Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can trade national Pokedex Pokemon to Platinum or Black so that is alright. The only game where this isn't the case is in Fire Red and Leaf Green.
I don't think it's possible for either game to trade over a Pokemon that isn't in its regional Dex until the national Dex is obtained. You certainly can't transfer up until then as the Pal Park/PokeTransfer facility isn't available until then. Part of X/Y's gimmick is that in part because of Wonder Trade it is possible to receive Pokemon that either wouldn't be available until much later at a point you haven't reached yet, or not at all such as the Speed Boost Torchic event that ran around the time of the games' launch. I would suspect this will hold true for ORAS as well should they retain Wonder Trade.

...Or maybe it is. Durant probably knows better than I do about this.
Nope, I can attest that Durant's completely right. You can trade any Pokémon to any game except in the cases of trading non-kanto Pokémon to RBGY or a non-national dex FRLG.
Thanks for the answers, i shall complete my next platinum run with a bellsprout :')

Quick question regarding Move reminder change.

Say I have Cloyster. If Cloyster learned Razor Shell and Ice Shard as a Shellder, evolved, then forgot the move, can he be reminded/retaught it?

Say I have Cloyster. If Cloyster learned Razor Shell and Ice Shard as a Shellder, evolved, then forgot the move, can he be reminded/retaught it?
Yes he can as long as he learned it at some point before evolving. For example, if you evolved your Shellder before your Shellder learned those moves, your Cloyster couldn't relearn that move.

which pokemon can dish out the single most powerful attack?
adamant belly drummed stabbed snorlax selfdestruct + helping hand(2x) in triple battle and normal gem?

lvl 100 shuckle critical stone edge?

+6 V-create in the sun + life orb modest victini?

UNRELATEDLY, will they re-incorporate gems in ruby and sapphire?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Depending on your definition, I guess the sixth turn of a Power Trick Shuckle's Rollout, boosted by various means such as Huge Power and Helping Hand, holding a Choice Band at +6, is considered the strongest.

Though, the most powerful, first-turn-in-play, no-setup-required move would be Adamant Guts Ursaring holding Choice Band, switching into a status move, using Metronome and getting Explosion. The actual damage dealt would be less than some others (also depending a lot on the foe), but the raw power output should be higher than any other candidates. Close second, I believe, is Kyogre's Rain boosted Water Spouts at full HP.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the double-post, but are encounter rates taken into account in the friend safari?
I know that their wild encounter rate is not taken into account in the Friend Safari, for example I've run into Chanseys at a much higher than 1% rate. It instead works something like slot 1+2 Pokemon at 40% each and slot 3 20%

I know that their wild encounter rate is not taken into account in the Friend Safari, for example I've run into Chanseys at a much higher than 1% rate. It instead works something like slot 1+2 Pokemon at 40% each and slot 3 20%
I don't think even that is correct. I've had many, many experiences where I run into slot 3 10+ times in a row, or slot 1 or 2 + 3 several times before even seeing the last one.

However, you are probably correct, anyway. It may even be a mix of both normal encounter rate and Friend Safari encounter slot rate. Who knows...

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

Yes he can as long as he learned it at some point before evolving. For example, if you evolved your Shellder before your Shellder learned those moves, your Cloyster couldn't relearn that move.
No he can't, just tested with my Clefable who couldn't relearn Stored Power. Sorry :\ Egg moves can be relearned now, but pre-evolution moves can't.
(UNLESS the pre-evolution move was bred in as well. For instance, if you breed a male Ice Shard Donphan (lol) with a female Ice Shard Swinub, obviously a lvl1 Swinub with Ice Shard will hatch; in this case, even if you delete Ice Shard, Mamo can be retaught it, even though he can't learn it by level up. As far as I can find Bulbapedia doesn't explicitly state this; I'm inferring this from my own Mamoswine, who can be retaught Icy Wind, despite him not learning it by level up or as an egg move in the narrow sense. It's been some time since I bred him so I don't remember it all too well, but apparently I was breeding with two Swinub at some point, both of which must have had Icy Wind, causing my then-Swinub to hatch with Icy Wind as well.) tl;dr: all moves the pokemon knows upon hatching can be retaught, but pre-evolution moves can't.

