Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just beat Heroic Maexxna with the weirdest freeze mage xD

Arcane Missiles x2 (Very eh, could try Farseers for more heals?)
Ice Lance x2
Voodoo Doctor x2 (MVP!!!!)
Arcane Explosion x2
Frostbolt x2
Arcane Intellect x2
Frost Nova x2
Ice Barrier x2
Ice Block x2
Mind Control Tech x2
Cone of Cold x2
Fireball x2
Blizzard x2
Flamestrike x2
Alexstrasza
Pyroblast x1

You cannot beat Maexxna early on board control because of that silly Hero Power but she also automatically uses it every turn. Her early turns are spent on Haunted Creepers so Voodoo Doctors carry the early game. You'll essentially heal 4 every turn. Mind Control Tech cuts away at a lot of his damage midgame, even if he keeps getting pulled back into your hand he's "killing" a creature every time he comes out. Other than that its pretty standard. Freeze board when things look bad, Alex her face then two spells should do it. Don't be afraid to waste some fireballs or frostbolts on things like Sea Giant, after Alex all you need is Pyroblast and a few more points and its done.

Beat her first try with this deck, though it actually took a long time cause my last 5 cards were Frostbolt/Ice Lance/Pyroblast/Fireball/Flamestrike. You could throw in a Coldlight Oracle to speed up the draw into your damage but with all the guys coming back into your hand you may have a problem with overdraw. Plus you kind of want Maexxna to start topdecking so her damage is limited.

Heroic Anub got smashed by standard freeze mage, not even hard. Heroic Widow was beaten pretty handily by standard zoo. Both only took one attempt. Maexxna took two because standard freeze lost way too much health early game.

Last edited:
First set of bosses, easy to breeze through. Did it with spellcaster rogue I made up.

Heroic, bleh. Gave Anub'Rehkhan a shot with my (bad) tempo Rogue I've been playing forever, eww. The extra HP and always going first (so no coin into Ringleader or other easy combos) is bad enough, and then the 4/4 for 3 mana power, broken focker. Don't want to think how much worse Farina's power is (should've lost that in normal mode, thankfully AI is too stupid to spam it). But is there even any rewards for beating them on heroic? Didn't see any chests for goodies.

Just beat Heroic Maexxna with the weirdest freeze mage xD

Arcane Missiles x2 (Very eh, could try Farseers for more heals?)
Ice Lance x2
Voodoo Doctor x2 (MVP!!!!)
Arcane Explosion x2
Frostbolt x2
Arcane Intellect x2
Frost Nova x2
Ice Barrier x2
Ice Block x2
Mind Control Tech x2
Cone of Cold x2
Fireball x2
Blizzard x2
Flamestrike x2
Alexstrasza
Pyroblast x1

You cannot beat Maexxna early on board control because of that silly Hero Power but she also automatically uses it every turn. Her early turns are spent on Haunted Creepers so Voodoo Doctors carry the early game. You'll essentially heal 4 every turn. Mind Control Tech cuts away at a lot of his damage midgame, even if he keeps getting pulled back into your hand he's "killing" a creature every time he comes out. Other than that its pretty standard. Freeze board when things look bad, Alex her face then two spells should do it. Don't be afraid to waste some fireballs or frostbolts on things like Sea Giant, after Alex all you need is Pyroblast and a few more points and its done.

Beat her first try with this deck, though it actually took a long time cause my last 5 cards were Frostbolt/Ice Lance/Pyroblast/Fireball/Flamestrike. You could throw in a Coldlight Oracle to speed up the draw into your damage but with all the guys coming back into your hand you may have a problem with overdraw. Plus you kind of want Maexxna to start topdecking so her damage is limited.

Heroic Anub got smashed by standard freeze mage, not even hard. Heroic Widow was beaten pretty handily by standard zoo. Both only took one attempt. Maexxna took two because standard freeze lost way too much health early game.
i used very similar deck but with azure/MI over mctech/arcane explosion. ended up just bursting her but it was very down to the wire, if i didnt have alex by turn 9 i would have 100% lost.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand the logic of always having the opponent go second. If they were trying to make going 1st and 2nd more equal with the coin, then they are basically admitting that they failed.

/rant

I'm sorry but Faerlina is a big fucking cheat on heroic, if they can play more than 2 copies of a card in addition to their other BS powers, I want to at least be able to play 3 of the same in a deck too. Kill off 1 damn worshiper thinking she has just the 1 out left only for her to drop another >.>

I like a decent challenge, but if the only way they're going to make AIs "harder" is by deliberately breaking the rules in their favor over making the AI better, I'm just gonna go spend my 800 gold on packs for stuff I can actually use, none of the cards are even that super good for rogue anyways and the exclusive is crap.

