Archeops [qc 2/3] [reject 1/3] write up done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overview
########
Archeops is a very interesting Pokemon, it has a lot of pros and a lot of cons that affect is very greatly. Archeops is complimented with terrific dual attacking stats and a very extensive movepool with moves such as Earth Power, Stone Edge, and the ever so handy Knock Off. Despite all of these traits there are a lot of things that cause Archeops to not be the ou level titan that it appears to be. Such traits include the infamous ability Defeatist which cut's Archeops' amazing attacking stats in half which is not very good, it also has paper thin defenses which do not go very well especially when in tandem with Defeatist.

Acrobatics
########
name:Acrobatics
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Knock Off / U-Turn
item: n/a
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========
Archeops unfortunately, has to rely on itemless Acrobatics for the strongest possible Flying-type STAB making it unable to hold an item such as Life Orb or a choice item. On the bright side a 110 Base Power attack is very promising hitting Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Virizion, and Gallade for Super-effective damage. Stone Edge allows Archeops to nail Fire-types like Moltres and Delphox while also getting a STAB boost, however this can be substituted for Head Smash which is fifty percent stronger than Stone Edge and hits as strong as a non-Defeatist Rock Slide when in Defeatist range. Earth Power is a very good move allowing Archeops to hit common switch-ins such as Doublade, Cobalion, and Rhyperior super effectively. The fourth moveslot depends on what pokemon you want Archeops to beat. Knock off allows Archeops to bypass Pokemon such as Mismagius and Slowking. U-Turn is a good option as Archeops' terrific attacking stats make it a terrific pivot allowing to force lots of switches and U-Turn on said switch ins. Roost increases the longevity of Archeops and will get you out of Defeatist range should you be below 50% health, it is also very handy in conjunction with head smash as you are able to Roost off the recoil.

Set Details
========
The EV spread allows Archeops to hit like a truck and be incredibly fast. A naive nature is used to gain even more speed while not lowering either attack stats. The speed boost allows you to outspeed common threats such as Timid Delphox, Jolly Cobalion, and Jolly Virizion. The lack of an item allows Acrobatics to be 110 base power.

Usage Tips
========
Archeops is best used as a wallbreaker, breaking pokemon such as the previously mentioned Rhyperior and Amoonguss, however it can also be a solid late game cleaner due to its blistering speed. It is advised that Pokemon like Choice Scarf Emboar and Jolteon be removed before bringing in Archeops as they can come in a ruin Archeops' day via Wild Charge and Thunderbolt respectively.

Team Options
========
Dual screeners such as Uxie and Meowstic-M in order so give Archeops the ability to grant Archeops a lot more switch in opportunities. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Eelektross and Clawitzer to provide safe chances to bring Archeops in. Subpass Jolteon is especially good as it allows Archeops to come in on everything bar Infiltrator Pokemon and Sound moves. Specially based Grass and Electric-Types to beat Alomomola such as Jolteon and Calm Mind Virizion are appreciated. Pokemon who can beat Registeel such as Dugtrio or Swords Dance Virizion, with Dugtrio also being able to trap and kill Jolteon.

Other Options
########
An all out special attacker special attacker set might seem appealing but not using Archeops' terrific attack stat is not advised. Archeops has access to the coveted Defog along with no incompatibilities but it is simply to frail for this role. Choice Items can be utilized with switcheroo however Archeops does not really like to be locked into one move. Heat Wave can be used to do additional damage to Doublade and Cobalion along with Escavalier but hitting Rhyperior is very important hence why Archeops runs Earth Power. Earthquake can also be used to hit Registeel harder however it hits Doublade and Rhyperior for significantly less Damage. Hone Claws can be used with Stone Edge to boost both the accuracy of Stone Edge and boost Archeops' Attack stat to jaw dropping levels however Archeops is to fragile to utilize this. A suicide lead set of Stealth Rock, Taunt, Tailwind and a Endeavor can be used to a great amount of success but not utilizing the sheer power of Archeops is a mistake. Agility can be used to outspeed the entire tier after a boost which can be very beneficial. Crunch can be used to have a chance to OHKO Mega Banette after Stealth Rock but not removing an item is kind of disappointing. The final option is Hidden Power Ice can hit Gligar who is one of the best switch ins to Archeops.

Checks & Counters
########
**Alomomola**: Alomomola can take Archeops' all day while wishing back it's health. It can also beat Archeops one on one.

**Registeel**: Registeel is a pain for Archeops, sponging all of the things Archeops can throw at it and can retaliate with a Thunder Wave.

**Faster Pokemon**: Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Emboar and Jolteon can outspeed Archeops and hit it with a Wild charge and Thunderbolt respectively

**Specially Defensive Rhyperior**: Specially defensive Rhyperior will take every hit Archeops tries to throw at it and retaliate with a Rock Blast.

