UU Empoleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Overview
########

Empoleon returns for XY UU with a whole new niche: Defog, which allows it to easily clear entry hazards from the field. It has good defensive stats, a great defensive typing, a good movepool, and a resistance to Stealth Rock. In addition, it retains its capability from last generation to reliably set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. It can even use both Stealth Rock and Defog on the same set. It also has a decent Special Attack stat so it isn't complete setup bait. Its typing grants it a whopping ten resistances, including very useful ones to Flying, Bug, Rock, Water, Ice, Dragon, and more; its typing also gives it an immunity to Poison, allowing it to clear Toxic Spikes without fear of being poisoned.

Unfortunately, Empoleon has its flaws. Despite being a bulky Water-type, it can't handle powerful Fire-types due to its disappointing Defense stat and weakness to secondary STAB or coverage moves. Also, its Speed is relatively disappointing, leaving it outsped by most common offensive threats. Finally, while its defensive typing offers many useful resistances, it gives it weaknesses to Electric-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, which are common in the metagame. Despite these flaws, Empoleon is still an extremely effective defensive entry hazard controller in UU.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Defog / Toxic / Protect
move 3: Scald
move 4: Roar
ability: Torrent
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Stealth Rock deals damage to Pokemon when they switch in, making it significantly harder for Fire- and Flying-types to switch in on Empoleon. Defog is useful for clearing away entry hazards for your team. Keep in mind, however, that it also clears entry hazards that you have set up, so you will need to set up Stealth Rock again. Toxic is useful for dealing large amounts of damage to opponents, crippling walls, and putting sweepers on a timer. Protect can be used to stall for Leftovers recovery and burn damage from Scald. Scald is a reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn the opponent, crippling physical attackers and dealing chip damage to opponents. Roar allows you to phaze away boosts from setup sweepers and force the opponent to take entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Calm nature are used to maximize Special Defense and HP, utilizing Empoleon's good natural bulk. Leftovers aids in recovery, as well as stalling for burn and Toxic damage. It also allows you to shrug off damage from entry hazards more easily, which is useful, as Empoleon should be used to clear them away. The EVs can be changed around a bit to fit the needs of the team Empoleon is on. For example, if you really need a bit more physical bulk, you can put some EVs in Defense; while if you're using Empoleon on a slightly more offensive team and can't afford to lose much momentum, you can choose to run more Special Attack EVs.

Usage Tips
========

Empoleon should use its good bulk to switch in and reliably clear entry hazards or set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. Its plethora of resistances assists it in this goal, as it can easily come in on most attacks; its resistances include Rock (as a matter of fact, Empoleon is the only Defogger with a Stealth Rock resistance), Ice, Flying, Dragon, and Fairy. Use Roar to clear away boosts from opposing sweepers and rack up damage so that your teammates have less trouble sweeping. Roar is also very useful in disrupting Wish passing from Pokemon such as Florges, Aromatisse, Blissey, Umbreon, and Alomomola. It also works through Protect, making it harder for them to recover and aiding in wearing them down.

Team Options
=========

Wish passers, especially Florges and Aromatisse, make for good teammates, as they resist Fighting-type moves and can heal Empoleon, which is worn down relatively easily. Florges and Aromatisse, along with other special walls such as Blissey and Umbreon, can take on Electric-types that trouble Empoleon. Also, because Empoleon forces a fair number of switches, Pokemon that can capitalize on that make for good teammates. For example, Florges can't touch Empoleon, so you could double switch to Hydreigon. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazard removal, especially Fire- and Flying-types, enjoy the Defog support Empoleon provides. Stealth Rock support also makes it easier for Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mienshao, and Hydreigon to wallbreak. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate Empoleon's ability to switch into their weaknesses, such as Rotom-H, Noivern, and Kyurem; the first having particularly good synergy with Empoleon.

