Official NBA 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

Rockets got fucked, Morey gambled hard and lost. To his favor, it looks like the Mavs securing of Parsons lost them Vince Carter. Whom they only targeted after realizing Mike Miller is leaning towards playing for the Cavs with Lebron. Whose departure prompted Houston to clear up all the cap space with the hopes they could land Bosh.

Funny how it all works out. I love this shit.

I love all those Wade fans who were talking shit & saying Kobe will never win another ring again. Guess what neither will Wade now. Bosh is still good but he's on the downside of his career… Game should age well though.

Also, LOL @ the Rockets. Now they either have to commit major money to Parsons & lose their flexibility for years or lose him for nothing. Morey really tried to go all in this year and now his team is worse with little room to get better. If the Rockets really want to win, I don't think they should match Dallas. Parsons is good but not that good. Better luck trying to get Durant next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though since no one wants to play with Dwight. Even Harden doesn't like him now. To top it off, LAL has their pick now =)

Melo is staying in NY and even though people will look down on him for it, it wouldn't have made sense to go anywhere else. Yes, he can win in CHI but he would have had to take a massive pay cut to play for a cheap owner… Pau is a good pick up for Chicago. Creates offense for team mates, can give you 17 & 10, and a great team mate. Thibs will improve his defense. It's bittersweet to see him go since he is one of my favorite Lakers of all-time but I would like to see him win again. Grateful for everything he's done for LA.

The East is wide open now. If Indiana can retain Born Ready and get their shit together, they will have a good shot of making the finals. So far the top teams in the East seem to be developing like this:

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Indiana
4. Charlotte
5. Miami
6. Atlanta
7. Toronto
8. NYK (maybe)

Which is really sad because only the first three are any good.

I love all those Wade fans who were talking shit & saying Kobe will never win another ring again. Guess what neither will Wade now. Bosh is still good but he's on the downside of his career… Game should age well though.

Also, LOL @ the Rockets. Now they either have to commit major money to Parsons & lose their flexibility for years or lose him for nothing. Morey really tried to go all in this year and now his team is worse with little room to get better. If the Rockets really want to win, I don't think they should match Dallas. Parsons is good but not that good. Better luck trying to get Durant next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though since no one wants to play with Dwight. Even Harden doesn't like him now. To top it off, LAL has their pick now =)

Melo is staying in NY and even though people will look down on him for it, it wouldn't have made sense to go anywhere else. Yes, he can win in CHI but he would have had to take a massive pay cut to play for a cheap owner… Pau is a good pick up for Chicago. Creates offense for team mates, can give you 17 & 10, and a great team mate. Thibs will improve his defense. It's bittersweet to see him go since he is one of my favorite Lakers of all-time but I would like to see him win again. Grateful for everything he's done for LA.

The East is wide open now. If Indiana can retain Born Ready and get their shit together, they will have a good shot of making the finals. So far the top teams in the East seem to be developing like this:

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Indiana
4. Charlotte
5. Miami
6. Atlanta
7. Toronto
8. NYK (maybe)

Cleveland is not getting the 1st seed with Derrick Rose being healthy and potentially Pau Gasol coming to the Bulls

Cleveland is not getting the 1st seed with Derrick Rose being healthy and potentially Pau Gasol coming to the Bulls
Rose has to stay healthy first. I'm a big fan but he needs to make it it through one season being healthy. Mirotic makes them better too but lots of things can happen in Cleveland. Kyrie might make the leap, Wiggins shines, or thy acquire Kevin Love. Future looks bright for both teams regardless.

Melo is staying in NY and even though people will look down on him for it, it wouldn't have made sense to go anywhere else.
It also makes sense that Melo would like to carry a team on his back, being the superstar he is, rather than play a sidekick/partner to another superstar (Rose). I am sure it'd have been on his mind, doesn't matter how crap the rest of Knicks team is.

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Indiana
4. Charlotte
5. Miami
6. Atlanta
7. Toronto
8. NYK (maybe)

You forgot the Wizards.

I would like to see Love with the Lakers. Doesn't seem like it'll ever happen though.

