Pikachu Tournamentchu

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head

I haven't found a thread for this yet, so lgi.

Pikachu Tournamentchu is basically Middle Cup with an imposed Pikachu rule; every team must use Pikachu in some way or another. I've been playing a bit of this tier so far and am really enjoying it. Some decent threats include Piloswine, Haunter, Rhydon, Murkrow, Sneasel, and Fletchinder. The tier can find itself really Tailwind centric, as well as reliant on Protect as with all Doubles/VGC-esque tiers. It's a really quick paced gameplay. Thoughts on it so far?

Where is the official announcement/information on this? I looked on the global link and google, but can't seem to find it. Especially since I'm confused about the rules (sneasel and murkrow in a "middle" cup? doubles?).

EDIT: NVM found it on serebii

Region: International
Registration Period: August 2014
Battle Period: August 2014
Battle Type: Triple Battle
Pokémon Restrictions: Kalos Pokédex - Pikachu required
Banned Pokémon: Pokémon that cannot evolve or at the end of the evolution chain
Entry Prize: ???

This Battle Competition is a Triple Battle competition. In this Battle Competition, you have to use Pikachu and you have to use Pokémon that can evolve from the Kalos Pokédex. For example, you can't use Charizard, Kangaskhan or Tauros, but you can use Pokémon such as Charmander & Charmeleon

Articles that led me to the serebii description said it was currently only confirmed for Japan though (which is why I couldn't find it on the GL).

Last edited:
Serebii said:
This Battle Competition is a Triple Battle competition. In this Battle Competition, you have to use Pikachu and you have to use Pokémon that can evolve from the Kalos Pokédex. For example, you can't use Charizard, Kangaskhan or Tauros, but you can use Pokémon such as Charmander & Charmeleon
It starts and ends in August.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is what Serebii says, can you confirm item clause?

Pikachu Tournamentchu: August - This Battle Competition is a Triple Battle competition. In this Battle Competition, you have to use Pikachu and you have to use Pokémon that can evolve, and they have to be in the Kalos Pokédex. For example, you can't use Charizard, Kangaskhan or Tauros, but you can use Pokémon such as Charmander & Charmeleon
Serebii also says it's international but there has been no announcement on the Global Link website....I'm hoping it's not JPN-only. Simulator-only is lame and these tournaments encourage me to play more in-game and expand my collection.

That being said, to try and facilitate discussion: Kalos dex only is a godsend because it keeps broken bullshit like P2, Dusclops, and Chansey out of the tier. I barely know anything about triples or Middle Cup and my LC career was...short, but one thing not mentioned in the OP is Doublade, who is the most popular Pokemon in RU at the moment and also fares decently in UU. It has a pretty nice stat distribution as far as physical bulk and Attack go. Assuming there is item clause, you only get one Eviolite for your team so Doublade will need screen support in order to avoid getting wrecked on its 59/49 special defense. Also besides the lack of King's Shield, Doublade may not go mixed. I guess performance in singles is a terrible litmus test for triples Battle Spot but as I said I know little about either triples nor Middle Cup (with first stage mons thrown in). :B

Magneton also looks good with that meaty 120 SpA and walling everything Pikachu has except for the laughable Brick Break. Kadabra is probably the best and fastest mon that gets Ally Switch, which correct me if I'm wrong is most useful in triples, but has those paperthin defenses. iirc Dragonair was a thing in Middle Cup Just throwing spaghetti on the wall :B

What I can say for sure assuming item clause is that one of the most important aspects of teambuilding will be deciding who gets that single Eviolite. Will it go to a support mon like Murkrow or a dangerous sweeper like Scyther? Whoever gets it will have their performance improved significantly but if given to a suboptimal mon will impact the overall performance of your team and hinder play.

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that Doublade gets Wide Guard and Dragonair gets DD and can heal itself from status.

If you are lazy I can help you get a Wide Guard Honedge.

Expect a lot of Fake Out spam, so plan accordingly...

Someone create a viability rankings for this. (Pikachu would be in Mandatory Rank)

I have a feeling Doublade might be in A or even S due to its bulk, offense, and supporting capabilities with Wide Guard.

