not safe as hp ground is popular in cap.

It doesn't stay on the field. It will get walled and become a wasted spot on your team. You are welcome to try out sableye, but I don't feel it has a place in the meta.

I would like to reserve Fidgit, he is one of the greatest Utility Pokemon in the metagame and often goes under appreciated due to Tomohawk's Prankster and his poor stats. However, I wish to make a thread that will help him shine, displaying his broad movepool, and the many ways in which he is a highly capable support. I believe I am qualified to write the analysis on this guy, as I am one of the few who actually use this Pokemon, and have managed to climb to the top of the ladder with him back in the days of early Cawmodore. While I have been absent for a few months, I have returned, and Fidgit appears just as good with the recent addition of Volkraken. Am I worthy of taking us this endeavor, Darkslay?

Eevee, and I'm saying that there is a good reason no one uses it in cap. It is outclassed, and if you play the meta, you'll see. The counters you list are non existent for the most part, and it is frail. Most teams will always have a safe switch to eat a WoW, and that is essentially all sableye can do. That and stall, and there are much better things to stall with. Mainly though, because it is never used, it should not be on the list.

I'll be taking Cyclohm. I've been a normal member of CAP ever since the Volkraken playtest, and I've been laddering with the stall team that used Cyclohm for a while before switching to Skarmory, and have posted an RMT for it, receiving recognition from the members of the CAP community like Tadasuke, Animus and Vryheid.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
yeah I'd like to do Tomohawk and Cyclohm since I pretty much already wrote something up on these guys anyways and I know what I'm talking about

Vryheid

fudge jelly
I've taken Cyclohm but feel free to dump whatever you've written in my analysis
okay I added my comments there, I'll stick with just Tomohawk I guess

in the future I'm hoping people will wait to get listed here before making threads but darkslay might be busy or something

I'd like to reserve arghonaut and krilowatt.
  • I have been first on the cap ladder and I am consistently in the top ten.
  • I had a lot of success with arghonaut using the bulk up set.
  • I used 3 different krilowatt sets with much success.
  • My knowledge of the cap metagame is pretty extensive, well, extensive enough to get the 1st place spot on the ladder.
I also never got anything under an A in literature so far in my 13 years of life, so I consider myself to be quite an adept writer when I have the time to choose my words carefully.

Writing CAP Analyses

Writing tips borrowed from similar posts in other C&C forums with modifications and additions to meet CAP's needs.

It has come to the attention of various QC members that many analyses have been repeating similar mistakes. The goal of this post is to mention some of those mistakes so that they don't continue to happen.

General

Don't reserve analyses of Pokemon that you haven't used.
We can tell just by reading through it, and analyses that show this are generally reassigned. Generally, we try to work with the analysis writer to bring the analysis up to par, but if it is so far out there that QC members have to basically write the analysis for the person (dictating everything about the sets, redundant details or lack thereof, misinformation), the analysis will be reassigned.

Be detailed. When experienced writers and players (both groups individually) write analyses, the quality is much higher because they include a lot of the finer details. QC can help with this, but only so much. You shouldn't be writing a novel, but when your sections are two or three lines long (this excludes Set Details, which is generally shorter if there isn't much to say), you haven't included enough detail.

Stay on top of your analyses. This means that you should be active in implementing QC comments and concerns, as well as GP checks.

Remember, copying someone else's analysis and not giving them credit is plagiarism. It is fine to copy someone else's skeleton as a basis, but the content must be in your own words and due credit must be given. This is a BANNABLE offense, so do your own work whenever possible. The QC moderators will not hesitate to infract you for this, so be warned.

