XY OU Death from Above - MegaZard X balanced team

Introduction

I decided to build a team based on offensive MegaZardX and help him with the job. I wanted to make the team balanced so I could have a chance to switch into walls and be also good at revenge killing and stallbreaking. Also the team was build to deal with his major threat like priority or fast Scarfers.

Target Points
Well here are some things I considered to have in team, so Charizard could work well:​
  • Defogger and/or Spinner - because Charizard in his base form is weak to rocks (×4) and after Mega Evolution he is still weak (×2) and that might really mess with him
  • Anti-Bisharp - at least one Pokémon in team should counter Bisharp well, because he becomes very powerful on Defog switch in
  • Flying type/Levitate - Charizard is weak to Ground and Eartquake spamming is something you don't want to let your opponent doing
  • Rock resist - someone in team should be able to resist Rock type moves, so I can switch into Stone Edge targeted to Charizard
  • Anti-Flying Spam - even with Charizard's speed after Dragon Dance, you cannot do anything with strong priority from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, that's why it is good to have someone who can handle those two
  • Stealth Rock user - with all Charizard's power it is still good to have residual damage that weaks opponent's Pokémon before Charizard even starts to sweep, this should help him make the job much easier
  • Anti-Azumarill and Anti-Mawile - Azumarill and Mega Mawile are threats that you don't want to let alive for a long time, they can really mess with the team, especially when you don't have anything that resist them
  • Aromatherapy/Heal Bell + possibly Wish-passer - Even though Charizard's awesome typing allows him to not fear burn, he fears paralyzing a lot, also Toxic isn't something you yawn at, because his recoil damage from Flare Blitz takes him already a lot of HP, Wish is something that isn't bad as well and could help him get HP back (especially without him having Roost)
Target Pokémon
Zapdos - he is good Defogger, that counters Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, also checks Azumarill and can switch into all his moves besides Play Rough, as a Flying type he provides immunity to Ground, that Charizard really appreciates, with his bulk he can also counter Bisharp very well
Skarmory - Defogger, countering Mega Pinsir very well, he can also deal with Azumarill and Mega Mawile and Talonflame locked into Brave Bird, he provides Stealth Rock as well, he also provides immunity to Ground and he is not weak to Rock
Mandibuzz - another Defogger with pretty good bulk, she can counter Talonflame (only if there are no Rocks) and Mega Pinsir, but that makes her lose a lot of HP, it provides Spore and Sleep Powder immunity thanks to Overcoat though, it is reliable Bisharp counter (however it fears repeated Flinching hax from Iron Head), she helps as well with her Ground type immunity
Ferrothorn - this guys provides Thunder Wave support as well as Stealth Rock support, he checks Azumarill and counter his non-Superpower version, it provides Spore and Sleep Powder immunity and Leech Seed immunity and Iron Barbs combined with Rocky Helmet gives some residual damage especially to threats like Landorus-T, he also resists Rock type and he isn't weak to Ground, so it is nice Pokémon to break Edgequake combo
Excadrill - he helps with having Rock type resistance, he provides Stallbreaking support and also have access to Rapid Spin that is very appreciated job in a team, especially when he can punish 2 of 3 Spin Blockers on switch in (Gengar and Aegislash) with Earthquake, he sets up Stealth Rock as well
Hippowdon - his bulk provides good Mega Mawile and Talonflame counter, he can set up Stealth Rock and he also resists Rock type moves while he is not weak to Ground
Breloom - this Pokémon is fully resistant to EdgeQuake and that makes him good Charizard's teammate, his low bulk doesn't allow him to switch into powerful Earthquakes though and he isn't even any fast, he provides Spore that may help Charizard set up Dragon Dance(s) and as a Grass type, he is immune to Leech Seed, Spore and Sleep Powder, he may counter Bisharp and provides good Stallbreaking support
Gothitelle - this lady allows me to trap Pokémon that can stop Charizard from sweeping like Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Quagsire, Hippowdon, Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz and Defogger like Skarmory with super effective moves - Psychic, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt and HP Fire, she isn't any fast and is not made to be good Stallbreaker, since she counters only Physical walls, however her support is really good and she is the best at her job (probably because she is much likely only one at her job, but who cares)
Greninja - although he is pretty frail, he provides good support with dealing with opponent's faster Pokémon that can mess with my team, especially like Latios and Keldeo) and can provide great revenge killing support
Sylveon - Sylveon provides Aromatherapy (Heal Bell in this case) and Wish-passing, with powerful Hyper Voice he can punish even resistant switch ins, he is a Special Wall
Chansey - another Sp.Def Wall, that provides Aromatherapy and may even provide Wish-passing, with Eviolite it's bulk is pretty good and can deal with many Sp.Attackers
Tentacruel - this Pokémon helps my team with Rapid Spin, it can set up Toxic Spikes and help with Charizard's job, it is Anti-Mawile and Anti-Azumarill, he is weak to Electric and Ground though and that's not really appreciated
Amoonguss - this Mushroom provides Spore, that helps my Charizard set up Dragon Dance(s), Spore and Powder moves immunity as well as Leech Seed immunity thanks to Grass typing, Toxic immunity and it is the most reliable Pokémon to deal with Azumarill thanks to resistance to all his moves (excluding rare Ice Punch), with his bulk he doesn't really fear EdgeQuake and due to Regenerator it's easy to heal him back, Clear Smog is also nice move as a STAB that clears stat changes (nice while dealing with Breloom)

As time goes on...

