Video Games that Need a Sequel/Prequel

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
One game for which I'd really like a sequel, or even a remake, is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. For one, it has one of the best NES soundtracks, and some tunes are just begging to be orchestrated and/or remixed; additionally, the Japanese Version's OST in totality is something to behold. I also think that the storyline and plot have potential to be developed, since the only character that was consistently seen in succeeding Castlevania entries is Alucard, and I would really like to know a more detailed back-story of characters like Sypha Belnades and Grant. However, the main reason I'd like this game to have a sequel is because, while the Metroidvania games are certainly fun, Classicvania is excellent as well, and there should be more installments in that style (although, Lords of Shadow arguably fits the description to some extent). The format of CVIII in particular is perfect, since the branching paths after each level retain the spirit of non-linearity that the game has adopted since SoTN, while still being a platformer. The only thing that concerns me in the event of a sequel or remake of the game is that the difficulty may be watered down to be more accessible to a new generation of gamers; removing the feeling of utter ecstasy and relief when you finally beat a boss after spending hours upon hours grinding through a level would dramatically lessen the experience. Though, if Konami ever does approach Classicvania again, I think they would recognize that the difficulty needs to be high; Contra 4 is tough as nails, after all.

I just hope the game gets revisited in one way or another because it's one of the few about which I can endlessly gush.

Fun fact: the game was actually slated to be adapted into a movie, but the plan was dropped at some point.

Last edited:
Why has no one said Pokemon Snap 2? :O It would be awesome using either the 3DS or the WiiU :( We already have all the HQ models and things made... Please GF?
As someone who never even played Pokemon Snap and is only tangentially familiar with it, I still agree. It seems to me all the parts are just right there waiting to be assembled.
I'd like to See Pokemon Conquest:2 for sure. It was a great game and totally deserving of a sequel.
That'd be nice too.

I'd also like to see more games in the style of Colosseum and XD.

As much as I would like another Chrono game, the three existing games are all so different, one has to wonder what another one would even look like. What are people asking for here, exactly? ATB is outdated, attack combination mechanics are a dime a dozen, and basically every aspect of Chrono Cross's gameplay has an improved equivalent in other JRPGs. Another thing is I really feel like both Trigger and Cross are more related to their contemporaries than to each other. Roughly speaking, SNES JRPGs are generally shorter, simpler and less serious, while PS1 JRPGs have lots of content, more experimentation with battle mechanics, and really convoluted stories that barely make sense. So would this new game just be another Bravely Default or something? With some weird spacetime shenanigans, maybe? I'm not even really sure where the story can go from here...

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Star Fox/Metroid/F-zero are all deserving of sequels and it seems like only Fox will be getting his due, I don't know what Nintendo has against continuing their sci-fi franchises but the lack of true games recently is just criminal.
Forget a Star Fox sequel, I've always thought a prequel starring James McCloud would be amazing.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Another Paper Mario game is necessary simply because if the series ended on Sticker Star it would completely ruin the legacy.
And it can't be another gimmick either. The only acceptable thing will be a game with a similar formula as the first two in the series.

Another Paper Mario game is necessary simply because if the series ended on Sticker Star it would completely ruin the legacy.
The existence of Sticker Star already pretty clearly indicated that Nintendo had run out of ideas for the series. If they're out of new ideas all they could do is basically remake an earlier one, and why remake an earlier one when the earlier ones already exist and stand up just fine on their own.

Sticker Star can be seen in the same light as Star Wars episodes I-III, latecomers in a new format that while shitty don't detract from the original work.

I'd also like to see more games in the style of Colosseum and XD.
...I love this guy's thinking, those games, especially XD, were the best games I've ever played in my life, no lie. Come on people, put it in some gorgeous 3D graphics and update it to the current gen, but keep the Double Battle theme and start with an Eevee, it just needs to happen.

As much as I would like another Chrono game, the three existing games are all so different, one has to wonder what another one would even look like. What are people asking for here, exactly? ATB is outdated, attack combination mechanics are a dime a dozen, and basically every aspect of Chrono Cross's gameplay has an improved equivalent in other JRPGs. Another thing is I really feel like both Trigger and Cross are more related to their contemporaries than to each other. Roughly speaking, SNES JRPGs are generally shorter, simpler and less serious, while PS1 JRPGs have lots of content, more experimentation with battle mechanics, and really convoluted stories that barely make sense. So would this new game just be another Bravely Default or something? With some weird spacetime shenanigans, maybe? I'm not even really sure where the story can go from here...
because the games lack closure. there are many, many loose ends that we can only conjecture about (for those unaware, check out www.chronocompendium.com) and the community has been begging for years for a cannon wrap-up of the story. i wouldn't even go as far as a whole, full-fledged game, a short book explaining the fall of guardia, the experiment in chronopolis, and what happened to schala, magus, crono and serge would suffice, even if it meant retconning two-thirds of chrono cross (which is admitedly a clusterfuck).

