XY OU Frozen in the Sky (XY OU team)

FROZEN IN THE SKY

Introduction:

What’s up people? I’ve been busy for a while so I stopped playing but yesterday I decided to play again. I remember I had my sand stall team rmt but I wanted to do something different.

The problem was that yesterday my computer crashed so I had to format it, so I’ve lost all my teams.

Because of that I decided to recover a team that I had that was working very well, in fact better than my stall so I had another reason to make a rmt about it.

In my opinion the team is solid and I don’t really see problems but the main reason I share it’s because I really enjoy playing with it.

The team:

Note: that the team is based on a Kyurem-Black + Gothielle core so I don’t want to get rid of any of these mons if its possible.

In depth analysis:

Gothielle:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Why Gothielle? It’s BL. Well, ok Gothielle doesn’t seem to be the best psychic type in OU but but at least it’s better than Wobuffet. Other than that Gothielle can be a huge threat if It’s well palyed. For example my Gothielle has the Choice Specs items and the move Trick, so that means I can switch into Chansey and use Trick to cripple it.

It also helps Kyurem-B trapping some fighting type mons that can get rid of Kyurem-B. A good examples of that will be Terrakion and Keldeo beacause other Fighting because Conkeldurr has Knock Off and Heracross is a bug type, so it’s not really safe to switch in.

I also have Energy Ball and Thunderbolt which are good to help the team to deal with some water type mons like Quagsire, Gastrodon or Rotom-W. Thunderbolt also helps vs, Flying type mons like Choice Band Talonflame, using Gothielle as a revenge killer, or Skarmory.

Other options:

Another option is to use Hp[Fire] instead of Thunderbolt or Energyball so that means you can get rid of steel types like Scizor or Ferrothorn that are threats for Kyurem.

Kyurem-B (“Cube”):

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Note: I am not going to discuss if that mon is uber or not because it has been proved a lot of times that isn’t since it has a bad move pool and It’s weak to 5 types.

If you haven’t noticed yet I think bulky Kyurem-Black is the best Greninja check at the moment since it resists or takes x1 damage from its attacks.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 228 HP / 28- SpD Kyurem-B: 192-227 (42.8 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

A part form that Kyurem-B has other functions than checking Greninja but the main reason why it’s in my team Is because of that.

Another good thing that I haven’t mention about Kyurem-Black it’s substitute. With substitute I can avoid some status problem and also, what I like most, trolling Rotom-W. I’m going to explain that with a example: My Kyurem-Black comes to battle and a Rotom-W comes to the battle to. The Rotom-W uses Will-o-Wisp but I sub before that because I have more speed. After that the other player has to switch it’s Rotom-W because if it doesn’t it will die because of my Earth Power.

Ice beam comes with the stab so it’s the best move to use with Kyurem-Black at the moment because it can’t learn Ice Punch and its signature move takes two turns to hit (And because Ice Beam is better than any other Dragon Type move with that set has better coverage).

Earth power is mainly required to hit Heatran but it can also be good vs. Mawile If you are under a substitute.

200+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 280-332 (72.7 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 118-141 (29.1 - 34.8%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heatran:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Heatran this is mostly used in the well-known FGW cores, but In my case I wanted the team to look a bit different from the others.

Altought Heatran has Stealth Rock I don’t normally lead with it because is mostly expected by people and because it hard to lead with it since you have things in the meta like Excadrill or Landorus as common leads.

The main role of Heatran is to wall fyre type pokemons like Charizard-Y, if it’s not mixed, and Talonflame, if doesn’t uses the painful taunt+bulk up set.

The best fire move for a bulky heatran is Lava Plume that has the same effect as Scald but instead of being a Water move it’s a fire move.

The last move I have is Roar that is the best answer I have vs. Calm Mind Clefable that can only counter that set if it has magic bounce. I think Clefable is a very big threat for that team.

Other options:
Bulky Talonflame isn’t really a problem since I have Stealth Rock and Rotom-Wash but Ancient Power can be an option.

