XY OU Bug King in the Sand, Mega Scizor.

Introduction:
Hello GUYS, Im T3aFalGa3 and this is my fourth RTM and competitive OU team ever so I'd really love if you could give some tips to me. Please forgive me English errors ,It's not my first language.
I build this team around my favorite mega and pokemon of all time, yes, Mega Scizor. I think that MScizor is pretty good at OU and one of the strongest pokemon at the moment, So i made a team with the objective supporting him. But i also want to use the other pokemon at full extent,
So i used as other membre of the team, TTar Exca sand Offense combo. Mega Scizor work pretty well with TTar Exca in the sand + other offensive pokemons like Calm Mind Clefable, Assault Vest Raikou and Greninja.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Team:

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Tyranitar, hazards suicide lead, Lead Tyranitar is great as not only does it reliably gets up rocks to provide offensive pressure, , it also used to also provide Sand support for Excadrill, and Excadrill under Sand is just a complete monster.
Pursuit allows Tyranitar to checkmate Gengar, Starmie, Latias, and Latios, hitting them before they can retaliate. Earthquake is very important for hitting Aegislash, Lucario, Heatran, Bisharp, and Excadrill harder than any other move does. Ice Beam provides Tyranitar with a important coverage move to hit some of its common checks and counters really hard, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, as well as deal solid damage to Hippowdon.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Excadrill, Sand Rush, Jolly Nature is used to ensure that Excadrill at least Speed ties with opposing Sand Rush Excadrill and outspeeds max Speed base 80 Speed Pokemon outside of sand.
The Speed gained from Sand Rush significantly improves Excadrill's offensive presence, improving its ability to revenge kill or possibly even sweep. Earthquake hits hard, it is capable of taking down most Pokemon in a single strike. Iron Head is a handy coverage move that's useful for damaging most Ground-type resists and is extremely effective against Fairy-types. Rock Slide grants coverage against specific Pokemon immune to Ground-type moves that take little damage from Iron Head, such as Flying-types like Thundurus and Talonflame. Rapid Spin can provide the team with semi-consistent anti-entry hazard support in addition to functioning as a top-notch attacker/revenge killer.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable, Magic Guard + Calm Mind, The key to this set's success is Magic Guard. With this ability, Clefable is completely uninhibited by status moves, allowing it to boost in the face of weak walls such as Chansey and Quagsire. In light of other possibilities, Clefable is able to use Magic Guard in tandem with Soft-Boiled.
Calm Mind bolsters Clefable's special stats, allowing it to both withstand special attacks with greater ease as well as dish out moderately strong attacks of its own after a few boosts. Moonblast is a must with any Clefable really, as it is its most reliable STAB move. Some key benchmarks to keep note of is that Clefable must have two boosts to OHKO Latias, Assault Vest Conkeldurr, and Mandibuzz. Soft-Boiled is absolutely necessary to keep replenishing Clefable's health in between setup. Flamethrower does well in damaging most Steel-types; for instance, after a single boost, it OHKOes Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou, Assault Vest, The EVs provide enough Speed to outrun Thundurus and give Raikou a good enough damage output, with the rest in Special Defense to get a bit more special bulk out of the Assault Vest.
Thunderbolt is Raikou's reliable STAB; it has the highest damage output and poses a great threat to Water-types and Mega Charizard Y, which Raikou is generally supposed to check. Volt Switch gives it a safe move to pivot and wear down defensive threats with, which works especially well in conjunction with entry hazards. Hidden Power Ice is compulsory coverage to hit Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, which otherwise completely wall Raikou. Shadow Ball for 2HKOing Latios.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam

Greninja, All-Out Attacker, Hydro Pump is the most powerful special attack that Greninja can opt to run outside of Hyper Beam, benefits from great coverage, and should be used against bulkier targets in general. Ice Beam is essential for this set, as it provides coverage against Grass- and Dragon-types, and also operates as Greninja's main "STAB" move if Hydro Pump's inaccuracy is too risky. Extrasensory is nearly a requirement, as it allows Greninja to heavily damage Mega Venusaur and Keldeo, two of the most common defensive and offensive threats in the metagame, respectively. It also hits several other important counters, including Tentacruel and Conkeldurr. Hidden Power Fire can be used to reliably hit an important list of targets, especially Ferrothorn, specially defensive Scizor, and Forretress.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 44 Atk / 248 HP / 100 SpD / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Roost

