Project Victim of the Week

There is the point that if Aegislash goes, then Fire Punch will be sub-optimal (Sub will probably replace it) and this is somewhat a consideration of Medicham counters in the absence of Aegislash. Although Doublade is pretty much the only Pokemon mentioned that Medicham would use Fire Punch against so it doesn't really affect the discussion.
If/when Aegislash goes, I would actually expect to see a lot running Thunderpunch because it slams things like Skarm and Slowbro. Stall breaking sets will definitely need 4 attacks.

If/when Aegislash goes, I would actually expect to see a lot running Thunderpunch because it slams things like Skarm and Slowbro. Stall breaking sets will definitely need 4 attacks.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%)
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 158-186 (47.3 - 55.6%)

Its only real use is slowbro. Now if hitting slowbro is more worth it then sub/fake out really depends on team.

Both moves have merit depending on what you want to hit. Anyways, I think we should stop this discussion because it's not the point of the thread and until Aegi gets banned, it's basically pointless.

I cried reading this... Fire punch is used to hit Aegislash and it's priority is super weak and barely worth using
1. 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 192-228 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Then aegislash hits you up with a shadow ball. Poor mega medicham....

2. With pure power it's priority is quite strong.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 104-123 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I run a weird set with fake out bullet punch which is quite useful. That combo removes mega gardevoir as a threat and makes mega medicham great a revenge killer while still keeping mega med as a wall breaker/ late game sweeper.
I'm not saying that should be the model set because not many people use it but I think mega med should have some priority. It's just my opinion.
Priority is extremely bad on Mega Medicham. It doesn't help it get past its checks and counters and doesn't aid it in doing its job: wall breaking.

However, you're right. It's unrealistic to counter Medicham with something weak to Ice. I'm going to replace Substitute with Ice Punch. Removing Fire Punch and replacing it with a (bad) priority more wouldn't affect anything, so this set (should be final). Sorry Sidnv; to make the set more realistic, your check now doesn't work. Feel free to change it to something that can take advantage or there not being Substitute :)

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
1. 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 192-228 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Then aegislash hits you up with a shadow ball. Poor mega medicham....

2. With pure power it's priority is quite strong.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 104-123 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I run a weird set with fake out bullet punch which is quite useful. That combo removes mega gardevoir as a threat and makes mega medicham great a revenge killer while still keeping mega med as a wall breaker/ late game sweeper.
I'm not saying that should be the model set because not many people use it but I think mega med should have some priority. It's just my opinion.
Any physical attack will look strong when you use it on a Mega Gardevior. Fire Punch 2HKOing Aegi is fine, as you are supposed to hit it on the switch. Lastly, if you are using a Pokemon with 100 speed and no STAB priority as a revenge killer, you're doing it wrong.

Victini isn't a counter and is actually a really shaky check. It can basically only switch into Medicham once since it has no recovery. After that it can only revenge kill and that is actually the purpose it serves here.
Yes, that's why I said CHECK in bold and capital letters. And it's not a shaky one, either. It can switch in on anything Mega Medicham has comfortably (except for HJK, which it still takes with SR down) and OHKO.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 109-129 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO

I'm not sure what the point of your comment is.

Yes, that's why I said CHECK in bold and capital letters. And it's not a shaky one, either. It can switch in on anything Mega Medicham has comfortably (except for HJK, which it still takes with SR down) and OHKO.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 109-129 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO

I'm not sure what the point of your comment is.
I withdraw the comment. It's better as a revenge killer but it does work as a check.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Week 5:
Thanks so much for all of the checks and counters to Mega Medicham! The only bad part of this is having to eliminate some solid entries. So, as always, feel free to PM me if you're wondering why your/a entry wasn't chosen. Again, by recommendation of Lil YoshiXD, and with support from three other members who frequent this thread, the next two victims will be based on Pokemon whose effectiveness in OU is limited by Aegislash. The next of these Pokemon is Mega Gardevoir!

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Mega Gardevoir is a terrifying Pokemon to face if you're running a stall team. It basically runs through every Pokemon commonly on stall, including Chansey. However, it has many checks and counters on offensive teams. It would be great if we could balance offensive and defensive checks and counters, so we don't imply that the only way to beat Mega Gardevoir is by running Hyper Offense. Good luck!

Also, the last good team I made was in April, and I can't revamp its RMT because the team isn't good anymore. So, I'll just do my shoutouts here.

