Resource XY LC Threat list

Sorry dude, I've been super busy (I'm just coming back, and yesterday needed to go to the hospital for an X-ray). They will get some after I finish doing my part of writing up an English seminar

I will get mine done today! I have been busy with a summer class, but it is finished now. Hopefully the forums start working better for me, soon.

Growlithe
Typing: Fire
Base Stats: 55 HP / 70 Atk / 45 Def / 70 SpA / 50 SpD / 60 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Flash Fire / Justified

Growlithe finds its niche in LC as one of the few Fire-types possessed of defensive viability. It boasts six resistances, including Fairy, and is blessed with inherently reasonable bulk, which is further augmented by its item of choice, Eviolite. This added longevity is supplemented by its healing move, Morning Sun, which is particularly effective in the presence of Sun. While its ability Flash Fire enables it to benefit from switching into Fire-type attacks, Intimidate provides more utility by lowering the opponent’s Attack by 1 stage. Coupled with Will-o-Wisp, which further halves the foe’s Attack, Growlithe renders most physical attackers severely crippled and puts a halt to set-up attempts with boosting moves. Lastly, STAB Flare Blitz in conjunction with Wild Charge are two powerful moves that gift Growlithe with good coverage and, coming off of its solid base 70 Attack stat, ensure that it is not a sitting duck.

I'm very sorry I haven't finished yet. I've been making a few trips to the hospital lately and I've also got work and summer school taking the rest of my time

Porygon
Typing: Normal
Base Stats: 65 HP / 60 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 75 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Trace / Download / Analytic

With a high Special Attack stat complemented by excellent bulk, Porygon is the quintessential bulky attacker. A Modest nature enables it to reach a Special Attack of 19, which can receive a 1.5x boost upon switch-in courtesy of its fantastic ability Download. Furthermore, it possesses a nifty STAB move in Tri Attack, which entails a 20% chance to burn, paralyze or freeze the opponent. In regards to boosting moves, Porygon has access to Agility, which raises its Speed by two stages. With investment, it is consequently capable of reaching a Speed stat of 26 and thus outspeeding the majority of the metagame, including prevalent threats such as Choice Scarf Pawniard. While its Agility set tends to utilize Berry Juice, it also commonly runs a bulkier set. Equipped with Eviolite and in possession of a reliable recovery move in Recover, Porygon becomes an utter nuisance to take down, all the while retaining its superb offensive capabilities.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Typing: Water / Rock
Base Stats: 35 HP / 40 Atk / 100 Def / 90 SpA / 55 SpD / 35 Spe
Abilities: Swift Swim / Shell Armor / Weak Armor

Omanyte has found its own niche as a defensive threat both impart to respectable defenses and access to each of the damaging hazards. Inherently, Omanyte is amazingly bulky and is boosted to magnificent levels by Eviolite, which allows it to capitalize on supporting the team. Omanyte's bulk is even further augmented by the ability Shell Armor, preventing Critical Hits from harming Omanyte, as well as possessing 5 nifty resistances are also quite nifty, allowing Omanyte to switch into common attacks with ease. A wonderful move pool allows for a plethora of options ranging from preventing set up to removing the item from the opposition. These traits, coupled with an average Special Attack stat uninvested, even prevents Omanyte from becoming worthless once it no longer is needed defensively.

Reactions: tcr

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Typing: Ground
Base Stats: 50 HP / 50 Atk / 95 Def / 40 SpA / 50 SpD / 35 Spe
Abilities: Rock Head / Lightningrod / Battle Armor

Cubone is blessed with the item Thick Club, doubling its attack already fine attack. With an Adamant nature and the Thick Club, an astounding 30 attack is obtained, granting the ability to outright 2HKO all pokemon in LC thanks to the amazing coverage Cubone possesses. After a single Swords Dance, literally nothing can take more than a single hit. However, while it may seem item dependent, Knock Off hardly maines Cubone. Without Thick Club, Cubone still manages to hit relatively hard and remains a nuisance to eliminate. And with a base 95 defense, Cubone is not exactly easy to revenge kill either. Even foes hidden behind a Substitute or hoping to live with a Focus Sash find themselves beaten as STAB Bonemerang bypass both rather easily. Effectively, Cubone has no true counters.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy

Typing: Rock / Water
Base Stats: 42 HP / 52 Atk / 67 Def / 39 SpA / 56 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Tough Claws / Sniper / Pickpocket

Binacle has a solid niche over other Shell Smashers in being able to easily remove fairly common walls, walls which would beat all other Shell Smash pokemon handly. Shell Smash turns Binacle into a monster which 2HKOes most of the metagame. After the boost is obtained, a startling 30 Attack and insane 28 speed are found; these stats are more than enough to turn Binacle into a monster which not only outspeed almost all Choice Scarf pokemon and even Sun Sweepers, but 2HKO most of the metagame. This power is even further boosted by the brilliant ability Tough Claws, making Binacle's Water STABs that much more potent. Binacle also makes a great sweeping partner for Tirtouga as it can wear down its checks allowing it to sweep later. Pleasantly, equipping Eviolite gives Binacle enough bulk to survive priority attacks, even at -1.

Last edited:

Type: Fire
Base Stats: 70 HP / 90 Atk / 45 Def / 15 SpA / 45 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Hustle / Inner Focus

Darumaka is one of the most powerful wallbreakers in LC, making use of its ability, Hustle, to punch major holes in the opposing team. Hustle augments Darumaka's already good attack by providing a 1.5x boost to it's attack stat, which is essentially a free Choice Band boost, while dropping the accuracy of its attacks by 20 percent. Equipping a Choice Scarf allows Darumaka to hit 22 speed, good enough to outpace the entire unboosted metagame. With a powerful STAB move in Flare Blitz at its disposal and 27 attack factoring in Hustle, Darumaka is able to OHKO essentially anything that does not resist it. Superpower and Rock Slide help round off its coverage by providing it with means to get past Fire-type resists. Darumaka also has access to U-turn, allowing it to scout the opposing team and provide its own team with offensive momentum. With the highest attack stat in the LC metagame and no safe switch-ins, Darumaka is a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys you can just edit your post, I don't really need verification that you reserve it, as I get an alert every time someone posts. Also, if you could add in some more information on Cubone and Binale that would be great n_n I will update op after this league game :o

Axew
Typing: Dragon
Base Stats: 46 HP / 87 Atk / 60 Def / 30 SpA / 40 SpD / 57 Spe
Abilities: Rivalry / Mold Breaker / Unnerve

With its raw strength, Axew doesn't need an expansive movepool to be able to punch holes in the opposing team. Its excellent ability Mold Breaker aids it in this endeavour, as it permits Axew to barrel through foes that possess otherwise annoying abilities such as Sturdy. While it can hold a Choice Band to augment its already impressive Attack stat, it often chooses to run Choice Scarf to boost its middling speed. Equipped with the latter item and a Jolly nature, it is able to reach a Speed stat of 24, allowing it to outspeed the entirety of the unboosted metagame and even select Choice Scarf users. Alternatively, it can also run a Dragon Dance set in conjunction with Eviolite, which improves its bulk in order to help it set up boosts. With a Jolly nature and at +1, it can outrun Choice Scarf users of the likes of Chinchou and Mienfoo. With Superpower to get past Steel- and Ice-types, Poison Jab and Iron Tail as options to help it get past Fairies, and Outrage to clean up late-game, Axew can be a potent offensive threat.

Last edited:

Clamperl
Typing: Water
Base Stats: 35 HP / 64 Atk / 85 Def / 74 SpA / 55 SpD / 32 Spe
Abilities: Shell Armor / Rattled

Clamperl distinguishes itself as Little Cup's most powerful Shell Smash user. Equipped with its signature item Deepseatooth, it reaches a potent Special Attack stat of 34. This is then doubled to a whopping 68 after a single Shell Smash boost and renders Clamperl capable of smashing through virtually the entire tier. Pokemon such as Chinchou and Slowpoke, which resist its STAB Surf and Ice Beam, are struck with Hidden Power Grass. Alternatively, it can opt to run Substitute to capitalize on a forced switch and protect itself from being revenge killed by strong priority users like Fletchling. It possesses an useful ability in Rattled, which increases its Speed by one stage if it is struck by a Dark-, Bug-, or Ghost-type attack. As such, Clamperl can switch into common moves like U-turn and even Knock Off if need be-though if possible, this should be avoided-, and benefit from it by reaching a Speed stat of 19, given a Timid nature and investment. Clamperl is also able to utilize Eviolite to bolster its defenses, enabling it to tank a hit and use the opportunity to set up. While this variant lacks the brute force that comes with the Deepseatooth, it possesses sufficient power of its own after a Shell Smash.