Other Options
========

An Assault Vest seems like a good idea considering Empoleon's decent bulk and Special Attack, but it just falls a bit short in offensive presence, cannot take physical hits well, and has no recovery whatsoever. A bulky Choice Specs set looks good too, but it is simply outclassed by other Pokemon and, again, falls short in sheer damage output. A Swords Dance set with Defiant could be used to pressure Defoggers and potentially sweep late-game, especially considering Empoleon's access to Aqua Jet, but its base 86 Attack is disappointing and it has abysmal Speed for a sweeper, forcing it to use Aqua Jet often. Empoleon's classic Agility + SubPetaya set seems like it could be an effective sweeper, increasing its Special Attack and Speed, but it lacks raw power and Speed, and is revenge killed by many popular Choice Scarf users. Finally, an Agility set with Life Orb and room for a third attack seems decent, but it has even less power than the aforementioned Agility + SubPetaya set and wears Empoleon down rather quickly.

Checks and Counters
========

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Raikou, and Mega Ampharos threaten Empoleon with their powerful STAB moves. Mega Ampharos, in particular, can take anything Empoleon can throw at it and 2HKO with Thunderbolt. It hardly fears the rare Ice Beam.

**Fighting-types**: Most Fighting-types can revenge kill Empoleon with their STAB moves. Toxicroak, though it does not reliably OHKO Empoleon with Drain Punch, walls it because of Dry Skin, forcing a switch where it can freely set up Swords Dance.

**Physical Attackers**: Hard-hitting physical attackers such as Mienshao, Darmanitan, and Krookodile have little trouble dispatching Empoleon because of its low Defense. Even some Fire-types, though they cannot switch in freely on Empoleon, can all OHKO or severely damage Empoleon with their STAB moves.

**Blissey**: Blissey can easily stall out Empoleon with a combination of Seismic Toss and Soft-Boiled and does not fear status thanks to Natural Cure.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types have nothing to fear from Empoleon except the rare Ice Beam. Only Shaymin and Celebi are affected by Toxic, and they can shrug it off with Natural Cure.

3 Attacks + Support
########
Name: 3 Attacks + Support
Move 1: Stealth Rock/Defog
Move 2: Hydro Pump/Scald
Move 3: Grass Knot
Move 4: Ice Beam/Flash Cannon
Ability: Torrent
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 84 Speed / 252 Sp.Atk / 172 HP
Nature: Modest/Timid

Moves
========
  • Hydro Pump as a powerful STAB move
  • Scald as a less powerful, but more reliable alternative in regards to accuracy + burn chance
  • Flash Cannon as a STAB alternative to Ice Beam
  • Grass Knot to take down other water types like Blastoise and Quagsire
  • Ice Beam for coverage
Set Details
========

• 84 Speed EVs allow Empoleon to outspeed uninvested base 70s
  • 252 SpA with a Modest nature maximizes power
  • Life Orb to deal more damage
  • Rest invested in HP

Usage Tips
========
This set can also be used as a lead but is less reliable defensively. When using this set, try not to waste Empoleon's offensive power by using it only for Stealth Rocks or Defog. This set is called "3 attacks + support" for a reason.

Team Options
========
  • Xatu to scare potential Taunt users or fighting types
  • (Mega) Manectric to absorb an incoming electric move with Lightningrod and get a free +1 boost
  • Ground types like Donphan to absorb incoming electric attacks and possibly discourage electric type moves from being used
  • Psychic types like Slowbro to wall and get rid of Empoleon's Fighting type counters
Choice Specs Attacker
########
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Hydro Pump/Scald
Move 2: Grass Knot
Move 3: Flash Cannon
Move 4: Ice Beam
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 116 Speed / 252 Sp.Atk / 142 HP
Nature: Modest

Moves
========
  • Hydro Pump as a powerful STAB move
  • Flash Cannon as a powerful STAB move + coverage against fairy types
  • Grass Knot to take down other water types like Blastoise and Quagsire
  • Ice Beam for coverage
Set Details
========
The 116 speed EVs are there to ensure that Empoleon will be able to outspeed walls, since this set is made for wallbreaking. The rest of the EVs after Sp.Atk and speed go to HP so Empoleon doesn't get obliterated on the spot by a faster pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
When you combine Empoleon's STAB Hydro Pump and Choice Specs, you get one of the most potent special wallbreakers in the UU tier. This set is very useful for breaking through many common walls such as Porygon2. Flash Cannon is also a useful STAB move, with a more reliable accuracy (100%) than Hydro Pump but far less base power. Furthermore, Flash Cannon provides coverage over fairy-types like Florges.

