Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Hello i'd like to nominate:
Hippopotas for B rank at minimum, as he is an insta counter to pretty much every physical attackers with his insane defense n hp, and he also deals with memento+set up mon with roar. He also isnt completely eviolite dependent, it just makes him better as without evio he can still tank some hits. He also packs a punch with stab EQ, and brings support with SR.
Stunky for b-, this mon is good, really good. He can easily switch into the likes of gastly, abra, and missy(wont lose even if he gets burned, worst case scenario missy lives with around 20% of hp) and pursuit them, he also can finish weakened pokes with a strong sucker punch, and altho he doesnt excels at it he can also use defog, which really helps.
Clamperl for C how many times has been brought up already,,,
Ferroseed for A-, his bulk is insane, he can cripple common switch ins with thunder wave, can recover some hp with leech seed or via wish support(which isnt hard to pull of), and its just a good mon in general.

Amaura for C+ or even less
: It's currently B- and I believe that it's not worthy of that rank along with Pokémon like Corphish, its ability Refrigerate is indeed special and it can run both a special and physical set but its typing is not the best being weak to 6 types (Rock, Steel, Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting) which are all common in the metagame and its two of them (Fighting and Steel) x4 times and they are both two of the most used offensive types in LC aswell as being weak to common priority like Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave.

Where is Rufflet?
: Rufflet has a nice ability in Hustle which raises Attack of a Pokémon with this ability by 50%, but makes its physical moves have 80% of their usual accuracy, it also has decent Attack and Speed stat. It can play a nice role as a scarfer with Aerial Ace (or Brave Bird if the accuracy drop doesn't disturb you), Frustration, Rock Slide, Superpower, Shadow Claw (?), U-Turn.. It also has access to Hone Claws which boosts its Accuracy and Attack but Rufflet's speed makes it slower than some Pokémon like Mienfoo, but it might turn out being really nice in a Sticky Web team. With all of this I believe that is worth of at least a D Rank.

Where is Karrablast?
: Some of you may think I'm joking but I'm not, Karrablast may a be a huge threat if its checks are down, with No Guard it gets a fully accurate high power attack in Megahorn and with coverage attacks like Drill Run, Knock Off, Poison Jab, Pursuit.. it can be a nice scarfer with its 17 attack when it has a neutral nature. It also has access to Swords Dance which boosts its attack into high levels. I believe it's also worthy of being D Rank too at least.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
teddy -> C-
clamperl -> C
karrablast -> D
rufflet -> D
buneary -> C-
cranidos -> B-
cubone -> C-
natu -> C-

these are some changes i just made, errrr

where should Gothita go?

I'd say it's B, for its ability to trap many walls with taunt and coverage of choice. psychic can trap timburr and Gunk so easily for smashers/bunnelby/aipom(can even switch into knock off with evio), energy ball fucks over defensive tirt or chinchou for fletch and many other things, taunt means it easily takes out foongus, calm mind means it can go head to head with spritzee, taunt+hidden power fire for ferroseed, it can remove trubbish, thunderbolt can take out weakened vullaby. you get the idea, customize your gothita for what you want removing and you can offer great support

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would be willing to say B or B-. Scarfed Goth is excellent for trapping fighting pokes, and EvioGoth is an amazing tool for dealing with defensive pokes, with Taunt and a movepool suitable enough for taking out whatever it needs to. My major issue with Gothita though is it can't do either job as well as it wants to. ScarfGoth might not be strong or durable enough to get the job done if it can't OHKO. It can't trap other scarfers unless it switches in on a resisted typing. EvioGoth isn't fast enough and has to deal with VoltTurning issues and prio.