The main Star, Bulky swords dance, The EVs purpose is to allow Scizor to set up on specific threats. 248 HP EV investment makes Scizor as bulky as possible and reduces Stealth Rock damage, while 116 Defense EVs and 100 Special Defense EVs prevent Scizor from being 2HKOed by anything weaker than Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and Aegislash's Shadow Ball, respectively.
Swords Dance allows Scizor to easily sweep teams, and thanks to this set's focus on bulk, it will have ample opportunities to set up. Roost allows Scizor to set up on anything that cannot 2HKO it, such as Garchomp without Fire Blast and Excadrill, and prevents Scizor from being worn down before it can sweep. Bullet Punch is Scizor's main attacking move, packing an effective 60 Base Power thanks to Technician and making up for Scizor's uninvested Speed. Knock Off allows Scizor to get a solid hit on many Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch, such as Rotom-W, and can also be of use to cripple common switch-ins such as Heatran.

Threat List:
Aegislash: Mixed.

Breloom: Lead.
Charizard Mega X : Dragon Dance.
Charizard Mega Y.
Dragonite.
Suicune: Calm Mind.
Chansey.
Gliscor: Substitute + Protect.
Venusaur Mega.
Heatran.
Quagsire.
Skarmory.

- Stall Teams.

So this was my team, hope you leave suggestions on what I should remove/add/do. I'd love you to help me. Thanks for reading and Good Luck to all of you.

Thanks for Reading, Please Leave Suggestions!

Change Log:
-Tyranitar's nature changed from Jolly to Naive.
-Tyranitar' Ice Punch changed to Ice Beam.
-Excadrill's nature changed from Jolly to adamant.​

Last edited:
Change excadrill to adamant RIGHT NOW! It gain nothing from a jolly nature, as adamant already makes it the fastest mon in the game, hitting 550 speed in sand.

As for TTar, run ice beam >punch and naive > jolly
This allows you to hit lando and gliscor a lot harder :]

And with greninja,
Hidden Power Fire can be used to reliably hit a smaller, but equally important list of targets, especially Ferrothorn, specially defensive Scizor,
Smaller then what e.e stop copying the analyze and write what it does on YOUR team, thanks e.e and running dark pulse > hp fire would make aegi less of a threat...

Raikyo kinda seems like the weak link on this team... And how is gliscor a threat to this team? You can setup on it with both scizor and clefable! You can also handle it with hp ice from raikyo, Ice beam from ninja, and it need to carry knock off or ice fang to even hit gliscor...

Anyways, that's it for me, good luck

Cheers! ^^

Ups, I forgot to suggest changing raikyo to scarfed magnezone, as it can trap skarmory, and help breaking stall that way ^^ running hp grass on it would also nail quagmires that try to kill it ^^

harsha edit: don't double post

Last edited by a moderator:
Change excadrill to adamant RIGHT NOW! It gain nothing from a jolly nature, as adamant already makes it the fastest mon in the game, hitting 550 speed in sand.

As for TTar, run ice beam >punch and naive > jolly
This allows you to hit lando and gliscor a lot harder :]

And with greninja,
Smaller then what e.e stop copying the analyze and write what it does on YOUR team, thanks e.e and running dark pulse > hp fire would make aegi less of a threat...

Raikyo kinda seems like the weak link on this team... And how is gliscor a threat to this team? You can setup on it with both scizor and clefable! You can also handle it with hp ice from raikyo, Ice beam from ninja, and it need to carry knock off or ice fang to even hit gliscor...

Anyways, that's it for me, good luck

Cheers! ^^
Ups, I forgot to suggest changing raikyo to scarfed magnezone, as it can trap skarmory, and help breaking stall that way ^^ running hp grass on it would also nail quagmires that try to kill it ^^
Thanks a lot for the rate, WideTomato.
-I will make sure to switch Excadrill nature to admant.
-And Ice Beam over Ice punch sounds like a good idea, So I will also change TTar's nature.
-I will also try Scarfed Magnezone with Hidden Grass. I think it will help a lot to deal to Quagsire.

Edit: I think I will keep HP Fire on Greninja, Because I only have this and the Flamethrower on Clefable to deal damage to steel types pokemon like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Forretres.