Last edited:
Alexandrine I would take out the part about Clamperl being a good switch-in to Knock Off, because losing DeapSeaTooth really cripples Clamperl and sorta takes away a major reason for using it. :]

"and Knock Off if need be"

There are not an over-abundance of good switch-ins to Knock Off and I would not claim to call Clamperl one of them, but in the dire circumstance that this happens- perhaps late-game- there is an upside to it at least.

EDIT: Have edited it to what I hope better reflects my intention with it.

Last edited:

Stunky

Typing: Poison / Dark
Base Stats: 63 HP / 63 Atk / 47 Def / 41 SpA / 41 SpD / 74 Spe
Abilities: Stench / Aftermath / Keen Eye
Stunky isn't usually thought of as a support Pokemon. However, due to having Defog, as well as a remarkable typing, Stunky can serve as a supporter and pivot for handling certain threats, similar in function to Pokemon like Archen and Foongus. Stunky isn't truly an attacker, but is able to get rid of quite a few threats that stand in the way of offensive teams. Stunky is one of the few Dark types with little to fear from the likes of Abra, Misdreavus, and Gastly, and can easily Pursuit trap them. Fighting types will certainly fear Play Rough, and Fairies will certainly not enjoy a STAB Sludge Bomb. Stunky is one of the few Pokemon in LC to have access to Memento, and does not fear Pawniard nearly as much as users like Misdreavus or Cottonee. Its ability, Aftermath, may also act as a method to punish your opponent by shaving off a quarter of their health when Stunky goes down.

Chinchou
Typing: Water / Electric
Base Stats: 75 HP / 38 Atk / 38 Def / 56 SpA / 56 SpD / 67 Spe
Abilities: Illuminate / Volt Absorb / Water Absorb
Typically Chinchou is used as a more defensive Pokemon, thanks to the rise of threats like Fletchling. Yet, Chinchou is still a powerful attacker by merit of its typing, movepool, and stats. As many Chinchou sit at 14 speed, offensive sets can easily get the jump on your opponent in various situations, including against slower Archen, Mienfoo, and more. Chinchou can make excellent use of Agility, blasting through common "Birdspam" teams. With 17 Speed, Chinchou can act as a faster Volt Switch user and provide players with the opportunity to immediately grab momentum after a KO. However, Chinchou is by no means a very strong sweeper, and thus has trouble dealing with many walls.

Frillish
Typing: Water / Ghost
Base Stats: 55 HP / 40 Atk / 50 Def / 65 SpA / 85 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Water Absorb / Cursed Body / Damp

Frillish makes for a good Choice Scarf user as it possesses respectable bulk, an interesting typing both offensively and defensively, and good coverage. It is able to inflict impressive damage with Water Spout if kept healthy, an endeavour in which it is aided due to it having the ability Water Absorb. This forces the opponent to be wary in utilizing Water-type moves, as Frillish is able to sponge them and power up its signature move in the process. Its ability Cursed Body, while not as commonly seen, is also something to be wary of given its 30% chance to Disable one of the foe's moves. Attacks such as Energy Ball and Ice Beam enable it to threaten the Pokemon that resist its STAB Water Spout, examples being Slowpoke and Cottonee respectively. It also has Shadow Ball to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage. Furthermore, it has an useful option in Trick, which lets it cripple walls by locking them into a single move. With a Timid nature and investment, it reaches 14 Speed, and with the aid of the Choice Scarf, is able to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at a Speed stat of 21.

========
That was offensive Frillish. Also, since Misdreavus was banned, we should probably get started on removing all mentions of it n__n

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think you should say things like recent Missy ban because after a few months it won't be recent anymore. Also, because the threatlist should be relevant for the current meta, I don't think you should mention the Missy ban at all because it's not very relevant to why Frillish is a threat. Ex: you don't say "because Sneasel is gone, Fletchling is now a top tier threat."

I don't know if first topic is updated. I checked it but I could wrong, so if he is missing too, I reserve Mantyke (Offensive e Defensive).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)