I still like it though.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
A few people used Karrablast for the dark horse project way back when Ashley11 was still alive, and they had really nice things to say about it. Of course, Fletchling wasn't nearly as popular back then, so C- or D would probably be a good place to leave it for now, and further testing could probably help to decide if it's worth moving up.
I don't have much experience with Gothita, but I don't think it should be any higher than Wynaut, who I would imagine performs really similarly, so B- would probably be a nice place for Gothita.
A few proposals of my own -
Foongus for A
Even with the ubiquity of Fletchling, Foongus is a phenomenal pivot, able to effortlessly fit onto a variety of defensive, balanced, and even some offensive teams. Its good defensive typing and access to one of the best defensive abilities available in LC allow it to check a huge number of threats over and over, including Chinchou and Carvanha, and it can be a nuisance once it's in thanks to its status moves. Hidden Power Fighting allows Foongus to win in a 1v1 situation against non-Eviolite Pawniard outside of Iron Head flinches, and a key resistance to Fighting-type attacks makes it a brilliant check to potent threats in Timburr and Mienfoo; this is made even better by how Foongus is able to switch in on these Pokemon repeatedly due to Regenerator. It is able to take the Fighting-types on even when missing its Eviolite, meaning it can act as a pseudo-Knock Off absorber, working especially well with a Mienfoo teammate of its own; the two of them together can take on nearly every common Knock Off user, and because both have Regenerator, can do so throughout the match. Foongus's premier counter, Vullaby, is hardly ever seen, leaving a large number of teams quite Foongus-weak. Fletchling isn't able to switch in on Foongus because Sludge Bomb usually 2HKOs, while Acrobatics does not OHKO, on top of a possible Spore if Sleep Clause isn't activated. Overall, I think Foongus's strengths are notable enough that it is at least able to pull its weight as much as Scraggy or Dwebble, if not more.
Spritzee for A
This one I am much less certain of, but I'll give this a shot anyway. Spritzee has a ton of utility, as we all know, with Wish and sometimes Aromatherapy; it is also a good win condition for defensive teams with Calm Mind, because it still maintains a lot of utility early and mid game. One really nice boon to the Calm Mind set is that it is usually able to OHKO Choice Scarf Pawniard with Moonblast after a layer of Spikes, while Pawniard fails to OHKO in return with Iron Head. Although it doesn't appreciate Knock Off at all, it is still able to usually handle a good number of popular threats without its Eviolite, such as Mienfoo and Scraggy; there is also the option to simply pair Spritzee with Knock Off absorbers, such as the aforementioned Foongus + Mienfoo core. Spritzee is a staple on many bulky fairy+normal cores, a core which is able to check a ridiculous number of top threats in the current metagame due to high statistical bulk of both members, and decent offensive presence for both. Spritzee was at one point frowned upon; this is because its lack of versatility means it really has trouble adapting to unfavourable metagame changes. However, I think that at this point, the metagame has changed so that it favours Spritzee with its statistical bulk and typing, enough to warrant a placement in A.
Magnemite for A+
Another proposal I'm not completely sure about, but I've been having a lot of success with Magnemite recently. Hazards breaking Sturdy were once considered a really big issue that completely held Magnemite back by forcing hazard control support to be used alongside it; said support is still preferable, of course, but with the rising popularity of Endure, Magnemite finds itself often able to still take advantage of Sturdy to check boosted threats as long as its Berry Juice is up, even if it isn't at full health. Magnemite is an excellent safety net, similarly to Focus Sash Abra, but unlike Abra, its numerous resistances and higher statistical bulk allow it to actually switch in on a lot of things. Magnemite's typing in particular allows it to shut down a number of defensive Pokemon, such as Spritzee and Cottonee. Another huge advantage Magnemite has over Abra as a safety net is its ability to utilize Volt Switch, granting its team a great deal of momentum. I find Voltturn to be an extremely potent playstyle right now, and Magnemite is one of the best options available for it due to its aforementioned traits. There's also Scarf Magnemite, which can hit switch-ins hard with Analytic boosted attacks, maintains momentum as well through Volt Switch, and can revenge-kill a lot of Pokemon; more importantly, a lot of the checks to Sturdyjuice Magnemite will be hard-pressed to avoid the 2HKO switching into Analytic Magnemite. Overall, I find Magnemite's ability to consistently pose as a significant threat to almost all team archetypes while functioning effectively with two very different sets is enough to place it in A+.