After some testings I build this team, containing Defoger and Physical Wall (Mandibuzz), Special Wall and Heal Bell and Wish-passer (Sylveon), Stealth Rocker and T-wave support (Ferrothorn), Revenge Killer (Azumarill) and Pokémon that could deal with Stall that could stop Charizard from sweeping (Gothitelle).
Dread (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Mindy (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Roost

Thorny (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Azu (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Play Rough

Sylveon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Sissy (Gothitelle) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

However I wanted to make the team better, so I changed it, but I left the core Charizard/Sylveon/Mandibuzz

This was my final team, I dropped Gothitelle and I regret it, because it sometimes make battles against Stall longer, however I can deal with some offensive threats, because Greninja outspeed almost everything non-scarfed and can really help, Excadrill gives new view to a team, with his Rapid Spin and faster Stealth Rock, however this team has bigger issue with Landorus-T when I dropped Ferrothorn, Amoonguss gives opportunity to asleep my opponent and that's nice support, as well as his ability to stop Belly Drum Azumarill even after Belly Drum.
To be fair I couldn't really decide which team should I run, and after some consideration, I decided for this one.

In-depth team

Dread
(Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Mega Charizard X is one of the most powerful Pokémon ever made and probably the best Dragon Dancer. He outclasses many Dragon types and with his Firet typing he has immunity to Will-O-Wisp and the only way to stop him is pretty much anything faster with Scarf or Prankster T-wave (Thundurus). Dragon Dance is his main move, allowing him to outspeed many things while gaining more power. Flare Blitz is his most powerful STAB, chosen over Fire Punch to maximize his power at cost of losing many HP due to recoil. Dragon Claw is here as his second STAB, to do some damage without any negatives, helping mainly against Rotom-W and Rotom-H, even though they're not weak, it does a lot of damage to them. It is chosen over Outrage, which locks me, what isn't really good while there are so much Fairy types. Earthquake is chosen for Heatran, which could otherwise check me very well and it also helps while having Fairy at very low health, so I don't have to lose so much HP due to recoil (same with Ferrothorn at low HP). Roost was considered, however those three moves are just better to have.
Jolly Nature with Max Atk and Max Spe is chosen over Adamant, so he could have Speed Tie with Base Speed 100 Pokémon and outruns Jolly Excadrill without boosts and also after DD he can outrun some common counter to Adamant Mega Charizard as a Adamant Scarfed Terrakion.

Other considered moves: ThunderPunch, Fire Punch, Roost

Mindy (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost

Mandibuzz was chosen over all other Defoggers, because of his bulk and option to check +2 Bisharp. His ability also allows him to not be Asleep by Powder moves like Spore or Sleep Powder and that is really great. In addition it doesn't lose HP in Sandstorm, which can be sometimes really useful. Taunt is here to deal with some set up Pokémon and mainly to stop Ferrothorn from whatever he's doing. Foul Play was chosen over Knock Off mainly due to Swords Dancers and Bisharp, so now he can deal with them really easily even though I am not able to mess with their items. Defog is the main reason of his presence in this team, so he could easily Defog Rocks away. Roost is main healing move giving opportunity to work well as a Physical Wall and take many hits.
Bold nature was chosen to have as much bulk as she can with losing minimum HP to opponent's Foul Play, while she doesn't really need Attack stat. 248 HP gives odd number because of Stealth Rocks (and that's really important, because that's why she's in the team). 252 Def to maximize her defensive potential and rest in Speed to outrun same Speed Tier, while they invest last 4 EVs in Speed.

Other considered moves: Whirlwind, Knock Off, Toxic

Assassin (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse

Greninja is very good Pokémon. He fits well in this team, Protean allows him to power up every his move, because it becomes a STAB move. Hydro Pump is his strongest move and it can hurt very much. Ice Beam is here mainly against Dragons, especially Latios, but also against (×4) weak Pokémon like Gliscor and Landorus. Extrasensory is here for Revenge killing Keldeo and also against Mega Venusaur, which fears only Psychic and/or Flying move and Greninja is only one who runs that. Dark Pulse is here mainly against Aegislash, even though with Aegislash's bulk he isn't able to OHKO him. Dark Pulse also helps against Gengar and Slowbro, while both could really mess with the team.
Timid nature with Max Sp.Atk and Max Spe is chosen to outrun every possible Pokémon and hit them really hard back.

