XY NU Rolling Stones (NU RMT)

Hey whats up smogon. This is a team I put together and had a blast using. This team has been rather successful and one of my best teams to date. This team was based around trying some lesser seen pokes like Lax, Serperior and Mesprit while still staying competitive with Gator. So lets hop right into the team preview.

I started team building with the goal of using Mesprit. I thought about using CM but felt it was outclassed by Uxie so I went on to use it as a revenge killer. Looking back at the team this was probably the weakest link at times and power wise often fell short. I did switch it out for a Ape but missed the check for Vileplume, so Mesprit was brought back. It is a good cleaner when Feraligator falls as well as a good lead. Though it has some short comings its utility with trick and move pool have kept is a spot on this team.

Ruby (Mesprit) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dazzle Gleam/Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Trick
- U-turn

The next member is the amazing Lax. I personally was not a huge fan of Hariyama. So i sought out to find an other check to fire spam. Although the ev's are weird they are quite effective. I can comfortable leave any fire type move and retaliate with a strong eq or body slam. Rest is there for longevity and to help check a ton of other Special atks. Lax can actually like a surprising amount of phys hits as well so try this set if you take away nothing else.

Quarts (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Lax has been cut for Rhydon see lower post for more info.

Next I wanted a dedicated phys wall especially one that could eat up fighting type moves. While trying to avoid Vileplume I landed on Weezing who has done an awesome job in this role. I tried to keep an offensive pressure when selecting his moveset. Mostly because he has a less reliable from of recovery so I try to kill his checks as fast as possible. This is also the main check to Feraligator and Sawk/primeape. Shiftry is also checked by this to an extent as well. The final role of weezing is usually eating up knock offs and thus I often find him without a held item. My final note on him is that he also is a back up check to vileplume with his moveset, However I would make an effort to keep mesprit or set up with Gator over this wall.

Amethyst (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sludge Wave
Weezing is being tested for a hazard setting Garbador. see later post for info.

Ok this set is bloody awesome. There is just so much going for Liepard in this Gen. Knock off is Knock off. Encore stops set up sweepers, and also makes it easy for my set up sweepers to get a free switch in. Lastly u-turn and sucker punch are also two fantastic moves. This cat keeps momentum for me and disrupts it for the opponent. This overall is the best pivot in the tier.

Onyx (Liepard) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

This is another fun poke on my team that is often outclassed and overlooked. However it has a few useful tricks that make it so potent. To start this is a second check to Gator even if it sets up. Thats because it can leave a +2 aqua jet and kill with a giga drain. Secondly this set works lovely next to Gator because after one punches the hole the second just cleans shop. Giga drain, sub and CM are the best moves and on the 4th spot there are some options. I prefer HP ground for things like probopas however HP Fire and HP rock are also viable. It really is up to you which you chose. Serperior also has great surprise factor. There have been so many people who dont realize it is a CM set and let me set up. Which at that point its GG.

Emerald (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

This is my get out of Jail free card. This thing is such a treat that truthfully I cant build a team without using it. The ev's are left up to you but I prefer this bulky set. Now the best part about this team is if Gator sets up first in theory all that are left are water types which Serperior clean up. If Serperior is up to bat first all thats left can be killed by aqua jet. Regardless though this is the teams win condition and should be kept alive at all cost. With that mentality if Serperior has done its job its sacked if not then Mesprit is cut.

Saphire (Feraligatr) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Frustration/Ice Punch

Treats list:
Vileplume: Always Keep alive Mesprit or Set up to +2 with Gator
Shiftry: Weezing is the best shot or play around it with Serperior but dont rely on Serperior alone.
BULKY WATERS: keep serperior alive these are usually the best times for CM sweeps but dont loose the best check.
Regular Rotom: Tough to play around with it being immune to lax. Just play smart.
Gator: Always a threat keep Serperior at close to full as well as weezing

Final Comments
Overall I have had a lot of success with this team even winning tourneys in the NU room. Feel free to use the team as well as leaving comments. The next solid battle I have with this team I will post in a comment. Also if you have any questions about the team feel free to post them and I will try my best to answer them Hope you have fun. Peace Out.