Rufflet has a nice ability in Hustle which raises Attack of a Pokémon with this ability by 50%, but makes its physical moves have 80% of their usual accuracy, it also has decent Attack and Speed stat. It can play a nice role as a scarfer with Aerial Ace (or Brave Bird if the accuracy drop doesn't disturb you), Frustration, Rock Slide, Superpower, Shadow Claw (?), U-Turn.. It also has access to Hone Claws which boosts its Accuracy and Attack but Rufflet's speed makes it slower than some Pokémon like Mienfoo, but it might turn out being really nice in a Sticky Web team. With all of this I believe that is worth of at least a D Rank.
I thought Rufflet couldn't learn all of those moves, as it's a male-only Pokemon. Aerial Ace and Brave Bird are illegal if that's the case. Anyway, it's a very good 'mon even if its only Flying STAB is Pluck. Its access to Superpower allows it to lure and weaken most Flying-resists and U-turn along with Hustle makes it better than other scarfers in the D-tier (Machop, for starters) I think it deserves C- at least. EDIT: Nvm I forgot Aerial Ace is a TM.

Also, I agree with Magnemite for A+, it is indeed a reliable safety net and Sturdy abuser and it has a usable SpA uninvested which lets it play the role of a bulky attacker that just can't die.

Amaura for C+ or even less
: It's currently B- and I believe that it's not worthy of that rank along with Pokémon like Corphish, its ability Refrigerate is indeed special and it can run both a special and physical set but its typing is not the best being weak to 6 types (Rock, Steel, Water, Grass, Ground, Fighting) which are all common in the metagame and its two of them (Fighting and Steel) x4 times and they are both two of the most used offensive types in LC aswell as being weak to common priority like Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave.

Where is Rufflet?
: Rufflet has a nice ability in Hustle which raises Attack of a Pokémon with this ability by 50%, but makes its physical moves have 80% of their usual accuracy, it also has decent Attack and Speed stat. It can play a nice role as a scarfer with Aerial Ace (or Brave Bird if the accuracy drop doesn't disturb you), Frustration, Rock Slide, Superpower, Shadow Claw (?), U-Turn.. It also has access to Hone Claws which boosts its Accuracy and Attack but Rufflet's speed makes it slower than some Pokémon like Mienfoo, but it might turn out being really nice in a Sticky Web team. With all of this I believe that is worth of at least a D Rank.

Where is Karrablast?
: Some of you may think I'm joking but I'm not, Karrablast may a be a huge threat if its checks are down, with No Guard it gets a fully accurate high power attack in Megahorn and with coverage attacks like Drill Run, Knock Off, Poison Jab, Pursuit.. it can be a nice scarfer with its 17 attack when it has a neutral nature. It also has access to Swords Dance which boosts its attack into high levels. I believe it's also worthy of being D Rank too at least.
I agree wit u Yagura 100%, I've used Scarfed Rufflet with Sheer Force / Hustle one time. (Sheer force one had Rock Slide, Hustle one had Aerial Ace)
and lemme just say it did WORK(Except when it misses). I've also used Scarfed Karrablast with Megahorn, Knock Off, Drill Run and Poison Jab. Also does really good damage.

Okkkk. Now can I just say SHELMET FOR C pls (or even C- or D) Shelmet is WEIRDLY bulky...xD He has 85 defense and 65 special defense with access to Recover. He also has other great support moves (Spikes, Yawn, Encore) and he gets boosting moves like Acid Armor, Curse, and he can use Baton Pass with those moves and pass it to something else. Another thing is that he looks like a steel type but he is actually a bug type?!?! xD this throws people off thinking they can use Fighting or Ground moves which shelmet eats up. He can run a Toxic + Infestation set which is painfully annoying. And if you're specially defensive you can Encore a missy into Nasty Plot or Substitute and wear it down with Toxic + Infestation (and or protect). If you're physically defensive you can tank Mienfoo's Fake Outs, Drain Punches, Knock Offs and even LO HJKs. Shelmet also has some really good abilities in the form of Overcoat and Shell Armor. Overcoat prevents Powder moves and Weather from affecting you. so you can't get sleep powder/stun spored, or get hit by Hail/Sandstorm. Which is very nice. Also Shell Armor prevents it from getting crit. So it's impossible to get a crit on Shelmet unless you're using Frost Breath. Hydration is also a decent ability if you're on a rain team but isn't really worth noting/using. But Shelmet is very bulky and I feel it should get some recognition. :D