Team Options
========
  • Donphan/Hippowdon to switch in on incoming physical attacks/electric moves
  • Regenerator users such as Slowbro and Tangrowth as a defensive pivot, allowing Empoleon to switch moves
  • (Mega) Manectric to absorb an incoming electric move with Lightningrod and get a free +1 boost
  • Psychic types like Slowbro to wall and get rid of Empoleon's Fighting type counters

Last edited:

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Does anybody think the support + 3 attacks is viable? Also, should I add SubPetaya with Agility

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'm not sure if the original poster made it like this, but everything needs to be in bullet points. There are random sections in the analysis that seem to be written up.

Ununhexium

Yeah someone else did. I need to know if the 3 Attacks + Support is viable and if the Agiligy + Sub + Petaya Berry sets are good

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
three attacks + support seems decidedly outclassed by blastoise unless you have a very niche case where you need sr and a special sweeper? idk i'd put it in OO.

I'm not entirely sure that a choice specs set is even that good but I guess it has surprise value.

And yes sub + petaya + agility is sort of ok but there's so much special bulk in the tier that it doesn't have that much of a chance to sweep really. In any case you should remove that it's outclassed by the specs set because they fulfill completely different roles, one's a wallbreaker and one's a sweeper.

I might be a little harsh but i'm leaning towards just keeping the tank set (which is really the only one that's viable on its own merits) and leaving everything else to be used for surprise values in tournaments and stuff. the simple fact is that the only empoleon that is used and should be used in 95% of cases is the SR Defog one, and i think that should be reflected in the analysis.

Ununhexium

yeah I took this from someone else and those were there so i wasnt sure if they were of any use (i didnt think so). ill ask someone on IRC for the final verdict on specs and subpetaya

Yeah, I think that the only viable set is going to be the support set since in a tier filled with stuff like Blissey, Spdef Mew, Florges etc Empoleon just doesn't have the potential to carry out a Specs or Sub + Petaya set since it can't hit any of the Special Walls on their weaker physical side like Hydreigon with Superpower or NP Infernape with CC etc so yeah put everything bar the defog/support set into OO.

As for additions to the support set;

-Remove somewhat versatile and predictable from overview since it really isn't, 99% of Empoleon's are going to be that support set. Add it's one of the only defoggers that resists SR (if not the only one), so unlike Crobat and Aerodactyl, it can be coming in on SR more often without the need to Roost (although it doesn't get reliable recovery)
-Also in overview, mention that it's amazing Water/Steel typing unfortunately grants it weaknesses to Fighting-,Fire- and Ground-type moves meaning that it is weak or hit extremely hard (in the case of CB tini i think it OHKOes) to basically every common physical move in the tier. This basically means that as a Bulky Water, it severely underperforms on the aspect of being able to take hits from Victini, Darm, Mienshao etc due to this Steel-typing so it can cause a stacking of types or two many mons of a similar orientation to be in one team
-in Set Details, mention that it can run numerous different spreads that is what gives Empoleon it's surprise value, e.g Physically Defensive, Max SpA, just variations on the known Spdef spread that can throw opponents off
-Usage Details needs to reflect on it's many great resistances to Water, Rock, Steel, Psychic, Bug etc etc Basically it has 10 resistances so it has ample opportunities to come in and set up SR/defog them away.
-Team options first and foremost should include a wish passer, something like Florges as it can take the brunt of Fighting-type moves aimed at Empoleon since Empoleon has no reliable recovery. Empoleon is a wall, so you want to pair Empoleon with Pokemon that like the support Empoleon brings. It resists 10 types so there is obviously going to be a lot of pokemon that appreciate Empoleon. Hydreigon is an immediate one that comes to mind since Florges is hard walled by Empol and basically set up fodder for hazards, defogging w/e.
-Like i said move all the other sets to OO

and for the love of fucking all that is holy, Machamp and Electivire
REMOVE THE MENTION OF EVIRE

