OU Mamoswine

QC Checks - Dice / Valentine / Aim
GP Checks - /

Overview
########

While XY brought Mamoswine few boons, it retains its role as an excellent check to some of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Mamoswine's high base 130 Attack, coupled with outstanding Ice- and Ground-type offensive coverage and priority in the form of Ice Shard, allows it to KO dangerous sweepers such as Landorus, Garchomp, and Dragonite, as well as deliver crippling blows to opposing walls. Access to Stealth Rock, the useful Endeavor, and Icicle Spear to defeat other Focus Sash leads also enables Mamoswine to run a unique offensive lead set that can provide enormous early-game momentum while still maintaining its revenge killing capabilities.

However, Mamoswine's poor defenses and weaknesses to common attacking types make it difficult to switch into offensive Pokemon, and its relatively low base Speed means that it will often lose to offensive Pokemon that it cannot defeat with Ice Shard. This is compounded by a significant weakness to many priority attacks, notably Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Aqua Jet. Mamoswine's offensive lead set faces strong competition from other dedicated leads such as Terrakion and Garchomp, and the new Defog mechanics make the guaranteed Stealth Rock from this set less effective.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash
move 4: Freeze-Dry
ability: Thick Fat
item: Life Orb
evs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP
nature: Naive

Moves
========

Mamoswine's movepool is far from expansive, but it has access to everything it needs to be both a strong revenge killer and an excellent wallbreaker. Earthquake is a very powerful STAB move with nice coverage, and Ice Shard provides priority to revenge kill a large number of threats, particularly Dragon-types. Icicle Spear is a crucial secondary STAB option with the ability to break through Focus Sashes and Dragonite's Multiscale. Alternatively, Icicle Crash can be run as a strong, reliable secondary STAB move, boasting a handy 30% flinch chance. Freeze-Dry may seem like an odd choice on a physical attacker, but it provides excellent coverage against bulky Water-types. Physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage, and Gyarados takes massive damage. It also cleanly OHKOes Quagsire, which can be very handy in breaking stall teams, and does heavy damage to Slowbro. Superpower is also viable to smash Ferrothorn and Air Balloon users such as Heatran and Excadrill harder than Mamoswine's STAB moves and cn be used in the last slot.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Heatran, Adamant Gyarados, and Breloom. Outspeeding Breloom is important, as this ensures Mamoswine's Ice Shard will strike before Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. The choice of nature is dependent on the moveset. If Freeze-Dry is used, Naive is ideal, though Naughty is also viable for a bit of a boost in power. Jolly or Adamant should always be chosen on sets without Freeze-Dry. The given EV spread emphasizes Speed and Attack, and the 16 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed by FreezeDry after Stealth Rock damage. Mamoswine without Freeze-Dry should maximize Attack and have the remaining 4 EVs in Defense. As it gives a neutrality to Fire-type attacks and a resistance to Ice-type attacks, Thick Fat is the ability of choice, allowing Mamoswine to survive strong Fire-type attacks such as Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Choice Scarf Heatran's Overheat. A Life Orb is ideal to maximize attacking power while retaining the versatility of switching moves, and subsequently the 29 IVs in HP minimize Life Orb recoil as well as Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

There are very few complexities involved with this Mamoswine set. It should be used to revenge kill opposing sweepers with Ice Shard, as it is difficult to switch in because of its poor defensive typing. For this reason, it is always wise to preserve Mamoswine as much as is prudent during the match. Generally speaking, whenever Mamoswine is not required to use Ice Shard, one should simply use its fantastic coverage to punch holes in the opponents team, as only extremely bulky Pokemon can stomach repeated Life Orb-boosted hits. Keep in mind that Rotom-W should be only targeted with Freeze-Dry on the switch unless it is significantly weakened, while Gyarados must be scouted in order to determine its set before you stay in on it to use Freeze-Dry.

Team Options
========

Mamoswine's vulnerability to strong Water- and Fighting-type attacks makes Mega Venusaur and Latias good partners. In return, Mamoswine can threaten Tyranitar and Heatran. Similarly, Heatran makes a nice teammate, as it can repeatedly switch into Scizor, as well as defeat Skarmory. Mamoswine is generally more suited to offensive teams, as dedicated sweepers appreciate its wallbreaking and revenge killing abilities.

Focus Sash
########
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Icicle Spear / Endeavor
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Earthquake
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

As this set focuses on reliably setting up Stealth Rock, it is the primary move, and with a Focus Sash, Mamoswine is almost certain to set it up. Endeavor makes further use of Focus Sash and effectively turns Mamoswine's poor defensive capabilities into an effective means of crippling an opposing Pokemon. Ice Shard is useful for picking off Pokemon brought down to 1 HP by Endeavor, as well as revenge killing throughout the match. In the last slot, Earthquake is a strong STAB attack that still hits hard despite the lack of a boosting item.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature is used to set up Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, and, importantly, outspeed common leads such as Breloom and Smeargle, as this set is designed as a lead itself. However, Adamant is viable to provide more power to Earthquake and Ice Shard, particularly if using the latter to revenge kill opposing sweepers later in the game. Focus Sash is vital for this set, as it allows for almost guaranteed Stealth Rock and maximizes Endeavor's potential. Icicle Spear helps against breaking Focus Sashes, breaking through Substitutes and for KOing Dragonite after breaking its Multiscale. Thick Fat is the ability of choice to tank powerful Fire- and Ice-type attacks, particularly if its sash is broken.