Hey I want to start breeding pokemon but I don't have anyone for friend safari to get the breeding Dittos I need if anyone could would you be willing to add me so I can add back? I'm not sure what my safari type is but my code is 4484-9515-7638

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hey I want to start breeding pokemon but I don't have anyone for friend safari to get the breeding Dittos I need if anyone could would you be willing to add me so I can add back? I'm not sure what my safari type is but my code is 4484-9515-7638
This should probably go in the Simple Requests thread in the Wifi subforum, you've got more chance to find someone there. (Can't help you myself, I don't have Ditto in mine).
Also, you don't really need a Ditto safari for breeding; for instance, if you've got a safari with something from the Field egg group, you could use this to breed a 5 IV male and use it as the father for all most of your projects in the Field egg group. (Of course, if you've got something from two egg groups at once, e.g. Azumarill - water1 and Fairy - that's even better. As for the natures, you can still catch a bunch of Dittos in Pokemon Village and use those for breeding in the natures, so that shouldn't be a problem). Of course, this is harder than using Dittos and you can't really IV breed genderless pokemon, but you should be able to breed a fair amount of good stuff even without a Ditto safari :)

This should probably go in the Simple Requests thread in the Wifi subforum, you've got more chance to find someone there. (Can't help you myself, I don't have Ditto in mine).
Also, you don't really need a Ditto safari for breeding; for instance, if you've got a safari with something from the Field egg group, you could use this to breed a 5 IV male and use it as the father for all most of your projects in the Field egg group. (Of course, if you've got something from two egg groups at once, e.g. Azumarill - water1 and Fairy - that's even better. As for the natures, you can still catch a bunch of Dittos in Pokemon Village and use those for breeding in the natures, so that shouldn't be a problem). Of course, this is harder than using Dittos and you can't really IV breed genderless pokemon, but you should be able to breed a fair amount of good stuff even without a Ditto safari :)
Um Pokemon village is quite bad for getting iv breeding dittos, because friend safari dittos are guaranteed to come with 2 perfect ivs, where as with pokemon village it's random.
If he just wants dittos to breed pokemon with ditto, then yes, pokemon village is fine.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Um Pokemon village is quite bad for getting iv breeding dittos, because friend safari dittos are guaranteed to come with 2 perfect ivs, where as with pokemon village it's random.
If he just wants dittos to breed pokemon with ditto, then yes, pokemon village is fine.
Yeah I know that :p I meant he should use pokemon village dittos only for breeding in the natures, and then continue breeding for IVs with something perfect from his safaris. Of course, breeding stuff like Staryu or Beldum is gonna be problematic without a Ditto safari, but if you've got a perfect Adamant Diggersby or something and you want a perfect Jolly Swinub, you can use a Pokemon Village Ditto to breed a Jolly Swinub without any good IVs, then give it an Everstone and use Diggersby to breed for the IVs.

Alright thank you for your help :)

No he can't, just tested with my Clefable who couldn't relearn Stored Power. Sorry :\ Egg moves can be relearned now, but pre-evolution moves can't.
(UNLESS the pre-evolution move was bred in as well. For instance, if you breed a male Ice Shard Donphan (lol) with a female Ice Shard Swinub, obviously a lvl1 Swinub with Ice Shard will hatch; in this case, even if you delete Ice Shard, Mamo can be retaught it, even though he can't learn it by level up. As far as I can find Bulbapedia doesn't explicitly state this; I'm inferring this from my own Mamoswine, who can be retaught Icy Wind, despite him not learning it by level up or as an egg move in the narrow sense. It's been some time since I bred him so I don't remember it all too well, but apparently I was breeding with two Swinub at some point, both of which must have had Icy Wind, causing my then-Swinub to hatch with Icy Wind as well.) tl;dr: all moves the pokemon knows upon hatching can be retaught, but pre-evolution moves can't.
Did you let your Clefairy learn Stored Power at the appropriate level? If not, then yeah, move relearner is of no help.

