Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I actually forgot that Meta Knight is yet to be confirmed. Hopefully he will be, I hate seeing veterans go.
Pretty sure Sakurai said he doesn't plan to make many cuts, and I sincerely doubt that Meta Knight, from Sakurai's own Kirby series would be on the chopping block. Not to mention that he's a unique, cool character, from a longstanding and still running series in which he is a significant and popular character.

Meta Knight will probably be in the game. There was a whiteboard picture posted from when development started and he was in the background. All of the characters in the picture were playable in Brawl bar a Mr. Saturn (and all of them bar G&W and Wario have been confirmed so far)... Although it's nowhere near as decisive as saying that "yes he's in the game", it's still a good sign that he'll be in it one way or another. Hopefully he doesn't get nerfed all the way to assist trophy lol
Pretty sure Sakurai said he doesn't plan to make many cuts, and I sincerely doubt that Meta Knight, from Sakurai's own Kirby series would be on the chopping block. Not to mention that he's a unique, cool character, from a longstanding and still running series in which he is a significant and popular character.
www.mynintendonews.com/2013/06/20/sakurai-says-we-dont-have-time-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

Though I do agree that its less likely for us to lose a Kirby rep.

Edits: Fixed up errors, added another quote, made its own post for convenience.

Even though Sakurai's recent patterns don't make anything easier to determine (Not adding Chrom because he would be like Marth and Ike, but adding Lucina who is a Marth clone) I really don't think we will be receiving Ridley. I mean, just look at the size of that shadow.
Actually, Ridley's shadow seems to be about the size of Bowser's, or a large playable character.

Also, about the Chrom and Lucina thing... It would seem that initially, Sakurai was only going to add one Fire Emblem character (which was either going to be Chrom or Robin; he found Robin much more interesting), and he was going to make Lucina an alternate costume for Marth. During development, he apparently wanted to give the Lucina alt some unique properties, such as a slightly different height and a tweaked version of Marth's sword-tip mechanic. Afterwards, he probably realized that he basically made a clone rather than an alternate costume, and decided to make her into a separate character. Lucina is sort of a unique case, one that wasn't really planned but just ended up happening. What's important is that this all happened long after he had decided to add the unique Robin over the boring Chrom. I don't think he's hypocritical by rejecting Chrom and adding in Lucina later due to odd circumstances.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The weird thing about Ridley's current situation is that Sakurai was completely aware of fans wanting him to be playable during Brawl. It seems a little strange to think he'd come back to the series and say "Lots of people want Ridley in the game, but let's keep him out of the roster." The fact that he also hasn't explicitly deconfirmed him is also noteworthy - he'd have probably let us down earlier if Ridley wasn't planned.

I'll enter a state of mourning when he's revealed as a boss, though.

Last edited:
Actually, Ridley's shadow seems to be about the size of Bowser's, or a large playable character.
This is the only thing I cant agree with, if you look at ZSS's shadow, its clearly small. To cast a shadow of that scale he must be absolutly huge, however I wont continue to fight it. Who knows what's going to happen.

Pic of the day. Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

(If you haven't noticed, Pit is wearing his blue outfit.)

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
(I didn't notice other than his swords are blue, since his outfit is otherwise obscured/discolored by the Nosferatu smoke.)

Uprising was most definitely inspired out of what Brawl did bringing Pit back into the spotlight, though. "May" contribute, indeed. I think MK's Mach Tornado was also an original thing at the time and then ported into Super Star Ultra. Not coincidentally, however, Sakurai directed both of those games just as he does the Smash series... I'm not sure other games/franchises not under his direction are taking design decisions directly from Smash.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am relatively certain Meta Knights throws are all abilities from other kirby attacks. I don't play Earthbound either but as I understand it Ness/Lucas don't even use their specials nor does Lucas use the Rope Snake (it's his father iirc). Ike has his Ranger outfit in Brawl but he's a Lord when he has Ragnell sword along with the Aether move. Mario isn't white and red and he uses those fireballs. I could come up with more I'm sure but the point is these characters sometimes rep themselves and their series, Sakurai isn't afraid of being a bit flexible with what they can do.

The Rope Snake is Duster's, and it's held as a key item with the whole regular party in tow including Lucas. Tornado's a stable copy ability since Adventure and Meta Knight's been seen to be a similar species to Kirby only without the Copy ability, so it stands to reason that they have a similar melee fighting style. I think the real creative movesets are what Sakurai created pretty much from scratch for Fox and Captain Falcon.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I agree with the whole creativeness from scratch for Fox and Captain Falcon, but why make Ganondorf an exact clone in Melee and then just change like two moves in Brawl but still have the overall move set of Captain Falcon? I hope if Ganondorf comes back he uses his sword. Or at least they completely change his moveset. There are so many opportunities for Ganondorf, considering how ruthless he is during the final fights in Zelda game. He can utilize his sword with his punches and kicks and get some moves from previous incarnations like Wind Waker Ganondorf. I'd also like to see him use that tennis attack.

I dunno, I just wish he had a bigger impact.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd love to see Ganondorf use the Sword of Sages outside of his taunt. Get ready for the kids complaining about too many sword fighters though...

Sakurai has said multiple times that the reason we hadn't seen certain characters yet was because they simply weren't ready to be shown.

It's likely that some of the characters that they have yet to announce (Ganondorf, Meta Knight, G&W, perhaps Lucas/Falco/Wolf) are just going through large changes and haven't been ready to show yet.

breh

強いだね
Miis banned from random wifi :(

I realize that they're blank canvasses for genitalia, but if they're tournament legal they're going to be a pain in the ass to practice with.

Much like this new stage, they'll definitely be banned. All fighting games with custom characters ban them from tournaments.

I'd like to say the picture is giving us a hint. It seems Rob and/or Peppy would be driving the Great Fox while Slippy and Krystal are in the Arwings, however previous versions would have Fox and Falco in the air if not battling, so I can't really determine.

breh

強いだね
Much like this new stage, they'll definitely be banned. All fighting games with custom characters ban them from tournaments.
I imagine for Smash they could make an exception and just have 9 default miis (1 for every possible combo of height / class, each with enough distinguishing features to make it clear which one you're fighting... maybe have them be Nintendo higher-ups or historical characters or something?), but maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic. As far as I understand, they're like the rest of the characters in that they have one "standard" set and 2 variations, so they're theoretically still ok ?_?

e: ah, that's a shame. welp, fuck the miis I guess :/

Last edited:
While special moves are original, normal attacks aren't. There'd be no way to have Mii's without heavy customization.

Pic of the day. In general, there are completely different stages in the 3DS and Wii U version, but we made Wily Castle and the special boxing ring available for both versions! We didn't forget the Yellow Devil either. There may be some small differences in the stages, such as the 3DS stage appearing to be during daylight hours.

Pic of the day. This is the Tomodachi Life stage that's exclusive to the 3DS version! The front walls of the apartments disappear so you can see the area within when a fighter overlaps with the room. The rooms are randomly placed and selected from among several types. Planting an X Bomb behind a wall might be an effective tactic.

(Comment)

You might run into a Mii living in the room! The Mii characters are taken from the data in your 3DS system, so you could find your friends living in the apartments.

(Double post for clarification between days, a mod can combine if felt necessary)

Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…

(Comment)

The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)