Basically just redo the entire C&C section cause it's not the greatest
then you get QC 2/3 achieved Ununhexium

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

Ununhexium

A) my computer is going to shit and ads are annoying

B) I'll keep it but thanks for offering :)

I'm trying to update but its hard atm

fix ya formattin.

change Mega Ampharos to Electric-types in c&c, since raikou and rotom-c are both pains for empo as well

in set details, i would just say that a full on physically defensive spread can be used as an alternative as opposed to some p defense, you're really better off running full on investment in one stat as opposed to just running a mixed bulk kinda thing which doesn't accomplish much for you

mention in moves that sr also makes it hard for fire- and flying-types to switch in

mention in set details that roar can also take away intended wishpasses from Protect users like Florges and Aromatisse, which lets them get worn down even more

add blissey to c&c since it can stall empo out with seismic toss + softboiled and isn't particularly phased by status either thanks to natural cure

add special walls like florges and umb to team partners as they're good answers to the electric-types that shit on empo and also can take care of some other checks to empo (mienshao to florges, nidos to umb, etc)

put in some examples for physical attackers in c&c; cb / lo darm, cb krook, etc. mention that most of them can't switch in, however

put grass types in c&c, as shaymin and celebi only really have to worry about ice beam and dont care about status thanks to natural cure

i would remove the mega ab and espe part of c&c cause empo isn't insanely weak to taunt and if anything open up more holes for it

mention pokemon that appreciate the removal of hazard cleaning in team options, such as fire- and flying-types

also mention pokemon that appreciate sr support in team options, like krook and mienshao

mention pokemon that appreciate empos good set of resistances in team options (rotom-h, noivern, kyurem, etc) also mention that the former two have good synergy

so yeah it seems like a lot but do this and thts 3/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Empoleon returns for XY UU with a whole new niche: Defog, whichging. This allows it to easily clear entry hazards from the field. without the fear It has good defensive stats, a great defensive typing, a good movepool, and a resistance to Stealth Rock. In addition, it retains its ability from last generation to reliably set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. It can even use both Stealth Rock and Defog on the same set. It also has a decent Special Attack stat, so it isn't complete setup bait. It's typing grants it a whopping ten resistances, including very useful ones to Flying-, Bug-, Rock-, Water-, Ice-, Dragon-, and more; as well as its typing also gives it an immunity to Poison, allowing it to clear Toxic Spikes without fear of being poisoned.

Unfortunately, Empoleon has its flaws. Despite being a bulky Water-type, it can't handle powerful Fire-types due to its disappointing Defense stat or and weakness to secondary STAB or coverage moves. Also, its Speed is relatively disappointing, leaving it outsped by most common offensive threats. Finally, while its defensive typing offers many useful resistances, it gives it weaknesses to Electric-, Ground-, and Fighting-types moves;, attacking types that which are common in the metagame. Despite these flaws, Empoleon is still an extremely effective defensive entry hazard controller in UU.

Specially Defensive
########
Name: Specially Defensive
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Defog / Toxic / Protect
Move 3: Scald
Move 4: Roar
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is arguably the most important move in competitive Pokemon, dealsing damage to Pokemon when they switch in. It also, and makes it significantly harder for Fire- and Flying-types to switch in on Empoleon. Defog is useful for clearing away entry hazards for your team. Keep in mind, however, that it also clears entry hazards that you set up from the opponent's side of the field, so you will need to set up Stealth Rock again. Toxic is useful for dealing large amounts of damage to opponents, crippling walls, and putting sweepers on a timer. Protect can be used to stall for Leftovers recovery and burn damage from Scald. Scald is a reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn the opponent, crippling physical attackers and dealing chip damage to opponents. Roar allows you to phaze away boosts from setup sweepers and force the opponent to take entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and Calm nature are used to maximize Special Defense and HP, utilizing Empoleon's good natural bulk. Leftovers aids in recovery, and stalling for burn, and Toxic damage. It also allows you to shrug off damage from entry hazards more easily, which is useful, as Empoleon should be used to clear them away. The EVs can be changed around a bit to fit the needs of the team it is on. For example, if you really need a bit more physical bulk, you can put some EVs in physical dDefense; or if you're using Empoleon on a slightly more offensive team and can't afford to lose much momentum, you can choose to run more Special Attack EVs.