236+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelmet: 8-10 (33.3 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+4 236 SpA Misdreavus Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Shelmet: 18-22 (75 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelmet: 7-9 (29.1 - 37.5%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelmet: 14-18 (58.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I checked Shelmet out; it's surprisingly bulky for something that becomes Accelgor. However, a lack of offensive prescence can be a real annoyance, Bug Buzz doesn't hurt badly off 10 Special Attack, but at least it has options aside from Hazard laying, preventing it from being another Pineco. I wouldn't mind seeing it in D Rank for the time being, but I'd love to actually test this guy out.

And I believe Gothita should move out of D Rank. I think it is just a more aggressive yet more risky version of Wynaut.

Seconding Shelmet for C-. Spikes+Yawn is really cool, but being Flying-weak hurts.

On that note, I'd lime to revisit moving Fletchling to S-rank. This was brought up several pages ago and was shot down. Now that the meta is at a more advanced state, I think it should be brought up again, for several reasons:

1. It is one of, if not the, most defining Pokemon in the meta. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The incredible power and utility of a STAB 110 BP Priority Flying attack with no drawbacks is impossible to deny. The Swords Dance set is easily one of the most threatening sweepers in the tier and mandates at least one Flying resist on just about every team. This influence on teambuilding alone, which only Misdreavus can match, shows just how threatening Fletchling is.

2. It is the best momentum grabber in the tier. Fletchling forces switches better than anything else in the tier. Every Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-type, as well as frail sweepers such as Carvanha, is forced to switch out or face a KO. Fletchling can use this to its advantage by using U-Turn instead of Acrobatics, allowing the Fletchling user to switch out to a counter to the opponent's Fletchling switchin and grab a huge amount of momentum. Fletchling does this so much better than comparable Pokemon such as Mienfoo, because of the sheer number of Pokemon that it forces out. This also allows Fletchling to essentially provide its own support by giving its teammates a free switchin to eliminate the Fletchling counter.

3. It can get past all of its "counters". This is the big one. Fletchling having counters was one of the main reasons that it didn't go to S initially. Well guess what? Fletch has no counters. Every single common switchin can be dealt with by Overheat, Hp Grass, or Steel wing, with the sole exception of Eviolite Chinchou. It can even run SD Natural Gift, which can OHKO Chou at +2 with an Apicot Berry.
All calculations are done using an EV spread of 76 HP/196 Atk/12 Def/36 SpA/180 Spe with a Naughty nature, which I believe to be the most effective spread for Fletchling, as well as with Stealth Rock up.

Vs. Pawniard:
36 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

36 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Non-Eviolite variants are always OHKOed after Stealth Rock, while 2 Overheats 2HKO Eviolite variants. The Eviolite variant is one of the better checks, being able to live an Overheat and hit back hard; However, it dies in the process.

Vs. Archen:
196+ Atk Fletchling Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archen: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

196+ Atk Fletchling Steel Wing vs. 156 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Archen: 10-12 (41.6 - 50%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Eviolite is 2HKOed by Steel Wing with Stealth Rock up. Berry Juice can switch in once; however, if Steel Wing gets a high roll, it is KOed. If it lives, Fletchling is forced out. Steel Wing+Acrobatics KOes after Berry Juice is activated however.

Vs. Chinchou:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 76 HP / 68 SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 6-8 (24 - 32%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 10-12 (41.6 - 50%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As I said before, Eviolite Chinchou is the closest thing to a counter we have. +2 Apicot Natural Gift OHKOes however. BJ Chou is 2HKOed by HP grass, but forces Fletchling out due to outspeeding it.

Vs. Tirtouga:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Tirtouga: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 92 HP / 156+ SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

SS Tirt is OHKOed. Evio Tirt can only switch in once, but that requires a bit of explanation. Assuming no max rolls, 2 HP Grasses+2 rounds of Stealth Rock damage leaves Tirt at 1 HP. if you use U-turn on the first switchin, it is KOed by the second HP Grass.

Vs. Magnemite:
40 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 18-22 (94.7 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

OHKOed by Overheat. If you're worried about Endure use Acrobatics then Overheat.

