Pokémon Hydreigon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChildFucker

literally too stupid to choose a username.
Seems like someone didn't do their calcs..

0 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 309-367 (43.8 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Superpower cuts your attack every time it is used. This is nowhere near a guaranteed 2HKO.

This means in two hits you are doing somewhere between 65-80%, around 85%ish with Stealth Rocks. While it isn't a 2HKO it is pretty close so with prior damage Superpower can break Chansey. This is far more damage than it can do with any other move besides Outrage and it can demolish Tyranitar and Heatran with it. Superpower works fine on Hydreigon.

Last edited:
Superpower cuts your attack every time it is used. This is nowhere near a 2HKO.

This means in two hits you are doing somewhere between 65-76%, around 80%ish with Stealth Rocks. While it isn't a 2HKO it is pretty close so with prior damage Superpower can break Chansey. This is far more damage than it can do with any other move besides Outrage and it can demolish Tyranitar and Heatran with it. Superpower works fine on Hydreigon.
After the combination of SR and Superpower Chansey is very near a 2HKO actually. I have a replay, keep in mind this was max-min damage but the Chansey lived with 5% I don't understand how that is "nowhere near a 2HKO"

Here's the replay. Again all i'm trying to say is this: Pink Blobs do not like switching into Superpower.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128517720

And you're extremely right. Superpower does work fine on Hydreigon and should not be looked past.

Last edited:

ChildFucker

literally too stupid to choose a username.
I was told by someone else that Suoerpower won't break Chansey and didn't have access to the calculator. There's also the fact nobody would leave Chansey in after getting Superpowered.

Excuse me for using logic.
So Chansey comes in on rocks and takes a minimum of 56% total damage from the first Superpower, and if already hurt by some minimal prior damage it is now either forced to switch out or die?

Well shoot looks like Superpower did its job now didn't it?

Edit:

Excuse me for using logic.

It's a solid set, but in all honesty Hydreigon loves taking out Tyranitar, 2HKOing Blissey and Heatran. You mentioned that you use Earth Power for Heatran, however the combination of Draco Meteor (that heatrans love switching into) + Superpower after SR damage take it out with a Mild or Rash nature. I noticed you have it slashed, I just really want to point out that while Hydreigon's SpA is stupid high, it's selling point is that of a wallbreaker. This is why it had nothing that could safely switch into it last generation.

Also surprisingly, Hydreigon really likes it's speed. It's not as slow as everyone suggests, while it is slow for a dragon. With your Evs however you hit a speed of 232. This leaves pesky pokes such as Max Speed Excadrill, Jolly Breloom, Mamoswine, Bisharp with Low Kick and hell, even Jolly Aegislash with Sacred Sword (which i've seen a couple times on the ladder for whatever reason...) being able to ouspeed and OHKO you, bar Excadrill. (Who comes pretty damn close.)

Basically Hydreigon really likes it's speed in OU and it's ability to wallbreak. That's my two cents.

Anyway here's my set. It's standard, but it's the Hydreigon I believe is designed to kill things and really make your opponents think about their switches.

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild/Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost
Yeah, the only reason I really run Earth Power is because of Heatran. The pokemon that Superpower covers are handled much better by another member of the team: AV Conkeldurr. All the slashes are valid, it just depends on what you want Hydreigon to be able to take on. In hindsight, I probably should've slashed Taunt: Hydreigon can shut down stall pretty well with it. You should look at the post I made about speed, I should've tacked it on to my main post but it should answer all your speed questions.

Hey, wait a minute. Speed aside, Hydreigon should NEVER stay in on Breloom with it's Spore/Mach Punch and sash shenanigans. And Jolly Aegislash cannot OHKO Max HP Hydreigon unless it's banded.
(Don't tell me people are running Banded Aegislash...)

Yeah, the only reason I really run Earth Power is because of Heatran. The pokemon that Superpower covers are handled much better by another member of the team: AV Conkeldurr. All the slashes are valid, it just depends on what you want Hydreigon to be able to take on. In hindsight, I probably should've slashed Taunt: Hydreigon can shut down stall pretty well with it. You should look at the post I made about speed, I should've tacked it on to my main post but it should answer all your speed questions.

Hey, wait a minute. Speed aside, Hydreigon should NEVER stay in on Breloom with it's Spore/Mach Punch and sash shenanigans. And Jolly Aegislash cannot OHKO Max HP Hydreigon unless it's banded.
(Don't tell me people are running Banded Aegislash...)
Ahh you bring up some really good points. Of course I mean if your team mates cover what Hydreigon lacks then it all evens out. You also bring a good point about Breloom! Mach Punch definitely OHKOs it after SR, so I was off about that one. However Aegislash with Life Orb is actually capable of OHKOing Hydreigon with max attack invested. It's not extremely common, just something to consider!