Usage Tips
========

Empoleon should use its good bulk to switch in and reliably clear entry hazards or set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. Its plethora of resistances assists it in this goal, as it can easily come in on most attacks 10 of 18 total types,; some of which its resistances are very useful, including Rock (as a matter of fact, it Empoleon is the only Defogger with a Stealth Rock resistance), Ice, Flying, Dragon, and Fairy. Use Roar to clear away boosts from opposing sweepers and rack up damage so that your teammates have less trouble sweeping. Roar is also very useful in disrupting Wish (add space) passing from Pokemon such as Florges, Aromatisse, Blissey, Umbreon, and Alomomola. It also works through Protect, making it harder for them to recover and aids aiding in wearing them down.

Team Options
=========

Wish passers, especially Florges and Aromatisse, make for good teammates, as they resist Fighting-type moves, make great partners because they and can heal Empoleon who is worn down relatively easily. Florges and Aromatisse, again, along with other special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, can take on Electric-types that trouble Empoleon. Also, because Empoleon forces a fair number of switches, Pokemon that can capitalize off of that make for good teammates. For example, Florges can't touch Empoleon, so you could double switch to Hydreigon with ease. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazard removal, especially Fire- and Flying-types, enjoy the Defog support Empoleon provides. Stealth Rock support also makes it easier for Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mienshao, and Hydreigon to wallbreak. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate Empoleon's ability to switch in to their weaknesses, such as Rotom-H, Noivern, and Kyurem; the first having particularly good synergy with Empoleon.

Other Options
========

An Assault Vest seems like a good idea, considering Empoleon's decent bulk and Special Attack, but it just falls a bit short in offensive presence, has subpar physical bulk cannot take physical hits well, and has no recovery whatsoever. A bulky Choice Specs set looks good too, but it is simply outclassed by other Pokemon and it, again, falls short in sheer damage output. A Swords Dance set with Defiant could be used to pressure Defoggers and potentially sweep late-game, especially considering its Empoleon's access to Aqua Jet, but its base 86 Attack is disappointing and it has abysmal Speed for a sweeper, forcing it to use Aqua Jet often. It's classic Agility + SubPetaya set seems like it could be an effective sweeper, increasing its Special Attack and Speed, but it lacks the raw power and Speed, still being and is revenged killed by many popular Choice Scarf users. Finally, an Agility set with Life Orb and room for a third attack seems decent, but it has even less power than the former previously mentioned Agility + SubPetaya set, and wears it down very quickly.

Checks and Counters
========

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Raikou, and Mega Ampharos spell trouble for Empoleon, threatening it Empoleon with their powerful STAB moves. Mega Ampharos, in particular, can take anything Empoleon can throw at it and 2HKO with Thunderbolt. It hardly fears the rare Ice Beam.

**Fighting-types**: Most every Fighting-types in the tier can revenge KO Empoleon with their STAB moves. Toxicroak, though it does not reliably OHKO Empoleon with Drain Punch, walls it because of Dry Skin, forcing a switch where it can freely set up Swords Dance.

**Physical Attackers**: Hard-hitting physical attackers such as Mienshao, Darmanitan, and Krookodile have little trouble dispatching Empoleon because of its low Defense. Even some Fire-types, though they cannot switch in freely on Empoleon, can all OHKO or severely damage Empoleon with their STAB moves.

