Battle of Legends

With the legendaries being able to take the roll of sweepers and such, I think this might be the time for mega-supporters to shine :P
Then mainly thinking about Banette
Insomnia in normal form and Prankster in mega

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
idk, unlike MewtwoY, Mega Banette gets completely destroyed by Dark Pulse and none of it's moves really do anything. Couple that with no Prankster on the first turn and it doesn't seem like that great of an idea :/ Safeguard Klefki looks to be the most useful, as usual. Mega Venusaur looks great though as a first-turn Groudon check and gets useful stuff like Sleep Powder and Leech Seed. It also shuts down unboosted Xerneas so that's useful as well.

What are you guys thinking of in terms of team line-up so far? I had something all ready for Rotations but Trollfreak struck again so that fell through :/ At the moment I'm looking at Mewtwo Y/Mega Venusaur/Heatran/Klefki/Ludicolo/Arceus-Normal.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What are you guys thinking of in terms of team line-up so far? I had something all ready for Rotations but Trollfreak struck again so that fell through :/ At the moment I'm looking at Mewtwo Y/Mega Venusaur/Heatran/Klefki/Ludicolo/Arceus-Normal.
wide guard aegi, follow me togekiss, whimsicott, scarf kyogre, dunno what else. I'm thinking palkia maybe? Or my own xern. And a mega. Maybe my azumarill too, it completely destroys all the random legendary spamming passerby teams. Haven't really thought much about it yet!

For those who practiced, what big threats have you guys encountered so far besides the omnipresent Darkrai and Kyogre?

Do you guys think minimize chansey or clefable will be a thing at the tournament?

Last edited:
For those who practiced, what big threats have you guys encountered so far besides the omnipresent Darkrai and Kyogre?

Do you guys think minimize chansey or clefable will be a thing at the tournament?
I don't think so I haven't even seen a Chansey or a Clefable and I battled lots of people! :P

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I've never struggled with Darkrai as I lead quite often with Safeguard Klefki, which can also set up screens and Thunder Wave to cripple Kyogre, Xerneas, and Talonflame, some other popular threats I've encountered.

I've never struggled with Darkrai as I lead quite often with Safeguard Klefki, which can also set up screens and Thunder Wave to cripple Kyogre, Xerneas, and Talonflame, some other popular threats I've encountered.
Yeah, Kfleki is a pretty good counter but what partner do you run with it? I have encountered several darkrai leads and some even have an unerve Persian partner which could stop Kfleki with Fake out.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Yeah, Kfleki is a pretty good counter but what partner do you run with it? I have encountered several darkrai leads and some even have an unerve Persian partner which could stop Kfleki with Fake out.
I haven't had tons of run-ins with partner Fake Out users. I tend to partner it with Charizard-Y so I can start Fire Blasting from the start, usually blasting the Darkrai in question. I'm not sure at the moment how I would handle a Darkrai lead with a Fake Out user.. something with priority, I imagine. Or Fake Out of its own.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I haven't had tons of run-ins with partner Fake Out users. I tend to partner it with Charizard-Y so I can start Fire Blasting from the start, usually blasting the Darkrai in question. I'm not sure at the moment how I would handle a Darkrai lead with a Fake Out user.. something with priority, I imagine. Or Fake Out of its own.
double protect first turn?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This tournament's gonna be a mess so I can't be assed making a decent team, so instead I'll go full JPN and make a hax abuse team

Shaymin-Sky @ Wide Lens
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Substitute
- Protect

Kyogre @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Substitute

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Wide Guard
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Swagger
- Grass Knot
EVs need a lot of work obviously but otherwise it seems like an OK start. Lead with shaymin-s against darkrai and sub first turn while you have either klefki or whimsicott out on the side since they commonly have safeguard and will be fakeout bait. Kyogre's just kinda thrown on as filler, dunno what other legendary to use since I don't have much experience with ubers. GeoXern maybe? I have a pentaperfect modest one I got from a mass-clone givaway once.

kinda want to fit my azumarill or something else strong on there somewhere though as cleanup and to take advantage of all the flinching and confusion and paralysis going on

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battleoflegends-141527462

This tournament's gonna be a mess so I can't be assed making a decent team, so instead I'll go full JPN and make a hax abuse team