Pretty fun format. Birdspam isn't as deadly as I thought with Rhydon, Magneton and Doublade running around everywhere. Pikachu is alright sometimes. Currently using it as a Fake Outer coming in after one of my team members gets ko'd.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Anyone think Gurdurr can be any good? That 85/105/85/40/50/40 distribution looks pretty good, on par with the other "good stuffs". Only problem is no elemental punches or Knock Off as per KB rule so it'll have to rely on Stone Edge / Payback for coverage. However, it also gets decent support options like Helping Hand (although it hits pretty hard on its own) and Wide Guard.

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Here is a list of all legal Pokemon alongside their stats by the way.

This looks like it might be quite fun--and cute! I like an excuse to use cute things. I wonder if trick room can be pulled off, Spritzee (CUTE) can set somewhat reliably I think. Fast attackers and Tailwind seem really popular, and not forgetting Pikachu, so it'll be a good way to cripple teams, and putting your own Pikachu at 0 IV speed. To outslow a 31 IV uninvested Doublade needs a Pokemon with at most 56 Speed with a negative speed nature, 0 IVs. Outslowing Rhydon needs 63.

I've been trying to scrounge up some possible Trick Room attackers. Here's what I got so far. Does anyone know if Pokes have to be Kalos bred?
Munchlax - Base 5 speed, 85 Attack, 135 hp - Munchlax has the lowest speed out of all legible Pokemon, 85 Attack is pretty respectable, and it's 135 HP and 85 Sp.Defense makes it somewhat bulky, but it only has 40 Defense. Could potentially cause some chaos with STAB Return, maybe Facade, maybe EXPLOSION (TOP KEK), has Earthquake, Rock Slide. Does it have to be kalos bred? If not, it become soo much more viable with a diverse moveset which can utilize Superpower, Seed Bomb, Zen Headbutt, elemental Punches, Gunk Shot and it's chaotic.

Trapinch - Base 10 speed, 100 Attack - It's got awful 45 stats in everything else but it seems like something that can hit hard and fast when TR is up. He's also immune to intimidate with Hyper Cutter, and has access to surprisingly nice moves like Earthquake, Superpower, Crunch and Rock Slide.

Duosion - Base 30 Speed, 125 Special Attack - Like Reuniclus, I think Duosion will continue to be the awesome trick room attacker he is.

Doublade - Base 35 Speed, 110 Attack, and a shocking 150 Defense. I think it's pretty obvious.

Rhydon - Base 40 Speed, 105 HP, 130 Attack, 120 Defense - No questioning it either.

Gurrdur -Base 40 Speed, 105 Attack - He also has decent defenses with 85 HP and 85 Defense. Nice abilities with Guts/Sheer Force and of course has nice attacks. Hammer Arm, Rock Slide, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Wide Guard, elemental punches (if can be non-kalos), Poison Jab.

Sligoo - Base 60 Speed, 83 Special attack, and pretty nice defenses at 68/53/113. Has a wide coverage movepool with Dragon Pulse, Muddy Water, Ice Beam, Sludge Bomb/Wave and Thunderbolt.

Pawniard - Base 60 Speed, 85 Attack, has Defiant to combat Intimidate, and a pretty decent movepool if anyone is familiar with it's evolution would know.

Zweilous - DAT HUSTLE OUTRAGE THO (In all seriousness, 58 Speed, 85 Attack, Hustle boosts his attack further but the accuracy drop can be deadly. Moves include Crunch, Elemental Fangs, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, but only has Outrage or Dragon Rush for moves of which the former is kinda bad in triples and the latter is already bad without the accuracy drop, wide lens might be needed)

Lampent - 55 Speed, 95 Special Attack, Like Chandelure I think it will be a good fire type for Trick Room and a potential setter.

Shelgon - 50 Speed, 95 Attack. He actually has a surprising amount of attack, given that he's a soccer ball with stubs. Moves include Crunch, Dragon Claw, Zen Headbutt, Fire Fang (if non kalos bred is okay), Rock Slide.

Piloswine - 50 Speed, 100 attack coupled with 100/80/60 defenses. Pretty nice, and has priority in Ice Shard for pinches.

Tyrunt - 49 Speed, 89 Attack, but he has strong jaws boost and has a nice amount of attacks with all kinds of fangs, EQ ad Rock Slide.