Adrian Marin: Cool approachable guy who knows a lot about stall.
Albacore: We don't know each other that well, but you're always on IRC and always agree with me :).
anundeadboy: Such a great artist. Thanks so much for making the banner for this thread.
CyclicCompound: Really nice guy on IRC. All I remember is you making fun of TRC saying chair, but I'm sure there were other moments. You're also the nicest QC member, so you need to stop worrying if you sound mean :)
Magnemite: Hilarious guy. You're really funny + nice on IRC and help me out on Smogon. It's funny just to post a link on IRC and see your reaction.
Mob Boss: Nice guy who constantly tries to help me make teams. OU is too bad now to use them, but once a couple bans start happening I'm sure we'll be able to come out with something good. Whenever we're both on Showdown you also always watch my battles, which is very cool. PS please make your first post :)
Salemance: I was thinking about putting a Salamence here, but I didn't :) Anyway, you're the go-to person for whenever I need help deciding something. We've never really talked at all, and we should, but you're still a really cool helpful dude.
Seismitoad: You're very helpful whenever I want to know something about OMs. You also gave me a BH team, which I have yet to try out. You also are trying to pull off an Oglemi with your avatars, which is awesome. I'm still gonna try to comment everyday on your page with some alliteration.
The Shellder Smuggler: Really nice guy. We've talked once or twice; we should do it more often. We tried to host a tourney together, but that didn't exactly work out well. Come back :P
TRC: You are from NZ, so you say chair funny and live somewhat close to Hobbiton, which are both really cool. You're funny on IRC, and are overall a cool user. You did unintentionally make me quit Smogon for like a week, but I'm over that :)
unfixable: Nice guy, one of the first ppl I saw and liked here, back when he was a chesnaught.

Lord of the Rings Fans who unfortunately I couldn't really write a sentence for: Aaron's Aron, Quickbobhero, Hulavuta, Kangaaroo, s_aman, WreckDra, Cacturne, Arikado, Blizzardhail, EnerG218, and Mysteria.

And then there's Sapphire., who doesn't know who Gollum or Aragorn are :'(.

Thanks all (not just people I've give a shoutout to) for making Smogon worth it!

Last edited:

Mowtom

Counter

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
(EVs taken from analysis)

Even pre-Mega Evolution, Scizor can switch into anything Gardevior wants to throw at it.

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Scizor: 165-195 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It then OHKOs with Bullet Punch, which I hope I don't need to provide proof for. Even if Gardevior uses Will-o-Wisp (which some do), burned Scizor can set up Swords Dances (WoW means no Taunt), or just 2HKO with B-Punch. Scizor can also use Puruit to catch a Gardevior trying to flee.

Check

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail

Mega Aggron is a decent check being able to only be 2hkoed by double focus blasts from full health if there are no hazards on the field while OHKOing back with Heavy Slam. Ideally its best to come in on Psyshock but after Mega Evolving, Hyper Voice is can be switched in on. As normal Aggron, it can still avoid a 2hko but needs to come into Psyshock as Hyper Voice does around 35-40%.

Check

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Tailwind

Talonflame can switch into any of Gardevoir's moves and OHKO with Brave Bird. It's only a check, however, as it can only safely switch in if Stealth Rocks are not on the field. U-Turn helps with predicted switches to a counter so choice lock doesn't hurt that hard. It isn't the most effective way to deal with Mega Gardevoir and it functions best as a revenge killer, but it is a decent check if nothing else is there.

I'm never gonna get out from under the shadows of that Quagsire am I......

Anyway, im debating predictable route or no, but im leaning towards the no so here goes a fun one I like to mess with.

Counter
Drapion
@Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Sp Def
Ability: Battle Armor
Careful Nature

Knock Off
Poison Jab
Pursuit/Posion Fang
Earthquake

Basically one of the few loud and proud Poison/Dark types. With neutralities to two of Mega Garde's moves and an immunity to the other, Drapion has a healthy amount of ways of switching in to the mighty Mega Ballroom Mon. With the given spread, the mighty Hyper Voice is only a 3HKO with a minimum chance to 2HKO after SR with Drapion ensuring the OHKO after SR itself with the Jab of Pure Poison (Poison Jab).

The Movespread is for mainly utility and or other needs as you see them. Poison Fang allows Drapion a way to fight common walls/tanks it finds itself against by giving a 50% chance to Toxic them, Knock Off being the ever spammable move that it is, and Poison Jab as the main fairy killing tool. Pursuit is slashed first in front off Poison Fang only due to the fact your team may benefit the use of a pursuit trapper, but if you were to use that, use one of the stronger options in TTar or Bisharp please. Drapion serves a one time goal here and is able to do it just well enough.

