Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Managed to get my first 12, and walked away with a pack + 500 gold. Just need to make sure I get 12 in all my runs from now on so I can get Naxrammus free right??

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Burning his only hard removal early game is pretty dope... considering it's the druid you'll probably thank him 5 turns later.
Nah dude I think all-in plays like that are horrible unless you're planning to win. If he Hexed then you're left with (at best) 2 2/2's or a pair of 1/1's and a 3/2.

That's not good.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It's fun, that's what really counts unless you're pushing for Top # Legend. 8) This is also why you always Turn 4 Rag as a Druid when possible. But seriously, token Druid running Blood Knight it's not like you probably run any better Hex targets anyway. ;/ Cenarius I suppose. I always feel kinda underwhelmed whenever I have to Hex an Ancient of Lore but some Druids aren't running the really juicy targets like Cairne, Sunwalker, Ancient of War.

On my phone: mr hunter actually has a great miracle matchup thanks to hound master and freezing trap, you also can flare kill stealthed auctioneers.

Hand lock is def in hunters favor, you kill them too fast. Zoo and backspace rogue aren't in your favor but turtle/hm or buzzard/hounds(just hounds vs rogue) win you the matchups so it's w/e
It's okay against Miracle Rogue but Face is better. While Midrange mucks around with extremely attractive Sap targets, Face already has them in single-digit HP. They force more removal out before Auctioneer and put more pressure on their life total to blank their ability to control the board by running their face into things. Houndmaster is pretty attractive against aggro at least.

Warlock doesn't really matter either way, you donk Handlock and the Zoo matchup is all about Explosive Trap and UTH which both Hunter decks use.

Last edited:
Come get this work!

That's twice now where I've opened a Legendary after an Epic in back-to-back packs. When I pulled Grom, I opened Ancient of Lore in the pack before it. I pulled Gladiator's Longbow in the pack before this one. Did I crack the code? :P

I seem to be getting a lot of unusually giant monsters lately.

Also the first time I've ever seen Giants Mage.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I really wanna get into this game since it looks cool and all.. but I've got a question. Will I have a hard time trying to grasp the basics? Since that seems to be the case with all the games like this, very hard to actually get into.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
How much experience do you have with TCGs? If you've played anything like Magic: The Gathering, YugiOh!, or even Pokemon TCG, you'll at least understand the bare bones basics. It's fairly easy to pick up in my opinion. The problem is putting it back down (the game is addicting, like any regular CCG).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There's also the fact that there isn't dozens of years of card backlogs and expansions every few months to go through as can be the case with TCGs.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I really wanna get into this game since it looks cool and all.. but I've got a question. Will I have a hard time trying to grasp the basics? Since that seems to be the case with all the games like this, very hard to actually get into.
You're going to have a hard time. Having a starter deck (investing no money) going against people like me who have been in this game for over a year is going to be extremely tough.

That being said the rule book isn't that complicated. There are a few situations where the rules are funny:

Sylvanas' Deathrattle triggers before Deathrattle: reincarnation. Trading a Carine or Harvest into a Sylvanas means you keep the second phase.
There is no minion damage in this game. This is the hardest one to actually grasp. Example: A +1/+1 minion, a 3/3, has been buffed into a 4/4; however it's taken one point on it health bar. Silencing it will make it a 3/3 again, not a 3/2.

It gets a bit more complicated than that with buffs / silence but the idea is still the same: minion damage does not exist in the games eyes.

Otherwise it's a very fluid game that is pretty easy to pick up. If you want some pointers on starting decks I'm more than happy to help with that.

EDIT:

Creatures' abilities trigger in the order they were played (which makes the Sylvanas rule an exception to this one). So if you play a Ragnaros and then a Baron Geddon, Ragnaros will trigger first and then Baron.

This is also applied with secrets. If you play a Explosive Trap then a Freezing Trap the Explosive will go off first, then if the creature lives, the Freezing will go off first.

HOWEVER if you play the Freezing Trap first then the Explosive Trap will not activate since it has nothing to activate it. I wish I could explain this better but you've never played the game and I only have game examples so sorry!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're going to have a hard time. Having a starter deck (investing no money) going against people like me who have been in this game for over a year is going to be extremely tough.