Usage Tips
========

You should nearly always be using this set as a lead, as setting Stealth Rock is generally its primary focus. Pokemon that bring Mamoswine to low health or to its Focus Sash can be eliminated by using Endeavor followed by Ice Shard. However, it might not always be ideal to set up Stealth Rock on the very first turn. Against some faster leads, Endeavor can be used immediately on an expected attacking move. The opponent will likely realize that Ice Shard is coming and switch. With good play, this can be your opportunity to set up Stealth Rock. Because of situations like this, it is important to avoid mindlessly laying down Stealth Rock on the first turn, especially if you see the likes of Greninja, Rotom-W, and Terrakion as an opposing lead. Also, be wary about sacrificing Mamoswine early in the game, as Ice Shard remains very useful as a revenge killing tool after its Focus Sash has been broken.

Team Options
========

This set is most suited to offensive teams that benefit from reliable Stealth Rock on the opponent's side. Wallbreakers such as Dragonite and sweepers such as Thundurus appreciate both Stealth Rock support and Mamoswine's ability to cripple an opposing Pokemon via Endeavor. Healing Wish and Defog support from Latias is heavily appreciated, ensuring Mamoswine's Focus Sash is kept intact should it not be used as a lead or not consume its Focus Sash right off the bat.

Other Options
########

As far as alternate moves go, Mamoswine's movepool is quite sparse. Stone Edge has good coverage with Earthquake, but is generally inferior to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and Superpower. Mamoswine can also make use of a Choice Band for more immediate power than Life Orb, but being locked into Earthquake is undesirable and easy for the opponent to exploit. Likewise, a Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to act as a dedicated revenge killer; however, it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T and Keldeo, which sport better typing and lock-in options.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Skarmory can switch into any attack relatively easily and set up hazards of its own or remove Stealth Rock with Defog. Defensive Rotom-W can switch into Icicle Crash and Earthquake easily and threaten to spread burns or just KO with Hydro Pump. Similarly, defensive Gyarados can stomach any single physical hit thanks to Intimidate and deal heavy damage with STAB Waterfall. Both of these Pokemon must be wary of Freeze-Dry, though.

**Common Priority**: Scizor and Azumarill resist Ice Shard and can strike back with a super effective Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, respectively. Similarly, Talonflame can pick off a slightly weakened Mamoswine with its faster priority in Brave Bird.

**Faster Pokemon Resistant to Ice-type Attacks**: Generally, any naturally faster Pokemon that can take an Ice Shard and KO in return serve as good checks. Keldeo and Greninja are good examples here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are opposing Sash leads mentioned as a problem esp Smergle when Icicle Spear is a primary slash.
3 hits has chance to KO, 4 is guaranteed. Loom is KOd

252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 279-327 (88.8 - 104.1%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO

One small discrepancy is the nature. If Stealth Rock is the first slash, Niave should be the second nature slash. Also a small personal note, but I would have Freeze Dry as the first slash. So many of Mamo's normal checks and counters are just completely screwed over by Freeze Dry, and Memo has always been rather anti-meta anyway. Now that it can just bust through Waters that used to stop it seems like much more of a utility than Rock setting, which can be done just as well by dozens of other possible teammates (Heatran comes to mind specifically). I'm not QC, but the perks of Freeze Dry outdo Rocks on our favorite mammoth in my view.

You could throw in a mention for non-Mega Gyarados as a teammate for the first set if you're using Freeze Dry. I've always kind of liked the combo since Gyarados really likes for things like Rotom-W, Unaware Quagsire, and even opposing Gyarados to be weakened or KOed so that it'll have an easier time sweeping with Waterfall + Bounce, and Freeze Dry Mamoswine does a pretty solid job of luring them in and weakening or KOing them. They also have decent enough defensive synergy since Gyarados soaks up Fighting-, Steel-, and Water-type attacks aimed at Mamoswine, while Mamoswine can switch into random Electric attacks for Gyarados (although it often has to be careful of certain coverage moves).

Meh, I wouldn't say it has poor defenses either. 110 / 80 / 60 bulk is pretty decent for an offensive Pokemon. It takes physical hits a little better than Keldeo, for example, although its much lower SpD stat does leave it somewhat frail on the special side.

Last edited:
The perks of a poorly invested Freeze Dry do not outweigh the significance of having Stealth Rock active. Stealth Rock is much more important because it nets great residual damage that discourages switching Pokemon. Just like you mentioned how Heatran may set up Stealth Rock better, there are Pokemon who can easily eliminate bulky Water-type Pokemon for Mamoswine.

for the fourth slot I always thought substitute was a decent choice. Mamoswine forces out a lot of things with priority Ice Shard and it gives a buffer against faster switchin's like Keldeo. You also can set up for free sometimes against bisharp willing to Sucker Punch you on a RK

Reactions: AM

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I don't really like stealth rock on Life Orb mamoswine. It is neither fast nor bulky so it usually has to sac itself, or come in midgame to force a switch to get up SR. Needless to say an unreliable SR user that gets in midgame is somewhat sub par.