Counter:

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

With resistance to both of Mega Gardevoir's STABs, Metagross has many ways to switch into Mega Gardevoir. With the given spread and Assault Vest, Hyper Voice is only a 4HKO, while the almighty Focus Miss Blast is only a 3HKO. Metagross itself 1HKOs with Meteor Mash, and 2HKOs with Earthquake and Bullet Punch.

If Gardevoir has any special attack boosts while Metagross is in, it may have a chance. However, even then, it falls easily to Bullet Punch spam.

Metagross:
252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 458-540 (165.3 - 194.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 169-199 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 204-242 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 68-81 (24.5 - 29.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 136-160 (49 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO (If Gardevoir switches)

Gardevoir:
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 90-106 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 124-146 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 33-40 (9 - 10.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+1 232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 185-218 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
I'm never gonna get out from under the shadows of that Quagsire am I......
Would you rather Salamence :P
Anyway, im debating predictable route or no, but im leaning towards the no so here goes a fun one I like to mess with.
Just a psa of sorts, obscure counters are fun to read. They contribute to the thread by not being cookie cutter, and show there are always more ways to beat things than meet the eye. However, for the archive, one of the qualities I'm looking for is viability. So while they may be a perfect counter, if they don't fit in well in OU, they may not get chosen.

These look good so far. However, I think the spread for Scizor should be changed Mowtom, as Gardevoir has a guaranteed 2HKO on it after SR, which isn't good for a counter. Either call it a check, or add some more Special Defense, imo.

Just a psa of sorts, obscure counters are fun to read. They contribute to the thread by not being cookie cutter, and show there are always more ways to beat things than meet the eye. However, for the archive, one of the qualities I'm looking for is viability. So while they may be a perfect counter, if they don't fit in well in OU, they may not get chosen.

These look good so far. However, I think the spread for Scizor should be changed Mowtom, as Gardevoir has a guaranteed 2HKO on it after SR, which isn't good for a counter. Either call it a check, or add some more Special Defense, imo.

Hence why I said, obscure or known, that is the question.

Mowtom

Except Scizor goes first and kills it with a Bullet Punch. Also, Focus Blast will only hit twice in a row 49% of the time. Thirdly, that calc was on a Scizor that has not yet Mega Evolved, so it actually takes less. Lastly, it has reliable recovery, to switch in repeatedly if needed.

Last edited:
Most of Mega Gardevoir's counters are really obscure. Many of its checks are even stranger. Reserving Doublade (it'll be a thing if Aegis gets the boot, additionally, it may be outclassed in most ways, but it actually checks threats like Mega Heracross better.) AV Escavalier and various Jirachi sets also counter this.

Counter:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Pursuit

So here's a really odd set i've been using on my stall teams, and it does very well in a metagame without Aegislash. Doublade easily takes all of Mega Gardevoir's attacks with ease, it's also worth nothing that with Aegislash's absence, Mega Gardevoir will not be using Shadow Ball. Doublade responds with a powerful Gyro Ball, easily destroying Mega Gardevoir. Even if Doublade is burned, it still gets the 2HKO with Gyro Ball. The EV spread grants a Stealth Rock number and minimises burn damage. 252 Spd gives Doublade an absolute massive increase to its Spd, effectively providing a 1.5 increase. 16 Def and an Impish nature give it a decent boost to its defense stat (use 8 EVs more in defense and it's a waste.) Doublade is really bad offensively, so it's best to use it as a stellar counter to common threats that appreciate Aegislash's (possible) absence.

Gardevoir vs Doublade with Spdef EVs:

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 240 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 91-108 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 240 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 70-83 (21.9 - 26%) -- 4.1% chance to 4HKO

Gardevoir vs Doublade without Spdef EVs:

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 134-158 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 103-122 (32.2 - 38.2%) -- 97.3% chance to 3HKO

Doublade:

0 Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (86 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 288-338 (103.5 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 134-158 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Doublade Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 89-105 (32 - 37.7%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO

Why Pursuit?:

0 Atk Doublade Pursuit vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 132-156 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
Hard Check

Jirachi @ Choice Band
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head
- U-turn/Ice Punch
- Fire Punch/Ice Punch

I know Jirachi just got dropped, but this is assuming an aegisless meta where jirachi becomes much more effective
Its biggest counter is removed making jirachi much more effective. Also Pokemon like pinsir and terrakion are less likely to have eq coverage making life easier.