I'll check out your speed post definitely. :]

No, though that doesn't hurt. It's because as a general rule you'll be switching Hydreigon into more special attacks than physical.
I understand that. Its typing is much more inclined for the Special side. However is the difference large enough to invest in SpDef instead of HP? I'm not sure what 2HKOs it may avoid but this game is never played in a vacuum.

IIRC it does provide more overall bulk than just HP. I don't think it's designed to avoid any specific 2HKO, but if you are going the bulky route, I like to be able to switch in multiple times and it's just a little bit more helpful in that regard.

I think it would be perfectly understandable to adjust how you like if you have something specific in mind.

Lol @ karxrida's posts mysteriously vanishing.

Anyway, has anyone considered a mixed attacking set with work up? I've never used it, but I thought it would be interesting.

Lol @ karxrida's posts mysteriously vanishing.

Anyway, has anyone considered a mixed attacking set with work up? I've never used it, but I thought it would be interesting.
it does have a surprise factor and hydreigon forces lots of switches the problem is that hydreigon already has 4mss

Does anyone feel like fire blast is redundant on the specs set now that dark pulse has been buffed? The only steels I ever need to worry about switching into hydreigon are mawile and heatran, and they both die by earth power. Everything else is 2hko by dark pulse. Is there anything that absolutely needs to be killed by fire blast?

Does anyone feel like fire blast is redundant on the specs set now that dark pulse has been buffed? The only steels I ever need to worry about switching into hydreigon are mawile and heatran, and they both die by earth power. Everything else is 2hko by dark pulse. Is there anything that absolutely needs to be killed by fire blast?
Well for me, I don't really look at it that way, because let's see...so you have Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, then two other coverage moves, possibly Focus Blast and one other in Fire Blast or Earth Power? Why would you opt to have Earth Power as one if the staple moves? If it's for steels, Fire Blast hits most of them harder (notable ones like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Scizor are hit super effectively by fire but not ground). I find Earth Power to be the move that's redundant.

Well for me, I don't really look at it that way, because let's see...so you have Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, then two other coverage moves, possibly Focus Blast and one other in Fire Blast or Earth Power? Why would you opt to have Earth Power as one if the staple moves? If it's for steels, Fire Blast hits most of them harder (notable ones like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Scizor are hit super effectively by fire but not ground). I find Earth Power to be the move that's redundant.
Skarm and scizor are 2hko by dark pulse, the move you're most likely to use so they aren't issues. I think Ferrothorn is also 2hko but I see your point. I just don't like the idea of a non-AV azumarill coming in and setting up.

Tailwind support
Hydreigon @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Timid/Modest
252 special attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

So here is another way to get around the speed issue, this time providing support to your team as a whole. Tailwind doubles the speed of all pokemon on your side of the field for 5 turns, turning Mighty Glaciers into Lightning Bruisers.
If only. Tailwind only lasts for three turns, not including the turn it was used. Still, it would be great to see some detail on how/if a Tailwind set is viable. Most of Hydreigon's best switch-ins seem to be slow, bulky 'mons (Sylveon, Azumarill, Clefable, AV Conk) so I dunno how Tailwind is immediately useful vs any of those. What would good teammates be, which can abuse Tailwind and counter those 'mons? Honestly M-Venusaur is coming to mind as one of the few mons who can switch into all of those checks w/ impunity... lol it's like chlorophyll mega venusaur. Maybe something like M-Mawile, too.

In general though I think U-Turn would be better on a Tailwind set to quickly pivot to something that wants to abuse the (2) remaining turns of speed.

Yes, it is, but there's no reason to just replace it with another attack; hydreigon has a nice support move pool and uses it well.

I have always run taunt since last gen and it's still just as useful against stall.

I've always been a fan of thunder wave into uturn too.

He can also phase with dragon tail, although fairy switchins really suck.

This isn't a thread for imaginary abilities.
But, staying on topic, Scarf Hydregion is seriously the single best use of it in OU. I love outspeeding random Greninjas and just straight up OHKO'ing them. I must say, Hydregion certainly shouldn't be in UU, it's much too strong.
Do you mean "Single best Scarf User" in OU?
um,Scarfchomp,Trickscarf Rotom, and Scarf Terrakion,would all like to say something about that.

I don't really like Scarfed Hydreigon in OU. It just has a bad speed tier for a scarfmon since most of the common scarfers are already faster and can OHKO you. Garchomp, Terrakion, Keldeo and the rare Latios. Also can't revenge kill Char-X at +1. Without defensive investment you get 2HKO'd by all priority not named Aqua Jet, but you can't beat Azumarill so it's not great anyway. It has a good defensive typing, but for a scarf it really needs either more speed or resistances to Dragon/Fighting/Normal/Flying or Steel.

Hydreigon is better as Specs or LO imo. Hydreigon's awkward speed tier should be taken advantage of by using slower threats as pivot targets and threatening to put dents into teams, which the scarf set can't do as easily. Hydreigon's slight 4mss issue is also made worse by a scarf since it lacks the power to hurt many of its potential switch ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)