Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Cool stuff. I downloaded the game and it seems like something I'd be addicted to.. trying to unlock Heroes right now.
Yeah, I've been playing for about 2 months now, it's not a tough game to get into, the gameplay is fairly intuitive, currently I'm at rank 8 without spending any money.

Definitely start by trying to unlock all of the classes against the AIs and then beating the expert AIs after them. It gets you a lot of free gold to start off with, and you'll get the hang of the game, which cards are actually good or not. The first 5 ranks of ranked play (25-20) don't penalize you for losing at all, so you can do whatever you want. I wouldn't recommend playing casual. Once you can beat all of the expert AIs, go ahead and try the arena. Don't try to play all of the classes in ranked, pick a few that you like and get a hang of them, they're all very different. Watching streamers is also a good way to get a better understanding of the game and how to get the most value out of your cards, Trump is a pretty good one. I wouldn't worry at all about net decking or the meta for a while, it really doesn't come into play for a while, even now I run kinda random decks.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trump is the best streamer to watch because he plans out his moves and you can see what he's thinking (mostly because he tell you). He isn't the best player by any means but watching him will get you a solid footing of what you should be expected to do in a given situation (also mulligans).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My ass got handed to me by AI Warrior and Shaman... and here I was thinking the AI would be piss easy and I'd easily get into the game lol.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Just a quick question, is Baron Geddon a good legendary? I'm asking because I got a golden Baron Geddon in a pack and im considering DE'ing it for a Ragnaros / Sylvanas but I don't know if Baron is worth keeping

On a related not is King Krush good in any hunter deck

Asek

Geddon mostly finds use in Control Warrior as a source of AOE. At this point, if you don't have some of the other staples like Rag/Jenkins/Thalnos, I'd disenchant him for that since those fit on many more decks.

While King Krush is the coolest thing ever, it's not really that good. Jenkins + Hero Ability does the same amount of burst damage to their face for 3 less mana, and the downside of Jenkins can be circumvented with Doggies. But I think it could be good in a more midrange / control Hunter?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
yeah I just have to vent I'm god damn fucking sick of god damn grinding this stupid fucking fucking ladder holy fucking shit what a no-skill piece of shit worthless fucking game
Because I just lost to fucking Zoo. The bad kind of Zoo that runs Power Overwhelming and a bunch of charge creatures and just goes face. How? Turn 7 fucking Azure Drake into double Mortal Coil on my Mirror Images. Come again? The fuck is is this combination of cards doing in this deck? This is the absolute putrid fucking garbage I'm losing to on a bad streak of luck right now. I lost to more than one Hellfire Zoo player last night too.

Heaven fucking forbid I ever fucking beat Miracle Rogue. Even if I kill the fucking Auctioneer(s) or they don't fucking draw them? Oh look, I die to a fucking Leeroy combo on Turn 8 when they're barely halfway through their deck. Ignore minions and try to race? Oh let me just Cold Blood my guy, weapon up and hit you for 15 while protecting said guy from removal for next turn. And you sure can't stick a god damn fucking thing against them either thanks to all the literally free removal spells they have, so they're even free to develop their own board at the same time. I absolutely cannot beat this deck no matter what deck I play, the RNG is too strong.

Cancer Rogue? Oh sure, I have them right where I want them, then I die from 15 health on turn 5. Druid? I'm amazed whenever I don't see a Turn 1 minion on the board. Handlock? Oh look, it's Turn 4 + Turn 5 Mountain Giant and Twilight Drake (in either order). Meanwhile I'm losing because I go 22 deep and don't pull Equality in my Paladin Aggro deck. I lost a game against Zoo earlier when my Avenging Wrath went SEVEN to fucking face instead of killing anything on board (.0366% chance). I go just as deep with Handlock and see a single Twilight Drake, which I didn't even get to play on Turn 4. When I play Ramp Druid, which has been my go-to legend deck the previous seasons, I'm lucky if I have one early ramp spell 30% of the time (the actual probability is around 75-80%).

I've been playing almost the entire past three days and this shit is wearing thin on me. It's been back and forth as above but I made it to five stars Rank 1 early today. Then I got gatekeepered by fucking Miracle Rogue (impossible matchup for everything I play apparently) and it was all downhill from there, again. I just want normal person luck. These ungodly horrible unlucky streaks are stressing me the fuck out. :(

Problem with King Krush is he costs nine mana, you can't even Hero Power with him so he ends up doing lower burst damage than most other plays you could be making with that much mana. :( That said, I wouldn't disenchant any legendary since you only get 1/4 the dust anyway toward another one. You'll regret it sometime into the future. Unless it's golden, then you're cool... Geddon is worth keeping though, I wouldn't disenchant him unless you really have your eye on some other decktypes that straight-up require other legends.

ALSO NAXXRAMAS WEDNESDAY YOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I really wanted to hit Legend early this season and maybe make a push to Top 16 (pending my desire to put in the effort), Top 100 or some reasonably successful milestone rather than just hitting Legend and screwing around afterward. :( But at this point it is too late without some serious work and I've already put in a shitload this week.

also Naxx TUESDAY apparently, at least so says the Battle.net ad even better !!