For Clefable adding a steel move on Heatran can be a good idea on paper but when you test it you see that you need some SpA investiment or Choice Specs to make Heatran a good Cefable counter.

I’m going to explain it with a example: If I have Heatran and Clefable comes to battle I can use Flash Cannon, the Clefable uses Calm Mind and then I hit back again with Flash cannon and I defeat it. In the other hand If the opponent has a Clefable and I change to Heatran, the opponent will use Calm Mind on the change so I wouldn’t be able to defeat it.

So what? The solution will be to use both Flash Cannon and Roar and the set will be Lava Plume / Flash Cannon / Roar / Stealth Rock.

Mandibuzz:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Note: I have – Atk nature to maximize the Foul’s Play damange.

The main role of Mandibuzz is to use Defog so I can change to Kyurem-Black without fearing that Stealth Rock damage. Also Spikes are painful for some of the pokemons I have in my team and sticky web is not good since the fastest mon I have is Landorus-Therian. The secondary role is to check Bisharp but some use substitute so that’s a problem.

Taunt is use to stop every wall to set up rocks, spikes, sticky web or any status move that can use. Also works to stop some sweepers to set up but that can be risky.

Foul’s Play and Knock Off are the best options that Mandibuzz has as a wall. In my case I decided to use Foul’s Play because I helps vs. some set up sweepers in some situations.

Roost is for the obvious HP recovery.

Manectric:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Rotom-W was unnecessary since I had another check on my team for Mega Pinsir that is Landorus-Therian and rarely Mandibuzz if it's needed.
Adding Mega Manectric gives the team another mon with intimidate which can be very useful and can help some mons to survive a bit more.

Also Mega Manectric gives the team another Electric resistance, so that means I can easily swirch into Manectric when a Mega Ampharos or a Thundurus comes to battle, and can check both Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.

Another good thing is that Manectric has lightningrod so the opponent will not the be able to use electric type moves so frequently unless Manectric is megaevolved.

Althought I have Volt Switch Thunderbolt is prefered to do damange and stay because it has more power and it can help to take down some walls like Skarmory or any water type wall that isn't Quagsire or Gastrodon.

Hp[Ice] is prefered rather than using Hp[Grass] because of its speed, so it can check things like Mega Garchomp or Landorus-Therian.

Volt Switch is to scout so you can easily scape from things like Gothielle or just If you want to switch out to another mon.

The last move is Overheat. Althought Mega Manectric can learn Flamethrower Overheat is prefered because of the damange that it does. Works prefectly vs bulky steel type mons like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn and some grass type walls, not Mega Venusaur, like Amoonguss and the mentioned Ferrothorn.

Landorus-Therian:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

And my last mon is Landorus-Therian which is the fastest pokemon I have in the team. The main role of Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian is to check pokemons like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Charizard-X or Y.

U-Turn is to scout and to do some great damange to pokemons like Lati@s, Gothitelle and others.

Earthquake is the best move that Landorus-T has to revenge kill because it goes with the stab so you can do a significant damage.

Vs. stall teams you don’t a lot of damage to things like Mega Venusaur, Clefable or Quagsire so is not a good idea to use it vs. them.

Stone Edge is to defeat things like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Thundurus, Charizard-X or Y (for Charizard-Y you can’t switch instantly because Landorus-T doesn’t really has SpD and because of the nature I have and for Thundurus-I it’s more or less the same because it has Hp[Ice] and x4 damage to Landorus-Therian).

Finally I have Hp[Ice] instead of Knock Off because of the lack of ice type moves on that team so I can defeat mons like Gliscor, Landorus or Landorus-T.

Conclusion:

I think that team which you can have fun playing with it but that needs some skill to use it well.

Honorable mention:

Rotom-Wash:

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Rotom-Wash isn’t used with SpD this gen because HO rain isn’t used a lot this gen and because of the increase of Physical threats in OU. Rotom-Wash is good vs. mons like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame and Azumarill.

