Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Okay, I'm curious. I've believed that you're A LOT more likely to get shiny pokemon by MM breeding than you are by random wild encounter (no pokeradar, no chained fishing, etc). In my time counting eggs for this thread, I've gotten 1 shiny by breeding, and a whopping *6* by wild encounter.

This last session, I did spend a bit more time in the grass, first to check out what was in a few new friend safaris, and then to EV train some pokemon with horde battles, but still, I ended up with 2 new caught shinies (phantump from a friend safari, and hoppip from a horde battle), in approximately 150 battles all told.

Is it confirmed that MM breeding is better odds than random wild encounters? Are these numbers just normal for people with the shiny charm?
I'm not 100% sure of the odds, but I think the odds of finding a shiny in safaris with the shiny charm is the same or similar to breeding with masuda method and charm. Since you find five pokemon at a time in hordes, you're going to find shinies a bit faster by fighting hordes than by fighting single encounters. Masuda method, hordes and the friend safari are the easiest way to find shinies outside of chain fishing. IMO, it's more fruitful to breed shinies because you can guarantee a nature and at least three or four flawless IV's, but friend safari, hordes and fishing are better options than breeding if you don't care for IV's, since running from battles is faster than hatching eggs.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I'm not 100% sure of the odds, but I think the odds of finding a shiny in safaris with the shiny charm is the same or similar to breeding with masuda method and charm. Since you find five pokemon at a time in hordes, you're going to find shinies a bit faster by fighting hordes than by fighting single encounters. Masuda method, hordes and the friend safari are the easiest way to find shinies outside of chain fishing. IMO, it's more fruitful to breed shinies because you can guarantee a nature and at least three or four flawless IV's, but friend safari, hordes and fishing are better options than breeding if you don't care for IV's, since running from battles is faster than hatching eggs.
Yeah, I am definitely into getting high quality shinies, lol, so I'll stick to MM breeding. I was just surprised by how many shinies I've randomly encountered, considering I only ever encountered 1 last gen (though it was a pretty boss drilbur). I think my experience corroborates your hypothesis, since 3 of the 6 shinies I've encountered thus far are from friend safaris (beautifly, mincinno, and phantump).

Okay, I'm curious. I've believed that you're A LOT more likely to get shiny pokemon by MM breeding than you are by random wild encounter (no pokeradar, no chained fishing, etc). In my time counting eggs for this thread, I've gotten 1 shiny by breeding, and a whopping *6* by wild encounter.

This last session, I did spend a bit more time in the grass, first to check out what was in a few new friend safaris, and then to EV train some pokemon with horde battles, but still, I ended up with 2 new caught shinies (phantump from a friend safari, and hoppip from a horde battle), in approximately 150 battles all told.

Is it confirmed that MM breeding is better odds than random wild encounters? Are these numbers just normal for people with the shiny charm?

---

Current Shiny Count:
Shiny horsea @ 1303

Eggs hatched this session: 100
Bred Shinies: 0 :(
Caught Shinies: 2 (!!!)

Total Eggs hatched: 1692
Bred Shinies: 1
Caught Shinies: 6 (?!?!?)
As far as I know from what I found when I was researching shiny possibilities after the game came out and I finished it, is that the shiny charm has no effect in the FS because its chances were already increased over the wild. But after shiny charm is obtained ,in x + y, it was only supposed to be for wild encounters. So by Nintendos information you're supposed to have better odds finding shinies in the wild and in safari zone. Hope I didnt explain this to be confusing lol im terrible at explaining things well.

As far as I know from what I found when I was researching shiny possibilities after the game came out and I finished it, is that the shiny charm has no effect in the FS because its chances were already increased over the wild. But after shiny charm is obtained ,in x + y, it was only supposed to be for wild encounters. So by Nintendos information you're supposed to have better odds finding shinies in the wild and in safari zone. Hope I didnt explain this to be confusing lol im terrible at explaining things well.
So, given that it looks pretty solid for us to be at 8/4096, is that suggesting Shiny Charm does work or does not? I've never really known what MM odds vs MM+Shiny Charm odds were.

