The Best VGMs - List

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
Im not sure if they were mentioned but Crush 40 just does an amazing job delivering some of the best most iconic Sonic Songs of all time Live and Learn, City Escape, All Hail Shadow, With Me, Sonic Hero's is also a very good song, just nothing but good hard rock, its got some edge, it makes you want to get into the game, literally City Escape is one of the best songs to an intro stage, It just has such a carefree vibe to it, it makes you feel really excited and gets you pumped up. I think the reason why these songs work so well with the Sonic Franchise is because of the nature of the videogames, its all about speed and adventure, and I think the music really fits, it just makes you have a good time in a sense.

Also throwing in Kingdom Hearts II for the PS2: "Fight to the Death" I completely forgot about this track, by far one of the best battle themes, its got a daunting vibe to it, and as the title implies it truly is a a fight to the death, the piano rifts and then the violins work amazing, its a masterpiece to listen to, I get goosebumps everytime listening to such an amazing song, its one of the best in the series. It gets you pumped up for whatever is going on. It definitely sets the tone of a battle and gives you those emotions of determination, and resiliency.

Apologies that my passion is leaking, I'll be sure to tie it up haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
3 pages and not a mention of wind scene or people imprisoned by destiny, what the fuck people?
Be my guest good sir ;)

EDIT : HOLY SHIT YEEEA ADVANCE WAR (imma add more of them because they're just awesome), and weird that ghost trick hasn't be brought up before
EDIT² : you forgot kanbei's theme :@ + grimm + sami + omfg I forgot how incredibly good they all were actually
short & catchy songs like ADV wars ones have always been so cool, I could pause the battle for hours just to listen Sensei's theme :3

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Alright, I have my stuff ready to go as I promised:

Gameboy Advance

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Preparing for Travel
Battle
Last Battle

DS

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Sasha's Theme
Super Power
Tag Power (that feel when you have Eagle+Sami use their tag power)

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Lin's Theme
Gage's Theme
Tabitha's Theme

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Main Theme
Strong Enemy

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Main Theme
Detective Jowd ~ A Captive of Fate
The Last Desperate Struggle

Please note that although I could list the whole track for Ghost Trick as "Best VGM" I choose not to because these 3 are literally cream of the crop when it comes to the story as well as flavor and feeling to the game. Yes, I enjoyed all the other tracks as well but I feel these in particular stand out.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Main Battle Theme
Boss Battle Theme
Older Shroob Battle

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton's Theme

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Main Theme

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Theme of the Last Time Travel

3DS

Bravely Default
I am not even going to list the whole OST, just listen to it yourself. It's amazing:
Bravely Default OST

If I were to list MY favorites:
Land of Beginnings
Love's Vagrant
You are My Hope
Baby Bird
Land of Immortality

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Confession
Clarification
Blue Bird Lamentation (chills every time I hear this song)

Once again, choosing my top 3 of the game. There are quite a few great tracks in this game (albeit it isn't cluttered with as many catchy tunes like in Ghost Trick), but these were the best.

PS2/PC

Civilzation IV
Opening Menu

Lego Soccer Mania
Main Menu

Because who the fuck didn't like Lego Soccer Mania?

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Holy shit, I could link so much stuff here. Excellent thread Reymedy, but you're a top tier quality user after all :toast:

I will probably forget a lot of stuff and/or remember other theme, I'll eventually post again in the future.

Chrono Cross (PS1)
Scars of Time

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Aerith Theme
Honestly surprised no-one linked this one yet, it's a classic.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor LEgacy (PS2)
Sentinel Beach
Sandover Village (Keira Mix)
Mountain Pass Vs Klaww
The first J&D is the GOAT, RIP ;_;

Mother (NES)
Snowman

Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
Kerwan - Metropolis Theme
Aridia - Traversing the Fortress
Rilgar - Blackwater City

Ratchet & Clank 2 (PS2)
Endako - Megapolis

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
Vela Sector - Pirate Radio 3
Vela Sector - Pirate Radio 6
Groovitron - Electro Boost
Insomniac Museum
Ratchet & Clank is my favorite video game serie beside Pokemon and I'll try to link the soundtrack that struck with me the most. Terraquaza will appreciate.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
Fireworks Factory
Icy Peak
Midnight Mountain
Buzz's Dungeon
If I could link all the soundtrack of this game, I would, they're all worth it.

World of Goo (PC)
Best of Time
Red Carpet Extend 'o' Matic
How was World of Goo not linked yet? It has one of the best soundtrack of any independant game!

I'll save some for later. I currently have Brawl/Crash Bandicoot/Lost Wings in mind, but I'm definitly forgetting some.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How has Ristar been ignored this long? It is the best example of music the Genesis offers.

Ristar (Sega Genesis)
1-1 - Shooting Ristar
1-2 - Dancing Leaves
3-1 - Busy Flare
4-1 - Du-Di-Da!!
5-1 - Ring Rink
5-2 - Ice Scream
Round 2 Clear - Beyond Space
Ending 2 - Next Cruise

It's a lot for one game at once, but they are all worth it.

e: Rather than bump for just one song, I'll just edit it here.