**Blissey**: Blissey can easily stall out Empoleon with a combination of Seismic Toss and Soft-boiled and does not fear status thanks to Natural Cure.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types have nothing to fear from Empoleon except the rare Ice Beam. Only Shaymin and Celebi can be are affected by Toxic, and they can shrug it off through with Natural Cure.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Ununhexium

hi
Overview
########

Empoleon returns for XY UU with a whole new niche: Defog, whichging. This allows it to easily clear entry hazards from the field. without the fear It has good defensive stats, a great defensive typing, a good movepool, and a resistance to Stealth Rock. In addition, it retains its ability from last generation to reliably set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. It can even use both Stealth Rock and Defog on the same set. It also has a decent Special Attack stat, so it isn't complete setup bait. It's typing grants it a whopping ten resistances, including very useful ones to Flying-, Bug-, Rock-, Water-, Ice-, Dragon-, and more; as well as its typing also gives it an immunity to Poison, allowing it to clear Toxic Spikes without fear of being poisoned.

Unfortunately, Empoleon has its flaws. Despite being a bulky Water-type, it can't handle powerful Fire-types due to its disappointing Defense stat or and weakness to secondary STAB or coverage moves. Also, its Speed is relatively disappointing, leaving it outsped by most common offensive threats. Finally, while its defensive typing offers many useful resistances, it gives it weaknesses to Electric-, Ground-, and Fighting-types moves;, attacking types that which are common in the metagame. Despite these flaws, Empoleon is still an extremely effective defensive entry hazard controller in UU.

Specially Defensive
########
Name: Specially Defensive
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Defog / Toxic / Protect
Move 3: Scald
Move 4: Roar
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is arguably the most important move in competitive Pokemon, dealsing damage to Pokemon when they switch in. It also, and makes it significantly harder for Fire- and Flying-types to switch in on Empoleon. Defog is useful for clearing away entry hazards for your team. Keep in mind, however, that it also clears entry hazards that you set up from the opponent's side of the field, so you will need to set up Stealth Rock again. Toxic is useful for dealing large amounts of damage to opponents, crippling walls, and putting sweepers on a timer. Protect can be used to stall for Leftovers recovery and burn damage from Scald. Scald is a reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn the opponent, crippling physical attackers and dealing chip damage to opponents. Roar allows you to phaze away boosts from setup sweepers and force the opponent to take entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and Calm nature are used to maximize Special Defense and HP, utilizing Empoleon's good natural bulk. Leftovers aids in recovery, and stalling for burn, and Toxic damage. It also allows you to shrug off damage from entry hazards more easily, which is useful, as Empoleon should be used to clear them away. The EVs can be changed around a bit to fit the needs of the team it is on. For example, if you really need a bit more physical bulk, you can put some EVs in physical dDefense; or if you're using Empoleon on a slightly more offensive team and can't afford to lose much momentum, you can choose to run more Special Attack EVs.

Usage Tips
========

Empoleon should use its good bulk to switch in and reliably clear entry hazards or set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. Its plethora of resistances assists it in this goal, as it can easily come in on most attacks 10 of 18 total types,; some of which its resistances are very useful, including Rock (as a matter of fact, it Empoleon is the only Defogger with a Stealth Rock resistance), Ice, Flying, Dragon, and Fairy. Use Roar to clear away boosts from opposing sweepers and rack up damage so that your teammates have less trouble sweeping. Roar is also very useful in disrupting Wish (add space) passing from Pokemon such as Florges, Aromatisse, Blissey, Umbreon, and Alomomola. It also works through Protect, making it harder for them to recover and aids aiding in wearing them down.

Team Options
=========

Wish passers, especially Florges and Aromatisse, make for good teammates, as they resist Fighting-type moves, make great partners because they and can heal Empoleon who is worn down relatively easily. Florges and Aromatisse, again, along with other special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, can take on Electric-types that trouble Empoleon. Also, because Empoleon forces a fair number of switches, Pokemon that can capitalize off of that make for good teammates. For example, Florges can't touch Empoleon, so you could double switch to Hydreigon with ease. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazard removal, especially Fire- and Flying-types, enjoy the Defog support Empoleon provides. Stealth Rock support also makes it easier for Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mienshao, and Hydreigon to wallbreak. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate Empoleon's ability to switch in to their weaknesses, such as Rotom-H, Noivern, and Kyurem; the first having particularly good synergy with Empoleon.