Vs. Omanyte:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Outsped and 2HKOed.

Everything else that could be seen as a switchin is 2HKOed by one of these moves.

As you can see, Fletchling has viable moves for getting around every one of its so-called "counters". This, in combination with its momentum-grabbing ability and strong influence on teambuilding, warrants it being moved to S.

Also, Nosepass should be somewhere on this list. Its a cool bird check (although Steel Wing Fletch 2hkoes), and a slow Volt Switch is always nice. Im thinking C.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Seconding Shelmet for C-. Spikes+Yawn is really cool, but being Flying-weak hurts.

On that note, I'd lime to revisit moving Fletchling to S-rank. This was brought up several pages ago and was shot down. Now that the meta is at a more advanced state, I think it should be brought up again, for several reasons:

1. It is one of, if not the, most defining Pokemon in the meta. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. The incredible power and utility of a STAB 110 BP Priority Flying attack with no drawbacks is impossible to deny. The Swords Dance set is easily one of the most threatening sweepers in the tier and mandates at least one Flying resist on just about every team. This influence on teambuilding alone, which only Misdreavus can match, shows just how threatening Fletchling is.

2. It is the best momentum grabber in the tier. Fletchling forces switches better than anything else in the tier. Every Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-type, as well as frail sweepers such as Carvanha, is forced to switch out or face a KO. Fletchling can use this to its advantage by using U-Turn instead of Acrobatics, allowing the Fletchling user to switch out to a counter to the opponent's Fletchling switchin and grab a huge amount of momentum. Fletchling does this so much better than comparable Pokemon such as Mienfoo, because of the sheer number of Pokemon that it forces out. This also allows Fletchling to essentially provide its own support by giving its teammates a free switchin to eliminate the Fletchling counter.

3. It can get past all of its "counters". This is the big one. Fletchling having counters was one of the main reasons that it didn't go to S initially. Well guess what? Fletch has no counters. Every single common switchin can be dealt with by Overheat, Hp Grass, or Steel wing, with the sole exception of Eviolite Chinchou. It can even run SD Natural Gift, which can OHKO Chou at +2 with an Apicot Berry.
All calculations are done using an EV spread of 76 HP/196 Atk/12 Def/36 SpA/180 Spe with a Naughty nature, which I believe to be the most effective spread for Fletchling, as well as with Stealth Rock up.

Vs. Pawniard:
36 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

36 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Non-Eviolite variants are always OHKOed after Stealth Rock, while 2 Overheats 2HKO Eviolite variants. The Eviolite variant is one of the better checks, being able to live an Overheat and hit back hard; However, it dies in the process.

Vs. Archen:
196+ Atk Fletchling Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archen: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

196+ Atk Fletchling Steel Wing vs. 156 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Archen: 10-12 (41.6 - 50%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Eviolite is 2HKOed by Steel Wing with Stealth Rock up. Berry Juice can switch in once; however, if Steel Wing gets a high roll, it is KOed. If it lives, Fletchling is forced out. Steel Wing+Acrobatics KOes after Berry Juice is activated however.

Vs. Chinchou:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 76 HP / 68 SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 6-8 (24 - 32%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 10-12 (41.6 - 50%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As I said before, Eviolite Chinchou is the closest thing to a counter we have. +2 Apicot Natural Gift OHKOes however. BJ Chou is 2HKOed by HP grass, but forces Fletchling out due to outspeeding it.

Vs. Tirtouga:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Tirtouga: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 92 HP / 156+ SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

SS Tirt is OHKOed. Evio Tirt can only switch in once, but that requires a bit of explanation. Assuming no max rolls, 2 HP Grasses+2 rounds of Stealth Rock damage leaves Tirt at 1 HP. if you use U-turn on the first switchin, it is KOed by the second HP Grass.

Vs. Magnemite:
40 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 18-22 (94.7 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

OHKOed by Overheat. If you're worried about Endure use Acrobatics then Overheat.

Vs. Omanyte:
40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Outsped and 2HKOed.

Everything else that could be seen as a switchin is 2HKOed by one of these moves.

