Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Finally beat all 3 heroics. Took me a while on Anub (gosh dang that guy is annoying and hard to beat without the right cards. Faerlina was annoying to face as zoo and it took me a few tries as well. All in all I can say with pride that Maexxna is easily beaten by the deck I listed above and that I beat her on my first try! :)

Of the 6 cards we've gotten so far, I think 4 of them will see pretty consistent use. Anub'ar Ambusher is a great powerful 4 drop, especially for Rogue, who's all about abusing battlecries. Poison Seeds is also nice for Druid as finally a source of hard removal, although the card has downsides, such as the fact that your opponent can use their treants right away. Still, Poison Seeds + Starfall sweeps, even though I think Starfall is a bad card, it might be important now. Maexxna is really cool because with 8 Health, it is almost definitely going to take 2 or 3 cards to take it out, or it absorbs a Silence, while continuing to munch on weaker cards. And Nerubian Egg is a great aggro card, most fast decks have a way to activate it, and it also deters AOE and gives you strong presence after a sweep. I think this will take the place of Harvest Golem in aggro decks, I think it's better there.

Acklow

Nerubian Egg won't take Harvest Golem's spot in Trump F2P purely on the basis that the deck doesn't have enough ways to make sure that you get the 4/4 other than Sunfury or destroying it with your own hero power. I actually think the Spider that makes 1/1s when it dies would be a viable alternative to Harvest Golem purely on the basis that it does the same thing for even better value (1/2 that is effectively 3/4 for 2 mana). And it provides a cheaper drop in an otherwise slow deck (this is all in terms of Trump F2P). Nerubian Egg is easily staple in Zoo. I like little Spider in hunter since it's an okay 2 drop other than River Croc. My only gripe is the small spiderlings that it spawns aren't considered beasts so you cant take advantage of the tokens as easily.

Here's an entirely different question: based on the hero abilities we saw in the Naxx bosses, do you guys think that down the road there's a good chance we will be seeing another deck type? I think it would be cool to see something similar to any of the hero powers the Naxx bosses had (and not the Heroic ones, I mean the normal ez mode ones).

Well, I think that they are eventually going to make classes for Monk and Death Knight, but I don't expect their hero powers to be similar to the ones that the Arachnid Quarter had. Just something along those lines is way imbalanced compared to other classes.

So Naxx is fun so far it seems. Heroic mode for the first quarter was really weird for me. I had trouble with Anub'Rekhan at first. I figured I could easily play my AoW-less Ramp Druid to beat the 4/4s but I lost (bad draws IMO, but w/e). After a few other tries I was like "fine, I'll play Amaz Priest" thinking I had no chance.

Then I beat him :]]]]]]]]]]]]]

I actually beat Faerlina the first try with Tempo Rogue, but my draws were pretty ridiculous IIRC. I just made sure I was playing multiple things every turn which isn't too hard to do with Rogue that isn't Miracle.

Maexxna was the toughest for me actually. I finally just netdecked an Aggro Hunter off the subreddit and won after two more tries (misplayed on the first try). Similar to other people, I just flooded her board with 1/1 spiders for my doggies :].

I've been too chicken to play Ranked, but I'll likely hit the ladder later today.

So just to be clear since I never did ranked before (only doing it for the card back), I just need to be at rank 20 to get it, I don't have to get to 19 right? Easy 6 game win streak got me to 20 and 2 stars, so I should be fine right?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
you can't even lose stars until rank 19 so I don't see the harm.

but yeah it's for 'hitting' rank 20, so you should be fine.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Yep, that's all you need for the card back :)
Also, token Druid is making a pretty big push on the ladder because of the new Naxx cards (spider + nerubian egg) - I think I'm going to start picking up Druid

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Man Maexxna is pretty good removal magnet... I can chuck one in any deck that needs removals gone for the big players later on.

It's all pretty much the best priest fucker around. I no longer have to wait for hard removal to deal with buff shenanigans. Teaming it up lategame with Sunfury/Argus is hilarious.

