The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats RowDog its a pretty solid team you have there! Ditto is pretty good acting as a great check to boosters. Did you find that you had to run a certain hidden power on ditto? Hidden power really isnt seen too much, but has utility in some cases. What do you think?

Congrats RowDog its a pretty solid team you have there! Ditto is pretty good acting as a great check to boosters. Did you find that you had to run a certain hidden power on ditto? Hidden power really isnt seen too much, but has utility in some cases. What do you think?
For the most part, I didn't really see any Hidden Power users, though did run into a Shaymin with HP Ice at one point. I personally forgot about bothering to change IVs or any of the sort, as like you said, Hidden Power is rather uncommon. Though the 2 worthwhile ones I'd think are HP Ice and Grass, as the only real users of the move are mainly electric types, which would prefer HP Ice for hitting Grass-types and Gligar and HP Grass for Water/Ground types such as Swampert or Gastrodon. So those would be the only 2 worthwile ones in UU atm.

For the most part, I didn't really see any Hidden Power users, though did run into a Shaymin with HP Ice at one point. I personally forgot about bothering to change IVs or any of the sort, as like you said, Hidden Power is rather uncommon. Though the 2 worthwhile ones I'd think are HP Ice and Grass, as the only real users of the move are mainly electric types, which would prefer HP Ice for hitting Grass-types and Gligar and HP Grass for Water/Ground types such as Swampert or Gastrodon. So those would be the only 2 worthwile ones in UU atm.
Yeah thats a good point, i suppose hp grass would be more ideal since gligar is fairly rare (except for your team lol) and hp grass hits swampy and gastro harder. Congrats on the peak again! Are you going for 1600 you think?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
entering as guildd with frosslass, alomom, kingdra

nvm frosslass is garb on this team

Last edited:
Made it to 1600 with relative ease. So many forfeits, it's brilliant. The UU population does not like vsing Stall. Proof of 1600 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-142899943

Ditto has probably been the most valued Pokemon on the team, getting me a ridiculous amount of turn arounds. Really is what makes this team so good.

EDIT: Will keep climbing to see how high I can get

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I got my computer fixed and running again...it'll be a while but I'm gonna go and update scores and ranks on this thread. Glad to see you all participating actively, and I'm impressed at the amount of people breaking into the 1600s this month. Sad part is I actually was planning on changing my Dark Horses but never got around to testing cause of circumstances. I'll update (and ladder) when all that's fixed. For now, just hang tight while I put scores/leaderboard points up. Keep it going everyone!

chimpact

fire nation
http://puu.sh/aiHFb.txt

got 1500

current team. playing against a lot of mediocre players honestly. team is just struggling. ive been changing the kingdra set from sub to protect and almost lost a game where i thought i had protect to stall out a toxic turn :[. Really wish i had tspikes but tenta would only add more weaknesses to this team.

edit: hit 1600.

http://puu.sh/aiZUO.txt
changed the team up a bit
added tenta this time. sd hera helps me against opposing defensive teams. and hippo alomomala help against dragons. still lose to every shaymin, offensive celebi and most crobats :[

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna say I revamped my team entirely cause the one I was using I just wasn't comfortable with, and though I didn't take any major Ls with it (yet) I wasn't comfy with it...Not only that both my Dark Horses were used by other people (especially Kingdra, good lord) so here's my new setup:

Yanmega - 1.19462%
Dugtrio - 1.51211%
Chandelure - 8.90679%
Tentacruel - 4.89584%
Mienshao - 11.44863%
Umbreon - 6.65595%

= 34.61394%!

Will edit this post w/team changes, screenshots, replays, reviews, etc. when it gets further. Laddering's smooth so far, 12-1 with this setup. Just haven't run into the stuff it's terribly weak to...yet.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gonna go for it again. Dark Horses will be Aromatisse, Cofagrigus, Abomasnow, Escavalier, and Exploud. Let's see if Trick Room can do well in UU! (This is probably going to go horribly lol I'll be suprised to get C-rank) Victini is final team member, using Kitten Milk's awesome Weakness Policy set.