Why are opposing Sash leads mentioned as a problem esp Smergle when Icicle Spear is a primary slash.
3 hits has chance to KO, 4 is guaranteed. Loom is KOd

252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 279-327 (88.8 - 104.1%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO
was written up before I slashed Icicle Spear so will edit that in.
One small discrepancy is the nature. If Stealth Rock is the first slash, Niave should be the second nature slash. Also a small personal note, but I would have Freeze Dry as the first slash. So many of Mamo's normal checks and counters are just completely screwed over by Freeze Dry, and Memo has always been rather anti-meta anyway. Now that it can just bust through Waters that used to stop it seems like much more of a utility than Rock setting, which can be done just as well by dozens of other possible teammates (Heatran comes to mind specifically). I'm not QC, but the perks of Freeze Dry outdo Rocks on our favorite mammoth in my view.
You are completely right on the nature, but incorrect on the ordering of the last slot. More often than not it will run SR as it's just more effective and reliable. Freeze Dry is really cool, but is deadweight usually and is highly match up reliant while Mamoswine forces a ton of swaps making it easy to set up rocks.
You could throw in a mention for non-Mega Gyarados as a teammate for the first set if you're using Freeze Dry. I've always kind of liked the combo since Gyarados really likes for things like Rotom-W, Unaware Quagsire, and even opposing Gyarados to be weakened or KOed so that it'll have an easier time sweeping with Waterfall + Bounce, and Freeze Dry Mamoswine does a pretty solid job of luring them in and weakening or KOing them. They also have decent enough defensive synergy since Gyarados soaks up Fighting-, Steel-, and Water-type attacks aimed at Mamoswine, while Mamoswine can switch into random Electric attacks for Gyarados (although it often has to be careful of certain coverage moves).

Meh, I wouldn't say it has poor defenses either. 110 / 80 / 60 bulk is pretty decent for an offensive Pokemon. It takes physical hits a little better than Keldeo, for example, although its much lower SpD stat does leave it somewhat frail on the special side.
Agree with you completely on the Gyarados partnering.
for the fourth slot I always thought substitute was a decent choice. Mamoswine forces out a lot of things with priority Ice Shard and it gives a buffer against faster switchin's like Keldeo. You also can set up for free sometimes against bisharp willing to Sucker Punch you on a RK
True as well, but doesn't have quite enough usage nor is it as effective as the other two. I will mention it in the write up though.

ctrl + f thundurus --> no results about mamoswine being a fantastic check to it. be sure to add that.

breloom is a fine partner as mamoswine beats stuff that walls breloom (dragons, thundurus)

nice job

1/3

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mention hw latias under sash partners, also comments on spear like stronger ice stab, goes through loom sash/gliscor sub/dnite multi.

imo - spear as first slash on lo attacker bc of stuff i mentioned above (sash/sub/multi), though that's really minor.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Nog i feel that for lead mamo you can still slash thick fat as oblivious was good with leads like deo d/s running around which are basically the only taunters bar gliscor, who won't stay in on you anyway and sableye, who is not that common. thick fat just being a good option in general for weak hp ices from thundurus who might also be the only other taunter, albeit rare, that i can think of.

Freeze Dry should be slashed first for the ability to beat counters and the Gyarados partnering which is fantastic.

16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 174-211 (44.1 - 53.5%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You should also mention this.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but :
"the 16 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze Dry after Stealth Rock damage"

12 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 143-172 (47.1 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

12 SpA EVs suffice to 2HKO to do that, so the spread should change to 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
user Nog looks basically done, nice job just remove any banned pokes haha and i can give 3/3

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Honestly, freeze dry>rocks.

My view is that, espc. Vs offense, mamo wants to be capable of taking out one mon each time. Mamo has very few strong counters, and offense wants to run very few of them. Except for rotom-w and maybe gyara and megazor. And look what freeze dry does...! And even helps against many of your defensive answers.

Also
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 144-172 (41.9 - 50.1%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(144, 146, 148, 149, 152, 153, 156, 156, 157, 160, 161, 164, 165, 168, 169, 172)

Obv u gotta win roost/bp 50/50 and predict the switch, plus get high rolls. But, it is at least doable. So frz dry officially leaves you with no real off. counters

If you have nothing else for rocks and dont want to use mamos dedicated rocks set which is much better at rocks...use the second slashed rocks, jeez.

Still haven't reversed the nature order i see. Plz do this.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I agree with tehy and also for reasons I expressed a while ago. Mamo is slow, and doesn't have any special defensive traits or merits. That makes it a lot less consistent at throwing down Stealth Rock than typical users of the move for obvious reasons. Consistency is imperative for stealth rock users. A keldeo response to Life Orb rocks mamo lead forfeits momentum instantly, a prediction by the opponent if you try and force their hand with Ice Shard forfeits a chance for SR, no answer to Skarmory. It's just not bulky or fast enough to switch it on a generic neutral hit and get down SR early game, it's not fast or bulky enough to just get that SR down when switch advantage is gained if need be.

It's not terrible, sticking SR on a good mon isn't a bad choice, but there are better users that allow more flexbility in play.

