The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks more like the death star than the sun. And come on, each bender has a specialty of their respective types, no mixing. Phase-changing earth is just unique enough that nobody's really tried it, I guess. It doesn't seem to have that many applications, as really anything you do with hot rock you could basically do with regular.

Remember when I said the fights were getting worse? Forget that; Su vs Lin was beautiful to watch.

Ok, with all this metalbending stuff showing up recently, metalbending itself has stopped making sense for me. Originally, Toph was able to metalbend because she could locate small impurities of earth in her metal cage and manipulate them. In the promise, she started to teach others how to metalbend, which I would have to assume she also taught her seismic sense, because you can't metalbend without sensing the earth in the metal. Lin's use of seismic sense in season 1 seemed to confirm this. So, how exactly does Korra or Bolin just pick up a meteorite and mess around with it?

Here's something else: Sato said his metal tanks were made of "pure platinum", which was "too pure" for "even Toph" to bend. By that reasoning, it seems that the periodic table of elements is understood in LoK's time. So, why can't metalbenders bend platinum? Because it's "pure metal" and not "earth"? Question is, what IS earth? In early season 1, when all the earthbenders were trapped on the floating prison, team avatar released coal used for fuel on the deck, which the earthbenders could use to fight with. Coal=Carbon, or usually at least 80% carbon. How does their bending tell the difference between carbon and platinum? The place on the periodic table? They are pretty far apart, so I guess that makes a bit of sense, but with the elements showing up, criteria for "earth" aren't really defined. Rock is mainly silicon, which is near carbon, which also makes some sense. But being able to bend carbon and silicon means like...earthbenders should be able to manipulate human tissue or glass.

Digging even deeper into this: metalbenders seem to be able to manipulate meteorites, and not regular earthbenders, but a large majority of meteorites are made of silicate materials, similar to stone. Only a few rare meteorites are made of metal, and those are usually iron or nickel. Both of those metals aren't really prevalent in "stone" or "earth"; I think we could agree that they're pretty pure, too. So why can metalbenders alter special iron meteorites that are pure metal, with no imperfections? It's as unrelated to "earth" as it could be.

Basically, the whole "you need to sense earth in metal to bend it" has stopped making sense, and the cheating of saying metalbenders can't touch heavy elements has further complicated things. Most metal is some kind of alloy of Iron anyway, which doesn't have any "earth" in it at all! You're telling me that all the metal these sculptures and cities are being made of has noticeable amounts of clay and sandstone in it? No thank you.

Looks more like the death star than the sun. And come on, each bender has a specialty of their respective types, no mixing. Phase-changing earth is just unique enough that nobody's really tried it, I guess. It doesn't seem to have that many applications, as really anything you do with hot rock you could basically do with regular.

Remember when I said the fights were getting worse? Forget that; Su vs Lin was beautiful to watch.

Ok, with all this metalbending stuff showing up recently, metalbending itself has stopped making sense for me. Originally, Toph was able to metalbend because she could locate small impurities of earth in her metal cage and manipulate them. In the promise, she started to teach others how to metalbend, which I would have to assume she also taught her seismic sense, because you can't metalbend without sensing the earth in the metal. Lin's use of seismic sense in season 1 seemed to confirm this. So, how exactly does Korra or Bolin just pick up a meteorite and mess around with it?

Here's something else: Sato said his metal tanks were made of "pure platinum", which was "too pure" for "even Toph" to bend. By that reasoning, it seems that the periodic table of elements is understood in LoK's time. So, why can't metalbenders bend platinum? Because it's "pure metal" and not "earth"? Question is, what IS earth? In early season 1, when all the earthbenders were trapped on the floating prison, team avatar released coal used for fuel on the deck, which the earthbenders could use to fight with. Coal=Carbon, or usually at least 80% carbon. How does their bending tell the difference between carbon and platinum? The place on the periodic table? They are pretty far apart, so I guess that makes a bit of sense, but with the elements showing up, criteria for "earth" aren't really defined. Rock is mainly silicon, which is near carbon, which also makes some sense. But being able to bend carbon and silicon means like...earthbenders should be able to manipulate human tissue or glass.