**Gligar**: Gligar is a terrific check being able to take every kind of hit bar a Hidden Power Ice.

**Status**: Status ruins Archeops' day specifically burns and paralysis so users especially Mega Banette and Whimsicott can check archeops.

Last edited:
I'd make the set this:

move 2: Stone Edge / Head Smash
move 4: Knock Off / U-turn / Roost

With Earthquake and Heat Wave in OO

Earth Power is necessary to 2HKO Doublade since Earthquake won't (unless you predict the switch with Knock Off). I guess it is almost the same as Heat Wave except Heat Wave can MISS and you AssVest Escavalier is still only 2HKOed, so there isn't as much of a merit in that. It also does around the same as Earthquake to other targets such as Cobalion so you don't lose out on much (other than like neutral targets). afaik nothing is hit hardest with Earthquake other than Registeel and Dragalge (which is 2HKOed by Stone Edge as well as Earthquake).

Rock Slide sucks don't mention it anywhere please.

Please don't make Choice Scarf set either.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention Rhyperior as one of the targets Earth Power hits. SpD Rhyperior can also go in C&C since it tanks Earth Power extremely easily.

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
Mention the Power Herb + Sky Attack combo in OO, it is really powerful and you can still use Acrobatics afterwards for reliable Flying STAB. Here are some more changes:

Overview
########
  • Is burd we know that :D
  • Great attacking stats
  • Very fast
  • Incredibly frail
  • Has to rely on itemless acrobatics for a good flying stab.
  • DEFEATIST
What about its typing, movepool, niche, and competition? Mention these traits. Also mention that it is weak to priority.

Acrobatics
########
name: Archeops Smash!
move 2: Stone Edge / Head Smash
move 4: Knock Off / U-Turn / Roost
item: n/a
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Naughty

Moves
========
  • Itemless acrobatics is Archeops' strongest flying STAB Sky Attack is more powerful, I would change it to "itemless Acrobatics is a reliable STAB move" or something like that and gives <--"gives"? Change it to "hits" Grass and Fighting-Types such as Amoonguss and Gallade.
  • Stone Edge allows Archeops to nail fire types such as Delphox and Moltres. It can forgo Stone Edge for Head Smash for a lot more power, at the cost of being worn down incredibly easily. Mention that The recoil from Head Smash can put Archeops into Defeatist range which is bad for obvious reasons
  • Earth Power is a very Important move on Archeops as it hits Doublade, Cobalion and Rhyperior, all common switch ins to Archeops incredibly hard.
  • The fourth moveslot depends on what pokemon you want Archeops to beat. Knock off allows Archeops to bypass Pokemon such as Mismagius and Slowking. Acrobatics already OHKOes Mismagius, give a different example. Also mention Knock Off's utility. U-Turn is a good option as Archeops' terrific attacking stats make it a terrific pivot allowing to force lots of switches and U-Turn on said switch ins. Roost increases the longevity of Archeops and will get you out of Defeatist range should you be below 50% health, it is also very handy in conjunction with head smash as you are able to Roost off the recoil. I would deslash Roost, it's not that good. Mention that even though it gets it out of Defeatist range, it will likely be knocked back into Defeatist range that same turn or even get OHKOed so it is kind of a waste of a move slot.
Set Details
========
  • The EV spread allows Archeops to hit incredibly hard and be insanely fast.
  • A Naive nature is used to increase the speed of Archeops without taking more damage from priority and not sacrificing the astounding attacking stats of Archeops. However if you feel that you need more power than a Naughty nature is preferred.
  • The lack of an item gives Archeops a 110 base power Flying STAB.

Usage Tips
========
  • Preferably bring it in on a passive pokemon such as Golbat and either predict the switch in and use the coverage of choice for the switch in or U-Turn out giving you momentum if it is on your moveset.
  • Archeops is usually used as a Wallbreaker but can also be used as a late game cleaner.
  • Try as hard as you can to keep it above 50% health otherwise Defeatist activates.

Team Options
========
  • Dual screeners such as Uxie and Meowstic-M the former of which can also give Memento support.
  • Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Eelektross and Clawitzer to provide safe chances to bring Archeops in. Don't forget Baton Pass.
  • Specially based Grass and Electric-Types so beat Alomomola such as Jolteon and Calm Mind Virizion.
  • Pokemon who can beat Registeel such as Dugtrio or Swords Dance Virizion.