Say you evolved your Clefairy into Clefable at level 20. There is now no way for your Clefable to learn Stored Power.

Say you evolved your Clefairy at level 30, after you've been given the opportunity to teach it Stored Power. If you bring your Clefable to the move relearner, it can relearn Stored Power.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Did you let your Clefairy learn Stored Power at the appropriate level? If not, then yeah, move relearner is of no help.

Say you evolved your Clefairy into Clefable at level 20. There is now no way for your Clefable to learn Stored Power.

Say you evolved your Clefairy at level 30, after you've been given the opportunity to teach it Stored Power. If you bring your Clefable to the move relearner, it can relearn Stored Power.
My Clefable has Moonblast and Moonlight, it evolved from Clefairy at lvl 48 or so. In any case, it has moves it can only learn after learning Stored Power, so there's no way it hasn't had the opportunity to learn SP. (iirc, it even knew it when it evolved, but w/e). Sorry :\
(and I'm pretty happy with flamethrower on my Clefable lol, it was only a test because I was genuinely curious).

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Once you evolve a Pokemon with a stone, they generally lose relearner access to pre-evolution moves.

The only moves Clefable will have access to at the relearner are:
Disarming Voice
Sing
Double Slap
Metronome
Minimize
Egg moves

Stored Power is not a part of Clefable's level up moves. It will never be able to "relearn" the move, regardless of if it ever learned the move as a Clefairy. The only way it can relearn the move is if you bred it as an egg move onto Cleffa.

tl;dr: rufusdrumknot is incorrect.

Does the Egg move mechanic mean any move the Pokemon knows because of breeding? I recall a mechanic that if both parents know a level up move of the Pokemon's, it will hatch with the move at Level 1. If that's correct, does the move count as an Egg Move?

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Does the Egg move mechanic mean any move the Pokemon knows because of breeding? I recall a mechanic that if both parents know a level up move of the Pokemon's, it will hatch with the move at Level 1. If that's correct, does the move count as an Egg Move?
Yeah, that's the Mamoswine example I gave in the post ;) Mamoswine doesn't learn Icy Wind by level up (Swinub and Piloswine do though) and it doesn't learn Icy Wind as an egg move in the narrow sense (if you're breeding a female Mamo that doesn't know Icy Wind with a male Dewgong that does, the offspring won't have Icy Wind). Nevertheless, I can make my Mamoswine remember Icy Wind at the move relearner. I vaguely remember breeding two +/- lvl 20 Swinub half a year ago, so apparently both knew Icy Wind and my Mamoswine hatched with Icy Wind as well.
Apparently, not only the moves listed as egg moves on Serebii can be retaught, but also any level-up moves that were passed down via breeding.
Concerning Cloyster, if Shellder just learned Razor Shell and Ice Shard via level up, Cloyster cannot be retaught those at the move relearner. If, however, you bred a male and a female Shellder knowing said moves, the offspring will hatch with those moves as well and can be retaught them later at any time. (I can't show you a source to confirm this, I inferred everything from my own Mamoswine that can relearn Icy Wind. I can't guarantee there aren't any strange subtleties I'm unaware of).

But yeah, apparently passed-down level-up moves also count as egg moves for remembering purposes. Just a rule of thumb, if it hatched in Kalos, it can be retaught any move it knew upon hatching.

Last edited:
which pokemon can dish out the single most powerful attack?
adamant belly drummed stabbed snorlax selfdestruct + helping hand(2x) in triple battle and normal gem?

lvl 100 shuckle critical stone edge?

+6 V-create in the sun + life orb modest victini?