Overview

The purpose of the Overview is to provide a basic overview of the Pokemon. There was an Overview Revamp thread in BW QC, and while I don't believe that is necessary now, many of the points mentioned in that thread hold true.
  • Cut the fluff. This is a competitive Pokemon site, not the Pokemon Fan Club. We don't care how dashing your Rapidash's flowing mane is, and honestly we don't even really care that it's a horse on fire. Additionally, cut the metaphors, similes, or cute pet names for the Pokemon. If we're talking about Volkraken, don't call it a squid, don't talk about it swimming, just call it Volkraken and concentrate on its competitive aspects.
  • Don't sell the Pokemon. Overviews are about describing the Pokemon, not trying to make people use it. Describe the Pokemon, tell people what they're getting into, and let people decide what Pokemon works for their team. It is not your job to try and convince people that they should use the Pokemon in the analysis. This is something that tends to pop up a lot when people are writing about their "favorite Pokemon" and think that the Pokemon they're writing about gets a short shrift in the metagame, and overhype it in order to make up for it.
  • Don't undersell the Pokemon. I know this seems like it contradicts #2, but there's something to remember: if a Pokemon has an CAP analysis, it's because it has earned that analysis by having a useful niche in the CAP metagame. The only exception to this is for when we write analyses for non-viable CAP Pokemon (all CAP Pokemon will be receiving an analysis regardless of viability) in which case a generally negative overview may be written.
  • Brevity is your friend. Make sure that your writing is flowing and easy to read, but still concise. Overviews should generally not be longer than 2 paragraphs- 1 about strong suits, 1 about weaknesses / issues.
  • There's a difference between concise and short. Make sure that while you don't get all fluffy and overly wordy, you also don't leave out significant detail. An overview should be a general introduction to the Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, not a couple words about some things the Pokemon can do.
  • This is more stylistic than a "rule", but the first sentence should go out of its way to pull the reader in. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and analyses are no exception. The best analyses have a first sentence that captures the attention of the reader and makes them want to read the rest of the analysis.
General Questions / Statements to answer in the overview
  • What does the Pokemon beat? Notable individual Pokemon, groups, or whole playstyles (Colossoil is a fantastic glue Pokemon and a threat to common spinblockers while Haze Tomohawk is a hard check to several setup sweepers).
  • What general role the Pokemon takes / What teams it fits best on (Stall / Semi-Stall / Balance / Bulky Offense / Hyper Offense)
  • What threatens this Pokemon? Notable individual Pokemon, groups, or whole playstyles

On top of these points, don't state information that you can see in the dex entry. The typing, ability, and stats are at the top of the page. It is fine to talk about how a Pokemon's defensive typing lets it handle [x threats], how its STABs and coverage make it an excellent wallbreaker, or how its Speed stat puts it above the majority of the tier. What isn't fine is statements like 'Plasmanta has a great base 131 Special Attack stat'. This provides no useful information to the reader.

The first sentence in the Overview should provide a concise, honest depiction of the Pokemon in the metagame. You should talk about its useful competitive attributes and niche in the metagame, as well as its flaws. A note on flaws: minor things like low Speed for a defensive Pokemon, just because they are technically 'flaws', aren't generally important to mention. You should only talk about major flaws and issues that the Pokemon has. Don't end the overview negatively; it reads strangely and is off-putting to the reader.

Set

Remember that moves should be in order of importance. Generally, moves with more slashes should be further down on the set, and the most important moves should be listed first.

Moves

Don't just say that a move is a good move, especially for STABs. Why is it a good move? It might seem obvious to you, but a newer player won't know the implied meaning. What does a move target specifically? Be descriptive, and when moves are slashed, explain the benefits and downsides of each move.

Set Details

Don't be redundant and obvious when describing EV spreads and natures. Everyone understands that a Jolly nature makes the Pokemon faster and that an Impish nature allows the Pokemon to take physical hits better. Mention specific reasons for spreads and don't say like '4 EVs in Defense boosts the Pokemon's Defense stat', as such a boost is so minuscule that it's pointless to mention.

Don't mention redundant pieces of information like the effect of the ability. However, you should talk about the effect of items like Leftovers and Life Orb; specifically, it is important to discuss how they benefit the Pokemon.

Other things to mention in this section include alternate spreads and items, you should explain why this alternate spread is worth using.

Usage Tips

This section is important, and it seems that some writers just rush through it. Usage Tips should go in-depth on handling common situations encountered with a Pokemon and how it should be played. Remember that newer players read the analyses, so being clear and detailed is especially important in this section.

Tell me how to use the Pokemon. This should focus primarily on the main uses of Pokemon. Things you need to mention
  • When should you use your Pokemon. For example as a lead, late-game, as a switch-in to these types of attacks, after a KO. Be sure to explain why.
  • Role of the Pokemon. For example, late-game sweeper, tank, revenge killer, setting up weather
  • Important tips specific to the Pokemon.

Remember the focus is about how to use the Pokemon. All the little stuff may still be important, but if your entire Usage Tips is about little details, you've written it wrong.