Other Options
########
  • All out special attacker
  • Defog
  • Substitute
  • Choice Band and Choice Scarf with Switcheroo
  • Earthquake
  • Heat Wave
  • Hone Claws
  • Stealth Rock
  • Taunt
  • Agility
  • Tailwind
  • Heat Wave
  • Earthquake
  • Substitute You listed Heat Wave, Earthquake, and Substitute TWICE. Remove Substitute altogether, it takes up a move slot and helps put it into Defeatist range. Also Archeops doesn't need to boost its Speed lol. This section needs a big cleanup but here is a start:
  • All-Out Special Attacker
  • Choice Band / Scarf set with Switcheroo
  • Earthquake
  • Heat Wave
  • Hone Claws
  • Lead set with Taunt + SR
  • Hidden Power Ice to hit Gligar So yeah that's the improved version. I guess you could c/p that into C&C and remove the older version.
Checks & Counters
########
  • Alomomola can take Archeops' all day while wishing back it's health. It can also beat Archeops one on one.
  • Registeel is a pain for Archeops, sponging all of the things Archeops can throw at it and can retaliate with a Thunder Wave.
  • Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Emboar and Jolteon.
  • Specially defensive Rhyperior will take every hit Archeops tries to throw at it and retaliate with a Rock Blast.
  • Gligar is a terrific check being able to sponge every hit bar Hidden Power Ice What about priority?
Also, avoid using words like incredibly, terrific, and insanely in the analysis because it overhypes Archeops and makes it seem like the best thing on Earth when in fact it's not. Generally stick to milder phrases like "it hits very hard" or "hits (Pokemon) for good damage" or "(move) covers (Pokemon) and (Pokemon)"

I hope I helped out a lot!

Last edited:
Archeops with substitute can work to check mega banette,
252+ Atk Archeops Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Banette: 258-304 (77.7 - 91.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
I feel that a mention of crunch is needed due to this,

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

- Mention its weakness to priority (Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Aqua Jet)

[Acrobatics]

- Not really keen on Roost. Sure, Archeops can use it, but most things will probably just stay in to knock it into Defeatist range anyway. Maybe keep it in Moves, but I don't really feel it should be a slash.
- Always, always, always use Naive. Getting outsped by Virizion, Delphox, Cobalion, and Durant simply sucks ass when you can KO or severely dent all of them.
- Make special note of Jolteon's SubPass set as it can not only pass Subs to let Archeops come in more easily, but it can also utilize Wish to keep Archeops out of Defeatist range

[Other Options]

- I don't really like Sub tbh. Sure, it checks M-Bannette, but all it really does outside of that is activate Defeatist quicker imo.
- Add HP Ice. It's literally your only shot against Gligar. Just mention it has next to no use outside of that considering its low BP

Add /fix this, and consider the first burd

QC Approved 1/3

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Uhh, I kinda disagree with Head Smash being a slash, and I think it should just be mentioned in moves as an attack that hits hard even when in defeatist range, but that just seems like a sub par reason to lose a rock STAB outside of Defeatist. It definitely deserves a mention in moves but, not as a slash, SV agreed with me, not sure about Worldtour

QC Approved 2/3

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
Forgive me if I come off as childish and arrogant, but it seems like my post in this thread has been completely ignored. Is there some policy where you have to be QC or have a badge to contribute to analyses? Because I'm pretty sure this isn't the case so I would like to see some post or change acknowledging the presence of my post at least...

Forgive me if I come off as childish and arrogant, but it seems like my post in this thread has been completely ignored. Is there some policy where you have to be QC or have a badge to contribute to analyses? Because I'm pretty sure this isn't the case so I would like to see some post or change acknowledging the presence of my post at least...
I saw you're post and I know that I didn't really implement much of it but I have used archeops a lot and have tried out some of the other and they are decent basically I will probably incorporate some of the changes into the write up but basically some of the changes after trying the options have definitely been oo worthy and just because it's expansive doesn't mean that it is in need of a cleaning. When archeops "doesn't need more speed" is an argument you lose some credibility because Holstein is pretty common and outspending it then going for an earth power i find that very good. Of course this is via pivoting.

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
I saw you're post and I know that I didn't really implement much of it but I have used archeops a lot and have tried out some of the other and they are decent basically I will probably incorporate some of the changes into the write up but basically some of the changes after trying the options have definitely been oo worthy and just because it's expansive doesn't mean that it is in need of a cleaning. When archeops "doesn't need more speed" is an argument you lose some credibility because Holstein is pretty common and outspending it then going for an earth power i find that very good. Of course this is via pivoting.
Sorry about the (rather condescending) attitude in my two posts. Now that I think about it, Agility and Tailwind belong right where they are; OO. Thank you for incorporating some of the changes and good luck in your future endeavors here on Smogon :D

Do you mind adding a Endeavor set or adding the set in OO? I play with it a lot and I find that, its very easy to a) set rocks and and b) endeavor the opposing pokemon to something very low...

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Ranger Mike

QC REJECTED 1/3

Suicide Lead is the only viable set for this one, and we've decided to revamp the analysis. Sorry man :[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)