Alt: Tricky Sage

| 7 | Victini | 15.68579% |
| 82 | Escavalier | 1.18945% |
| 88 | Cofagrigus | 1.06248% |
| 94 | Aromatisse | 0.86443% |
| 96 | Exploud | 0.83554% |
| 112 | Abomasnow | 0.55039% |

It should be pretty fucking obvious this is under 35%

CoolStoryBrobat

Gonna go for it again. Dark Horses will be Aromatisse, Cofagrigus, Abomasnow, Escavalier, and Exploud. Let's see if Trick Room can do well in UU! (This is probably going to go horribly lol I'll be suprised to get C-rank) Victini is final team member, using Kitten Milk's awesome Weakness Policy set.

Alt: Tricky Sage

| 7 | Victini | 15.68579% |
| 82 | Escavalier | 1.18945% |
| 88 | Cofagrigus | 1.06248% |
| 94 | Aromatisse | 0.86443% |
| 96 | Exploud | 0.83554% |
| 112 | Abomasnow | 0.55039% |

It should be pretty fucking obvious this is under 35%
You'll have to wait till next month, sir. You already got on the Hall of Fame for this month, and I'm not permitting multiple peaks within the same month. Sorry

Nevermind. I'm an idiot and thought you won this month already for some reason...Shows how much I know, lol. Go right ahead

Sage

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You'll have to wait till next month, sir. You already got on the Hall of Fame for this month, and I'm not permitting multiple peaks within the same month. Sorry

Nevermind. I'm an idiot and thought you won this month already for some reason...Shows how much I know, lol. Go right ahead
Lol this was the team i got unbelieveably haxed with. It went 5-5 in test and isn't gonna cut it. I don't wanna spend a week laddering a mediocre team. The sweepers work better in RU due to the higher bulk of UU teams overall. Kitten Milk your Victini took 3 of my 5 wins though so thats cool.

EDIT: Keeping Alt just changing team completely. Dark Horses Kyurem, Big Luvdisc, and Brobalion.

Last edited:

chimpact

fire nation
decided to stick with the kingdra/alomom/aromatisse team cause i kept losing to strong special attackers.

gonna stop laddering right now.

if they have a slowbro or suicune, the game just lasts forever and they're pretty common.

I really feel aromatisse is going to see a lot more usage in the future. It's a really solid mon with a really dumb ability. not being able to get encored/taunted/disabled [lost me a game with kingdra :[ ], is pretty big. Stallbreaker mew, sableye, and other mons can't consistently beat stall because of aromatisse's resilience to taunt. mew has to rely on infestation, which isn't bad, but it really struggles against offensive teams moreso than the taunt set. you can at least get value out of taunt against dd haxorus or cm cune etc.

imo aromatisse is a better mon than florges because of its ability alone. florges may have better stats, but i'd much rather face bliss/florg than aroma/bliss.

Kingdra is just a solid mon in general. it doesnt do that well on this team because of how vulnerable it is to special attackers. kingdra has decent bulk but it needs to have a good matchup against a mon and be relatively healthy for it to set up to even get a kill. the greatest thing about kingdra is its versatility. it has rain dance mixed, rain dance special, dd rest, all out attacker etc. theres a variety of sets that it can be and although some pokemon are universal answers to kingdra [suicune/florges etc.], if they're not on the opponent's team they may just lose a mon scouting the set.

alomomomala just never dies. much better wish passer than chansey. unfortunately, scalds do nothing so you really struggle against substitute users. luckily haven't went up against any in my run.

That's funny. I used to use Sniper Kingdra to wreck Suicunes: 252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 343-405 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
I thought the Focus Energy + 3 Attacks Sniper Kingdra was the most common, isn't it?

Sage

That's funny. I used to use Sniper Kingdra to wreck Suicunes: 252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 343-405 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
I thought the Focus Energy + 3 Attacks Sniper Kingdra was the most common, isn't it?
In my experience the hype for Critdra died down a little bit, and in earlier UU metas it was more common.

CoolStoryBrobat

In my experience the hype for Critdra died down a little bit, and in earlier UU metas it was more common.
Did it really? The brief stint I had with Kingdra (and the only time I used it in XY) on my dark horse I was definitely using the scope lens set, with Agility and 2 attacks. It was cool, I did sweep once or twice with it but I thought for sure that'd be its most used set, especially with Haxorus now UU. interesting...

Sage

Did it really? The brief stint I had with Kingdra (and the only time I used it in XY) on my dark horse I was definitely using the scope lens set, with Agility and 2 attacks. It was cool, I did sweep once or twice with it but I thought for sure that'd be its most used set, especially with Haxorus now UU. interesting...
Altogether Kingdra isn't being used much right now. The most common Kingdra I saw was probably mixed Life Orb or Specs. I'm not sure what the item usage stats and moveset usage stats are though. Kingdra has kinda drifted away from the center of the meta game.