Volt Switch is preferred rather than using Thunderbolt so you can just simply use Volt Switch to escape from Venusaur or Ferrothorn and change into your Gothitelle.

If Gothitelle is dead I will probably have problems with Mega Venusuar since it can learn Earthquake and Leech Seed, but for that I have Kyurem-Black that has terabolt so I avoid Thick Fat.

Hydropump it’s the only water type move that rotom-w has access and you always want a water type move with Rotom-W. Not too much to explain about Hydropump, it’s good vs. fire type mons like Talonflame or Heatran, ground type mons like Hippowdon and some rock type mons like Diancie.

Will-o-Wisp is needed to burn every physical threat you can burn and also helps vs. some walls like Quagsire, Ferrothorn, Umbeon and others (Umbreon has Synchronize but I can cure that brun using Rest.

The last move is Rest that works very well with the berry that I use that allows me to wake up instantly when I use Rest but I can only use it once.

Importable version:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Just a small note, it seems you are missing some EV's on Kyurem, you only list 220 HP, 28 SpDef and 20 SpAtk, which means there are around 220ish EVs missing

The team does look quite solid, only a small thing but it looks like a mixed Tyranitar could fare reasonably well against this team is Rotom is gone, a moveset including EQ, Ice Beam, Crunch/Pursuit plus one filler could be threatening. Just a thought.

I Am Doz. That's true and I haven't notice it xD. Kyure-Black is fixed now.

I like you to mention Tyranitar that is one of the reasons why I would like to include Clefable in my team but I have no idea were to put it. SE also hits hard Clefable: 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 241-285 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 134-158 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

BASED

Banned deucer.
SpeedBlaziken hi first of all on the Ttar thing you never see band Tar anymore it will either be DD Megatar or Choice Scarf 99% of the time + you are right there really is not a place for Clefable on your team unless you want to drop your defogger which is not a good idea. Now I would like to mention a few things that bother me about your team. What I noticed right off the bat is your lack of a Mega Evo which I guess does not need to be on every team but it would be best if you had one that offered something to the team more than another pokemon and came to the conclusion of using Mega Manetric>Rotom-W. I feel like Rotom-W is pretty unnecessary because you either already have another counter to what you said you need Rotom-W for and Mega Mane checks things like Mega Pinsir as well but most importantly this gives you an actual Electric resist for Thundurus which is needed on most teams in the meta. Furthermore Mega Man gives a much more intimidating offensive presence which I feel would benefit this team. Before going any further on one more change you for sure should make I would like to question what the random speed creeps on Heatran / Mandibuzz is for. Both seem to be an unnecessary drop of bulk on both mons so until you explain those to me I recommend Heatran spread: 248HP / 8Def / 252SpD + Mandibuzz spread: 248HP / 252Def / 8SpD. You may be questioning why instead of keeping the mix wall I made it more oriented into physical defense and that is because with the removal of Rotom-W Sand Rush teams become a bit more scary to your team so I figured it would be best to make Mandibuzz a more fit switch into Excadrill. Also since Mandibuzz drops that speed I would recommend Whirlwind>Taunt. The final changes is regarding your Scarf Lando-T which does work well on this team but needs to be changed up a bit. First of all HP Ice on Landorus-T is no longer relevant or even good to be honest so instead I figured it would be best run Knock Off > HP Ice. Knock Off is really annoying to things that usually feel safe switching into Lando i.e avest azu / specs keldeo. The other changes I made to this set was to outrun Mega Aerodactyl which you may say is not that common but is actually gaining more usage and depending on the moveset can seriously dent your team. With that in mind I believe you should change your Landorus-T to Jolly 56HP / 252Atk / 4Def / 196Spe. After these changes I feel you have a pretty solid team so I helped you and gl w/ playing :].

>

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Jolly
Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Based thanks for the rate. The speed ev's were taken from the standard sets the 40 speed on Heatran were to ouspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. Same for Mandibuzz, to outspeed Mawile and Azumarill.

I also like the idea of using Mega Manectric :). I am changing Rotom-W for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)