Lacking closure apparently didn't stop the Chrono Compendium from conjuring up a mythos on its own... I don't want a game to plug holes just for the sake of plugging holes, because that doesn't always work out too well. A lot of people at the CC seem to worship Masato Kato, whereas I find his writing rather obnoxious even in stuff like the beginning of Xenogears. I'm not sure I trust any of the Chrono Trigger writers to be able to wrap up loose ends in a way that satisfies the most people instead of creating a rift like Chrono Cross did.

Plus, none of that even addresses my concerns. What constitutes a new Chrono game? Simply trying to wrap up loose ends still leaves a lot of questions open. The series is such that we can't necessarily even agree on what a Chrono game would "feel" like.

Speaking of Xenogears, I know this thread isn't about remakes, but a remake that fixed Disc 2 would be awesome as hell. The troves of story content that didn't make it in were pretty cool and it's a shame that we can only know about them through old magazine scans. Though, they might also have to slim the game down a bit at the same time. Maybe get rid of the long stretches of back-to-back boss fights.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Golden Sun!! The DS game ended in such a cliffhanger... Camelot said they would only considering making a sequel if there was enough support from the playerbase. Last time I checked there was a signature campaign going on but I don't know if it had any success.

And I agree about TWEWY, either a sequel or prequel would be great. I don't have a 3DS but I'd definitely get one if a TWEWY / Golden Sun sequel was released!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
twewy - for reasons stated in topic already

chrono series - because i'm not a faithless codger like capefeather (tbh, they already added a shitton of confusion to the plot with chross, im not sure they could make plot consistency issues much worse, so just give me a game proving guile or norris is ***** and some Frog cameos =])

suikoden - because wtf konami, those games are so much fun, you made 5 full console + various handheld versions already so clearly there is a market...

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i just want another DK64. That was my favourite n64 game and enjoyed it more than super mario 64. Gee I loved Rare.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
oh also, since every pokemon after rb could feasibly be argued to be closer to a remake than a proper sequel, how about a proper sequel to pokemon ^_^
Given that the GSC storyline is a direct continuation of RB's, I would consider that to be a "proper" sequel. Continuing the GSC storyline would be neat, though.

Zero Escape - Virtue's Last reward.
Its the second game in the zero escape series, the first being 999: 9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors. They left the game on a major cliffhanger and have set up the perfect plot for the third game, to the point where the 'true ending' was basically explaining the main problem which you would have to solve in the third game. And a couple months ago we found out that the game didn't sell well enough in Japan, and funding has been cut for the game, so no finale would be produced in the foreseeable future. Which is a shame because that series has the single best storyline(s?) I've ever seen in a video game.

Where's the next Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championships ?
Here and Here

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Pokemon stadium 3 to play mire minigames, and no battle revolution will never be as good as stadiums
Another rayman with rayman 2 the great escape style(if this exist please tell me o_o)
Another mario sunshine, although appsrently it didnt had much success/good rating but i'd like another one

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance

An amazing spectacle fighter whose themes of war and self-determination were never fully explored over the course of the game in my opinion. The game also leaves lots more room for even more badass robots and cyborg ninjas in the future, especially considering war engulfs the world after the events of the game. And of course the one thing everyone wants to see return is the quicktime events in which you get to hack away at enemies at whichever angles you choose :O

Rising 2 has been teased and speculated for a while, most have assumed that Platinum was at least planning it (if not already working on it) by the time Kojima was fired and the entire future of the metal gear franchise became a huge question mark.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rising 2 has been teased and speculated for a while, most have assumed that Platinum was at least planning it (if not already working on it) by the time Kojima was fired and the entire future of the metal gear franchise became a huge question mark.
I don't think this will affect it at all. Rising 1 was already a game taken out of Kojima's hands, and Konami wants to continue Metal Gear without Kojima. Platinum is pretty far ahead of their usual contractors, so dropping them would be asinine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)