Other considered moves: Grass Knot, Hidden Power Fire

Mole (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Excadrill's main job is to keep Stealth Rock on the field. He can also Spin opponent's rocks away without sacrificing my own rocks and that's pretty great. He's able to check Heatran and Rotom-W on the begining of the battle which was proven to be very useful. Iron Head is there for Fairies and it hurts them well as it is his STAB... pretty much OHKOs all the time. It also helps against Mamoswine which is in lower Speed Tier, so I can outspeed and Iron Head destroys him. Earthquake is here as a strongest STAB, working very well with Mold Breaker and dealing that with many Levitate Pokémon like Rotom and Gengar and Latios on switch-in.
Jolly nature with Max Atk and Max Spe is mainly against Mamoswine and it also helps against many higher Speed Tier Pokémon that doesn't run positive Speed nature, so I can outrun them (Landorus-T, MegaZard X).

Other considered moves: Rock Slide

Silver (Sylveon) (M) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Sylveon completes the role of Special Wall. Hyper Voice as his STAB move, due to Pixiliate, get buffed to sky high base attack, so he can punish pretty much everything that doesn't resist it or is not Special Defensive Wall. Wish is here for Wish passing, that really helps to Charizard, because he lacks recovery. Protect allows me to heal itself with Wish (it returns me 62% of HP) and I can also stall out weather when needed. Heal Bell is another support given to him for Charizard, so he can cure Charizard's paralyzis or poison. It also works, while opponent get's to Poison Mandibuzz or even Sylveon.
Max HP with Max Sp.Def and Calm nature is given to maximize his potential as a Special Wall and survive many things that could be good against my team otherwise, like Thundurus.

Other considered moves: Toxic, Moonlight (but those are both inferior to upper set)

Fungy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog
Amoonguss fills role of another supporting Defensive Wall. He can Spore my opponent so my Charizard has time to set up Dragon Dances or at least it excludes some threats or Stealth Rockers from my opponent's team. Giga Drain is his main STAB, that heals him for little HP and it works well against Rotom-W. Hidden Power Fire is here mainly to punish self-confident Ferrothorn and Scizor, even though it's far from OHKOing. Clear Smog is nice move against Clefable and Azumarill, because it clear their stat changes and makes their work much harder, it is also better move than Spore against +6 Azumarill, because with a Spore there is risk of immidiate woking up , then he would KO me, so he would pretty much fail at his job then. Clear Smog also 2HKOs Breloom, which is another confident switch in against Spore.
Given EVs and Nature allows him to be good physical Defender and survive pretty much everything from Azumarill.
With a Regenerator ability, he doesn't really need any recovery move (well I don't really count Giga Drain as a recovery move with his bad Sp.Atk) and it doesn't waste my time.

Other considered moves: Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Stun Spore
Dread (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Mindy (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost

Assassin (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse

Mole (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Silver (Sylveon) (M) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Fungy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Threats
Mega Mawile is pretty much the biggest threat, it can be checked by Amoonguss, Excadrill and Charizard, however my team doesn't really have any reliable counter to it.

Landorus is also very big threat to my team, it can be checked by Amoonguss (if not Psychic) and Charizard before Mega Evolving, but I don't have any reliable counter, since Sylveon fears Sludge Wave.

Last edited:
hi there,

this is a cool team at a glance, don't really understand greninja on this team-- it don't share any partners which can break its typical checks and counters down and its defensive niche in provide an aegislash check is unnecessary as you have a mandibuzz to do so. this is the sole reason for your major weaknesses as you have more or less a "do nothing" poke on your team in regards to synergy which opens up a lot of holes to your otherwise solid team. in particular, opposing talonflame, pinsir, sand excadrill, bd azumarill, and, ironically enough, opposing greninja do seem to be the biggest problems to your team, none of which your own greninja can cover. naturally, the best course of action would be to replace your greninja for a pokemon that can cover most of these threats, especially the birds issue. my suggestion would be to use a rotom-wash instead of greninja. rotom-w maintains the role of being a water-type on your team, which i assume you added greninja for, to still cover threats that all waters essentially cover such as heatran, but rotom-w does a little more in regards to synergy for your team by acting as a solid check to the birds which currently take a toll on your current squad via levitate and the electric typing. not only that, but rotom-w can effectively check greninja notwithstanding hp grass in most circumstances and can status mawile and bd azumarill in emergency situations. i'd run the standard physically defensive set of hydro pump / volt switch / thunder wave / pain split and ev's of 248 hp / 216 def / 44 spe bold. thunder wave is because opposing dd zard-x could be threatening.

for minor changes, i'd definitely use a bulkier spread on charizard-x. 248 hp / 144 atk / 116 spe adamant still gives you a good amount of attack power and speed while being able to effectively check mega charizard-y. this means you'll have to run roost instead of earthquake too. the loss of coverage sucks, but losing to mega zard sucks worse. foul play on amoonguss instead of hp fire allows you to hit aegislash and lati@s much harder. this is typically preferred coverage. lastly, use the ev's of 248 hp / 136 def / 108 spdef / 16 spe impish on mandibuzz as you outspeed max spe azumarill (adamant) and now can effectively counter landorus who you mentioned as a threat.

good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)