That being said the rule book isn't that complicated. There are a few situations where the rules are funny:

Sylvanas' Deathrattle triggers before Deathrattle: reincarnation. Trading a Carine or Harvest into a Sylvanas means you keep the second phase.
There is no minion damage in this game. This is the hardest one to actually grasp. Example: A +1/+1 minion, a 3/3, has been buffed into a 4/4; however it's taken one point on it health bar. Silencing it will make it a 3/3 again, not a 3/2.

It gets a bit more complicated than that with buffs / silence but the idea is still the same: minion damage does not exist in the games eyes.

Otherwise it's a very fluid game that is pretty easy to pick up. If you want some pointers on starting decks I'm more than happy to help with that.

EDIT:

Creatures' abilities trigger in the order they were played (which makes the Sylvanas rule an exception to this one). So if you play a Ragnaros and then a Baron Geddon, Ragnaros will trigger first and then Baron.

This is also applied with secrets. If you play a Explosive Trap then a Freezing Trap the Explosive will go off first, then if the creature lives, the Freezing will go off first.

HOWEVER if you play the Freezing Trap first then the Explosive Trap will not activate since it has nothing to activate it. I wish I could explain this better but you've never played the game and I only have game examples so sorry!
I literally only understood the first line. Thanks though, I might get into it anyway.

Matthew

I literally only understood the first line. Thanks though, I might get into it anyway.
All those lines will make sense in less than a week of playing. I didn't mean to tell you not to: it's a very fun game and I started for free too and it's great!

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Arikado
Matthew is really making it harder going into niche rules you'll only encounter very later in higher ranked games. And by that time it'll most likely be intuitive for you. Don't get too put off by that.

I have near zero TCG experience, and yet this game was fluid enough to pick up, Blizzard has done a very good job of making a game so grounded in a very basic and a fundamental ruleset.

Sure you'll have a hard time against older players with better cards but that's the law in any F2P/TGC game ever. But the fact that losing in this game has zero penalty and a W/L ratio is deemed redundant in your experience makes it really easy for you to have fun without worrying about statistics. Plus there's an extremely active unranked mode where you can grind for quests and gold without any undue worries in your own time, the game in no way pressures you. Like really. There aren't any silly "win streak" or "domination" achievement forcing you to be consistently play a high level game.

And of course there's the random draw arena mode where you're pitched on a level ground with all players around the world regardless of their collection size.

I can only give you my example... I have a very limited collection and have never spent a dime on the game and am relatively new... (only 2 months old)
but despite that using a completely f2p deck with no legendaries and one hard earned epic I'm at rank 14 atm.... and climbing.

Arikado

I don't really play any card games competitively and never have; Hearthstone is enjoyable on a casual level and the tutorial levels give a pretty good explanation on how it works. Even if the overlong turn timer still annoys me.

Yeah the amount of time they give you to make a move is BS; an average move shouldn't take more than a few seconds. We need a perma-Nozdromu effect on the board

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
dude combo-wmbo-ing plus figuring out the best possible lethal, late game does take time...

why does everyone under-appreciate the timer?

For me, it's because I'm used to a shorter timer and having to make moves in a timely manner; play slow, even if unintentionally in just about any competitive TCG and you can get penalized for it.

Now I agree there are some circumstances that could warrant maybe a minute to put in a complex combo, but your basic move shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. The majority of people that slow play are pricks that want you to d/c out of annoyance for a free win or people with bad connections that shouldn't be playing anyways. So if they're hitting the rope countdown constantly, they should be penalized at least either in the form of life loss (I think -10 is a nice harsh number to discourage stalling), card loss (-5 cards and that's less options they have and are closer to decking out for life loss), or taking away a mana crystal or two (so their setups are a lot slower).

aVocado

@ Everstone
Cool stuff. I downloaded the game and it seems like something I'd be addicted to.. trying to unlock Heroes right now.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Loatheb will be the new auto-include imo, all upside, its actually awesome in zoo, but so good in every deck. Even makes a play like Swipe either a full turn play or totally unplayable. Also Miracle Rogue will still be good, its still just a one of card that effects only one turn. No doubt its super strong though.

Also deathrattle mechanics (order and stuff) are getting tweaked in Naxx update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)