As you can see, Fletchling has viable moves for getting around every one of its so-called "counters". This, in combination with its momentum-grabbing ability and strong influence on teambuilding, warrants it being moved to S.

Also, Nosepass should be somewhere on this list. Its a cool bird check (although Steel Wing Fletch 2hkoes), and a slow Volt Switch is always nice. Im thinking C.
I was actually thinking about Fletch for S based on some of what I said in the metagame thread. It restricts teambuilding and overall play of a match. It's honestly the definition of a late-game sweeper, except it can go off at any point in the game and rip apart a team. Tahu's made enough solid points though. I'm just here to publicly agree.

Fletch for S pls

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
The creativity of the metagame regarding Fletchling has been astonishing. SubSD, Apicot+Natural Gift, Steel Wing, HP Fighting/Water/Grass, and Overheat have all been sets I've seen in the past week or so. It's gotten to the point where having just one Fletchling counter on a team simply won't suffice anymore. I think it completely fits in S-Rank. Its small flaws are absolutely accounted for by its sheer performance as a sweeper and a revenge killer.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
teddy -> C-
clamperl -> C
karrablast -> D
rufflet -> D
buneary -> C-
cranidos -> B-
cubone -> C-
natu -> C-

these are some changes i just made, errrr

where should Gothita go?

I'd say it's B, for its ability to trap many walls with taunt and coverage of choice. psychic can trap timburr and Gunk so easily for smashers/bunnelby/aipom(can even switch into knock off with evio), energy ball fucks over defensive tirt or chinchou for fletch and many other things, taunt means it easily takes out foongus, calm mind means it can go head to head with spritzee, taunt+hidden power fire for ferroseed, it can remove trubbish, thunderbolt can take out weakened vullaby. you get the idea, customize your gothita for what you want removing and you can offer great support

Teddiursa -> C-
this one im iffy on since i've not used it, but i know that QF / Guts + SD = Monster so a move up is nessesary imo.
Clamperl -> C (C- imo)
the one shell smasher who can slightly absorb a knock off for a free speed boost, also it's one of the more hard hitting ones that's item reliant, i rather C- becuase of item reliance.
Karrablast -> D (C- imo)
everyone who has fought my monoblue team knows about my MIGHT HORN, scarf max atk/spe+ with megahorn / drill run / knock off / poison jab is destructive. also you can do band + web support as well as sd + evio / lo. The only down side is that no guard = 100% wow burns :(
Rufflet -> D
absdaddy's obamabird set (scarf max atk/spe+ with aerial ace / uturn / return / shadow claw) is legit af. It cant run much else since gender locked but it's not useless
Buneary -> C-
no need to reiterate wh buneary is awesome (SUPPORT OUT THE ASS + 19 SPEED + BATON PASS)
Cranidos -> B-
2hkoing the teir is it's own reason
Cubone -> C-
see cranidos
Natu -> C-
the only magic bounce user, i think it was fizz who used a LO Natu late game sweeper. Plus set up Natu doesnt care for status, it does care about knock off tho :U

I checked Shelmet out; it's surprisingly bulky for something that becomes Accelgor. However, a lack of offensive prescence can be a real annoyance, Bug Buzz doesn't hurt badly off 10 Special Attack, but at least it has options aside from Hazard laying, preventing it from being another Pineco. I wouldn't mind seeing it in D Rank for the time being, but I'd love to actually test this guy out.

And I believe Gothita should move out of D Rank. I think it is just a more aggressive yet more risky version of Wynaut.
Shelmet is amazing, Acid Armor + Spikes is great enough, i cant use Yawn since i wanna deal with the fighitng mon im dealing with. I can semi beat fletch if it boosts well.................

+6 196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. +6 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelmet: 14-18 (58.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

it's a very uphill battle. . .

Goth move up plzzzz and if you want proof, see my most recent rmt (dat shamelessness)

I agree with above posts bout amaura. Its pretty garbage mon. It stil has like an early meta rank. All of its best targets are gone..Gligar Tangela and Krow. Sure it can like KO Fletch and Archen and stuff, but so can any rock type mon. I think its extremely weak in the current meta. Not to mention it has just about the worst defensive typing. The only thing it has going for it is beating Cottonee..I think Amaura should move down to C/C-.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amaura was actually only moved up to B- recently due to its strong rfgrigerate stab and ability to check stuff like fletchling and zigzagoon.

