Multifaction/FFA Space War 2: The Postgame Wars

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I can't read Yellow's agent name due to bright on bright or my White one because of white on white. Just thought I would point it out.

Also wooh listed first in The Alliance GG ALL

I'm sorry penguin344 ;_;. The early alliance all agreed that we would love to have you in the alliance, but unfortunately 2 of them had you as (super-)enemies. Then the alliance built up and everyone besides me had you as a (super-)enemy lol. For the record zorbees wasn't actually part of the alliance... I'm not sure why he won? I'm pretty sure LN had a fool-proof plan of screwing him over and a win still being inevitable, but maybe he ditched the idea in favour of finishing the game early. I don't really mind! ^_^

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Q: Did zorbees win?
A: It depended on what UncleSam said. I gave zorbees the win because it was possible to do so and the last I heard from US he said that he was planning on letting zorbees win along with the alliance. If he changed his mind, he did not let me know.

Q: Was this game broken?
A: Almost certainly yes.

The alliance that formed in the beginning of the game with UncleSam, Flamestrike, GeneralSpoon, Celever, and Lady Salamence were able to stick together with no tension within that alliance whatsoever. This would have been moderately OK if a counter-alliance had formed, but as it happened in the game some of the critical players necessary to make such a counter-alliance idled, leaving the rest of the game to sit back and watch as their ships were picked off one by one.

Q: What should have been different in this game to make it more interesting?
A: There were a number of things about the structure of the game that made perma-alliances too easy to make. First, the fact that each ship had 4 HP essentially demanded that a group of 4 members in it (at least) to be successful. If you're in a group with 4+ people in it, there aren't many other options to choose from if you want to form a 4 man group of your own, and leaving the alliance is a logistically difficult task if you still want to be in a position to win the game. Had each ship had 3 HP, as with the previous Space War game, alliances could have been more fluid (although I believe they still might not have been due to certain other factors which I will now talk about).

A huge contributor in letting this alliance steamroll the game was the way that win conditions worked. The points system should have been done away with, honestly, and replaced with "You win if both ships of the following four players, ___ ___ ___ ___, are sunk before both of yours are." This would have precluded Flamestrike and Celever from being in the same alliance, and in general made the game much more interesting.

Q: Was EMP too powerful?
A: Maybe. There were a lot of built-in nerfs to EMP (even a fully powered EMP loses to a fully powered forcefield or a fully-powered personnel) that, had there been a counter-alliance, could have been used to protect themselves from EMPs. The only really broken aspect of EMPs was EMP support. EMP support was really strong, perhaps too strong, since personnel/forcefield support left your own ship essentially helpless while there was no downside to supporting a friend with a tier 1 EMP.

Even though EMP may have been too strong, there was nothing stopping other players from forming a mega-alliance just as UncleSam did and utilizing EMPs of their own.

Q: MVP?
UncleSam.

Q: LVP?
That's just mean. One of the idlers, for sure.

Q: Most affected by turtles who sunk all of their points into forcefield and personnel?
Cancerous.

I hope it was fun despite the flaws.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
John Troussov2:22 PM
confirming this is askaninjask?

Matthew <lol my real name>2:25 PM
yes

hi acklow

i will update my game GOD

3:02 PM
Matthew <keepin it off google> has gone offline.

3:03 PM
Matthew <i am a moderator> has come online.

John Troussov3:43 PM
lol

Your welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleSam

Leading this village
Alliance Spreadsheet
Logs Doc
#starwars channel Logs

This was a very fun game, though it was fairly simple to control due to the fact that enemies did not share any common targets with one another. This necessitated that non-enemies shared VERY compatible win conditions with another. As a result of this, once I found Flamestrike and General Spoon I was able to reverse-engineer the entire Win Condition chart and thereafter lie to people during enemy swaps knowing 100% that I was not giving them their own name as an enemy of mine once I had even one of their basic enemies. I added Celever and Lady Salamence to the alliance early on because they were honest with their win conditions and could fit quite easily into winning with the rest of us.