EVs need a lot of work obviously but otherwise it seems like an OK start. Lead with shaymin-s against darkrai and sub first turn while you have either klefki or whimsicott out on the side since they commonly have safeguard and will be fakeout bait. Kyogre's just kinda thrown on as filler, dunno what other legendary to use since I don't have much experience with ubers. GeoXern maybe? I have a pentaperfect modest one I got from a mass-clone givaway once.

kinda want to fit my azumarill or something else strong on there somewhere though as cleanup and to take advantage of all the flinching and confusion and paralysis going on

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battleoflegends-141527462
IIRC, Shaymin-S can't be boxed. He'll always revert to normal form

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hi, I'm looking for advice on which legendaries I should pick for this competition. I was thinking about using mega kangaskhan + xerneas (fake out + geomancy first turn) as one synergy pair, since kanga can help xerneas set up, or it can set up itself by using power-up punch on xerneas to get a safe +2 without doing too much damage to xerneas in return.

Obviously, I would want to pick a second legend and the rest of the team such that I can be prepared for dark void darkrai (lum berry, no brainer; and how common is this unnerve mewtwo likely to be in competition?) and weather teams (kyogre in particular), as well as the usual hijinks. I've only got a small list to choose from that I can collect myself in time for the competition, hopefully I won't be too bad off. :) Any recommendations would be appreciated. <3

My list of legendaries I can get in time for the competition.
Mewtwo,
Dialga,
Palkia,
Giratina,
Zekrom,
Kyurem, (have access to an average reshiram for Kyurem-W)
Xerneas, <3
Zygarde (no. why would I use this over garchomp?)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would use Kyurem-B. It has an excellent match-up vs all the base 90 ubers except for the bulkiest of Dialga (outrunning most with a neutral nature and not being walled by Groudon like Zekrom is). Idk what the calcs look like but it can surely put a decent chunk into Xerneas if it thinks it can set up on you. The only downside is that people overprepared for Darkrai may find it easy to exploit weaknesses. If you have a problem with that or you prefer to run Tailwind, Zekrom is a better choice.

For the second, perhaps Xerneas for a reliable Fairy type. My theorymoning prefers Arceus Fairy but Xerneas is also a great choice.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I would use Kyurem-B. It has an excellent match-up vs all the base 90 ubers except for the bulkiest of Dialga (outrunning most with a neutral nature and not being walled by Groudon like Zekrom is). Idk what the calcs look like but it can surely put a decent chunk into Xerneas if it thinks it can set up on you. The only downside is that people overprepared for Darkrai may find it easy to exploit weaknesses. If you have a problem with that or you prefer to run Tailwind, Zekrom is a better choice.

For the second, perhaps Xerneas for a reliable Fairy type. My theorymoning prefers Arceus Fairy but Xerneas is also a great choice.
Thanks for the reply. :) I see what you mean about match-ups, lol:

Running dragon claw over outrage, otherwise standard PS damage calc sets:

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 292-344 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 248-294 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 272-324 (53.9 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reshiram and zekrom're a challenge due to no outrage; but I guess that's what life orb is for:

252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Reshiram: 416-494 (121.9 - 144.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 354-421 (103.8 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And you're right: dialga's a pain:

252+ SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 630-744 (161.1 - 190.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dialga: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 57.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'll probably think about it for a little longer either way. :)

---

What are some non-restricted pokemon people are thinking of bringing on their team? I know that I'm going to bring mega kangaskhan, for example. I know everybody and their dog uses mega kang, but I've found it to be a reliable pokemon that I'm comfortable with using in doubles, so I keep using it, lol. I'm also thinking about bringing either heatran or scizor as a dedicated fairy check. What do you guys think?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Thanks for the reply. :) I see what you mean about match-ups, lol:

Running dragon claw over outrage, otherwise standard PS damage calc sets:

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 292-344 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 248-294 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 272-324 (53.9 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reshiram and zekrom're a challenge due to no outrage; but I guess that's what life orb is for:

252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Reshiram: 416-494 (121.9 - 144.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 354-421 (103.8 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And you're right: dialga's a pain:

252+ SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-B: 630-744 (161.1 - 190.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dialga: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 57.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'll probably think about it for a little longer either way. :)

---

What are some non-restricted pokemon people are thinking of bringing on their team? I know that I'm going to bring mega kangaskhan, for example. I know everybody and their dog uses mega kang, but I've found it to be a reliable pokemon that I'm comfortable with using in doubles, so I keep using it, lol. I'm also thinking about bringing either heatran or scizor as a dedicated fairy check. What do you guys think?
Just to elaborate, Kyurem-B should be running something along the lines of Draco Meteor / Fusion Bolt / Earth Power / Ice Beam. Draco Meteor is Kyurem-B's best nuke in doubles and nabs all kinds of OHKOs on Dragons so I won't bother running those calcs. There are alterations to be made of course - you can run Dragon Claw over Ice Beam if you don't care about Groudon an incredible amount. I don't recommend it unless the rest of your team is prepared for it since calcs are pretty appealing:

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 248-294 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's a neutral nature with no LO or SpA investment.