Hallo! Here's an amcheck! ^_^

Additions

Deletions
(Comments)

Overview
########
While XY brought Mamoswine few boons, it retains its role as an excellent check to some of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Mamoswine's high base 130 Attack,(AC) coupled with outstanding Ice + Ground Ice- and Ground-type offensive coverage and priority in the form of Ice Shard allows it to KO dangerous sweepers such as Landorus, Garchomp, and Dragonite, as well as deliver crippling blows to opposing walls. Access to Stealth Rock, the useful Endeavor, and Oblivious ability also enables Mamoswine to run a unique offensive lead set that cannot be Taunted while still maintaining its revenge killing capabilities.

However, Mamoswine's poor defenses and weakness weaknesses to common attacking types make it difficult to switch into offensive Pokemon, and its relatively low base Speed means that it will often lose to offensive Pokemon that it cannot defeat with Ice Shard. This is compounded made worse by a significant weakness to many priority attacks, notably Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Aqua Jet. Mamoswine's offensive lead set faces strong competition from other dedicated leads such as Terrakion and Garchomp, and the new Defog mechanics make the guaranteed Stealth Rock from this set less effective.

However,(AC) despite Despite its flaws, Mamoswine is a formidable force on the field, as its ability to revenge kill prominent threats as well as break through tough walls is second to none. (add this part to the end of the previous paragraph)

Physical Attacker
########
move 3: Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
move 4: Stealth Rock / Freeze Dry
nature: Naive / Jolly

Moves
========
Mamoswine's movepool is far from expansive, but it has access to everything it needs to be both a strong revenge killer and an excellent wallbreaker. Earthquake is a very powerful STAB move with nice coverage, and Ice Shard provides priority to revenge kill a large number of threats, particularly Dragons Dragon-types. Icicle Crash is a strong secondary STAB attack that has amazing neutral coverage with Earthquake, hitting Grass- and Flying-types super effectively, while having a handy 30% flinch chance. Alternatively, Icicle Spear is an interesting option alternative that can break through Substitute and Focus Sash users: Gliscor, Smeargle, and Breloom are relevant examples. It also has the benefit of 100% accuracy, though it is, on average, weaker than Icicle Crash. Freeze Dry may seem like an odd choice on a physical attacker, but it provides excellent coverage against bulky Water-types. Physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage, and Gyarados takes massive damage. It also cleanly OHKOes Quagsire, which can be very handy in breaking stall teams. Superpower is viable to smash Ferrothorn and Air Balloon users such as Heatran and Excadrill harder than Mamoswine's STAB moves and be used in the last slot. Finally, Mamoswine also has access to Knock Off, which with its new mechanics could be useful in the final move slot as well if Freeze Dry or Stealth Rock are not desired.

Set Details
========
A Speed boosting Jolly nature is preferred in order to outrun outspeed offensive Heatran, Adamant Gyarados, and Breloom. Outspeeding Breloom is important, as this ensures Mamoswine's Ice Shard will strike before Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. The choice of nature is dependent on the moveset. If Freeze Dry is used, a Naive nature is ideal, though Naughty is also viable. Jolly or Adamant should always be chosen on sets without Freeze Dry. The given EV spread emphasizes Speed and Attack, and the 16 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze Dry after Stealth Rock damage. Mamoswine without Freeze Dry should maximize Attack and have the remaining 4 EVs in Defense. As it gives a neutrality to Fire-type attacks and a resistance to Ice-type attacks, Thick Fat is the ability of choice, allowing Mamoswine to survive strong Fire-type attacks such as Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Choice Scarf Heatran's Fire Blast. A Life Orb is ideal to maximize attacking power while retaining the versatility of switching moves, and subsequently the 29 IVs in HP minimize Life Orb recoil as well as Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========
There are very few complexities involved with this Mamoswine set. It should be used to revenge kill opposing sweepers with Ice Shard, as it is difficult to switch in by virtue because of its poor defensive typing. For this reason, it is always wise to preserve Mamoswine as much as is prudent during the match. Generally speaking, whenever Mamoswine is not required to use Ice Shard, one should simply use its fantastic coverage to punch holes in the opponents team, as only extremely bulky Pokemon can stomach repeated Life Orb-boosted hits. Keep in mind that Rotom-W should be only targeted with Freeze Dry on the switch unless it is significantly weakened, while Gyarados must be scouted in order to determine its set before you stay in on it to use Freeze Dry.

Team Options
========
Mamoswine's vulnerability to strong Water- and Fighting-type attacks makes Mega Venusaur and Latias good partners. In return, Mamoswine can threaten Tyranitar and Heatran. Similarly, Heatran makes a nice teammate, as it can repeatedly switch into Scizor, as well as defeat Skarmory. Mamoswine is generally more suited to offensive teams, whose as dedicated sweepers appreciate its wallbreaking and revenge killing abilities.

Focus Sash
########
ability: Oblivious

Moves
========
As this set focuses on reliably setting up Stealth Rock, it is the primary move, and with a Focus Sash, Mamoswine is almost certain to set it up. Endeavor makes further use of the Focus Sash and effectively turns Mamoswine's poor defensive capabilities into an effective means of crippling an opposing Pokemon. Ice Shard is useful for picking off Pokemon brought down to 1 HP by Endeavor, as well as revenge killing throughout the match. In the last slot, Earthquake is a strong STAB attack that still hits hard despite the lack of a boosting item.