Other Options
========

An Assault Vest seems like a good idea, considering Empoleon's decent bulk and Special Attack, but it just falls a bit short in offensive presence, has subpar physical bulk cannot take physical hits well, and has no recovery whatsoever. A bulky Choice Specs set looks good too, but it is simply outclassed by other Pokemon and it, again, falls short in sheer damage output. A Swords Dance set with Defiant could be used to pressure Defoggers and potentially sweep late-game, especially considering its Empoleon's access to Aqua Jet, but its base 86 Attack is disappointing and it has abysmal Speed for a sweeper, forcing it to use Aqua Jet often. It's classic Agility + SubPetaya set seems like it could be an effective sweeper, increasing its Special Attack and Speed, but it lacks the raw power and Speed, still being and is revenged killed by many popular Choice Scarf users. Finally, an Agility set with Life Orb and room for a third attack seems decent, but it has even less power than the former previously mentioned Agility + SubPetaya set, and wears it down very quickly.

Checks and Counters
========

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Raikou, and Mega Ampharos spell trouble for Empoleon, threatening it Empoleon with their powerful STAB moves. Mega Ampharos, in particular, can take anything Empoleon can throw at it and 2HKO with Thunderbolt. It hardly fears the rare Ice Beam.

**Fighting-types**: Most every Fighting-types in the tier can revenge KO Empoleon with their STAB moves. Toxicroak, though it does not reliably OHKO Empoleon with Drain Punch, walls it because of Dry Skin, forcing a switch where it can freely set up Swords Dance.

**Blissey**: Blissey can easily stall out Empoleon with a combination of Seismic Toss and Soft-boiled and does not fear status thanks to Natural Cure.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types have nothing to fear from Empoleon except the rare Ice Beam. Only Shaymin and Celebi can be are affected by Toxic, and they can shrug it off through with Natural Cure.

GP 1/2
this is implemented. thank you :)

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Empoleon returns for XY UU with a whole new niche: Defog, which allows it to easily clear entry hazards from the field. It has good defensive stats, a great defensive typing, a good movepool, and a resistance to Stealth Rock. In addition, it retains its capability from last generation to reliably set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. It can even use both Stealth Rock and Defog on the same set. It also has a decent Special Attack stat so it isn't complete setup bait. Its typing grants it a whopping ten resistances, including very useful ones to Flying, Bug, Rock, Water, Ice, Dragon, and more; its typing also gives it an immunity to Poison, allowing it to clear Toxic Spikes without fear of being poisoned.

Unfortunately, Empoleon has its flaws. Despite being a bulky Water-type, it can't handle powerful Fire-types due to its disappointing Defense stat and weakness to secondary STAB or coverage moves. Also, its Speed is relatively disappointing, leaving it outsped by most common offensive threats. Finally, while its defensive typing offers many useful resistances, it gives it weaknesses to Electric-, Ground-, and Fighting-type moves, which are common in the metagame. Despite these flaws, Empoleon is still an extremely effective defensive entry hazard controller in UU.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Defog / Toxic / Protect
move 3: Scald
move 4: Roar
ability: Torrent
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Stealth Rock deals damage to Pokemon when they switch in, and makes making it significantly harder for Fire- and Flying-types to switch into on Empoleon. Defog is useful for clearing away entry hazards for your team. Keep in mind, however, that it also clears entry hazards that you have set up, so you will need to set up Stealth Rock again. Toxic is useful for dealing large amounts of damage to opponents, crippling walls, and putting sweepers on a timer. Protect can be used to stall for Leftovers recovery and burn damage from Scald. Scald is a reliable STAB move that has a chance to burn the opponent, crippling physical attackers and dealing chip damage to opponents. Roar allows you to phaze away boosts from setup sweepers and force the opponent to take entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Calm nature are used to maximize Special Defense and HP, utilizing Empoleon's good natural bulk. Leftovers aids in recovery, as well as stalling for burn, (remove comma) and Toxic damage. It also allows you to shrug off damage from entry hazards more easily, which is useful, as Empoleon should be used to clear them away. The EVs can be changed around a bit to fit the needs of the team it Empoleon is on. For example, if you really need a bit more physical bulk, you can put some EVs in Defense; while if you're using Empoleon on a slightly more offensive team and can't afford to lose much momentum, you can choose to run more Special Attack EVs.