It also makes sense that Melo would like to carry a team on his back, being the superstar he is, rather than play a sidekick/partner to another superstar (Rose). I am sure it'd have been on his mind, doesn't matter how crap the rest of Knicks team is.

You forgot the Wizards.

I would like to see Love with the Lakers. Doesn't seem like it'll ever happen though.
Also that extra like $69 million doesn't help him go to the Knicks either.

Well, that went south for miami. The amount of their fans are now cut to one-fourth, and guys acting like they've been Cavs fans their whole life increased significantly.

That said, East got worse imo. Cleveland is a year or 2 away, Heat's best player is Antoine Walker-ish, Pacers has hit their ceiling last season... Only Bulls is what I would call "elite team" in the East. Dunno how well the rookies will fair, but it will be Bulls' playground this year.

The best teams are still those who made minimal changes: Spurs and Thunder, with Clippers and maybe Mavs/Dubs really close to them.

Well, that went south for miami. The amount of their fans are now cut to one-fourth, and guys acting like they've been Cavs fans their whole life increased significantly.

That said, East got worse imo. Cleveland is a year or 2 away, Heat's best player is Antoine Walker-ish, Pacers has hit their ceiling last season... Only Bulls is what I would call "elite team" in the East. Dunno how well the rookies will fair, but it will be Bulls' playground this year.

The best teams are still those who made minimal changes: Spurs and Thunder, with Clippers and maybe Mavs/Dubs really close to them.
If they acquire Birdman, Ray Allen and Mike Miller it really fills most of their voids. They roster may be inexperienced but the East isn't strong enough for that to be a significant factor. I feel like the may be able to make a run earlier than that. Only thing stopping them in reality is Rose's health.

You forgot the Wizards.

Oh yeah. Wizards will be a top team in the East next season. Whether that means anything compared to West teams remains to be seen. I guess I would drop ATL since they whiffed on every free agent this summer. So imo the top 4 teams in the East as constructed right now are

1)CLE
2)CHI
3)IND
4)MIA

That the latter two teams had the drop off they did can can still be placed in the top 4 in their conference is a testament to how shitty the East is. LBJ is going to be one of the best of all-time but jeez getting to the finals was pretty much a cakewalk for him every year. I honestly wonder if he would have won more than one ring if out in the West.

I have not given up on the Love dream. It's not dead unless he's traded to CLE or GSW which I don't think will happen as both teams seem intent on trying to rob Minnesota… Which is insane. On what planet is Klay Thompson worth anywhere near Kevin Love? That's a really stupid FO.

If they acquire Birdman, Ray Allen and Mike Miller it really fills most of their voids. They roster may be inexperienced but the East isn't strong enough for that to be a significant factor. I feel like the may be able to make a run earlier than that. Only thing stopping them in reality is Rose's health.
Too bad Birdman just re-signed with the Heat. I expect both Miller & Allen to go to CLE with Lebron though. Between Varejao & Tristan Thompson, I don't think they need Birdman.

Those Rockets. What happened to that team? After failing on Bosh and Melo, current roster looks like a downgrade from last year. Unless they trade for a good forward, see them being a fodder again this year. I won't be surprised if they go for STAT or something like that.

I think the East is about to be really fucking funny, and not in a bad way. The best teams were already almost all defense first (maybe not Raptors? idk they were pretty even). Pacers were so all in on defense that it hurt to fucking watch, Grizzlies-East and all that. Wizards were all in on defense since months ago, although that may be forced on them by their two should be offensive stars being unable to top much more than 40% FG. Bulls were defense first to begin with, since D Rose died just hopelessly all in on D. Heat have to go all in on D with elder Wade and Lebron gone, and adding Deng pretty much signaled that was the direction they are going.

TL;DR get ready for a lot of beautifully ugly ball out of the East, may holy Lebron or the best D win.

