Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Some people seem to be saying "Why Lucina over Chrom", but I could easily ask the reverse: Why Chrom over Lucina?

IMO Chrom is actually kinda boring. Lucina at least has the "time traveller from the post-apocalyptic future" thing going for her, and she helps to balance the otherwise skewed gender ratio in the game.

So far, we've got 36 characters out. Who remains?
At this stage I'm reasonably confident that aside from Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur, no one will be cut from brawl. That brings the roster up to 47 just from veterans. I'm betting we haven't quite seen all the newcomers either; my final guess is 2 more newcomers for a roster of 49, with Random making up a nice 5x10 grid.

I don't know how much stock I'd put in the article you linked though, considering it's from 2009...

Lucas...and either Falco or Wolf.
That was my previous opinion, but with Toon Link and now Lucina I think the other clone-ish characters have got a pretty good chance.

I don't see ROB or Ice Climbers going, they're both pretty unique in both playstyle and representation. Plus IC has Melee Veteran status, which I reckon counts for a lot.

G&W was confirmed by Sakurai after appearing in the Pac-Man video.

I think 49 characters is likely the number the game will hit, (as it will even out the grid with the random) and it looks like we'll hit that number with the "obvious" vets anyway. There have been 36 confirmed characters (37 including G&W, 39 if the 3 mii fighters take up different slots as I've been led to believe) so we're probably looking at 10-12 additional characters.

Jigglypuff, Ness, Wario, Ganondorf, and Meta Knight should be 100% guaranteed, and there's likely 1-3 new characters we haven't seen yet (we know there is at least one). That might leave 4-6 spots for the Ice Climbers, Lucas, Falco, ROB, Mewtwo or Wolf (Snake is almost certainly gone), which is enough room for all of them (but probably not Mewtwo) to make the cut.

Of course, there's really no reason to expect 49 will be the exact number of characters, as the grid could easily be something like 4 rows of 13 rather than 5 rows of 10. With only a couple of new character announcements left, and the announcement of Lucina bringing hope to the older "clone" characters, I also wouldn't be surprised if only Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur got the boot.

You know that's not actually Sakurai's Twitter right?

I also doubt the Miis will take up 3 slots. They have many more customisation options than just the three fighter types, so I think it'll all come under the one slot.

Aside from that it seems we're in agreement. I do also think it's possible for it to go to a 4x13 or even a 4x12 with more cuts and/or fewer newcomers, but I highly doubt it'll be outside those extremes and I think 49 is the most likely.

Why are you guys so convinced that Snake is getting cut? And what's with the idea that we have almost no new characters left?

edit: to be clear, I'm not just talking about you two. There are a lot of people who've been convinced of those two things (even when the latter has been said since the Greninja reveal).

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're ignoring the fact that those are Nintendo characters, Snake is not a Nintendo property so the position of third party character would be one that cannot be so careless.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
If Snake is returning for SSB4, then Hideo Kojima himself doesn't even know about it. Sakurai said last year that they were having trouble getting the Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS hardware, so there is a big chance that the Ice Climbers will either be reworked or cut. There is no indication at all that ROB won't return that I can find, though. I'm sure that including previous characters and playstyles is high on the list of priorities for the next Smash Bros games.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would be glad if Ice Climbers are gone. I fucking hate those motherfuckers.

On another note, I remember reading somewhere that Kojima actually wants Snake in the next Smash, or something along the lines.

Why would any of this matter now more than 6 years ago in Brawl?
Mostly because we now have 2 more 3rd party characters then we did then, both of which have had a larger presence on Nintendo Consoles and gaming history as a whole.
And Focus's link is pretty damming too. This far into development you'd expect him to know, considering the legal processes that would have to be done to include 3rd party characters.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Metal Gear Solid was the first video game to explicitly try to be a movie, which is what every AAA game tries to do these days. Hideo Kojima is also still the first person that most people think of when asked about video game auteurs, and one of the few. I'd say you were confusing seniority with importance (too many people do when it comes to games), but Metal Gear came out before Megaman and only one of those two games was a genre starter.

Not that I think Snake, as fun as he was, is getting in.

Last edited:

Pic of the day. Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Pic of the day. Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore.
That's the best news I've heard all week. Star KOes are satisfying and all, but it's frustrating beyond all hell to lose a match just because they took too long to die at the last second.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
If Snake is returning for SSB4, then Hideo Kojima himself doesn't even know about it. Sakurai said last year that they were having trouble getting the Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS hardware, so there is a big chance that the Ice Climbers will either be reworked or cut. There is no indication at all that ROB won't return that I can find, though. I'm sure that including previous characters and playstyles is high on the list of priorities for the next Smash Bros games.
You seem to be forgetting that they then went and made Rosalina + Luma... Which is a far more complicated character than the Ice Climbers considering part of her moveset is to *actively* desync and battle at range using Luma. I can't see how that paring is any less intensive than the Ice Climbers, and I would be very disappointed if they were cut due to that when Rosalina exists.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It may be more complicated from a player perspective but with IC's lets consider that the 2nd one is AI, and at some worst random possibility players decide to duke 4 IC bots against each other then the 3DS has to run all of that for what is essentially 8 AI. The Luma is player controlled to a degree.

I mean if anyone can do it Sakurai can, and I'd be really sad to see them go despite being grabby little jerks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)