Anyway changes I'm making for now are
Fletchling -> S
Magnetite -> a+
Shelmet -> c-
Gothita -> b-

I'd probs like to see more discussion on amaura and the other things that Vileman and Corporal Levi brought up

also think that zubat should be moved to E, seriously why would anyone ever use this. And cacnea and anorith should be moved from e to d. Anorith has spin, SD, and swift swim which gives it a decent niche, and cacnea is a strong mixed attacker with decent defensive typing, priority and swords dance

Last edited:
I want to raise shellos up at least one spot. It's a good knock off absorber and has a nice niche as a memento user that doesn't fear pawniard. It fits the definition of B, but honestly doesn't stand at the same level ascurrent B pokemon. This, just going to say C +

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I want to raise shellos up at least one spot. It's a good knock off absorber and has a nice niche as a memento user that doesn't fear pawniard. It fits the definition of B, but honestly doesn't stand at the same level ascurrent B pokemon. This, just going to say C +
I completely support this. Shellos can switch in on Mienfoo and Pawniard quite comfortably and tank Knock Offs and nail them in return with Scalds; Shellos can be a real pain in the arse for physical attackers, especially ones that can't set up. It's bad set up bait for missy, but I'd say it's as good at its job as anything else in C+.

Rowan

The professor?
I'd like to make a few more nominations,

Chikorita E -> D. Yeah Chikorita isn't great but it has enough of a niche to make it D rank imo. Basically I really needed a Ground resist and a Chinchou switch-in that had access to heal bell or aromatherapy. Obviously loads of Grass-types get aromatherapy, but Chikorita is the bulkiest of the bunch with decent 45/65/65 defensive stats, and access to Synthesis, with 236/156+/76 EVs, it becomes a decent physical wall that can easily handle things like Drilbur (even with Poison Jab), avoids the 2hko from bulky Chinchou's Ice Beam. Uses Giga Drain+Synthesis to get health back. Basically it fulfills its small niche well.

Scraggy A -> A-/B+. Scraggy isn't great rn, it's pretty hard to setup and sweep with it due to the prominence of fighting-types, Fairies, and Fletchling. I can't remember the last time I've been swept by a DD scraggy.

Abra A- > A. Abra is powerful as fuck, fantastic wallbreaker, excellent mid/late game sweeper with its speed and all-round check to everything, it's great basically.

Zigzagoon B+ -> A-. It seems to fit the definition of B rank with the fact it needs quite a bit of support to sweep; but the support it needs is much more reliable than the support that other set-up sweepers need, thanks to Diglett, Pursuit trapping from Pawniard and memento available on 3 really common mons. good enough for A- imo.

moved shellos to C+ btw
moved cacnea and anorith to D btw
moved chikorita to D btw
moved zubat to E btw

Last edited:
Reactions: OP

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I agree with all the above, it's pretty on the ball. I don't know enough about Zigzagoon to weigh in. Scraggy is a bunch of fun lower laddering; I used a DD one to get reqs with Cottonee Memento support, but even at +1, it's still easy to stop. A- is good.

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm a bit unsure about Abra to A and Zigzagoon to A-. I just don't feel Abra is that good, A- is the maximum for Abra imo. Zigzagoon is a great sweeper, but it does need a reliable Memento user like Cottonee, while also often needing removal of Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types. Really unsure about Zigzagoon to be honest. When it comes to Scraggy, I completely agree, and it should be either B+ or A-.

Abra is retardedly good now. Knock Off Sash Abra and normal Sash Abra is basically the ultimate counter to all BS, not much setup sweepers can beat it. Given that 5/10 of the top 10 mons used now have access to some kind of setup move (and a lot in the lower area of things). Abra is one of the best safety blankets out there. It's also p important to have safety blankets because we have hit a time in LC where fast=good, and setup tricks like Omanyte+Memento and Sun are starting to be kinda popular. Abra basically got better, so it deserves its rank to be higher.