/end rant

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Beat Maexxna first time (and not first time using the deck but this was my first time playing against her) running Coldlight Backspace Rogue without Mukkla/Golems but running Witch Doctors and Young Brewmaster.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
/rant

I'm sorry but Faerlina is a big fucking cheat on heroic, if they can play more than 2 copies of a card in addition to their other BS powers, I want to at least be able to play 3 of the same in a deck too. Kill off 1 damn worshiper thinking she has just the 1 out left only for her to drop another >.>

I like a decent challenge, but if the only way they're going to make AIs "harder" is by deliberately breaking the rules in their favor over making the AI better, I'm just gonna go spend my 800 gold on packs for stuff I can actually use, none of the cards are even that super good for rogue anyways and the exclusive is crap.

/end rant
If you think that Egg or any of the other neutral cards are underpowered then I'm sorry.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
/rant

/end rant
Are you serious? Faerlina in heroic was the easiest of the three. Why are you even salty about worshippers they suck ass.
Isn't Rogue's exlusive class card a 5/5 4 drop which is like the best 4 drop you can get raw stat wise?

I just Zooed Faerlina to death like most people seem to be, and I beat the other two with freeze mage. The Voodoo Doctors made Maexxna much easier (thanks Joeyboy), but it still took way longer than it should have because I ended up with Alexstraza being the very last card in my deck 3 games in a row, dying to fatigue because I didn't have time to get my combo out. Holy shit, I don't know if I'm just that unlucky or this is something freeze mage has to deal with on a regular basis but that's the kind of stupid shit that stops me from playing those kind of decks in any serious games.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
technically burn mage has enough burn in its deck to not need Alex.

However not relying on the Alex makes matchups incredibly difficult (specifically Druid and Warrior). It's a perfect counter to Miracle and to Zoo, it loses hard to classes that can actually heal unless they use it really poorly.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I just beat Heroic Maexxna with a deck made of all basic cards. F2P Maexxna is possible.

Paladin Deck

Light's Justice x2
Hand of Protection x2
Humility x2
Elven Archer x2
Voodoo Doctor x2
Holy Light x2
Bluegill Warrior x2
Nove Engineer x2
Wolfrider x2
Truesilver Champion x2
Consecration x2
Hammer of Wrath x2
Gnomish Inventor x2
Darkscale Healer x2
Guardian of Kings x2

So your game plan is force her to fill her board with minions who only have one attack. You do this by killing her Haunted Creepers, filling an extra spot with another 1/1 and by using Humility on her big creatures like Sea Giant. Once you've done that you just need to outheal her damage while whittling down her health. Also you need to watch your hand size as you don't want to burn say a Guardian of Kings (needed to help outheal her damage late game) so thats where cards like Hand of Protection and Light's Justice come in, just throw them out they're not needed and are simply there to use willy-nilly. This deck is still not totally fine tuned, for example Elven Archers don't really do a lot and Gnomish Inventor tends to rot in the hand besides maybe being played on one turn.

The point is you can beat her with a totally free deck, I did it on my second try with this deck and the first time I didn't quite have the strategy down and let her play Spectral Knight turn 5.

Lol first post on hearthstone reddit :)

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I suppose you CAN, but using Mind Control Tech is a lot more fun. But yes any form of draw in that deck is counter-intuitive.

I am interested in how people find Heroic Faerlina so easy I guess, whenever I play her, dumb bitch is usually burning a coin t2 to get her worshiper out and pretty much mauling anything I can get out at that point with 3 damage by herself and then using BS stuff like Rampage making her stuff a lot harder to kill and more threatening if I try to set up kills for the next turn. Then of course in subsequent turns playing more worshipers I can't kill because nothing I seem to have can one-shot them.

So I mean, am I just missing something here? It can't just always be horrid luck on my part, so something isn't clicking. I know I don't really have shit with legendaries and stuff, but still. I mean it took many tries just to finally kill Anub'Rehkhan with frost Mage stuff since I finally got a lucky string of freeze cards to finish him off with fireballs courtesy of Antonidas (who I am changing my earlier opinion about, Anyonidas rocks in the end game).