Celebrating Takamaru's addition to Smash 4 as an assist trophy, here's the stage theme from his game.

Nazo no Murasamejou (FDS)
Stage Theme

Last edited:

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
Donkey Kong Country for the SNES "King K. Rool Battle". The progression for this song is just amazing, its got such a jolly theme and feel to it with the whistling and the accordion esque feel, but then it really just shifts gears and the music stops only for rapid drums to be struck and then the real song starts to hit, with slow teases winding up to the actual song, its just intense music, considering King K. Rool is one tough guy. The song gradually builds then drops as well, it still has an upbeat feel to it, It gives me adrenaline, and gets me pumped as well, just a really good classic Donkey Kong song.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Be my guess good sir ;)

EDIT : HOLY SHIT YEEEA ADVANCE WAR (imma add more of them because they're just awesome), and weird that ghost trick hasn't be brought up before
EDIT² : you forgot kanbei's theme :@ + grimm + sami + omfg I forgot how incredibly good they all were actually
short & catchy songs like ADV wars ones have always been so cool, I could pause the battle for hours just to listen Sensei's theme :3
Yeah there are a lot of good ones, but I really liked Sasha's the best. Grimm had a great theme as well :P

Hey, I found I some stuff lacking in your lists, so I thought I'd register and post some music! Some of these may be obscure but still goodies.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
I know there are already some tracks for this on the list, but honestly, the OST is legendary.
Seashore War
Wing Ding
Scorch 'n' Torch

Gunlord (Neo Geo)
I hope you like music from new games made on a dead system. These tracks sound like they belong in a shmup. Rafael Dyll usually composes for shmups anyway.
Main Title
Steel and Thunder

Lost Vikings (SNES)
Remember when Blizzard used to be good? Here's a small taste.
The Croutonian Ship
Factory Beat

Metropolis Street Racer (Dreamcast)
Remember the great music for Sonic R? Well, this is from the same composer, Richard Jacques.
It Doesn't Really Matter
Outside In

Neorude 2 (PS1)
This is an extremely obscure JRPG. So obscure that there's only one track on YouTube, but it sounds pretty epic.
Last Battle

No Heroes Allowed! (PSP)
If this doesn't put a smile on your face, then... really? Go watch the credits again!
Credits
The Beginning Is the Usual Dungeon
Theme of Protecting the Demon Lord:3D

Oceanhorn (iOS)
This is the game that wanted to try really hard to be Wind Waker, but fell a bit short because it was made on the goddamn iOS.
Sky Island (composed by Kalle Ylitalo, first-time game composer)
Mesmeroth (composed by Kenji Ito of SaGa fame)
Final Boss (composed by Nobuo Uematsu of FF fame)

Pictionary (NES)
Tim Follin. 'Nuff said.
Title

Ragnarok Online 2 (PC)
The game was shit, no doubt about it, but the OST was composed by Yoko Kanno, which shouldn't be ignored.
Sailing
Hodo

Runner2 (PC)
This game about running has a pretty cool OST.
Runner2 Theme
Superfunk
Cloud Titans

Sparkster (SNES)
Here's an old-school action platformer and sequel to Rocket Knight Adventures. There's a Genesis version, but I like this one better.
Lakeside

Super Robin Hood (NES)
Yes, it's called Super Robin Hood on the NES. Strange, I know.
Title

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Game Boy)
Glorious chiptunes.
Scroll Stage

The list in the OP already has some DKC2 tracks but seems to be lacking a few of my favourites, such as Snakey Chanty, Krook's March, Haunted Chase and Crocodile Cacophany. And it seems to totally lack anything from the first DKC, so here's Aquatic Ambience, Mine cart Madness, Treetop Rock, Fear Factory and Gangplank Galleon.

There's a few Brawl Tracks in there, but that is such a large and amazing soundtrack I'm surprised there aren't more. Meta Knight's Revenge and Final Destination come to mind. Oh and Vs Ridley.

I'd also like to recommend the soundtrack from Crash Twinsanity. All the tracks are performed by the A Capella group Spiralmouth and they are pretty impressive.
Mechabandicoot
Uka Uka
Slip Slide Icecapades
Walrus Chase
Classroom Chaos
Rooftop Rampage
Rockslide Rumble
Twinsanity Island
Evil Twins
That's more of those than I was expecting to link but they're all really good so...

There's also one track from Chrono Trigger that I really love but always seems to get overlooked by everyone else: Tyrano Lair

I played some TWEWY again the other day and found a couple more noteworthy tracks:

Someday (comes in Japanese as well)
Hybrid (also comes in Japanese)

I've also found some tracks off PSX Frogger that I'd like to share. It's a surprisingly good soundtrack for such a rage-inducing game.. Songs range from being very catchy to being mellow enough to fall asleep to.

Main Menu
Lily Islands
Dark Dark Cavern
Airshow Antics
Bang Bang Barrel (it's a sewer level)
Cactus Point

And of course..
Retro Zone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)