It's all good until the Priest takes it out with Shadow Word Pain or steals it with Cabal Shadow Priest or takes care of it in some other way relating to its comically low attack (Kodo).

Man Maexxna is pretty good removal magnet... I can chuck one in any deck that needs removals gone for the big players later on.

It's all pretty much the best priest fucker around. I no longer have to wait for hard removal to deal with buff shenanigans. Teaming it up lategame with Sunfury/Argus is hilarious.
generally when i want to bait removal spells i use big value creatures (cheaper efficient creatures work too) so i get advantage even if they die (cairne, alecks, ancient of lore, ysera, twilight drake, yeti even azure drake etc). It seems the reason u like it is as ur only losing a bad card - you can do better by using good cards. I also wouldnt worry about that priest deck - its just a niche suicide bomber strategy. If you lose to it, it sucks but its not worth going out of ur way to beat by playing cards like maexxna.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
I thought Shadow Word Pain and Cabal were a given. :/

ANYWAYS.

(i just noticed)

wasn't the cumulative cost supposed to be $28?
This is actually appealing. (though I'm no less broke)

Each wing is 7 dollars individually but as a bundle, 4 wings is 20, 3 wings is 15, and 2 wings are 10. And gookie, you're not the only one, I'm saving up gold too.

Ok, I love Antonidas. Gave me 3 fireballs along with the one caster monster to play them and a frostbolt to deal out 27 in a turn to snatch away victory. Anyone know a better burn build with it? I just have him in my pseudo-frost deck for now, would like something more related to it I guess.

Acklow

Just opened Cenarius. It's a shame I dusted all of my druid cards. Now I'm going to have to make a druid deck...

gookie Yeah, I did it with Midrange Hunter, but not the Mukla version because I don't have Mukla :(. Explosive Trap has become a double-edged sword with Nerubian Egg now. By the time Naxx came out though, I was already pretty close to Legend (Rank 4) so I was somewhat fortunate. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I finished the climb however. Zoo doesn't always have it early on and when they did, I usually had a way to deal with the 4/4 (Deadly Shot/Freezing Trap/Hunter's Mark + minion). I even baited someone into playing their Nerubian Egg by playing Freezing Trap to get them to think it was Explosive :P (sent back a Flame Imp).

I'm working on a guide for it at the moment (my first one, so I'm hyped). I'll give you guys a little preview. This is the list I played:

Less Beasts than usual, but I'll continue to make changes to this, especially given the crazy nature of the meta right now. I've overall liked the personal touches I've made to it (Faerie Dragon over River Crocolisk and no Oasis Snapjaw are the most noticeable). I could see Stampeding Kodo or even Loatheb over Stranglethorn Tiger now and Ironbeak Owl has more merit in this meta. Faerie Dragon was insane vs. Miracle Rogue. I'm not a fan of Haunted Creeper so far. Snapjaw isn't a bad choice and fills that now empty turn 4 that this deck is missing, but I don't really like vanilla minions :P.

On another note, has anyone had issues getting the second wing in Naxxramas? I heard on the EU and Asia servers people are purchasing it and the wing isn't unlocking for them. Some people have gotten refunds, but many others still haven't. Blizzard said if you restart the client after 10 minutes you're supposed to be refunded, but it hasn't worked for a bunch of people. Kinda glad the NA server, which I'm on, is getting the next wing last in this situation :/

Last edited:

Acklow

I notice you run Boar. Is there a reason for that over say, Timber Wolf or other minions?

Also mind you I run certain cards because I lack others (like I don't have 2 Explosive traps). I feel like the one thing this deck does lack is card draw outside of Buzzard+UTH. I'm considering dropping Alpha and Hyena and possibly Cobra over some other cards (as well as Snipe). I just don't have the cards that I feel would make an impact. I used to run croc but I dropped it in favor of creeper which I like since it's really cost effective. This deck is one of my own concoction but I feel like I do really well with it most of the time. The only problem I've run into is when I face a random token deck where I can't seem to draw UTH (happened to me twice today too :\ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)