Also, another update : 3300 eggs, 13 shinies (got a Skorupi!)

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while, person shizz went down y'know?
Anyway, back to business

UPDATE
Total eggs hatched: 4900
New shinies: 0

Total shinnies: 10

Shiny Pinsir @ #795

Shiny Fennekin @ #1524

Shiny Gligar @ #2160

Shiny Tyrogue @ #3529

Shiny Tyrogue @ #3595

Shiny Kangaskhan @ #3731

Shiny Klefki @ #4163

Shiny Klefki @ #4200

Shiny Klefki @ #4205

Shiny Klefki @ #4292

will update numbers later, but after a 3,200 egg drought, yesterday i got a shiny beldum 5ivs,
Shiny poliwage (swift swim) 4ivs, and 2 shiny torchics, one female on male and both blaze lol

breeding for a speedboost right now because i want to sash him not mega him.

Total number of eggs hatched: 1000

Total number of shinies: 3

Gonna take a bit of a break to breed some 'mons for other people so I won't pledge anymore for now.

I'm bored and just got shiny charm. SO LETS DO IT.
I'm going batches of hundred.
Japanese Ditto+English Gastly.
-First hundred- No shiny :(
-Second Hundred- No Shiny :(
-Third Hundred - No shiny
-Fourth Hundred- No shiny
-Fifth hundred- No shiny godamittt
-Sixth Hundred - No shiny still..
-Seventh Hundred- No shiny
-Eight hundred- No shiny
-Ninth hundred- No shiny
-One thousand- No shiny(i'm going to break something if i don't get anything in the next three hundred eggs)

Last edited:
Getting really unlucky with Hawlucha hatching 2001 eggs, I got the shiny charm and got it after 226 eggs with the charm
I hatched two other shinies after that:
Chespin at egg #137
Fennekin at egg #33
I'm going for another Fennekin right now because it missed special attack and ended up with 6-7 IV for special attack... 400 eggs so far, still nothing.

Might as well add my results too:
600 eggs, 0 shinies, just an awful lot of Beldums...

I find it a little sad that I hatched more shinies BEFORE I got the shiny charm than I have since...

Added and updated :)
So, given that it looks pretty solid for us to be at 8/4096, is that suggesting Shiny Charm does work or does not? I've never really known what MM odds vs MM+Shiny Charm odds were.

Also, another update : 3300 eggs, 13 shinies (got a Skorupi!)
So far it looks like it is working since I believe the odds are supposed to be 1/1638 and our odds are at 1/507 right now.

I'm going to pledge 1,500 Eggs. I'm going to do 3 batches of 500, and I'm breeding for a Shiny Moon Ball Shinx.

I just got started! I'll update when I get to 500 eggs. (I'm at 217 now and so far no shiny)

Update!

Caught Shinies: 1 Shiny Pawniard! After Chaining! And one Shiny Eevee with perfect IVs off the GTS (no egg moves though ;-;)

Batch 1: 2 Shinies! Egg 419 and egg 500!

Batch 2: None. 500 non shiny Shinx :(

Batch 3: Absolutely nothing ;-;

Last edited:
No update on hatching, but I have had some serious luck while EV training. 1 Shiny Nosepass, 1 Shiny Bellsprout, AND TWO WINGULLS I FOUND IN CONSECUTIVE ENCOUNTERS. Let me repeat. I used sweet scent. "Hey, a shiny Wingull!" I KOd the other 4 and caught it. I used sweet scent again. "WTF, another shiny Wingull."

Sorry Midnyte, I've been busy...
I started again and here's my update:

Total - 1500/1500

Shinys:
eevee @ 179
eevee @ 819
eevee @ 1386

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)