Set Details
========
A Jolly nature is used to set up Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, and, importantly, outspeed common leads such as Breloom and Smeargle as this set is designed as a lead itself. However, Adamant is viable to provide more power to Earthquake and Ice Shard, particularly if using the latter to revenge kill opposing sweepers late in the game. Focus Sash is vital for this set, as it allows for almost guaranteed Stealth Rock and maximizes Endeavor's potential. Icicle Spear helps against breaking Focus Sashes, breaking through Substitutes and for KO'ing Dragonite after breaking its Multiscale. This set does not need to survive strong Fire-type attacks and would much rather prevent Taunt from opposing leads such as Terrakion or Azelf, making Oblivious the ability of choice.

Usage Tips
========
You should nearly always be using this set as a lead, so setting Stealth Rock is generally the primary focus. Pokemon that bring Mamoswine to low health or to the Focus Sash can be eliminated by using Endeavor followed by priority Ice Shard. However, it might not always be ideal to set up Stealth Rock on the very first turn. Against some faster leads, Endeavor can be used immediately on an expected attacking move. The opponent will likely realize that Ice Shard is coming and switch. With good play, this can be your opportunity to set up Stealth Rock. Because of situations like this, it is important to avoid mindlessly laying down Stealth Rock on the first turn, especially if you see the likes of Greninja, Rotom-W, or Terrakion as an opposing lead. Also, be wary about sacrificing Mamoswine early in the game, as Ice Shard remains very useful as a revenge killing tool after its Focus Sash has been broken.

Team Options
========
This set is most suited to offensive teams that benefit from reliable Stealth Rock on the opponent's side. Wallbreakers such as Dragonite and sweepers such as Thundurus appreciate both Stealth Rock support and Mamoswine's ability to cripple an opposing Pokemon via Endeavor. As the set is a dedicated lead, it might have problems with opposing Focus Sash leads, especially Smeargle and Breloom. As such, Espeon is a good partner to make Smeargle think twice about using Spore or entry hazards of its own.

Other Options
########
As far as alternate moves go, Mamoswine's movepool is quite sparse. Stone Edge has good synergy with Earthquake, but is generally inferior to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and Superpower. Mamoswine can also make use of a Choice Band for more immediate power than Life Orb, but being locked into Earthquake is undesirable and easy for the opponent to exploit. Likewise, a Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to act as a dedicated revenge killer; however, it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp, which sports better typing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Skarmory can switch into any attack relatively easily and set up hazards of its own or remove Stealth Rock with Defog. Defensive Rotom-W can switch into Icicle Crash and Earthquake easily and threaten to spread burns or just KO with Hydro Pump. Similarly, defensive Gyarados can stomach any single physical hit thanks to Intimidate and deal heavy damage with STAB Waterfall. Both of these Pokemon must be wary of Freeze Dry, though.

**Common Priority**: Scizor and Azumarill resist Ice Shard and can strike back with a super effective Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, respectively. Similarly, Talonflame can pick off a slightly weakened Mamoswine with its faster priority in Brave Bird.

**Faster Pokemon Resistant to Ice-type Attacks**: Generally, any naturally faster Pokemon that can take an Ice Shard and KO in return serve as good checks. Keldeo and Greninja are good examples here.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hallo! Here's an amcheck! ^_^
Additions
Deletions
(Comments)

Overview
########
While XY brought Mamoswine few boons, it retains its role as an excellent check to some of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Mamoswine's high base 130 Attack,(AC) coupled with outstanding Ice + Ground Ice- and Ground-type offensive coverage and priority in the form of Ice Shard allows it to KO dangerous sweepers such as Landorus, Garchomp, and Dragonite, as well as deliver crippling blows to opposing walls. Access to Stealth Rock, the useful Endeavor, and Oblivious ability also enables Mamoswine to run a unique offensive lead set that cannot be Taunted while still maintaining its revenge killing capabilities.

However, Mamoswine's poor defenses and weakness weaknesses to common attacking types make it difficult to switch into offensive Pokemon, and its relatively low base Speed means that it will often lose to offensive Pokemon that it cannot defeat with Ice Shard. This is compounded made worse by a significant weakness to many priority attacks, notably Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Aqua Jet. Mamoswine's offensive lead set faces strong competition from other dedicated leads such as Terrakion and Garchomp, and the new Defog mechanics make the guaranteed Stealth Rock from this set less effective.