Digging even deeper into this: metalbenders seem to be able to manipulate meteorites, and not regular earthbenders, but a large majority of meteorites are made of silicate materials, similar to stone. Only a few rare meteorites are made of metal, and those are usually iron or nickel. Both of those metals aren't really prevalent in "stone" or "earth"; I think we could agree that they're pretty pure, too. So why can metalbenders alter special iron meteorites that are pure metal, with no imperfections? It's as unrelated to "earth" as it could be.

Basically, the whole "you need to sense earth in metal to bend it" has stopped making sense, and the cheating of saying metalbenders can't touch heavy elements has further complicated things. Most metal is some kind of alloy of Iron anyway, which doesn't have any "earth" in it at all! You're telling me that all the metal these sculptures and cities are being made of has noticeable amounts of clay and sandstone in it? No thank you.
Yo it's just a cartoon
Edit: Like every time someone tries to explain some shit fuckin' Mike and Bryan's dicks go flaccid and they get to bang one less hooker that week and all that caviar they used as lube just goes to waste.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
And here I thought the first thing people would complain about was that only 1 in 100 earthbenders can metalbend while every firebender is using lightning.

there's a fan theory that I really liked which is that the whole "1 in 100" thing is a myth and that bolin could never metalbend cause he was too mentally hung up that he wasn't that 1 in 100

it'd be cool if metalbending was like lightning bending in the sense that it just takes a lot of hard work to be able to do it

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I mean logically it has to be that way, but I don't know why Su says otherwise. Again, metal-bending oligarchy and all that, but it just turned out I was reading into that too much with Opal and I probably am here as well. Sigh...

I probably won't post in detail until the season is over but I think it's pretty mediocre.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I probably won't post in detail until the season is over but I think it's pretty mediocre.
I know why you're saying this, but personally they've earned my trust with last season, and I think they're going for a longer form narrative than korra has been in the past, so things are paced awkwardly right now. I'm holding out hope that things will start coming together better in the next few episodes, and that next season will be amazing.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
They earned my trust too. It just feels like they are pandering to people who wanted Air and Spirts to be more like ATLA. And if it's a longer story tying into the next season, well then it had better be at least as good as Fire. Sure as shit better end up being better than Water.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
verbatim

First of all, sorry for the late response and if this was answered in the most recent episodes, I wasn't able to catch them yet.

It's a fair point that the show has gotten away with things that are usually taboo like on screen deaths (although I do personally feel the fact that it is an explosion and therefore there are no dead bodies shown helped) but something like having multiple sexual partners still isn't something they can say. Death is something everyone is aware of, even if executives would rather it not appear too much. On the other hand, I think a fair number of viewers don't even know what sex is yet and still aren't sure where children come from.

However, since making that post I did change my mind, I do think they will just be able to say who is whose parent without having to mention sex or marriage, and with graceful writing it shouldn't raise too many questions with the kids. Again, sorry if they already did it in the last episodes, I haven't seen them yet :X

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/nickelodeon-pulls-upcoming-legend-of-korra-episodes
http://www.nickandmore.com/2014/07/23/nickelodeon-pulls-five-legend-of-korra-premieres/

tl;dr: Show on sudden hiatus and pulled off TV after ep. 8 this Friday, confirmed by Bryke:
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/92677924067
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino

I'm so fucking pissed off about Nick. Great job, what a fucking terrible network for such a great show to be on. Let's review the problems that contributed to "low ratings" that are no fault of the show, shall we?

1. Shitty promotion. Book 3 was announced literally days before the premiere. No hype or teaser trailer or release date until a week or so in advance. I almost expected them to forget about it save the fact that ep. 3-6 leaked online in advance and they had to take swift action. Also Nick's fault.

2. Not putting up the episodes online for streaming, instead putting them for sale on iTunes two weeks after airing, after everyone who cared enough pirated it.

3. Two episodes per week is ok except the seasons are pretty short. It seems a little like rushing. 6 weeks for the entire book is a little short imo. It was a two episode premiere and then nothing then two episodes again. Ok??

4. Mismatched audience. There are plenty of Avatar fans who don't give a shit about anything else Nick offers and therefore watch it online and not on that terrible network. Friday night is a questionable timeslot as well imo.

Thankfully book 4 is already in production so it's not "totally" canceled. But Nick has a history of crimes against not only LoK but the Avatar series in general, and I wish that it had been on a better network in the first place. To complain about "low ratings" when it's not the fault of the show at all is complete dog shit.