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Well I mean, her hero ability just screams "USE ZOO". And that worked pretty well. I have only yet to beat Anub and I don't have the stuff to play a proper burn mage, but I haven't put a ton of thought into it either. Easy? Nah, Maxxy is easier because her playstyle can be abused. But she's quite feasible.

Meh I finally got a game where she didn't spam worshipers so I was able to eek out a win with tempo rogue; whenever I tried zoo though, sure it took away her ability, but the minions she plays are too strong for the weenies to kill easily, and zerging fell short for me. So meh, I think I'll just chalk up things to the usual bad luck and RNG, as Maexxna is pretty easy.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Downloading....

can I beat the bosses at heroic w/ decks made of mostly basic/expert cards? I'm an f2p guy with a pretty limited collection.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
/rant

/end rant
raped her with control warrior. armoursmith / acolyte of pain make her hero power feed you cards and hp. finish her with alex to the face and whatever (i don't have grom so i just used gorehowl + alex hit).

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Heroic Maexxna was ridiculous but I beat it with a F2P deck (I have no cards for Priest whatsoever). Strategy boiled down to play Earthen Ring Farseer + Earthen Ring Farseer + heal self + pass --> repeat until fatigue. I flooded the Maexnna's board with 1/1s from the spiders and then stabilized ~turn 8 to heal exactly 1 health per turn. (Voodoo doctor helped a lot early game.) After Maexnna took fatigue damage a few times I bursted with charge minions (it took a little luck to get charge minions in the first 8 cards of my hand since everything else got discarded. I took advantage of the fact that Maexnna goes second (hence takes fatigue damage first) TADA! :D

First boss is way too hard - can't beat it ;_; Zoo'd boss number two on first try - pretty easy.

So I just beat Heroic Maexxna with a deck made of all basic cards. F2P Maexxna is possible.

Paladin Deck

Light's Justice x2
Hand of Protection x2
Humility x2
Elven Archer x2
Voodoo Doctor x2
Holy Light x2
Bluegill Warrior x2
Nove Engineer x2
Wolfrider x2
Truesilver Champion x2
Consecration x2
Hammer of Wrath x2
Gnomish Inventor x2
Darkscale Healer x2
Guardian of Kings x2

So your game plan is force her to fill her board with minions who only have one attack. You do this by killing her Haunted Creepers, filling an extra spot with another 1/1 and by using Humility on her big creatures like Sea Giant. Once you've done that you just need to outheal her damage while whittling down her health. Also you need to watch your hand size as you don't want to burn say a Guardian of Kings (needed to help outheal her damage late game) so thats where cards like Hand of Protection and Light's Justice come in, just throw them out they're not needed and are simply there to use willy-nilly. This deck is still not totally fine tuned, for example Elven Archers don't really do a lot and Gnomish Inventor tends to rot in the hand besides maybe being played on one turn.

The point is you can beat her with a totally free deck, I did it on my second try with this deck and the first time I didn't quite have the strategy down and let her play Spectral Knight turn 5.

Lol first post on hearthstone reddit :)
Lol my friend used a similar strategy. He filled her board up with 1/1s and then continually used Alexstraza to get himself back to 15 because Maexxna's AI always bounces first, so that she could never kill him, and then milled her.

But man, if you want to see a slaughter, use Handlock against Faerlina.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Downloading....

can I beat the bosses at heroic w/ decks made of mostly basic/expert cards? I'm an f2p guy with a pretty limited collection.
Beat Maexxna first time (and not first time using the deck but this was my first time playing against her) running Coldlight Backspace Rogue without Mukkla/Golems but running Witch Doctors and Young Brewmaster.

You don't need Leeroy if you don't have him (an alternative is another Knife Juggler or another Ringleader. Point of my deck was to abuse the Rogue's ability to bring minions back to my hand so I could abuse the Battlecry Mechanic on Voodoo Doctor as well as Milling with Coldlight. Once she flooded the board I could use vanish to stall her out even more. The best part of this deck is the Leeroy->Hit Face->Shadowstep->Leeroy->Hit Face->Prep->Vanish so that I would fill her hand up with useless 1/1s and proceed to Coldlight the following turn to Mill/Mana Burn. Defias and Knife Juggler are there to abuse her hero ability. It's a poorman's Backspace rogue since I don't have King Mukkla but it does the job imo.