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dude do it soon before you see the maniacs who'll grind all the Naxx cards super early and start unleashing those first wave of gimmicky combo decks that come with every TCG expansion.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
>Opp turn 3: play Alarm-o-Bot (behind frostwolf grunt)
>My Turn 3: Kill taunt with 3/2 (die) and lay down an acolyte
>Opp Turn 4: Alarm-o-Bot out Deathwing. play footman + alarm-o-bot.
>My Turn 4: Polymorph Deathwing. hit taunt w/ acolyte.
>Opp Turn 5: alarm-o-bot out Ysera (which as i found out next turn dreamed out Emerald Drake)

This card needs to be banned by the Geneva Convention. I probably require to be institutionalized after playing that match.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just saying Mr.E all those zoo decks with the "weird" cards you mentioned are really valid changes to the standard Zoo deck. Hellfire Zoo has been around since last season and the one with the Azure + Coil is supposed to ease the matchup against Paladin.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Hellfire Zoo is only played by mentally damaged people. Hellfire hits both sides of the field. Zoo es numero uno at board control, so it's basically only useful if they fall behind against other Zoo players and maybe the odd other fast, flooding aggro decks (Shockadin/Rogue) if those get an especially strong start and Zoo gets a bad one. They would perhaps avoid being in a compromising position in the first place if not for sitting on bad, situational stuff like Hellfire in a deck which is specifically designed to flood the hell out of the board... If Zoo loses control of the board bad enough they need Hellfire in the first place, you're doing something wrong or you already lost anyway.

Last edited:

Matthew

that's like saying a situational card like BGH or TBK is useless because Shaman's don't run 7+ attack minions or Warriors don't run Taunt. It's to improve a matchup, if you can't see that I'm sorry??

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Those are not at all similar situations. You can play BGH as a 4/2 for three mana, you can play TBK as a six-mana Yeti. The entire point of Zoo is to flood the blood with cheap, efficient minions so you can't play Hellfire at all unless you're on the ropes against another aggro deck (particularly the mirror), a position you're more likely to avoid in the first place if you had something like DID, Argent Commander, or whatever instead of Hellfire. ;[ If Hellfire even helps you in the first place, since it deals damage to your face (in a class that cannibalizes itself for draw) and leaves you four mana down to repopulate the board compared to your opponent's next turn. It's not that useful against slower decks either like Handlock, Paladin control, taunt-heavy Ramp Druid except as a very bad form of reach since they play few, large minions that Hellfire won't kill on its own.

It's kinda like BGH in specifically Handlock, which is unplayable when the only 7+ attack minion on the board is your own because the battlecry isn't optional and can target your field, except Zoo always has "the only 7+ attack minions on the board." And BGH is already pretty dumb in Handlock (on the ladder, not tourney play). Hellfire in Zoo isn't a situational card you can play suboptimally anytime, it's a situational card you can't play at all most of the time.

And not that Azure Drake is bad but in a Zoo deck? Very strange. Its body is underpowered for its mana cost and you can already emulate the draw with Life Tap. I've never a seen Zoo deck run Yeti and even DID is in a minority of them. Zoo's not really about card efficiency. I've seen plenty of even goofier shit that I've lost in my IRC ramblings though, I just made that post to stop myself from rambling further.

Three games today, three wins... killing a total of three minions according to my quest heh. 417 Legend. Darn, so close to 420. also I just realized yesterday I'm basically playing shockadin fuck (I guess it's a decent deck after all but at least I pride myself on doing more than just mindlessly throwing Charge minions at my opponent's face. Anyway, Level 60 now so time to play something else I suppose?)

edit: I decayed three ranks already, aww yiss

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
when i got legend last season it put me as rank 69 but i lost MY FUCKING SCREENSHOT BECAUSE PUUSH IS TERRIBAD

Matthew

Well, Kodo is going to be stampeding into every deck with all these Naxx cards. That's for sure

so I drafted a rogue arena

it was fucking terrible. one backstab, no evis, no si7, no poisons, no blade flurry or perditions blade, heavy on the five slot blah blah

went 3-3, was satisfied with it because the deck was garbage

opened my pack and now I'm not even mad

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So Spectral Knight is a meta-defining card. I can count on one hand the number of ways you can kill it if you don't have board control. Board Control is becoming, somehow, even MORE important in Naxx. Seriously Zoo has a 4/6 Faerie Dragon to play turn 5.

Also all of the new cards are exciting, besides maybe Wailing Banshee and Feugan and Stalagg are so lackluster with Spectral Knight in the picture.

Took a break from HS for a while, but with Nax coming, I'm gonna give it another go.
What would be a good deck to ladder with atm? I'm thinking something like Control/ Healadin because I like the style and I've been told it's pretty solid.
Looking to finally reach Legend (nearly had it 2 seasons ago with a Secrets Mage xd).

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I tried Hellfire zoo. Its shit. Hellfire is just a dead card and whenever you end up playing it the game is over anyway. As a side note if you like getting angry PMs fro alsmot everyone just ladder zoo with a legend cardback :)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you need a 4/6 Faerie Dragon to play turn 5 as Zoo, you're playing the deck wrong. There's a reason most Zoo decks top out their curve with 2x Doomguard.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
NAXX IS OUT!!! :D
IMO the second fight was the hardest - as a tempo rogue player the hero power really punished having card advantage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)