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 126-148 (36.8 - 43.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Jirachi Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 464-548 (166.9 - 197.1%)
Jirachi can ohko mega gard with iron head. Also it is only 3hko in return. Since it outspeeds it it can come in 3 times vs gard.

Jirachi just makes an all around great fairy counter. Its also pretty good check to Bird Spam and dragons. With coverage it can beat its counters.

Calcs vs things that are supposed to beat it:
252 Atk Choice Band Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 408-484 (122.1 - 144.9%)
252 Atk Choice Band Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 292-344 (85.3 - 100.5%)
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 312-368 (91.2 - 107.6%)
252 Atk Choice Band Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 380-448 (111.1 - 130.9%)
252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 270-318 (78.9 - 92.9%)
4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 218-258 (63.7 - 75.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Jirachi Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 194-230 (50.2 - 59.5%)

Iron head for stab hitting fairies
Drain Punch for amazing coverage.
U-turn is good utility.
Fire punch beats steels
Ice Punch for grounds and dragons

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Reserving Victini -- will write up in an hour or so
Hi! Just reminding you about this, since you said one hour, and it's been over 66 :-)
You have till noon EDT to finish it. Otherwise it's up for grabs going to Smog Frog.

Also, I've noticed that I picked a hard threat. Nominations have turned to mostly obscure Pokemon, which isn't necessarily bad. But, just to add more discussion to the thread, I'm allowing you to fill the archive. Tank Aegislash only has one check, Kyurem-B has zero checks, Greninja is missing a check, and Mawile only has one check.

Feel free to nominate checks & counters to these three mons, as well as Gardevoir. I'd say to prioritize Gardevoir, as it's much more important this week, but if you know of a fantastic Aegislash check please share!

**Also for now I'm gonna accept Aegislash as a counter, as the chances of it being banned are slim. But if it does get banned, obviously it won't be picked. I guess it can wait a day or two

Last edited:
Hi! Just reminding you about this, since you said one hour, and it's been over 66 :-)
Yu have till noon EDT to finish it. Otherwise it's up for grabs going to Smog Frog.

Also, I've noticed that I picked a hard threat. Nominations have turned to mostly obscure Pokemon, which isn't necessarily bad. But, just to add more discussion to the thread, I'm allowing you to fill the archive. Tank Aegislash only has one check, Kyurem-B has zero checks, Greninja is missing a check, and Mawile only has one check.

Feel free to nominate checks & counters to these three mons, as well as Gardevoir. I'd say to prioritize Gardevoir, as it's much more important this week, but if you know of a fantastic Aegislash check please share!

**Also for now I'm gonna accept Aegislash as a counter, as the chances of it being banned are slim. But if it does get banned, obviously it won't be picked.
Slim? That debates up for how the vote does turn out bud, not here.

And Mega Gard is just an overall easier Pokemon to check than counter. Some Mons are.

You have till noon EDT to finish it. Otherwise it's up for grabs going to Smog Frog.

**Also for now I'm gonna accept Aegislash as a counter, as the chances of it being banned are slim. But if it does get banned, obviously it won't be picked. I guess it can wait a day or two
If you want us to nominate checks and counters for the old mons, could you put up the sets they are using? I'm pretty certain what the sets are but I'd like to be sure.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak / Toxic / Iron Head / Pursuit / Sacred Sword / Substitute
- Shadow Sneak / Toxic / Iron Head / Pursuit / Sacred Sword / Substitute

This is the best Mega Gardevoir answer in the game. It fears nothing from it whatsoever, taking pitiful damage from even Hyper Voice and easily OHKOes in return with a strong STAB Shadow Ball. It can switch in multiple times per match and threaten it, and is exceedingly difficult to wear down significantly because it has no hazard vulnerability or anything like that. In fact Aegislash beats Mega Gardevoir so well that it's a bit less viable for it.

Check

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Excadrill resists both Mega Gardevoir's STABs, which can only rely on Focus Blast to take it out. With an Assault Vest, Excadrill is only 2HKOed (supposing that Focus Blast doesn't miss) and can hit back with Iron Head.
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 216-256 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not a first choice counter, but still a good check that can support with Rapid Spin

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Are we allowed to nominate more than one check/counter?

I was going to do victini but someone already reserved it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)