Last edited:

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps you could try out Talonflame over something like Raikou to deal with stall a little bit better. Raikou is a decent pivot Pokemon but this team doesn't put too much pressure on stall, and would probably have to rely on Quagsire to be killed off before Scizor can sweep. Stuff like MVenu can mess with this team a good amount especially if it's the HP Fire variant as you'd probably need to whittle its health down a little, then proceed to finish it off with Greninja Extrasensory. Exca + Tar might work as well but Exca takes a good amount from Giga Drain and it's a nuisance to pull off since you'd take more damage than you'd actually deal as Venusaur can just hit and run. Running the BU + Taunt set in particular may prove to be very helpful to you against stall, as it handles Quagsire, Chansey, Skarmory, and Gliscor easily. It can even beat Heatran granted it doesn't run Ancient Power, but then again, most defensive Heatran don't really run AP and usually opt for SR/Protect/Toxic/WoW/Roar/Lava Plume. Of course, there's always the option of running something like WoW over Bulk Up if you just want pure utility for your Talonflame which could help against Tyranitar switch-ins, though it seems that your biggest problem is against stall teams.

Talonflame provides you not only a way to handle stall, but can prove to be an important revenge killer if it's too daunting to go to Tyranitar and switch to Excadrill for the Sand Rush boost. A weakened mega Zard or DDNite, for example, can be picked off by Talonflame. Though admittedly losing Raikou would make you a bit weaker to things like Thundurus, having Tar + Exca combo seems adequate enough to handle something like Thundy and I wouldn't worry too much about it. In a worst case scenario you can use Scizor to tank a hit and pick it off with Knock Off or allow Greninja to be paralyzed in order to finish it off. Either way, I think Talonflame would be great for this team especially since you're running Rapid Spin Excadrill with nothing to really capitalize on the lack of hazards per se, Exca + Talon is a great combo and it works especially well for teams weak to stall.

Talonflame w/ Leftovers
Careful 248 hp / 252 spdef / 8 spe
Brave Bird / Taunt / Bulk Up / Roost

If you don't want to run Talonflame as a set-up sweeper then WoW is always an option, it's just that the Taunt BU set handles stall a bit better since it can beat Heatran (that don't pack Ancientpower or Stone Edge).

Good luck with this team, hope I helped =)

Perhaps you could try out Talonflame over something like Raikou to deal with stall a little bit better. Raikou is a decent pivot Pokemon but this team doesn't put too much pressure on stall, and would probably have to rely on Quagsire to be killed off before Scizor can sweep. Stuff like MVenu can mess with this team a good amount especially if it's the HP Fire variant as you'd probably need to whittle its health down a little, then proceed to finish it off with Greninja Extrasensory. Exca + Tar might work as well but Exca takes a good amount from Giga Drain and it's a nuisance to pull off since you'd take more damage than you'd actually deal as Venusaur can just hit and run. Running the BU + Taunt set in particular may prove to be very helpful to you against stall, as it handles Quagsire, Chansey, Skarmory, and Gliscor easily. It can even beat Heatran granted it doesn't run Ancient Power, but then again, most defensive Heatran don't really run AP and usually opt for SR/Protect/Toxic/WoW/Roar/Lava Plume. Of course, there's always the option of running something like WoW over Bulk Up if you just want pure utility for your Talonflame which could help against Tyranitar switch-ins, though it seems that your biggest problem is against stall teams.

Talonflame provides you not only a way to handle stall, but can prove to be an important revenge killer if it's too daunting to go to Tyranitar and switch to Excadrill for the Sand Rush boost. A weakened mega Zard or DDNite, for example, can be picked off by Talonflame. Though admittedly losing Raikou would make you a bit weaker to things like Thundurus, having Tar + Exca combo seems adequate enough to handle something like Thundy and I wouldn't worry too much about it. In a worst case scenario you can use Scizor to tank a hit and pick it off with Knock Off or allow Greninja to be paralyzed in order to finish it off. Either way, I think Talonflame would be great for this team especially since you're running Rapid Spin Excadrill with nothing to really capitalize on the lack of hazards per se, Exca + Talon is a great combo and it works especially well for teams weak to stall.

Talonflame w/ Leftovers
Careful 248 hp / 252 spdef / 8 spe
Brave Bird / Taunt / Bulk Up / Roost

If you don't want to run Talonflame as a set-up sweeper then WoW is always an option, it's just that the Taunt BU set handles stall a bit better since it can beat Heatran (that don't pack Ancientpower or Stone Edge).

Good luck with this team, hope I helped =)
Thank you a lot Plus for your suggestion, I will definitely use Talonflame instead of Raikou, As you said Stall team are my biggest probleme, I lost twice 6-0 to Stall teams, SoI will try the set you suggested ann also Wow Talonflame, And see who will suit my Team better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)