Okay, this is my first post regarding the viabilty ranks.
All of these notions are in my opinion of course. hopefully some of you guys will agree with me too.
Diglett B+ rank --> A- rank WHY: Diglett is a very fast pokemon. In fact, the fastest LC poke(without a scarf and speed tied with 2 more LC pokes) with a speed of 20. This little mole can do work! It can set up a ziggzagoon sweep with memento or help ant other teammate set up and sweep. Plus,it can break your opponents's momentum with its very good ability arena trap unless u-turn.Diglett is also one of the best revenge killers in LC by trapping your opponent and killing them with a STAB earthquake or hard rock slide. The downside of diglett is its frailty. But, you can give diglett a sash to withstand one hit. Another downside is u need a defogger to keep that sash intact.Other than those downsides, diglett can take down S rankers pawniard and misdreavus without a problem. It may have a problem with mienfoo though(So use a flying type to pair with diglett!!)Diglett can also set up rocks if you're predicting a switch by a flying poke or levitater. ANYWAY, that was a long presentation about diglett :).

Foongus(THE GOD!!!) A- rank --> A or A+ rank WHY: OK, foongus is one of my favorite LC pokes out there.PERIOD.Its stats may look average, but believe me,it's really good.Foongus is a grass/poison type,which is a rly good type in general with the addition of fairy types.Plus,its immune to status conditions such as spore,stun spore,and toxic.with eviolite, foongus is very tanky and on top of that,regenerator, the key to foongus's success.This mushroom could live for days!!!Plus, it learns spore and has amazing coverage for pokes that cant be spored(Except vullaby,so bring a counter for that!!!)Plus, it can wall many pokes such as chinchou,spritzee,diglett,cottonee(i could go on forever!!),but you get the point.It could also have a niche to scarf pawniard with hp fightinge which OHKOs XD.

Darumaka C rank --> B or B+ rank WHY: Darumaka has a really special place in my heart. It was the first poke in my first LC team(so many sweeps haha!)But i got to admit... it's not the perfect LC poke. Humpty Dumpty here has the best attack in the LC tier thanks to its ability HUSTLE which makes its attack raise up to a staggering 27 atk!But the downside is u miss sometimes since each moves' accuracy will be lowered by 0.8x.Choice scarf is the best item for darumaka.Its speed is still great at scarf at 21.The other downside to darumaka is its strongest move is flare blitz and its frailty like diglett. Its better to have a hazard setter like dwebble to make recoil a little less and make pokes that are neutral to fire types OHKO.An upside to darumaka is it has great coverage, U-turn,Flare blitz,rock slide and superpower are all very good moves for darumaka.Overall, darumaka is an outstanding pokemon with a scarf to wield,but its always a little risky to use hustle because of misses.
A choice band is also viable. take a look at this calc and you'll see the power.
Calcs provided by Aerow
196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Flare Blitz vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 22-27 (81.4 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 30-36 (115.3 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Superpower vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Lickitung: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ferroseed B+ rank --> A- or A rank WHY: Ferroseed is annoying. This little spinning spike(WHY CANT LEARN RAPID SPIN :( ) can do more damage to u without hurting you because of its ability iron barbs. Ferroseed can learn t-wave,leech seed,and hazards. Its a very deadly combination. Plus,t-wave , leech seed ,and protect is a deadly set that'll make you tear out your hair! It cripples sweepers such as S-rankers pawniard and misdreavus very effectively and many more threats. The only downside to ferroseed is fighting types and fire types. Since mienfoo is so common, you defintely need a mienfoo check/counter to pair with ferroseed. Also, since fletchling is also very popular, ferroseed is going to get obliterated by an overheat. Other than that, ferroseed is a pokemon that will sap the life out of you. :D

Hopefully u enjoyed this. I will add more pokes later when i think of them.

Last edited:
I would like to nominate Psyduck to at least D rank, just for the small niche it has of beating or revenging all weather inducers and abusers. With a choice scarf, it can easily revenge kill sand sweepers such as Drilbur and Sandshrew, as well as come in and eliminate sun abusers such as Bellsprout, Oddish, and Sunnybeam Ponyta. Although it has a very situational purpose, and isn't really good outside of that, i think it has just enough to land a spot on the viability rankings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)