Inkay - 45 Speed, with only 54 attack, but can work similarly as Malamar by abusing Contrary Superpower and the same movepool and possibly having Feather dance Murkrow support. Can even use Topsy-Turvy if you feel like being gimmicky. Also a potential setter.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Another good TR attacker in this format would be DeapSeaTooth Clamperl, which hits bloody hard with the item and gets decent three-move coverage between Surf/Scald, Ice Beam and either Hidden Power [Grass] or [Electric]. Boldore also looks good thanks to it's typing and physical stats, that let it reliably counter things like Fletchinder and chuck out Rock Slides off of 105 base Attack. Also base 20 is a nice speed tier for Trick Room. Because of the restrictions on Eviolite, it's probably the best to go for broke with an Expert Belt or something, as it has Sturdy to fall back on and AV keeps it from using Protect. Why you'd want to use it over Rhydon, though...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
How about Munchlax? 135/85/40/40/85/5 - it's incredibly bulky on the special side (it actually has greater special bulk than Conkeldurr, Azumarill, and quite a few base 600s), looks like it can hit reasonably hard, and is literally the slowest thing in the tier. Run Curse in Trick room to patch up that defense and some burn support if you can (or Reflect; can't think of anything good that gets burn besides Fletchinder).

Downside is, obviously, that many of the best threats are physical based though it has the typing to take a hit or two from stuff other than Gurdurr.

For the gimmicky option with balls, run Gluttony + Sitrus Berry with Belly Drum in Trick Room.

breh

強いだね
Does anything actually stop Magneton well? As far as I see, it literally 2HKOes the entire metagame short of Chinchou, opposing Magneton with eviolite or significant defense investment (if you're dilligent enough to breed on HP Ground / Fire, good on you I guess), and eviolite Munchlax.

I guess Pikachu being forced to exist makes it a little easier to avoid the tbolts, but magneton can still use Flash Cannon just as well...

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Is there any confirmation that this comp will be available to those of us in North America with US game carts? I saw on PGL the official announcement for Super Speed Doubles, which makes me think maybe we (as in I) won't be able to compete in this, and I don't want to waste my time making a team if I can't compete.

Thanks! :)

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
Is there any confirmation that this comp will be available to those of us in North America with US game carts? I saw on PGL the official announcement for Super Speed Doubles, which makes me think maybe we (as in I) won't be able to compete in this, and I don't want to waste my time making a team if I can't compete.

Thanks! :)
Judging by the fact it has been announced for Japan a while ago and with no news for English players I doubt we'll be getting it. A shame. :(

Someone create a viability rankings for this. (Pikachu would be in Mandatory Rank)

I have a feeling Doublade might be in A or even S due to its bulk, offense, and supporting capabilities with Wide Guard.
I agree there should be a tier list, maybe all of us can make one? Idk.
Doublade is good if it were not for Water Spout Watortle completely destroying Doublade (I was playing a match agaisnt a guy running doublade, and my watortle's water spout OHKO'd him)
I think Haunter is better than Doublade, personally.

I agree there should be a tier list, maybe all of us can make one? Idk.
Doublade is good if it were not for Water Spout Watortle completely destroying Doublade (I was playing a match agaisnt a guy running doublade, and my watortle's water spout OHKO'd him)
252+ SpA Wartortle Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Doublade: 187-222 (58 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Wartortle Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Doublade: 303-357 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
And these calculations assuming your Wartortle was Choice Scarfed (or just didn't have a boosting item in general) and the Pokémon were Level 100 and format was singles.

Also, Protean Frogadier? Marill that plays like Azumarill from Standard play (both sets)?
edit: What are these guys (especially Marill) doing in a triples?

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
252+ SpA Wartortle Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Doublade: 187-222 (58 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Wartortle Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Doublade: 303-357 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
And these calculations assuming your Wartortle was Choice Scarfed (or just didn't have a boosting item in general) and the Pokémon were Level 100 and format was singles.

Also, Protean Frogadier? Marill that plays like Azumarill from Standard play (both sets)?
I think the levels are set to 30 for this one, so it should look like this:
252+ SpA Wartortle Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Doublade: 97-115 (94.1 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
What do you mean what are they doing in triples? LO Protean Frogadier hits hard with Surf, especially if backed up Speed-wise with Tailwind or offensively with Helping Hand, notably from Pikachu. I personally haven't used Marill but I imagine it plays rather well, Choice Band and AV both.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
Socialization Head
Has there been any confirmation of this happening outside of japan yet?
Nope, still localised to Japan as far as we know. The Diamond Storm tournament is also supposedly only going to be in Japan as well, unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)