Teams to watch out for in the next days:
> Rockets - if they want to win now, they need to make moves fast. Aside from losing on starters (bosh/melo), their bench is pretty awful. See them going for Rondo + 4-5 guys.
> Phoenix - they have 4 very good pointguards. Dragic and Ennis are nice trade assets, or let Bledsoe go in a sign-and-trade to collect more assets. They can use those to get a star.
> Cleveland - Kevin Love. I can see them giving up Wiggins, but I don't agree based on what I saw in summer league.
> Lakers - if they hate to see Kobe sulking again this season. Really, what happened to Lakers free agency power?

Teams to watch out for in the next days:
> Rockets - if they want to win now, they need to make moves fast. Aside from losing on starters (bosh/melo), their bench is pretty awful. See them going for Rondo + 4-5 guys.
> Phoenix - they have 4 very good pointguards. Dragic and Ennis are nice trade assets, or let Bledsoe go in a sign-and-trade to collect more assets. They can use those to get a star.
> Cleveland - Kevin Love. I can see them giving up Wiggins, but I don't agree based on what I saw in summer league.
> Lakers - if they hate to see Kobe sulking again this season. Really, what happened to Lakers free agency power?
The Rockets have nothing to get Rondo for. They squandered their assets in rushing to get Bosh. Rondo doesn't help them either, Harden is a ball-dominant shooting guard that won't yield to Rondo. Rondo can't shoot the three either. Bosh was exactly what they needed & they lost out on him. Their next best option is someone like Paul Millsap.

PHX is weird. I know they're going to try to trade for a star with some of those point guards.

I don't see Cleveland giving up Wiggins at all. I see Love getting traded mid-season to the Warriors.

I never expected any major FA to come to LA this year. Too many complicated situations muddled up even more by Kobe's awful extension. I think people will consider LA again after Kobe's extension is up. More room to build.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wade re-upping for 2 years $34 million with a player option for 2015-2016. Not as much of a drop off as I expected, but still shitty to leave money on the table after LeBron bolts.

still bitter on 06 eh
The Rockets have nothing to get Rondo for. They squandered their assets in rushing to get Bosh. Rondo doesn't help them either, Harden is a ball-dominant shooting guard that won't yield to Rondo. Rondo can't shoot the three either. Bosh was exactly what they needed & they lost out on him. Their next best option is someone like Paul Millsap.
Millsap is not on the trading block. Houston is so fucked up right now... How can they even miss Blair or Humphries is beyond me. Looks like Blatche is also gone. Are they still thinking they can get Bosh??

still bitter on 06 eh
That was the biggest screw job ever by the NBA. Did you see Wade's free throw averages per game? I would probably be mad too if my team was blatantly robbed out of a title.

Millsap is not on the trading block. Houston is so fucked up right now... How can they even miss Blair or Humphries is beyond me. Looks like Blatche is also gone. Are they still thinking they can get Bosh??
I know he's not. I just think they're fucked period. They're not going to contend against the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers. Probably not even Portland or the Warriors.

wouldn't Cleveland trading for Love make them devoid of any defense as well as any bench whatsoever? I read Wiggins was on the table. Nonsensical move if true.

wouldn't Cleveland trading for Love make them devoid of any defense as well as any bench whatsoever? I read Wiggins was on the table. Nonsensical move if true.
Wiggins is not proven yet. Love is a top 5 player.

Although I do agree, Defense > Offense. Who can play D on the Cavs? Certainly not Kyrie or Love.

The Bulls 3 peating and those Lakers teams with Phil, probably the best teams in the NBA for the past 2 decades were based on a system with tough defense.

Even watching the last Superbowl. The #1 Offense vs the #1 Defense. Who won? Exactly.

Last edited:
Wiggins can be the Pippen to Lebron's Jordan. And Bennett, if he's truly in the "best shape of his life," deserves one more season to prove himself imo. Trading them for a player who wants to win now goes against everything Lebron said in his return announcement. No thanks.

Wiggins is not proven yet. Love is a top 5 player.

Although I do agree, Defense > Offense. Who can play D on the Cavs? Certainly not Kyrie or Love.

The Bulls 3 peating and those Lakers teams with Phil, probably the best teams in the NBA for the past 2 decades were based on a system with tough defense.

