Zapdos (Revamp) [0 / 2] (Ready for Approval)

I think the skeleton is pretty much done and ready for approval. It will be more comprehensive when I write this up though.

Edit: M Dragon told me I get approvals after writing so I'll start writing this.

Last edited:
"(tobi10 used 240 HP / 226 SpA in his RMT, don't really know why so if someone could explain I'll mention it)"

240 hp allows it to play the role of defensive pokemon first/sweeper later, where it can poke things until late game where it can sweep. It makes it a little harder to revenge kill and easier to set up. Better vs fighters or steels too. The loss of power can be negligible vs frail teams that are weak to that Zapdos. Although max special attack or max HP is almost purely player preference, team dependent, and pretty irrelevant.

"(tobi10 used 240 HP / 226 SpA in his RMT, don't really know why so if someone could explain I'll mention it)"

240 hp allows it to play the role of defensive pokemon first/sweeper later, where it can poke things until late game where it can sweep. It makes it a little harder to revenge kill and easier to set up. Better vs fighters or steels too. The loss of power can be negligible vs frail teams that are weak to that Zapdos. Although max special attack or max HP is almost purely player preference, team dependent, and pretty irrelevant.
Yes the bulk helps, but I think for onsite analyses you need to be able to explain the exact numbers. I'll probably just mention that you can take some EVS from SpA and invest them in HP for more bulk.
edit: thanks bkc

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC but I have something to share:
For the Defensive spreads, I would say keep 252 HP > 248 since Base 90 HP reaches a Leftovers number so that extra 1 damage you take from Stealth Rock is voided. When Stealth Rock is not on the field, you get 1 HP extra recovery also.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
For the Defensive spreads, I would say keep 252 HP > 248 since Base 90 HP reaches a Leftovers number so that extra 1 damage you take from Stealth Rock is voided. When Stealth Rock is not on the field, you get 1 HP extra recovery also.
since sand is everywhere in dpp (tyranitar is the best pkmn and the only other weather pkmn are hippo and abomasnow) you'll just lose that extra 1 hp from sand, in which case 248 is better imo

mention Thunder on specs, probably in AC. Thunder hits hard as fuck with Specs, nabbing an almost guarenteed 2hko on SpDef Heatran without Rocks, even with Timid (Modest ensures it, and gives you a good chance to do so after Protect), while also having various other ridiculous calcs like capping at 72% on 0/0 Tyranitar, and a good chance of Paralysis (beating Scarftar in 1v1!!!). The miss chance sucks but the payoff is great

also mention Zapdos's main advantages over Raikou and Rotom for Scarf (U-turn and power), and why you should probably use the 2 others for that (higher Speed for Raikou, Trick/Spinblock/Hydro for Rotom, no SR weak for both)

subroost: forretress / nidoqueen / starmie are great teammates. mention that it does well against stuff that usually beat Zapdos (ie Grounds)

3 atks: looks good. I think breloom makes a great partner for rock resist + does well vs slow grounds.

agility: dugtrio as a partner

pdef: I think heat wave should be slashed first. heat wave hits the stuff you actually counter, like scizor and metagross, so it's important. hp ice hits things that zapdos only counters sometimes, or things it doesn't counter at all (like dragonite) so you'll want to switch into something else for that. plus, it does like 0% to hippo without investment

spdef: looks good

hot analysis

Tomahawk you still working on this?

Like Jirachee said, Sand kinda neuters this point.

mention Thunder on specs, probably in AC. Thunder hits hard as fuck with Specs, nabbing an almost guarenteed 2hko on SpDef Heatran without Rocks, even with Timid (Modest ensures it, and gives you a good chance to do so after Protect), while also having various other ridiculous calcs like capping at 72% on 0/0 Tyranitar, and a good chance of Paralysis (beating Scarftar in 1v1!!!). The miss chance sucks but the payoff is great
Fair enough, that's some really nice calcs, but honestly the problem with Thunder is also 50% accuracy in sand which is honestly abysmal. (chance of beating scarftar 1v1 is 0.5 x 0.3 x 0.5 = 7.5%, not really that great. Might as well crit or para with Thunderbolt, which is actually a higher chance (though you need SR for that). Apparently still 70% in sand, scratch that. The SpD Heatran calc is really impressive though, but still you can't drop Thunderbolt so you only have one slot for coverage as well. I'll add it in AC though, thanks for the idea.

also mention Zapdos's main advantages over Raikou and Rotom for Scarf (U-turn and power), and why you should probably use the 2 others for that (higher Speed for Raikou, Trick/Spinblock/Hydro for Rotom, no SR weak for both)
i will, thanks for the tip

subroost: forretress / nidoqueen / starmie are great teammates. mention that it does well against stuff that usually beat Zapdos (ie Grounds)
will do, ty

3 atks: looks good. I think breloom makes a great partner for rock resist + does well vs slow grounds.
Yeah, you're right, does make for a pretty neat partner

[quoteagility: dugtrio as a partner[/quote]
oh i thought I already mentioned that, obvious partner, thanks

pdef: I think heat wave should be slashed first. heat wave hits the stuff you actually counter, like scizor and metagross, so it's important. hp ice hits things that zapdos only counters sometimes, or things it doesn't counter at all (like dragonite) so you'll want to switch into something else for that. plus, it does like 0% to hippo without investment
fair enough, i'll change that

spdef: looks good

hot analysis

Tomahawk you still working on this?
ty, yeah still working on this though i kinda forgot about it, but i'll write it up now

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)