Usage Tips
========

Empoleon should use its good bulk to switch in and reliably clear entry hazards or set up Stealth Rock multiple times throughout the match. Its plethora of resistances assists it in this goal, as it can easily come in on most attacks; its resistances which are very useful, including include Rock (as a matter of fact, Empoleon is the only Defogger with a Stealth Rock resistance), Ice, Flying, Dragon, and Fairy. Use Roar to clear away boosts from opposing sweepers and rack up damage so that your teammates have less trouble sweeping. Roar is also very useful in disrupting Wish passing from Pokemon such as Florges, Aromatisse, Blissey, Umbreon, and Alomomola. It also works through Protect, making it harder for them to recover and aiding in wearing them down.

Team Options
=========

Wish passers, especially Florges and Aromatisse, make for good teammates, as they resist Fighting-type moves and can heal Empoleon, which who is worn down relatively easily. Florges and Aromatisse, (comma) along with other special walls such as Blissey and Umbreon, can take on Electric-types that trouble Empoleon. Also, because Empoleon forces a fair number of switches, Pokemon that can capitalize off on that make for good teammates. For example, Florges can't touch Empoleon, so you could double switch to Hydreigon. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazard removal, especially Fire- and Flying-types, enjoy the Defog support Empoleon provides. Stealth Rock support also makes it easier for Pokemon such as Krookodile, Mienshao, and Hydreigon to wallbreak. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate Empoleon's ability to switch into their weaknesses, such as Rotom-H, Noivern, and Kyurem; the first having particularly good synergy with Empoleon.

Other Options
========

An Assault Vest seems like a good idea considering Empoleon's decent bulk and Special Attack, but it just falls a bit short in offensive presence, cannot take physical hits well, and has no recovery whatsoever. A bulky Choice Specs set looks good too, but it is simply outclassed by other Pokemon and it, again, falls short in sheer damage output. A Swords Dance set with Defiant could be used to pressure Defoggers and potentially sweep late-game, especially considering Empoleon's access to Aqua Jet, but its base 86 Attack is disappointing and it has abysmal Speed for a sweeper, forcing it to use Aqua Jet often. I's Empoleon's classic Agility + SubPetaya set seems like it could be an effective sweeper, increasing its Special Attack and Speed, but it lacks raw power and Speed, and is revenged killed by many popular Choice Scarf users. Finally, an Agility set with Life Orb and room for a third attack seems decent, but it has even less power than the aforementioned Agility + SubPetaya set and wears it Empoleon down rather quickly.

Checks and Counters
========

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Rotom-C, Raikou, and Mega Ampharos threaten it Empoleon with their powerful STAB moves. Mega Ampharos, in particular, can take anything Empoleon can throw at it and 2HKO with Thunderbolt. It hardly fears the rare Ice Beam.

**Fighting-types**: Most Fighting-types can revenge kill KO Empoleon with their STAB moves. Toxicroak, though it does not reliably OHKO Empoleon with Drain Punch, walls it because of Dry Skin, forcing a switch where it can freely set up Swords Dance.

**Blissey**: Blissey can easily stall out Empoleon with a combination of Seismic Toss and Soft-Boiled and does not fear status thanks to Natural Cure.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types have nothing to fear from Empoleon except the rare Ice Beam. Only Shaymin and Celebi are affected by Toxic, and they can shrug it off with Natural Cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)