Even watching the last Superbowl. The #1 Offense vs the #1 Defense. Who won? Exactly.
Ignorant as fuck. Saints Colts, whoa what a defensive struggle. Packers had a defense that was good at creating turnovers and besides that were all in on offense. Ravens had little D and O (complete luckfuck) the season they won. Giants had no real D nor O the season they won (pass rush, lucky long bombs). 1 defensive win in 5 tries, whoa!!!

In the NBA defense matters than offense because shooting gets much harder with the mental pressure of the finals, and in the finals you usually face one of the most serious defenses of the year. For instance, both Dirk and Lebron have shot poorly in the finals they made. In Lebron's case, the only team he faced that did not have a gigantic emphasis on defense were the Thunder, and it was the only time that he shot well in a finals (at least iirc, this is top of my head).

Ignorant as fuck. Saints Colts, whoa what a defensive struggle. Packers had a defense that was good at creating turnovers and besides that were all in on offense. Ravens had little D and O (complete luckfuck) the season they won. Giants had no real D nor O the season they won (pass rush, lucky long bombs). 1 defensive win in 5 tries, whoa!!!

In the NBA defense matters than offense because shooting gets much harder with the mental pressure of the finals, and in the finals you usually face one of the most serious defenses of the year. For instance, both Dirk and Lebron have shot poorly in the finals they made. In Lebron's case, the only team he faced that did not have a gigantic emphasis on defense were the Thunder, and it was the only time that he shot well in a finals (at least iirc, this is top of my head).
Ignorant as fuck? It was just one example brah. I'm just saying it was more valuable. Defense is only one side of the game. Good D > Good O

Of course LeBron and Dirk Nowitzki are going to shoot not as good, they are the star players and the other team is trying their best to eliminate them from the game. They are the primary target in a Defense to be stopped.

You could also argue that The Miami Heat whooped the Thunder because the Thunder have an incompetent coach that can't run a good offense and only runs isos. This is an offensive issue. There are more variables than if they are good at defense or not.

Incompetent coaches aren't known for making a blueprint for a good Defense, either. But in 2011 (from nba 2k12 rankings so it could be off) they were top 5 in Defense. This is most likely because they have very good perimeter defenders in Thabo Sefolosha (not a good one anymore though), Russel Westbrook and then theres Ibaka and Perkins clogging the paint.

You can't tell me that Defense isn't extremely important to a championship team. It's why the Chicago Bulls the last 2 years made the playoffs and one year made the 2nd round.

Maybe I shouldn't of brought up Football because I don't know too much about it, but I would think that having to win one game against teams instead of playing seven would make having a hardcore defensive philosophy, dare I say, less valuable.

Yes, ignorant as fuck brah. Your dragging the NFL into this was poorly contextualized, poorly explained, and your point about the NFL was entirely inaccurate.

Heat also have a mediocre coach. It is not rocket science to get two players as good as Lebron/Wade to the finals in the worse conference, especially once you compound it with the Bulls death (post D-Rose), Celtics death (post-old), and Magic's death (Howard leaving). The only way to stop the Heat is with superlative big men play on a competent team, and the Pacers have not really been very competent. Once they get to the finals things just became a complete crapshoot. They nearly won the finals the first year with no strategy, just a bunch of great defenders and two top 5-7 players thrown together (and Bosh prowling around being a dinosaur).

Heat beat the Thunder with D, pace, and experience.

I already said that D matters in the NBA more, idk why you closed your post by acting like that was not the case lol it is exactly what you said, with just 1 game at a time O always has a place to win in the NFL (aka Cardinals / best Warner run to the Super Bowl and only lose by 3 with a joke team against the best D in the league)...if Wilson had 3 INT/fumbles lost and Broncos got a couple early deep bombs then that Super Bowl could have finished with the score reversed. NFL games are a really bad sample size.

But did the Heat beat them with D or did the Thunder lack in Offensive set department? Both. You're right, and I was right talking about that series.

Anything can happen in one Football game that decides everything, lets just leave it at that. It was one example from a different sport. No need to get excited over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)