However,(AC) despite Despite its flaws, Mamoswine is a formidable force on the field, as its ability to revenge kill prominent threats as well as break through tough walls is second to none. (add this part to the end of the previous paragraph)

Physical Attacker
########
move 3: Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
move 4: Stealth Rock / Freeze Dry
nature: Naive / Jolly

Moves
========
Mamoswine's movepool is far from expansive, but it has access to everything it needs to be both a strong revenge killer and an excellent wallbreaker. Earthquake is a very powerful STAB move with nice coverage, and Ice Shard provides priority to revenge kill a large number of threats, particularly Dragons Dragon-types. Icicle Crash is a strong secondary STAB attack that has amazing neutral coverage with Earthquake, hitting Grass- and Flying-types super effectively, while having a handy 30% flinch chance. Alternatively, Icicle Spear is an interesting option alternative that can break through Substitute and Focus Sash users: Gliscor, Smeargle, and Breloom are relevant examples. It also has the benefit of 100% accuracy, though it is, on average, weaker than Icicle Crash. Freeze Dry may seem like an odd choice on a physical attacker, but it provides excellent coverage against bulky Water-types. Physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage, and Gyarados takes massive damage. It also cleanly OHKOes Quagsire, which can be very handy in breaking stall teams. Superpower is viable to smash Ferrothorn and Air Balloon users such as Heatran and Excadrill harder than Mamoswine's STAB moves and be used in the last slot. Finally, Mamoswine also has access to Knock Off, which with its new mechanics could be useful in the final move slot as well if Freeze Dry or Stealth Rock are not desired.

Set Details
========
A Speed boosting Jolly nature is preferred in order to outrun outspeed offensive Heatran, Adamant Gyarados, and Breloom. Outspeeding Breloom is important, as this ensures Mamoswine's Ice Shard will strike before Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. The choice of nature is dependent on the moveset. If Freeze Dry is used, a Naive nature is ideal, though Naughty is also viable. Jolly or Adamant should always be chosen on sets without Freeze Dry. The given EV spread emphasizes Speed and Attack, and the 16 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze Dry after Stealth Rock damage. Mamoswine without Freeze Dry should maximize Attack and have the remaining 4 EVs in Defense. As it gives a neutrality to Fire-type attacks and a resistance to Ice-type attacks, Thick Fat is the ability of choice, allowing Mamoswine to survive strong Fire-type attacks such as Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Choice Scarf Heatran's Fire Blast. A Life Orb is ideal to maximize attacking power while retaining the versatility of switching moves, and subsequently the 29 IVs in HP minimize Life Orb recoil as well as Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========
There are very few complexities involved with this Mamoswine set. It should be used to revenge kill opposing sweepers with Ice Shard, as it is difficult to switch in by virtue because of its poor defensive typing. For this reason, it is always wise to preserve Mamoswine as much as is prudent during the match. Generally speaking, whenever Mamoswine is not required to use Ice Shard, one should simply use its fantastic coverage to punch holes in the opponents team, as only extremely bulky Pokemon can stomach repeated Life Orb-boosted hits. Keep in mind that Rotom-W should be only targeted with Freeze Dry on the switch unless it is significantly weakened, while Gyarados must be scouted in order to determine its set before you stay in on it to use Freeze Dry.

Team Options
========
Mamoswine's vulnerability to strong Water- and Fighting-type attacks makes Mega Venusaur and Latias good partners. In return, Mamoswine can threaten Tyranitar and Heatran. Similarly, Heatran makes a nice teammate, as it can repeatedly switch into Scizor, as well as defeat Skarmory. Mamoswine is generally more suited to offensive teams, whose as dedicated sweepers appreciate its wallbreaking and revenge killing abilities.

Focus Sash
########
ability: Oblivious

Moves
========
As this set focuses on reliably setting up Stealth Rock, it is the primary move, and with a Focus Sash, Mamoswine is almost certain to set it up. Endeavor makes further use of the Focus Sash and effectively turns Mamoswine's poor defensive capabilities into an effective means of crippling an opposing Pokemon. Ice Shard is useful for picking off Pokemon brought down to 1 HP by Endeavor, as well as revenge killing throughout the match. In the last slot, Earthquake is a strong STAB attack that still hits hard despite the lack of a boosting item.

Set Details
========
A Jolly nature is used to set up Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, and, importantly, outspeed common leads such as Breloom and Smeargle as this set is designed as a lead itself. However, Adamant is viable to provide more power to Earthquake and Ice Shard, particularly if using the latter to revenge kill opposing sweepers late in the game. Focus Sash is vital for this set, as it allows for almost guaranteed Stealth Rock and maximizes Endeavor's potential. Icicle Spear helps against breaking Focus Sashes, breaking through Substitutes and for KO'ing Dragonite after breaking its Multiscale. This set does not need to survive strong Fire-type attacks and would much rather prevent Taunt from opposing leads such as Terrakion or Azelf, making Oblivious the ability of choice.

Usage Tips
========
You should nearly always be using this set as a lead, so setting Stealth Rock is generally the primary focus. Pokemon that bring Mamoswine to low health or to the Focus Sash can be eliminated by using Endeavor followed by priority Ice Shard. However, it might not always be ideal to set up Stealth Rock on the very first turn. Against some faster leads, Endeavor can be used immediately on an expected attacking move. The opponent will likely realize that Ice Shard is coming and switch. With good play, this can be your opportunity to set up Stealth Rock. Because of situations like this, it is important to avoid mindlessly laying down Stealth Rock on the first turn, especially if you see the likes of Greninja, Rotom-W, or Terrakion as an opposing lead. Also, be wary about sacrificing Mamoswine early in the game, as Ice Shard remains very useful as a revenge killing tool after its Focus Sash has been broken.