zorbees was a late addition only as a result of me running numbers and ensuring that, if I sacked one ship of mine, he could get to 6 points and still win easily with the rest of us. I never added him to our sheet because I was cautious as to give up my information advantage over the rest of the game and Celever didn't really want him to win at all, but given that the rest of us were going to win regardless I decided to give zorbees the win with the rest of us, especially since aska messed up his win condition and therefore he was playing at a disadvantage for most of the game. The only reason I ever favored causing him to lose (early on) was because I thought he was straight lying to me about his win condition, but later I realized that he thought he was telling the truth and it was on aska not him...the fact that everyone in the alliance got freaked out when zorbees gave General Spoon's win condition perfectly and figured he *must* have his own alliance/information source was kind of funny in retrospect though. We were all geared up to fight a massive war with a zorbees alliance with mills in the middle as a neutral in an otherwise 5v5 game...

Cancerous and penguin344 were active and I am sorry that there was simply no way to have either of you two win with us; billymills was the only mathematically possible loser who could've won with us bu it would've required literally everyone in our alliance saccing a ship iirc, and it just seemed way too implausible to actually do; as a result, we simply offed him first instead.

PokeguyNXB was a massive pain to get in touch with and I really wasn't sorry that we eliminated him first, communicating with him was going to be a nightmare if I had to keep doing it (I had to send him like a dozen PMs before he responded to anything and generally he responded not with the information I requested but with statements like 'what?').

s_aman was active via PM and was truthful, but sadly there was no way for him to win with us since Flamestrike was already foregoing 2 points due to Celever being in the alliance, and so including s_aman as well would've created a nightmare (and would've caused zorbees to lose).

billymills, if you had just talked to me the first night when I asked you to we would've won this game together quite easily I feel; however, after talking to Flamestrike I decided to go with him, which necessitated that Agent Brown be eliminated (who I did not know was you at the time).

Thanks to askaninjask for hosting, I thought it was a very interesting game that simply suffered from inactivity on the part of most of my enemies, as well as pretty poor upgrade choices from most players; Blasters and Forcefields were in general useless and only zorbees upgraded Personnel at all out of the non-Alliance members (another fact that made it much easier to simply include him in our winning plans than worry about the headache of having to support EMP him every cycle and hope he didn't get a Personnel support in return...)

Good game all, in the next FFA you are in with me I hope that everyone will talk to me first because I am an excellent ally and only ever lie/stab when I have no other possible option!

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Also sorry aska, the game is really cool and all and I was actually pretty upset that it was so quickly picked apart, hopefully with some changes to prevent that, this can be a very interesting game!

Also I love how we were so damned worried about Billy that entire time, when he idled constantly

UncleSam

Leading this village
Can't believe I forgot to say this but a big thanks to everyone in the alliance: Flamestrike, General Spoon, Celever, and Lady Salamence! It was fun working with you and I felt that all of you put the needs of the alliance over your own personal needs, which made it easy for everyone to win.

gg

my sheet, for anyone interested (it's entirely wrong because I was using zorbees' incorrect win con):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10vEYtcI-3bI4Z76qikjRsrLgEQQBWh_IfCEa2Is1-Rg/edit#gid=0

The game could have benefited greatly from a passive income of upgrades, like every even cycle or something. That would have stopped the emp lock that ruined myself and cancerous. Overall, fun, but space wars 3 definitely needs something to break up a 5 person alliance.

Good game, sorry to those not fortunate enough to be in the alliance. We were very concerned that zorbees/billymills would rally a counter-alliance after the first person was eliminated, but nothing came of it.

UncleSam

Leading this village
No aska I meant that enemies of one another did not share common targets; my enemies certainly shared common targets with one another but so did my allies.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Yeah, but that's a consequence of having enemies work nicely with one another. I think in a more balanced game with more active people the alliance structure would have proven to be an interesting one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)