League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Why is this the case for people building tanky APs? RoA is one of the most cost efficient items in the game. I've never been a big fan of it because I've always felt weak early game while rushing the Catalyst, but it's a perfect fit for the new Gragas imo.
I dislike the argument of "its cost efficient". Just because somethings cost efficient doesn't necessarily make it a good item on half the things people build it on. Its like saying because IE is cost efficient i should build it on ryze as well (ok not really but you get the point maybe). Frequently I see people build RoA on shit like Lissandra, Annie (This one i'm almost 50/50 on too just because I've done it a few times but never quite liked it), Brand, Morgana, Diana, Malzahar, Syndra (kill me). It just sucks that they're wasting so much damage potential from those champions on an item like RoA.

also karthus doesn't need to build RoA but its not bad so add that to the list of ok roa users.

edit : dont build roa on jungle karthus btw

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
On a totally unrelated note:

How many people would be interested in doing a mini tourney or maybe doing an inhouse or three?

This is, of course, mostly concerning the NA peeps.
I'll be home for a bit the day after tomorrow lets do it

Lavos

Banned deucer.
a lot of mids in plat seem to think roa is a substitute for athenes...its not and grail is still good it was fucking op before the nerfs now its still a good item! or they build fucking morellonomicon on ziggs and cry that theyre always oom before fights. fuck plat in general

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Just to make sure, if you are interested in doing an inhouse, I will be available for it later tonight (probably around 10 pm cst). Please join channel #ffm so that we can get a head count for it when I do log on.

Alternatively if tonight doesn't work, and tomorrow does, we can do it tomorrow in the evening as well.

On a totally unrelated note:

How many people would be interested in doing a mini tourney or maybe doing an inhouse or three?

This is, of course, mostly concerning the NA peeps.
id be so down for this haha

but tomorrow night is better for me might not be able to do tonight

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I like how a Baron buffed NaJin Black Sword with a 17k gold lead can't close a game against a SKT T1 S team that's missing their top lane inhibitor solely because of Gragas and Ziggs' unstoppable waveclear (you could have honestly made a case for Ohmwrecker in that last game). What a disappointing series. I also wish both teams hadn't placed such a high priority on jungle Rengar when it's obvious that neither Lee nor H0R0 knows how to play him. Excited to see KT Arrows in their first final.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I dislike the argument of "its cost efficient". Just because somethings cost efficient doesn't necessarily make it a good item on half the things people build it on. Its like saying because IE is cost efficient i should build it on ryze as well (ok not really but you get the point maybe). Frequently I see people build RoA on shit like Lissandra, Annie (This one i'm almost 50/50 on too just because I've done it a few times but never quite liked it), Brand, Morgana, Diana, Malzahar, Syndra (kill me). It just sucks that they're wasting so much damage potential from those champions on an item like RoA.
a lot of mids in plat seem to think roa is a substitute for athenes...its not and grail is still good it was fucking op before the nerfs now its still a good item! or they build fucking morellonomicon on ziggs and cry that theyre always oom before fights. fuck plat in general
RoA is a fine item for mana fixing, what makes it not-a-substitute for Grail is that it doesn't have CDR. Morellonomicon doesn't have enough mana regen on it, only works if you're playing a champ that is just on the edge of needing a tiny little bit of mana help, or you really want that grievous wounds passive.

Almost everything is "cost-efficient" but you have to look at the stats you're getting and the champion you're buying it on. I don't mind RoA on all but a few AP champs because hey, Health and AP are two stats that are universally good. And not that you should but even ignoring the mana it's cost-efficient at full charge, just to showcase how insanely efficient it is. Plus Catalyst is still the best rush item in the game for a strong laning phase short of maybe triple Doran's Ring.

Honestly, the only reason I've mostly moved away from building RoA is that Grail's CDR is all too necessary by lategame and that obviates the need of other mana items. At that point I can just get HP from Rylai's and/or Liandry's instead and now RoA is redundant. Of course, you could also get RoA and pick up CDR from somewhere else but unless you need Morello's passive, the only other sources are 10% from DFG or Twin Shadows. :[ Archangel's getting that Seraph's upgrade at the start of S3 further marginalizes RoA, since with the active ability it's almost like a more offensive RoA... and nobody appreciates survivability anymore. :(

Last edited:

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Black Sword also played amazingly shittily and made bad calls that would've snowballed the game much harder but instead of going for towards vs a Gragas/Ziggs comp, they went for dragon/baron instead. They had the opportunity to snowball the game out of control and instead they chose the worse option, giving S the opportunity to stall out the game long enough. It wasn't a matter of SKT S didn't play well but rather Sword didn't do anything to deserve and clinch the win.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Alright, anyone who's interested in doing an inhouse join #ffm and highlight me. Or message me on League. I'll invite you. I have a room set up and everything.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Going back to Gragas top for a minute - would you still do Lich Bane or stick to IBG for bulkier tank stats? Ive been fiddling a lot of different builds and there are just so many possible ones lol.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I would build according to the needs of your team, depending on whether they need an initiator, a damage sponge, or a damage source...alternatively, just say fuck it and go full AP if you're already snowballing out of control. Then you can oneshot the ADC from over 1000 range :^)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
yo why dont people pick olaf anymore his nerfs werent that big and he was a pretty dominant jungle force early s4

he just isn't dat good.

sad that nj sword lost but w/e go kta to finals and to worlds (i'm ok with ktb going to worlds based on an nlb win too)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
People are playing him in the wrong lane, they should've went top with him, max E, and shit on Renekton/Shyvana/Mundo/Trundle when they were popular (unfortunately he cries vs Lulu but can still brawl vs Gragas atm).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)