Team Options
========
This set is most suited to offensive teams that benefit from reliable Stealth Rock on the opponent's side. Wallbreakers such as Dragonite and sweepers such as Thundurus appreciate both Stealth Rock support and Mamoswine's ability to cripple an opposing Pokemon via Endeavor. As the set is a dedicated lead, it might have problems with opposing Focus Sash leads, especially Smeargle and Breloom. As such, Espeon is a good partner to make Smeargle think twice about using Spore or entry hazards of its own.

Other Options
########
As far as alternate moves go, Mamoswine's movepool is quite sparse. Stone Edge has good synergy with Earthquake, but is generally inferior to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and Superpower. Mamoswine can also make use of a Choice Band for more immediate power than Life Orb, but being locked into Earthquake is undesirable and easy for the opponent to exploit. Likewise, a Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to act as a dedicated revenge killer; however, it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp, which sports better typing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Skarmory can switch into any attack relatively easily and set up hazards of its own or remove Stealth Rock with Defog. Defensive Rotom-W can switch into Icicle Crash and Earthquake easily and threaten to spread burns or just KO with Hydro Pump. Similarly, defensive Gyarados can stomach any single physical hit thanks to Intimidate and deal heavy damage with STAB Waterfall. Both of these Pokemon must be wary of Freeze Dry, though.

We went over this on IRC. This check is solid; please implement it. :)

Very well written. ♥

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i implemented the check for nog because he's dead tho at Emilyne for the future two things..
Overview said:
This is compounded made worse by a significant weakness to many priority attacks,
compounded is a perfectly fine word to use in this case

definition: to make (something, such as an error or problem) worse : to add to (something bad)
Set 1 Moves said:
Alternatively, Icicle Spear is an interesting option alternative that can break through Substitute and Focus Sash users
'alternatively' and 'alternative' are ultra redundant, would reword this to something like 'Alternatively Icicle Spear can be used to break through...'

gp 2 please!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
ok Jukain i did it, there are still some small qc-related things going on in here though
remove
add (Capitalize)
(comments)

QC Checks - Dice / Valentine / Aim
GP Checks - /

Overview
########

While XY brought Mamoswine few boons, it retains its role as an excellent check to some of the most threatening Pokemon in OU. Mamoswine's high base 130 Attack, coupled with outstanding Ice- and Ground-type offensive coverage and priority in the form of Ice Shard, (AC) allows it to KO dangerous sweepers such as Landorus, Garchomp, and Dragonite, as well as deliver crippling blows to opposing walls. Access to Stealth Rock, the useful Endeavor, and Icicle Spear to defeat other Focus Sash leads also enables Mamoswine to run a unique offensive lead set that can provide enormous early-game momentum while still maintaining its revenge killing capabilities.

However, Mamoswine's poor defenses and weaknesses to common attacking types make it difficult to switch into offensive Pokemon, and its relatively low base Speed means that it will often lose to offensive Pokemon that it cannot defeat with Ice Shard. This is compounded by a significant weakness to many priority attacks, notably Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Aqua Jet. Mamoswine's offensive lead set faces strong competition from other dedicated leads such as Terrakion and Garchomp, and the new Defog mechanics make the guaranteed Stealth Rock from this set less effective.

However, despite its flaws, Mamoswine is a formidable force on the field, as its ability to revenge kill prominent threats as well as break through tough walls is second to none. (the typical fluffy closure sentence)

Physical Attacker
########
move 3: Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash
move 4: Freeze-Dry
nature: Naive / Jolly (I assume this has to be removed, considering Freeze-Dry is now a lone slash)

Moves
========

Mamoswine's movepool is far from expansive, but it has access to everything it needs to be both a strong revenge killer and an excellent wallbreaker. Earthquake is a very powerful STAB move with nice coverage, and Ice Shard provides priority to revenge kill a large number of threats, particularly Dragon-types. Icicle Spear is a crucial secondary STAB option with the ability to break through Focus Sashes users (wording consistency) and Dragonite's Multiscale. Alternatively, Icicle Crash can be run as a strong, reliable secondary STAB move, boasting a handy 30% flinch chance. Freeze-Dry may seem like an odd choice on a physical attacker, but it provides excellent coverage against bulky Water-types. Physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage, and Gyarados takes massive damage. It also cleanly OHKOes Quagsire, which can be very handy in breaking stall teams, and does heavy damage to Slowbro. Superpower is also viable to smash Ferrothorn and Air Balloon users such as Heatran and Excadrill harder than Mamoswine's STAB moves and can be used in the last slot.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Heatran, Adamant Gyarados, and Breloom. Outspeeding Breloom is important, as this ensures Mamoswine's Ice Shard will strike before Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. The choice of nature is dependent on the moveset. If Freeze-Dry is used, Naive is ideal, though Naughty is also viable. Jolly or Adamant should always be chosen on sets without Freeze-Dry. The given EV spread emphasizes Speed and Attack, and the 16 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that physically defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry (add dash) after Stealth Rock damage. Mamoswine without Freeze-Dry should maximize Attack and have the remaining 4 EVs in Defense. (seeing as Freeze-Dry is a lone slash now I'm not sure if I should keep these sentences; I've left them in because alternate options are mentioned in the previous section, even though they aren't slashed) As it gives a neutrality to Fire-type attacks and a resistance to Ice-type attacks, Thick Fat is the ability of choice, allowing Mamoswine to survive strong Fire-type attacks such as Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz and Choice Scarf Heatran's Overheat. A Life Orb is ideal to maximize attacking power while retaining the versatility of switching moves, and subsequently the 29 IVs in HP minimize Life Orb recoil as well as Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