Team Options

This is another section where being descriptive and thorough is important. Be sure to mention all of the following: what types of teams the Pokemon is useful on, support it needs whether defensively or offensively with multiple examples of partners to fill those roles, and Pokemon that it partners well with in general.

Appropriate teammates to mention are
  • Pokemon who are supported well by your Pokemon.
  • Pokemon who check or counter threats to that Pokemon. For example, Ground-types such as Colossoil and Hippowdon check Poison-types (note when I say types, I give examples) such as Mollux and Plasmanta.
  • If there is something specific to the playstyle. Weather generally likes other weather sweeper + Stealth Rock and weather setter + Prankster weather setter. Hyper Offense generally likes entry hazards (when mentioning entry hazards say some notable KOs they help to provide, all Pokemon like entry hazards but some might need them to turn a 3HKO into a 2HKO)

Remember if saying Pokemon types or move users e.g. Stealth Rock users, give examples of Pokémon.

Also try to make Team Options flow well. For example, mention speed control options together where possible instead of all over the paragraph.

Other Options

Please don't mention things that are bad here. The only exception to this is when something might look good at first glance to someone who doesn't understand the Pokemon well, but actually isn't. In this case, you want to explain the supposed merits of the option and why it isn't a good option. Here, you should be mentioning sets, moves, abilities, items, etc. that have niche use on the Pokemon (i.e. for certain teams). Don't add options for the sake of doing so; if a Pokemon doesn't have a bunch of viable additional options, it just doesn't.

Some things are almost viable to get an analysis, but QC decides to stick it in OO for whatever reason. If this is the case place that set at the beginning and give a detailed description of it including spread (if there is a unique spread) or other moves, other things after this that don't come close to warranting a set just get a brief mention.

Checks and Counters

This section should outline specific scenarios that a Pokemon will encounter against said Check / Counter, make sure to be thorough and mention what you can. Remember, you should be approaching this from the perspective of someone trying to prepare for this Pokemon, so include all of the options and techniques that they can use to counteract that Pokemon. Also, make sure you have specific examples and not just general statements.

Some things to remember is that if multiple Pokemon can fall under one category, create one category for them. Do not create multiple sections for individual Pokemon, unless they are a direct hard counter to that Pokemon and deserve a separate mention.

--

Hopefully you took the time to read all of this and have learned from it so the QC team does not have to spend as much time going through and checking your analysis. If you have a general question on the subject, feel free to ask and a CAP QC member will answer.

Last edited:
Unless someone else would like to nab them from me (and by all means feel free to, I'm fairly fresh at this whole analysis game), I'll volunteer for both Revenankh and Malaconda. Though I'd imagine our OP is not going to be updated for a while, considering DarkSlay's attentions are probably elsewhere for a bit (*glares at CAP 19*).

As for qualifications, I'm fairly fresh-faced in the forum game, but as PepsiPlunge I've done a fair bit on the CAP ladder, and I'd like to think I know my way around our wacky metagame.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All threads that have already been started are added to to OP.

In addition, Vryheid, Elite Lord Sigma, and heartofgold can go ahead and start in on theirs. While I don't know exactly what contact people had with DarkSlay about this stuff, from now on if people can wait until the thread is updated before starting in, that would be great.

Also, for anyone else who has already reserved something, please try and get something up soon so that you are not holding something that someone else could be working on.

I would like to cancel my reservation of krilowatt due to limited access to a computer.

jas edit: ok, its unreserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to reserve sylveon. I've had extensive background with sylveon in CAP, OU, Doubles, and Battle Spot. In other words, I've been playing with sylveon since like November, and in CAP since January.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
May I reserve Aurumoth? I believe that I have had enough experience with it in the CAP meta to give it an analysis. Additionally, since Darkslay has retired, do I have permission to take over Kitsunoh and Stratagem?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
wh0sy0urpapa, you can only reserve up to two Pokemon at a time at the most, or you can start out with just one and work from there.

FlarZ, in the end, even without formal permission, nothing is stopping you guys from writing up your analyses (you just won't be able to post yet, but getting your skeleton written up and waiting for permission to post might speed things along later on).

Ever since DarkSlay's disappearance, I think the analyses have suffered, and I'm hoping we'll be able to get things rolling soon. Until then, please be patient.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, the only people who really update the thread are DarkSlay and Jas, so they'll probably give official approvals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)