I havent seen a critdra in ages. But, it can go mixed with agility, focus energy, waterfall and dm and itll get great coverage with only empoleon walling it. It could make a comeback though especially since blissey is in the tier and gives florges serious competition. Maybe itll be my dark horse next month...

Sage

Hit 1500 with new team. IT's not as good as my old one and won't make B-rank, but I'm glad I got a 4 Dark Horse Team ranked. Overall the team performed decently with some big problems that accounted for my assumption of not being able to ladder higher.

the team: Meloetta, Virizion, Alomomola, Rhyperior, Crobat, Umbreon

Meloetta: Really awesome poke, should be getting more usage. I was rocking an assault vest 4 attacks set, with Dual STABs, Thunderbolt, and Dazzling Gleam. Meloetta has the bulk to take under 50% from a Mega Blastoise Dark Pulse which is really impressive. IT also 2hkoes with T-bolt. It was the glue of this team giving me a great check to Chandelure thanks to the ghost immunity, and just a great pivot in general. Since I've seen people rank theirs, I'd give Meloetta an A-

Virizion: Probably the most underperforming of the group. I was using Swords Dance 3 attacks, but in about 45 games i got 1 sweep with it. It's STABs are very nice, and Virizion was my answer for bulky normals like bliss and lax, along with some waters like Empoleon and Swampert. I think maybe a mixed LO set would be better since Virizion has the speed to sweep but is hardpressed to be able to set up thanks to its low 90 atk before boosting and weak defense stat. It did however put in work with its strong offensive typing. Conclusion is Virizion is viable enough for merit on some teams, but almost always there is a better answer. B-+

Alomomola: Oh boy, Big Luvdisc is so good. First of all its the only Wish-passer with Regenerator, allowing it to heal itself while healing the rest of the team. Secondly, Healing Wish is an amazing move, and allows me to play aggressively with my pokemon in the early game, netting me some key predicts that could have been risky, knowing I can save them late game when Aloma isn't needed anymore. Finally it a great physical wall, just has lacking Special Defense. I ran Wish Protect Healing Wish Toxic, which I know is Taunt bait, but Toxic is key for wearing things down. Final rank, A

Rhyperior: Another underrated Stealth Rock user, Rhyperior hits hard and tanks well. I used classic 3 attacks rhyperior with Stealth Rocks, and 16 atk Adamant. It hards hard enough to beat common sash leads with rock blast like Froslass and Galvantula(Watch out for Giga Drain). Not much to say except that with SpD investment he can take special moves decently and Solid Rock is great for him. Overall, B+

Crobat and Umbreon: Wanted a Special Wall that was cheap budget wise, and helped deal with threats to Aloma. Umbreon got the job done. Foul Play hits hard enough, and Baton Pass is a cool niche it has over other special walls. Crobat patched this team, runnning an odd scarfbat set. This allowed me to run max attack adamant, and still outspeed scarfzam. Brave Bird Spam, U-turn for momentum, ROost on Switches, and defog for emergency hazard removal.

Threat List: INFERNAPE. This thing just demolishes me. If it's Mix nasty plot it can beat 4 of my 6 mons in one shot. Crobat and Meloetta have to check it, but if it sets up a NP it forces me to sac something, go to Crobat, and it can rinse and repeat just not letting bat kill it. Hydreigon with Superpower are also very annoying.

Had a lot of cool matches with the team! Not as competitively viable as my B-rank one in may, but more unique and fun to use. GL to all other DH challengers!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-144366200 Replay proving 1500 (also peak)

Sage

Sage of the 6 use 252 def / 252 spdef bold alomolola. should cover up np ape weaknesses, she is pretty light iirc. tanks sp atks like a beast.
Thanks for the help Bad Ass, will definitely check this spread out, thinking on it Aloma's HP is so high that SpD EVs would be more beneficial. Maybe try and ladder higher now idk, but thanks anyway.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Building on that, my favorite Alomomola spread has been 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Bold. I forget the exact benchmarks it hits but I remember it was definitely important

EDIT: It survives the 2HKO from Scarf Hydreigon's Draco Meteor (no SR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)