There are very few complexities involved with this Mamoswine set. It should be used to revenge kill opposing sweepers with Ice Shard, as it is difficult to switch in because of its poor defensive typing. For this reason, it is always wise to preserve Mamoswine as much as is prudent during the match. Generally speaking, whenever Mamoswine is not required to use Ice Shard, one should simply use its fantastic coverage to punch holes in the opponents team, as only extremely bulky Pokemon can stomach repeated Life Orb-boosted hits. Keep in mind that Rotom-W should be only targeted with Freeze-Dry (add dash) on the switch unless it is significantly weakened, while Gyarados must be scouted in order to determine its set before you stay in on it to use Freeze-Dry (add dash).

Team Options
========

Mamoswine's vulnerability to strong Water- and Fighting-type attacks makes Mega Venusaur and Latias good partners. In return, Mamoswine can threaten Tyranitar and Heatran. Similarly, Heatran makes a nice teammate, as it can repeatedly switch into Scizor, as well as defeat Skarmory. Mamoswine is generally more suited to offensive teams, as dedicated sweepers appreciate its wallbreaking and revenge killing abilities.

Focus Sash
########

Moves
========

As this set focuses on reliably setting up Stealth Rock, it is the primary move, and with a Focus Sash, Mamoswine is almost certain to set it up. Endeavor makes further use of Focus Sash and effectively turns Mamoswine's poor defensive capabilities into an effective means of crippling an opposing Pokemon. Ice Shard is useful for picking off Pokemon brought down to 1 HP by Endeavor, as well as revenge killing throughout the match. In the last slot, Earthquake is a strong STAB attack that still hits hard despite the lack of a boosting item.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature is used to set up Stealth Rock as quickly as possible, and, importantly, outspeed common leads such as Breloom and Smeargle, (AC) as this set is designed as a lead itself. However, Adamant is viable to provide more power to Earthquake and Ice Shard, particularly if using the latter to revenge kill opposing sweepers later in the game. Focus Sash is vital for this set, as it allows for almost guaranteed Stealth Rock and maximizes Endeavor's potential. Icicle Spear helps against breaking breaks Focus Sashes, breaking through and Substitutes, (AC) and for while also KOing Dragonite after breaking its Multiscale (not really clear what was going on in this sentence but I think this covers it). Thick Fat is the ability of choice to tank powerful Fire- and Ice-type attacks, particularly if its Mamoswine's Focus Sash is broken.

Usage Tips
========

You should nearly always be using this set as a lead, so as (cause, not consequence) setting Stealth Rock is generally the its primary focus. Pokemon that bring Mamoswine to low health or to the its Focus Sash can be eliminated by using Endeavor followed by priority (redundant) Ice Shard. However, it might not always be ideal to set up Stealth Rock on the very first turn. Against some faster leads, Endeavor can be used immediately on an expected attacking move. The opponent will likely realize that Ice Shard is coming and switch. With good play, this can be your opportunity to set up Stealth Rock. Because of situations like this, it is important to avoid mindlessly laying down Stealth Rock on the first turn, especially if you see the likes of Greninja, Rotom-W, or and Terrakion as an opposing lead. Also, be wary about sacrificing Mamoswine early in the game, as Ice Shard remains very useful as a revenge killing tool after its Focus Sash has been broken.

Team Options
========

This set is most suited to offensive teams that benefit from reliable Stealth Rock on the opponent's side. Wallbreakers such as Dragonite and sweepers such as Thundurus appreciate both Stealth Rock support and Mamoswine's ability to cripple an opposing Pokemon via Endeavor. As the set is a dedicated lead, it might have problems with opposing Focus Sash leads, especially Smeargle and Breloom (this statement is a tad strange because Icicle Spear is now a main slash, and it still stems from the original analysis when it wasn't slashed. as such, i'm tempted to remove this sentence and the following, but two sentences of team options is kinda bare and it's more of a QC thing anyway). As such, Espeon is a good partner to make Smeargle think twice about using Spore or laying entry hazards of its own.

Other Options
########

As far as alternate moves go, Mamoswine's movepool is quite sparse. Stone Edge has good synergy coverage with Earthquake, but it is generally inferior to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and Superpower. Mamoswine can also make use of a Choice Band for more immediate power than Life Orb, but being locked into Earthquake is undesirable and easy for the opponent to exploit. Likewise, a Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to act as a dedicated revenge killer; however, it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp, which sports better typing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Skarmory can switch into any attack relatively easily and set up hazards of its own or remove Stealth Rock with Defog. Defensive Rotom-W can switch into Icicle Crash and Earthquake easily and threaten to spread burns or just KO with Hydro Pump. Similarly, defensive Gyarados can stomach any single physical hit thanks to Intimidate and deal heavy damage with STAB Waterfall. Both of these Pokemon must be wary of Freeze-Dry (add dash), though.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)