UNRELATEDLY, will they re-incorporate gems in ruby and sapphire?
The most damage in the game comes from this attack:

+6 252+ Huge Power Power Tricked Choice Band Shuckle with typing changed to Ice Double Helping Hand Double Flower Gift Me First drawing Ice Ball on fifth hit vs. -6 0/0- lv. 1 Gible with Forest's Curse applied

The beauty of this is that this is actually possible in-game. That is, if Me First copying Ice Ball will also copy the Rollout-like effect of being locked into it for 5 turns. If not, then get rid of the Me First.

(in case you can't tell, +6 is from either Shell Smash or Baton Pass, Ice is from Skill Swapped Color Change, Huge Power is also from Skill Swap, Choice Band is from Trick/Switcheroo after setting up everything, Helping Hands and Flower Gifts are from two partner Cherrim in Sun, Me First is from Mimic)

On the subject of Gems, we won't know for sure until release. It's best to take the question into the ORAS discussion thread. imo they will since the games are named after gems and Mega Sableye and all.

Tried searching for 'hidden' and 'ability' on this thread but the results varied too much. Apologies in advance if this question was already answered.

Has anyone figured the percent rate of Males passing down their hidden abilities when breeding with Ditto? I read on Bulbapedia it's 60-80% when Females breed normally, but I would like to know if the Male percentage is different and if it would be more beneficial than breeding Pokémon of the same Species/Egg Group.

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the 'true' purpose is of the Memory Girl in Anistar? Like the IV Judge, could she be a simple hack check for traded Pokémon? But I would also like to know if she can be manipulated. Can doing a lot of random things with your Pokémon to make her say different things? If so, can she repeat or cycle through information she has told you before. At the most I've only heard her say two things about my Pokémon? I believe, as you play the game more, the memories get overwritten. Or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Tried searching for 'hidden' and 'ability' on this thread but the results varied too much. Apologies in advance if this question was already answered.

Has anyone figured the percent rate of Males passing down their hidden abilities when breeding with Ditto? I read on Bulbapedia it's 60-80% when Females breed normally, but I would like to know if the Male percentage is different and if it would be more beneficial than breeding Pokémon of the same Species/Egg Group.
It's the same as when using a female with the desired ability, though I don't think its any more beneficial one way or another if you don't care about a pretty matching ball or egg moves that the non-Ditto parent doesn't already know if any.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the 'true' purpose is of the Memory Girl in Anistar? Like the IV Judge, could she be a simple hack check for traded Pokémon? But I would also like to know if she can be manipulated. Can doing a lot of random things with your Pokémon to make her say different things? If so, can she repeat or cycle through information she has told you before. At the most I've only heard her say two things about my Pokémon? I believe, as you play the game more, the memories get overwritten. Or am I wrong?
Hidden abilities pass down at 60%. Whether that's from a Female with a Male parent, Female with ditto, or male with ditto. Regular abilities pass down at 80%. So like Detective Barricade said, the only real advantage of using a female with Ditto is passing pokeballs onto the offspring

no idea about the memory girl though...

I think the Memory Girl primarily just tells you who it first met, a vague description of where, your most recent activity with it, and of course how it was feeling at the time in each event. But that's all there is to her. She's not there specifically to check for hacks, (surely PokeBank should catch 'em all from coming in! ...even though it clearly doesn't) but if what is apparently Kalos native's memories can't be read, then it's clearly a hack.

On a more personal note from my experience with her, I laughed when I found out that a Porygon I received off WT apparently felt angry over having the IV Judge scrutinize its potential.

Last edited:
I think the Memory Girl primarily just tells you who it first met, a vague description of where, your most recent activity with it, and of course how it was feeling at the time in each event. But that's all there is to her. She's not there specifically to check for hacks, (surely PokeBank should catch 'em all from coming in! ...even though it clearly doesn't) but if what is apparently Kalos native's memories can't be read, then it's clearly a hack.

On a more personal note from my experience with her, I laughed when I found out that a Porygon I received off WT apparently felt angry over having the IV Judge scrutinize its potential.
Speaking of which, is it possible for Kalos-born Pokemon to have memories even if it was hacked? Most sources seem to say that the Memory Girl is a pretty reliable first check but I can't find anything about whether or not it's possible to fool her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)