I'm having a hard time against Anub, because my only good decks are my Midrange Hunter, Miracle Rogue, Zoo, and Trump F2P. The only deck I've gotten remotely close to winning with was my Zoo deck, but it's so hard to deal with the 4/4s that Anub cranks out almost every turn, not too mention the fact that he has those taunt creeps that cockblock you/wipe your board. I don't have a Burn Mage deck or Aggro Pally, so if anyone has any F2P decks that can handle Anub that don't require a lot of dust, I'd appreciate any and all pointers.

Well, with the season coming to the end, I'll post the extremely budget control Paladin deck that I've been running since I opened Tirion. I haven't spent any money on packs so I've been slowly crafting it over the course of the month. It got me up to rank 9.

View attachment 15975
I managed to use this deck to beat Anub'Rekhan first try without modifications, I'm not really sure how it happened, but I didn't even play Tirion, so it can be modified for a free deck pretty effectively, I think. The important factor is mainly the ability to make a giant ass Blood Knight (9/9 or 12/12) because he carries no hard removal and really doesn't address giant minions. Other than that, just keep healing. But yeah, the most important cards to have are Argent Protector, Scarlet Crusader, Blood Knight, Guardian of Kings and other healing, and hope you draw well, Pyromancer + Equality is also really important.

Heroic Maexxna is pretty easy to break because she always bounces first and she always draws and plays spiders first. So, use something like Joeyboy's Healadin, mulligan for Consecration to wipe out her board and leave her with 1/1 spiders, and then keep playing your healing battlecries and slowly chip away, preferably with Aldor Peacekeeper and Humility to keep the board under control if she does clear a spot and play Sea Giant or something. Earthen Ring Farseer, Guardian of Kings, Voodoo Doctor, I think Faerlina is the hardest Heroic because even with Zoo I've been getting shit on.

For those having trouble with Anub'Rekhan, here's the deck I used to beat Anub'Rekhan, basically a modified version of the Freeze Mage decks already suggested by a few people. I'm missing a few cards like a second Blizzard/Doomsayer and no Ice Blocks, yet it took me only 2 or 3 tries to get the victory. I don't think I actually ran Vaporize during the fights, but I edited the deck for Maexxna and I couldn't remember what I used in its place.

I think Sunwalker is probably the most important card after Alexstrasza since it can take out 3 of his Skitter minions by itself. Also, it might just be that I simply had extraordinary luck, but every time I killed his 2/8 Taunter (the one that summons a minion from your deck when it dies) I got a Sunwalker from it, out of 4 or 5 activations. Tazdingo is pretty good too since it can block two Skitters and puts them in range for hero power or Blizzard/Cone of Cold. Argent Commander also tends to take out two Skitters, and also often causes Anub to use his 3 damage aoe spell on just it alone.

If you don't have Alex I strongly recommend dusting whatever you can to get it, it was extremely useful for all three fights for me and is a great card in general. I actually dusted most of my collection just to get it for these fights. Pyroblast is not necessary at all with Alex, so the only thing over Rare you really need is Doomsayer and I'm pretty sure you can win easily enough without it.

Abnub'Rekhan was really easy for me. I just used ramp druid and took my favorable trades with his 4/4s with my early Druid of the Claws/Sunwalkers/Taz'Dingo+hero power/Thalnos Wrath etc. I beat him first try, though had I not have gotten turn two wild growth into turn three innervate/Druid of the Claw, I'm not sure that I would have.

Also, whoever said that Worshippers were a joke: lol
It's a 3 drop 2/4, which is great, that gives the hero what is effectively a never-ending stackable Fiery War Axe, and they get like four of them. Maybe if they had 30 life and you had 45 they'd be a joke but lol. Also really easy to beat that hero with Nerubian Egg zoo. If you get out an early egg and it dies to her hero power, it becomes incredibly easy to stabilize, and it's so easy to dump your hand so make her hero power worthless.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Heroic Maexxna is the most fun because she's the toughest conventionally but also the most abusable, which hopefully means actually having to come up with something fun and unique to win. Personally, I ended up beating her with a crafted Priest that basically ended up being standard Amaz Priest with Mass Dispels and Mind Vision (want those OP cards yo). And then I didn't even need the Mass Dispels as they rotted in hand because Wild Pyromancer pretty much single-handedly beats her. It barely went to fatigue because it takes a while to first control her board than be able to start throwing 3+ things down to stick your own board but the game was won long before that. No Freeze Mage/Alex cheese necessary... for any of them.

Faerlina yeah, Zoo. Only took me two tries because I drew like ass the first time. Heroic Anoob I beat with Ramp Druid because I threw down Turn 5 Ysera and he didn't trade the board into it to kill her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)