44 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 335-398 (82.9 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Running standard Smogon OU EVs with neutral nature and 44 SpA. 176 SpA EVs gives you a 56.3% chance to OHKO (i.e. minimum SpA EVs to give you an OHKO chance in your favor).

Kyurem-B can actually get away with not only not investing in Attack but running +Speed or +SpA mixed nature or even bulk if you so choose. Without any attack investment, Kyurem-B can almost OHKO Timid Kyogre with Fusion Bolt:

0 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 325-385 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

You need 80 Atk w/ LO to always ensure the OHKO: 80 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 343-406 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can obviously play around, but I think going for a special-based mixed with 80 Atk / 178 SpA / 252 Speed is a good start. There is no big deal going with a special mix because it still plays to Kyurem-B's strengths and blessed speed tier. Doubles emphasizes a lot of smart EV spreads so definitely play around with bulk too - for instance, Scarf Kyogre Water Spout hits pretty hard without resistances unless you can set up Tailwind or get speed checks in or run Storm Drain etcetc. And bring a Xern check because the calcs sucked vs it lol.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I don't really see the point of using Kyu-B when Kyurem-White is available... They have practically the same bulk and Kyu-W's Draco Meteors hit far harder on practically everything. It misses out on Fusion Bolt for Ogre (which takes ~80% from LO Draco anyway) but it can remove Steels with Fusion Flare and synergises far better with Hail with dat Blizzard.

Actually, that's a thought. Kyu-W+MegaBom Blizzspam? I don't have the mons for it but running HailRoom could be viable...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
It misses out on Fusion Bolt for Ogre
Um, this is a pretty big deal as well as the ability to run a reliable mixed set. I suggest you look up VGC 2010 videos which is the last time ubers have been allowed in a Gamefreak doubles tier. To say Kyogre was dominant is an understatement, though now there are more checks ready to shine. Also Fire isn't that great all things considered. Ferrothorn and Scizor (and maybe Mawile now?) are commonly paired with rain. Also it's fairly helpless versus Xerneas and that one gimmick Chansey you will probably see, compared to "at least I can try for a 2HKO". I will absolutely agree though that one of its major pluses is rendered useless in doubles (Outrage).

Can you list some calcs that show essential Draco Meteor OHKOs that Kyurem-W can nab that Kyurem-B can't?

Basically my main point is that being entirely special based and spamming attacks is not a good strategy to follow. Some things can do it but I feel that Kyurem plays to its strengths better mixed than just special.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darkrai: 219-258 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darkrai: 282-333 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 208-246 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Fusion Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 298-352 (93.7 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 201-237 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 261-307 (86.4 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 306-360 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 392-464 (97 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

With Life Orb Kyu-W could blast all of these. LO Kyu-B can OHKO Groudon as well but needs at least 176 Sp. Atk EVs to have a greater than 50% chance to do so. It also juuuuust gets the OHKO on Darkrai so the point there is moot with LO, but it needs a boosting item to do so. I get your point now, and I guess it depends on what you need to beat. Run Kyu-B if you need a check to rain, run Kyu-W for Blizz-spam and smacking things. ^_^

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
been dicking around on the PS ladder

abomasnow (I'm assuming scarf, only saw one with trick room) is everywhere. As is extremekiller arceus

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Age of Kings ethan06 I'm not the world's best battler, but one way to help kyurem-w combat kyogre might be to pair it up with mega charizard-y. Since char's drought activates when it mega evolves, it can take the weather away from kyogre pretty easily (and abomasnow, after reading Pyritie 's post), and kyurem-w would love to have the power of its fusion flare boosted in the sun. Type synergy is okay, but they'd definitely need more teammates to mitigate the glaring rock type weakness.

EDIT: Not to mention, char won't take up one of your ubers slots.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)