EDIT: It's going "digital" on a "few sites" and given the iTunes release schedule, I'm afraid to know what that entails. Taking it off TV period is all kinds of bad. I'm sure Nick will continue to cry about "lack of interest" or something after their completely inept treatment of the show.

EDIT 2: Book 4 is still confirmed as is the rest of book 3 but the release details are unknown at this time. The release schedule will not be on track as before, so it might be awhile before this season concludes. ugh.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's become clear that Nick has no idea how to properly care for something that has the enormous potential that the Avatar series does. The echo chamber of 'Nick only cares about Spongebob' is loud but dang it seems really obvious that they cannot handle anything else. It's obvious that Korra did better online because fans didn't care to be dicked around with these bad time slots. Now that they have bum-rushed out to overtake the leaks they were in the perfect position to regain some momentum and support the series proper. Instead we get this complete asshole of an announcement. It also feels like despite all of Season 3 being ready and TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH they did not have much if any promo materials or teasers ready.

It makes you really wonder how far this series is getting robbed by this complete mishandling of a season.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Well, there went my Friday night plans. The season was starting to get really interesting, but I shouldn't have been surprised it'd get royally screwed over because Nickelodeon has a blatant bias to their other shows, such as Spongebob "Family Guy of the sea" Squarepants.

I am just praying the backlash is strong enough to make them reconsider their mistake. Seriously, I am severely pissed this happened and it's usually impossible for me to get even remotely frustrated.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
It's become clear that Nick has no idea how to properly care for something that has the enormous potential that the Avatar series does. The echo chamber of 'Nick only cares about Spongebob' is loud but dang it seems really obvious that they cannot handle anything else. It's obvious that Korra did better online because fans didn't care to be dicked around with these bad time slots. Now that they have bum-rushed out to overtake the leaks they were in the perfect position to regain some momentum and support the series proper. Instead we get this complete asshole of an announcement. It also feels like despite all of Season 3 being ready and TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH they did not have much if any promo materials or teasers ready.

It makes you really wonder how far this series is getting robbed by this complete mishandling of a season.
It has been clear since the A;Tla days that Nick does not care for Any avatar series. Litra is right in his point of only caring for other shows. I think that the best way to take this situation should be to show our support for Korra. I doubt it will turn out this way, yet if they see support (and money) from Korra... maybe they will actually give two shits about it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well at least we will get one new episode tomorrow and the korra sdcc panel at 11 PT so we can figure out this whole mess.

Apparently now Nick is 45% Sponge programming up from what was 25% a few years back, absolutely incredible.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Did Cartoon network get the same backlash? I haven't seen CN in years, but I recall they removed a ton of old shows.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Yeah, you're right in that they did get some massive negativity over adding a block dedicated to being live action game shows, which got heavily criticized and was accused of suffering network decay. At least CN responded to their backlash and got rid of CN Real and made an effort to improve themselves to make up for it. Nickelodeon would require more effort than with CN, but they might eventually respond given they essentially pissed off the Avatar fandom as a whole an gave them something to unite against.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well glad they at least are keeping the show going. I was going to blow a fit.
Series co-creator confirmed last night that book 4 is still on and just finished pre-production. However, I feel that if Nick didn't already order it then Korra would be finished for good.

Judging from their reactions on social media, Bryke are just as pissed off about the matter as the fans are. Unfortunately, Viacom holds the rights to the Avatar series so it's unlikely they will be relinquished to another network. They don't care about the show while it airs but they'll hold onto those rights like their firstborn child.

EDIT: I feel bad for Bryke most of all because they really care about the Avatar series and the work that they do and they care about the fans. They are the complete opposite of the George Lucas-type egos where you will take their vision and goddammit you better like it. It seems that they're just being shit on every step of the way by network executives. Viacom may own the rights but it's not their show.

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering what sparked this decision, as Nickelodeon has always been a bit ridiculous when handling shows more mature than Spongebob (rest in peace, Invader Zim). There's supposed to be more information tomorrow at SDCC, unless they're just affirming what has already been said.

All the same, I'm a bit disappointed in Nick. Here I thought this season of Korra was an improvement over the last two.

Last edited:

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Did anyone catch Suyin's awkward eye movements after being told that Aiwei was the traitor? Potential red flag? She willingly sent Korra after Aiwei, knowing that Zaheer and co would probably be with him. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turns out she was involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)