Last edited:
you kind of want stealth rock to aid you in pressuring the opponent because all your pokemon are easily checked by common pokemon in the tier, which could therefore make it hard for you to wear down teams with tougher match-ups. i think rhydon over munchlax is good because it still gives you the help against fire-types while adding a normal- and flying-type resistance that you were lacking so that you don't have too much trouble with things like kangaskhan, zangoose, or swellow when they come in against your slower pokemon. it also makes you less prone to getting set up on given that rhydon has greater offense and access to roar. 248 hp / 48 atk / 108 def / 104 spd with an adamant nature is a nice bulky spread for it if you're looking to take hits better. the ground typing would help you against some rotom as well

serperior doesn't really need hidden power ground because probopass can't break its substitute at +1 usually. i would opt for something like hidden power fire since it can still hit other steel-types like klinklang while helping you chip a little more damage on grass-types like vileplume and shiftry

Thanks for the input. I made the change to have HP Fire. I had it for a while when playing with the team but missed also having a move that hits fire types better. (Prob should have mentioned that in the RMT) but none the less I agree with your input and I will leave that for the final team.
As for the Rhydon, I personally love lax to much to take him off the team when I use it but you do have valid point so I will leave a paste bin in this comment with your change for those who want to use the better of the two teams. Thanks again.
http://pastebin.com/F30Jyz00
Side note here is the spread I used. I put careful but I am sure adamant could work. Also I might have to test this team some more because now I feel I have no real answer to scald and other spec water. If some one can help me that would be much appreciated.

As stated in the above comment replaces Lax due to rock support and still checks fire while providing some nice resist and the ability to phaze. Overall prob a good addition to the team if you chose to use it. I have a personal love for lax but this is prob a better option.
Pearl (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 108 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Roar

This is a really cool team, but there is one key flaw. The team loses a lot of momentum from Weezing and Munchlax, something that Offensive teams hate. Lack of damage or pressure means that you can potentially allow opponents setup opportunities, which easily means your downfall. I also see key weaknesses to stronger flying pokemon such as Swellow and Rotom-F, which can potentially pack a big punch. Most importantly though, you lack hazards. Oftentimes, especially with offense like yours, one layer of SR or Spikes can turn 2HKo's into OHKO's, something very important.

The first thing would be to change Munchlax to Rhydon. Rhydon has access to an insanely high 130 base attack as well as Roar, meaning it will not allow opponents to set up, and is one of the most powerful SR users in the tier. More importantly, it checks flying types for the rest of the team, and can absorb electric moves if needed using its amazing typing. It also gets great matchups on opposing Sr users, forcing stuff like Archeops off the field first turn, and use of Rock Blast can also put certain sticky webbers into a 50/50.

The next thing I would to is to change Weezing to Spikes Garbodor. While it may seem you are losing equally as much momentum from Garbodor, one key thing stands out. Garbodor's ability to run a Rocky Helmet and Aftermath. This combination of sheer recoil means that opponents using Contact moves such as Sawk and Gurdurr can be put into KO range just from hitting you twice, and forces opponents out to give you a free spikes setup opportunity. Spikes support is key to your team as Serp isn't really strong, and needs all the extra damage it can get.

Minor Changes:
Mesprit: Dazzling Gleam > Energy Ball, to bait stuff like Spiritomb and Shiftry and get yourself better 2 move coverage.
Serperior: Life Orb > Leftovers since Giga Drain heals you more with LO, and you need extra power to hope to sweep.
Feraligatr: Return > Ice Punch, so that water types dont completely wall you.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Toxic / Pain Split / Seed Bomb

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Thanks Brawlfest for the advice.

As for Rhydon he was added in the second team revision but due to me being stubborn I refuse to switch him but I did leave a paste bin and a brief post about the set I chose to run with the help of ium.

To go over your minor changes real quick I like energy ball on mesprit but I will slash Dazzle and put it as the preferred move. Same with ice punch I never really liked frustration but I do know a lot of people that like it more so again same thing. Then for the Serperior item, I find lefties to be more helpful b/c I agree it has little power so setting up is more efficient way of playing it. And in doing so I don't always have the luxury of going for giga drain while setting up. So to keep Serperior at a good range leftovers have been great. I personally have found this set of Serperior to win more games than Gator so that's one thing I am going to keep.

As for Garbador I agree that it does put a lot of offensive pressure on opposing teams but I feel that would really open me up to a greater ground weakness b/c I don't really want to be switching in my two sweepers b/c they are more dangerous at full. Also I fell a lot more pressure is put on to Mesprit to kill Vileplume. I personally find it hard to treasure Mesprit because it was the weak link at times. However perhaps the offensive pressure you are recommending will solve its self.

I will play test the team and see what changes are left to make. Thanks again.

oh real quick for those who want to use the team:
I am going to try the recommended Garbador set from above as well as the Rhydon set which I am using in the previous post by Ium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)